Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

I have an important question.
Can you do multiple eggs at once and then check? Doing eggs 1 at a time is extremely tedious.

Basically, I'm asking if the second egg you hatch will be the next RNG spread? If it is, doing 5 hatches rather than 1 at a time can prove to be a huge time saver.

Can you do multiple eggs at once and then check? Doing eggs 1 at a time is extremely tedious.

Basically, I'm asking if the second egg you hatch will be the next RNG spread? If it is, doing 5 hatches rather than 1 at a time can prove to be a huge time saver.
I'd rather take tedious and guaranteed over hatching box fulls of eggs and having to check every single child. I plan on giving this method a test run later on today.

I'd also like to know if it ever gets reset without actually getting another egg.

Could you trade after a reset, take the pokemon out, then ideally get a proper breeder traded to you to take advantage of it? I'd imagine this could be helpful if you find a child inherited a random 31, 30 iv(for hidden powers) or 0 iv.
After i lock an Egg i battle many times , level up and when i put the Parents it produce the same Egg that was "locked" so i think that when u lock the egg it doesnt matter what u do after that.

Don't know if this has been covered but is the uninherited stat also fixed?
For example, I got a 5iv egg 31/xx/31/31/31/31 from parents 31/xx/xx/31/xx/31 and xx/xx/31/xx/31/xx
what I know now is that the Atk stat is the uninherited stat. So can I SR until I get a 31 IV on that Atk stat?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Can confirm or at least back up gender ratio affects egg rng abuse. Spent a couple of hours wondering why the hell a Kangaskhan wasn't inheriting the IVs breeding with my Bulbasaur that was predicted by my pair of Magikarps. Someone on IRC said that gender ratio might be affecting it, so I swapped out Kangaskhan for a female Bulbasaur and bam, it inherited the IVs predicted by my Magikarps.

So yeah, kinda messes up breeding for Kangaskhan it looks like, possibly other 100% male/female Pokemon? I don't have a Ditto atm so can't test that out, but I dunno, maybe that would let it inherit the IVs since genderless breeding works with Ditto using this method I thought I heard.
The best way to test a genderless would be to use another genderless Pokemon to get the test IVs, to see what's inherited. It may not be necessary, but at least that way you're ruling out any other variables.

The best way to test a genderless would be to use another genderless Pokemon to get the test IVs, to see what's inherited. It may not be necessary, but at least that way you're ruling out any other variables.
I thought the same thing so I tried using Shedinja +Ditto to test the IVs (for faster egg hatching purposes). Whether it's because the gender ratio changes from Shedinja to Nincada, or something else but it did not work. The IVs weren't inherited.

Everything works fine if I use my Beldum + Ditto to test IVs though.

For example, I got a 5iv egg 31/xx/31/31/31/31 from parents 31/xx/xx/31/xx/31 and xx/xx/31/xx/31/xx
what I know now is that the Atk stat is the uninherited stat. So can I SR until I get a 31 IV on that Atk stat?
Yes, that's absolutely possible.

Tested this using a 0 pefect IV parent and a 6 perfect IV parent, only the first egg's IVs get locked in.

So, gender can be locked? For example, I test the IV's with 2 Magikarps, the offspring is Female. Then I switch to 2 Squirtles, the offspring will be female too?

(The gender ratios are different, I know, that's why I'm asking).

Many thanks to this thread. This will definitely save time. How much time saved is very situational and variable though (if you have the desired IV parents).
Using this method I exploited and got a 4iv on my first egg, and 5iv on my second egg. Did it in less than an hour. But again, it is very situational...

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, gender can be locked? For example, I test the IV's with 2 Magikarps, the offspring is Female. Then I switch to 2 Squirtles, the offspring will be female too?

(The gender ratios are different, I know, that's why I'm asking).
Depends on the frame you're hitting. If it's all female, then it will be female, if it's only 50% female, it won't.

For reference, I've calculated the chance of getting perfect IVs without this method and assuming true randomness.

6IV from 6IV and 6IV parents: 1/32
5IV + specific IV in specific stat from 6IV and 6IV parents: 1/192
6IV from 6IV and 5IV parents: 7/384 (~1/55)
6IV from 6IV and 4IV parents: 1/96
6IV from 6IV and 3IV parents: 3/512 (~1/171)
6IV from 5IV and 5IV parents, imperfect IV in different stats: 1/96
6IV from 5IV and 5IV parents, imperfect IV in same stat: 1/192

The RNG method will probably be faster if you're looking at a probability of 1/96 or lower using the normal method (because the RNG method requires you to hatch 2 eggs per attempt rather than 1).

I can confirm that partaking in a link trade does not affect your seed.

I had a seed featuring attack as the wildcard IV with nothing good to use it on, so a friend traded me a set of his parents and it worked like a charm.

Yes, that's absolutely possible.
Are you sure, iruchii? I've tried this with a 5 IV egg where Attack was the uninherited, nonperfect stat and it seemed to be set in stone. No number of resets changed the value.

