Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

Hmmmm, very interesting... A couple of questions, since I'm away from my game and will be for some time:

1) How does this interact with items that force an IV to be inherited? Say you got a male 31/31/31/x/x/x and a female x/x/x/x/31/31. You go through with the method and come out with a 31/31/31/x/31/x baby. If you equip the fmeale with Power Anklet, can you force the baby to go 31/31/31/x/31/31?

2) Does this method set the nature in stone if not using an everstone? What if you use it for the "dummy" pair but not the intended pair?

3) Reading previous posts, it seems that the non-inherited stat always has a random value. If you come out with a desired 5IV spread, can you keep soft-resetting to get a perfect 6IV spread?

I had another question, but forgot it while I was writing this. :P I'll post it later if I remember it.

Hmmmm, very interesting... A couple of questions, since I'm away from my game and will be for some time:

1) How does this interact with items that force an IV to be inherited? Say you got a male 31/31/31/x/x/x and a female x/x/x/x/31/31. You go through with the method and come out with a 31/31/31/x/31/x baby. If you equip the fmeale with Power Anklet, can you force the baby to go 31/31/31/x/31/31?
It's not guaranteed, no. I was trying it last night with a perfect father and random mothers, changing up the power item on the father. By changing it (mother had destiny knot), one of the other IVs he had been passing down got removed from his pass-down list.

Of course, this was with him already having one power item equipped prior to checking IVs. I'm not sure how it'd work if he wasn't holding one and then you equipped it.

So digging deeper,

That randomized stat, is it randomly chose and set when the egg is rejected or upon recieving/egg is produced?

Reason being, that if the inherited IVs are picked when the egg is rejected (which seems to be the case) and the random stat is rolled at a different point or separately, then....breeding 6 IV babies could be dropped down to a 1/32 chance it seems.

EDIT: seems i'm not the only one who wants to know this, but If you saved at the right time, you could reset, take a small amount of steps and get the egg that way?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's set at the same time the IVs that are inherited is decided.

I'm using a Vivillon with Compound Eyes and a Ditto as the 'spread test group'. I got a Father/Mother/Mother/Random/Mother/Mother spread and swapped to a Gale Wings Talonflame, the offspring was a Fletchling with Gale Winds, so the abilities really aren't locked.

Can confirm or at least back up gender ratio affects egg rng abuse. Spent a couple of hours wondering why the hell a Kangaskhan wasn't inheriting the IVs breeding with my Bulbasaur that was predicted by my pair of Magikarps. Someone on IRC said that gender ratio might be affecting it, so I swapped out Kangaskhan for a female Bulbasaur and bam, it inherited the IVs predicted by my Magikarps.

So yeah, kinda messes up breeding for Kangaskhan it looks like, possibly other 100% male/female Pokemon? I don't have a Ditto atm so can't test that out, but I dunno, maybe that would let it inherit the IVs since genderless breeding works with Ditto using this method I thought I heard.
maybe the inheritence isn't gender-dependent at all, but PID-dependent? it would explain the gender correlation with pokemon that have the same gender ratio and the odd results with different gender ratios and genderless mons.

It's set at the same time the IVs that are inherited is decided.
so then the best bet to get a 6 IV baby would be to save BEFORE you reject the egg, then go through if the process, pending that the randomized stat roll is determined after.

I read that if Ditto is bred with a Male, Ditto assumes the female role. So if it breeds with a female, it assumes the male role? Just wanted to make sure because I tried it out yesterday with a female pokemon + ditto and it looked like it was not working.

EDIT:
It was kangaskan but I just read about the issue someone else had wherein it may have to do with the 100% female ratio thing so that may be a thing.

so then the best bet to get a 6 IV baby would be to save BEFORE you reject the egg, then go through if the process, pending that the randomized stat roll is determined after.
That would completely defeat the point of doing this. If you do that, and run into a favourable spread, you will be unable to reset and still have that spread.

