Playoffs Smogon Tour Season 31 Playoffs - Finals [Won by Lusa]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 1 Predicts
Hey guys, no-name Hematemesis here to do some round 1 predictions. Take all of my predictions with a grain of salt, as per usual. This is just analyzing the points of each players, past results, etc. Idt I've met any of these players 1 on 1.

1. Giannis vs Pohjis - For the 1 vs 16th seed game, this is probably the game I had the hardest time picking. I think it'll absolutely come down to who wins SM. Giannis and Pohjis are both seasoned stour players, who have won in the playoffs, and are very nice as well. I want both of them to win, which makes me sad that they play round 1. Enough sobbing, I think that Giannis having more points in SM than Pohjis, as well as being by far the most dominant SS player in the tournament will overcome Pohjis. This will be a series to catch for sure.
2. SoulWind vs JYT - On the flipside, SoulWind should cruise through round 1, as he has numerous times before. He is long overdue for his first trophy, and is a favorite to win it all. JYT, however, is one of two players I have never heard of in this tournament. I have a hard time seeing SoulWind lose here (famous last words).
3. Tricking vs Skypenguin - Tricking is also overdue for a stour win. With the best SM point total in the tour by a mile, Tricking is an excellent candidate for a deep run of stour. Conversely, Skypenguin's best tier is SS (the most "up for grabs" tier/least solved tier in the format IMO), and he is lackluster at ORAS. This could be close, but the great maldini has a pretty strong case for the win here.
4. John W vs Vileman - As a daft punk fan, I wanted to bold Vileman here. However, John W just came out of a dominant SPL performance, crushed it last stour, and has fantastic youtube content to boot. John W also has a fantastic grasp of the SS metagame - 2nd only to Giannis in my opinion, although points may disagree - which is the metagame where upsets will probably happen most often. Additionally, John W has a case for beating Vileman in his most dominant tier, ORAS, because their point totals are quite close. If Vileman is to win, I'll eat my words, but I'm relatively confident in John here.
5. egalvanc vs Ktutverde - Finally, my first upset. Despite egalvanc being nearly indomitable in SS, he is comparatively way under the mark for SM, and average at best for ORAS. Ktut also won an SS tour, which proves he is at least above average in the SS pool, and has double digits in every tier. I'm trusting Ktut here to win solidly, despite the egaltour hype.
6. Lusa vs Tace - This is basically spl bias, but I think Tace is going to smash Lusa. Tace is my sleeper pick for crushing the tour (despite him going up against another one of my winner picks in the 2nd round, I'm still confident he'll dominate Lusa and Skypenguin if it gets to that). This is my most confident pick, despite knowing Lusa to be competent as well. Tace will win in 2 regardless of tiers, and probably make semis as well.
7. xray vs iNoLife - iNoLife is the other player I hadn't heard of, but I actually like his stats a lot. He's very dope at SM, and will probably beat xray there, and can even contend with xray in ORAS. However, iNoLife has a horrendously low SS stat, and even in the easiest tier to upset in, xray will probably win in SS and ORAS. This will, nonetheless, be an exciting game to watch.
8. Eternal Spirit vs Ox the Fox - This was the hardest one for me to bold. I really just had to go with the name, as the stats make me believe it can go either way. Ox can contend in ORAS easily and has the advantage in SS, but E.S. looks poised to crush in SM. I think this will come down to a coin flip in ORAS, so I went with my gut. I think that either of these guys will lose to either Giannis or Pohjis in the 2nd round anyway, but nonetheless, this will be the most exciting match of the first round.

So, for who I think will win it all. I'm thinking either SoulWind, or the winner of Tricking vs Tace in the potential 2nd round will take it all (xray deserves a trophy, but has a really difficult bracket). Rooting for any of these people except the two I don't know (sorry, I'm sure you guys are great too). Enjoy!

Last edited:
Shockingly...being a top player doesn’t entitle you to be an asshole to everyone around you, even if you’re “joking”. What we say matters. Tricking winning is a dark timeline for me because he’s just going to set an example that this type of demoralizing behavior is acceptable. It’s not. Of course, Tricking is a good player. He uses creative strategies and makes plays most people don’t even think of to make the chat go LOL for a solid 20-30 minutes every week. There’s a certain level of undeniable skill there, but I can’t say I support the guy anymore. On the flip side, Skypenguin takes his craft really seriously from building to playing and would be a splendid winner. He has had a rocky run, man seemed cursed, but when he has not been held back by Lady Luck, he has manned up and won his games impressively. It’s obviously a close series and it’s even more obvious at this point that I’m quite bias, but it’s just a prediction and it’s my prediction and I really hope Skypenguin wins.

He wants to be smogon greatest,
There's just one thing he needed,
He will never give up, never rest,
Till he gets the pink trophy!

Trying time and time again,
From gens 4 to V triple I,
Makes the playoff every time,
But is always denied!

Smogon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

Trophy Stolen by
Luigi

Smogon Tour
Playing every weekend,
When will it ever end?

Smogon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

(A game so screwed,
He loses even if his opponents threw)

Top of the pack through and through,

Smo-gon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

Gotta win that Trophy

Season 25 ends today
And Soulwinds time is now
But then Blunder makes play after play
And clef and gastro drowned

The final of season 30, is coming quick
To beat Empos all he needs
But the medi starts to kick
And then the axle mosa cleans

Smogon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

Trophy Stolen by
Luigi

Smogon Tour
Playing every weekend,
When will it ever end?

Smogon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

(A game so screwed,
I lose even if my opponent threw)

Smo-gon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy
Gotta win that Trophy

Gotta win that Trophy
Gotta win that Trophy
Gotta win that Trophy

Smogon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

Trophy Stolen by
Luigi

Smogon Tour
Playing every weekend,
When will it ever end?

Smogon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy

(A game so screwed,
I lose even if my opponent threw)

Smo-gon Tour
Gotta win that Trophy
Gotta win that Trophy

Go SoulWind Ox the Fox Skypenguin xray and other people whos names I'm too lazy to type out!

Edit: I figure you people don't want to look at a what I assume to be about a 30 line post, so I reformatted, wy even though no one asked for it
Should've ended it with "the grind never ends"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)