Yea i've used this method to try to get a HP fire protean froakie by switching in the parents whenever I'd get a 28-30 iv in speed, sp.a, or attack.

I've checked countless times and it is set in stone.

Are you sure, iruchii? I've tried this with a 5 IV egg where Attack was the uninherited, nonperfect stat and it seemed to be set in stone. No number of resets changed the value.
Yea i've used this method to try to get a HP fire protean froakie by switching in the parents whenever I'd get a 28-30 iv in speed, sp.a, or attack.

I've checked countless times and it is set in stone.
After putting in the parents, you reject the first egg, then save. This is the save you will be soft resetting for to change the IV inheritance. If you save any other time after rejecting, the IV's will be set in stone.

So basically accept the second egg and hatch it. If its not what you want, then SR to when you rejected the first egg. That way the seed is randomized, because the IV's are determined sometime between rejecting the first one and when the second one spawns. Hope this helps, because I feel like I'm not explaining it well enough.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think I can explain in a bit of detail why you reject the first egg when you start breeding (sorry if it has been explained before).

The basic matter is because from what I have found, assuming you save before you put your Pokémon into the day care, take the first egg, hatch it, then reset, & do it again, you will find (assuming the same mother) that the nature, the gender & the ability of the child will be fixed regardless of the male, & the IV's will be different, but only with different males. That is, if I breed the same Male Chesnaught with the same Female Diggersby for example multiple times only saving before I put the two in the day care, I will find that the IV's of the Bunnelby, as well as the already pre-determined ability, gender, & nature will be the exact same every time. And this is assuming both Pokémon are not holding items. Like for example, I have been getting the same Bunnelby in recent tests, that is Female for the gender, Quirky for the nature, Pickup for the ability, & "Capable of taking hits" for the characteristic, with stats of 11 HP/5 Atk/6 Def/5 SpA/6 SpD/6 Spe. This basically means the characteristics of the Pokémon are fully predetermined even before you put your two parents in, assuming the same parents each time.

By saving before rejecting the first egg then taking the second, you ensure that the next egg you take will always be random in nature, gender, ability, & IV's assuming no items. I have tested this multiple times with the same two parents as before, & have gotten wildly different Bunnelby each time. This is why you always reject the first egg, then take the next egg for the sake of soft resetting.

tl;dr, Fixed properties of the first egg means it is better to reject the first egg.

I can't get this to work. Here's what I do.

1. Place two Magikarp in, I've calculated all their stats (give or take one in some IVs). One with DK, one with ES.
2. Ride around until first egg. (Egg 1)
3. Reject first egg. Save
4. Ride around until next egg. (Egg 2)
5. Receive and hatch egg. (Egg 2)
6. Check IVs (BI - Lvl 50)
7. Realise wrong IV inheritance.
8. Soft Reset.
So we start again, right after rejecting Egg 1

9. Ride around until next egg appears again (Egg 2)
10. Reject next egg. (Egg 2)
11. Ride around until next (Egg 3)
12. Recieve this egg (Egg 3)
13. Hatch
14. Check IV, and soft reset, etc etc..

Here's what's happening as far as I can tell. I can't get this to work due to the fact that the stats are either stuck between SpDef being random or Spe being random. Sometimes the IVs are from different parents, but it's always stuck with SpDef or Spe, or no change at all. I don't understand how I can have such bad luck, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong?

Am I not rejecting enough eggs? Does Everstone do something weird to it?
I thought that you're just meant to reject the first egg after a soft reset so the one after that will be a "new" egg.

But it seems it's always stuck between those two stats being randomized, and I'm quite bothered...

EDIT: Btw, I've done this around 20 times, in case you were wondering! :O

Last edited:
After putting in the parents, you reject the first egg, then save. This is the save you will be soft resetting for to change the IV inheritance. If you save any other time after rejecting, the IV's will be set in stone.

So basically accept the second egg and hatch it. If its not what you want, then SR to when you rejected the first egg. That way the seed is randomized, because the IV's are determined sometime between rejecting the first one and when the second one spawns. Hope this helps, because I feel like I'm not explaining it well enough.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, this means that if I get a shiny egg, I can SR for the desirable IV spread since the PID is locked in but the IVs are not?

EDIT: I saved right after rejecting an egg and then got a second egg. The uninherited IV was Def and that stat never changed after resetting again. So is the uninherited IV value set in stone? I was under the impression that you could reset the uninherited IV to a desirable value (0-31).

Last edited:
I can't get this to work. Here's what I do.

1. Place two Magikarp in, I've calculated all their stats (give or take one in some IVs). One with DK, one with ES.
Are you referring to fish from different countries? I think (in my experience) that babies of different editions will kind of mess it up unless the "new parents" are also both not from the same place.

This is exactly what I did. As DunnoBro and nyczxjay corroborate, the random IV remains unchanged after resets. It seems the IV RNG calls are made before the day care man even has the second egg.

Also, this person claims to have reset a shiny Froakie into a normal one, suggesting the PID is not predetermined, but this is contrary to our other evidence. Was human error involved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)