Smogon University PO Statistics — January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lum Berry is run on SD Sandslash for precisely this reason, Missy would just end up eating a +2 Night Slash or Stone Edge and dieing. Sableye, granted, would pose a problem.

Can we just agree that both Sandslash and Claydol suck and are terrible ?
Claydol outclasses the hell out of Sandslash in RU. What makes you think it'd be any different in UU?

Claydol might not be the best Pokemon to use in UU, but it's really the only choice for replacing Donphan.

Claydol outclasses the hell out of Sandslash in RU. What makes you think it'd be any different in UU?

Claydol might not be the best Pokemon to use in UU, but it's really the only choice for replacing Donphan.
I don't play UU at all. But I am theorymoning that the additional psychic typing might give it problems against bisharp and Weavile in UU.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't play UU at all. But I am theorymoning that the additional psychic typing might give it problems against bisharp and Weavile in UU.
It's true that it does lead to problems vs. Bisharp and Weavile, but Donphan already had problems with Weavile since it's weak to Ice Punch, and Bisharp sucks. Run Cobalion or something and you're covered against Bisharp, Choice Scarf Heracross solves the problems with both.

Why dont we just agree that both Sandslash and Claydol have their own niches and that both of them make decent spinners in the lower tiers? This is such a silly arguement - if you feel your team prefers Sandslash, use Sandslash, and if you need Claydol, then use Claydol. Both of them are decent and have reasons to use one over the other, so let's stop arguing over them and have a more useful discussion, hmm?

Smashpass is good, but I find that full BP is much more consistent. I was able to peak in the top 5-20 range several times with a full Baton pass chain team.

But yea, Baton Pass is a stupid move and should be banned...it contributes nothing positive and promotes stupid autopilot teams.
autopilot teams? sign me up pl0x

I'm kind of sad that deo-d has become the new deo-s, but like so many other things, I probably could have seen it coming had I bothered to actually think about it instead of charging right into the ladder.

If Scrafty actually does end up falling to UU, there will be a shit fit not seen since Heracross.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mew is actually the highest Pokemon under the cutoff (3.2%), whereas Toxicroak is the lowest above the cutoff (3.5%). We'll see how this shapes up.

standard
| 49 | Toxicroak | 13768 | 3.563% | 10849 | 3.363% |
| 46 | Toxicroak | 422 | 3.088% | 367 | 3.123% |

If it wasnt for that damn rain, toxicroak would be UU in a heartbeat where it belongs. Your never seeing toxicroak outside of a rain team. rain in OU took alot of pokemon that should be UU.

Also
| 37 | Hydreigon | 20652 | 5.345% | 17242 | 5.345% |
| 29 | Hydreigon | 728 | 5.328% | 636 | 5.412% |

Has anyone noticed that this is the first Gen not to introduce a dominating Psuedo legendary?

Also
| 37 | Hydreigon | 20652 | 5.345% | 17242 | 5.345% |
| 29 | Hydreigon | 728 | 5.328% | 636 | 5.412% |

Has anyone noticed that this is the first Gen not to introduce a dominating Psuedo legendary?
um d-nite in gen 1?

I guess the popularity of terrakion(and till some extent virizion) is a reason for hydreigon's problems.

I still don't understand why people use Donphan.
At all.
He's a horrible Rapid Spin user, and he has no niche outside of that except for his weak ice shards.

I still don't understand why people use Donphan.
At all.
He's a horrible Rapid Spin user, and he has no niche outside of that except for his weak ice shards.
Sun teams need a Spinner that isn't weak to Fire or have its main STAB move have its damage cut. Donphan also resists Rock, which many Sun Pokemon are weak to.

Sun teams need a Spinner that isn't weak to Fire or have its main STAB move have its damage cut. Donphan also resists Rock, which many Sun Pokemon are weak to.
Name one Fire Blast Donphan is taking in or out of sun....Forteress isnt taking any either so sun does not play a factor there. Forteress is actually better in sun because it apreciates the water resistence, as does Donphan. It comes down to rock resistence+weak ice shard vs more hazzards+more resistences.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Name one Fire Blast Donphan is taking in or out of sun....Forteress isnt taking any either so sun does not play a factor there. Forteress is actually better in sun because it apreciates the water resistence, as does Donphan. It comes down to rock resistence+weak ice shard vs more hazzards+more resistences.
Donphan has a higher Attack stat and STAB on Earthquake as well. It also doesn't get trapped by Magnezone.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah, but Tentacreul also works in sun. It doesn't need to fire off water STABs, and its a great check in rain. It sets up TS, and spins. Its water typing is also ideal in sun, so I think it plays off better than Donphan, considering it resist fire blast with water typing, and if another weather is up, like say sand, and the resisted hits won't be sun boosted. Rain teams don't carry the fire, and hail teams are also stopped by Tenta, its better than donphan when in sun, regardless of scalds power drop. You really want the burn at that point

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't use Sun teams, so this is mostly theorymon, but doesn't Earthquake rape Sun teams? Why would you add another weakness to the most common move in the game when you have a Pokemon capable of taking it on in Donphan? Donphan actually has some bite to it too, as opposed to Tentacruel.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
EQ would, depending. Like, take for instance, GLiscor and Landorus. they are very common EQ pokemon, but will any of them like taking a Fire Blast from sun to the face? But if they get in freely, which sand teams usually use EQ, they will struggle However, Latios, and Chlorophyl users don't exactly care about EQ. Volcarona's bug typing protects it from being prone to EQ. I don't usually run sun myself to be frank, but I do know that they usually are fast and they aren't entirely weak to EQ. However, its main concern is not EQ, but rocks. SR will kill Sun. Which is why the need a spinner. Which brings me back to the topic at hand;

Tenta is better than Donphan, however, if your team is EQ weak, like Articblast proposed about EQ weaknessess, Donphan can take those better. It depends on your team, but in theory, Tenta is better.

Not to mention that SR is a vastly more useful entry hazard for your spinner to be able to setup than T-spikes.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I don't use Sun teams, so this is mostly theorymon, but doesn't Earthquake rape Sun teams? Why would you add another weakness to the most common move in the game when you have a Pokemon capable of taking it on in Donphan? Donphan actually has some bite to it too, as opposed to Tentacruel.
Gliscor is outsped and usually ohko'd by the most common ninetales set. Eq from landorus rapes ninetales and...that's about it. Maybe heatran too if you're using one. Forget about sun teams...no team in general should ever find itself being destroyed by earthquake. Usually, tentacruel is the second and the last weakness on sun teams at all.

I prefer forretress. It's a dragon resist that can lay multiple hazards while spinning and can volt switch out of the steel type Pokemon that no sun team should ever have any problems with to begin with. Plus, it can go the specially bulky route, can actually harm certain gengar, and gets more opportunities to spin as well. Using donphan wil probably require you to dedicate your steel type to another Pokemon, and even your sr setter if you want to use stone edge on him. Not usually worth it in my experience.

Donphan checks Terrakion and Dragonite, two huge threats for Drought teams. Landorus, Tyranitar, and Gliscor is countered / checked. As an added bonus, you get to set up Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin at the same time while being able to Rapid Spin. You also could deal considerable amount of damage to Jellicent, if it matters at all.

Also, I don't think anyone else has noticed this...
| 47 | Yanmega | 3137 | 4.549% | 2689 | 4.582% |
If Yanmega keeps this up, he may make UU. I don't think that will last long though, because...
| 51 | Chansey | 12331 | 3.191% | 10074 | 3.123% |
...you-know-who probably will leave OU. Sucks, because I like Yanmega...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)