That would completely defeat the point of doing this. If you do that, and run into a favourable spread, you will be unable to reset and still have that spread.
well if you're going for a 6 iv that is, then you'd go for that way. I feel like the current method benefits 5 IV spreads.

Agonist

If you;re going for hex 31, then reset until you find one that gives the 6th stat a 31, then get your egg.

well if you're going for a 6 iv that is, then you'd go for that way. I feel like the current method benefits 5 IV spreads.
Saving before you reject the egg means that you have a different result generated each time. If you want that, you might as well just do 5 eggs at a time the normal way, much faster.

Unless I'm missing something here and that saving before rejecting the egg keeps the same RNG results.

It does as far as I've tested, but the question is, (which I haven't tested) does it randomize the 6th stat when you do it that way?

To me, it just seems like this method isn't saving us anymore time. All it's really done has increased our understanding of IV inheritance this Gen, and I guess that this could be the gateway to cracking the RNG this Gen, but ultimately I won't be using this method because it doesn't save enough time to warrant doing so.

To me, it just seems like this method isn't saving us anymore time. All it's really done has increased our understanding of IV inheritance this Gen, and I guess that this could be the gateway to cracking the RNG this Gen, but ultimately I won't be using this method because it doesn't save enough time to warrant doing so.
It saves a lot of time if you have decent - perfect parents (easy to come by with the Friend Safari). There's no guesswork once you find the inheritance pattern. Even with some of the garbage results (i.e. randomized IV is HP) I can still breed a 4 IV Pokemon and then finish it off with this process. I must say that PokeMiles make this much easier: Rare Candies are a must to know the exact IVs (avoids ambiguity of the judge).

By the way, I don't think the game retains its RNG roll if you save BEFORE rejecting the egg. I've tried it multiple times and received inconsistent results (any error at all shows this isn't the proper way to proceed).

It saves a lot of time if you have decent - perfect parents (easy to come by with the Friend Safari). There's no guesswork once you find the inheritance pattern. Even with some of the garbage results (i.e. randomized IV is HP) I can still breed a 4 IV Pokemon and then finish it off with this process. I must say that PokeMiles make this much easier: Rare Candies are a must to know the exact IVs (avoids ambiguity of the judge).

By the way, I don't think the game retains its RNG roll if you save BEFORE rejecting the egg. I've tried it multiple times and received inconsistent results (any error at all shows this isn't the proper way to proceed).
I understand how it CAN save time, but when you already have a box of male pokes in every egg-group with four to five 31's, then you might as well just breed the old fashioned way since its just a matter of swapping the female parent once or twice before reaching the 1/10 chance of hatching perfect 'mons.

I disagree, mainly due to the additional time of hatching + releasing unwanted Pokemon. This method is convenient, reliable, and in almost all situations faster than traditional breeding.
Yes, but then you lose out on spitbacks to trade for others spitbacks. I guess to me, it's just less fun this way, and so it's just a matter of preference. Anyway, I feel that this is slightly off topic so I'll leave you guys to discuss things. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited:
I understand how it CAN save time, but when you already have a box of male pokes in every egg-group with four to five 31's, then you might as well just breed the old fashioned way since its just a matter of swapping the female parent once or twice before reaching the 1/10 chance of hatching perfect 'mons.
I disagree, mainly due to the additional time of hatching + releasing unwanted Pokemon. This method is convenient, reliable, and in almost all situations faster than traditional breeding.

Agonist

^ this.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Having done a few rounds of this, I can confirm it works as described.

Still I stand by my original statement that there isn't much value in doing this (in terms of real life time saved), other than not having to deal with a bunch of spit-back eggs (which you can Wonder Trade away, something you want to do for PokeMiles). This could be useful for certain harder-to-breed Pokemon like Togekiss and Lucario, so its useful as a supplemental tool of sorts.

This is at least better than having a quad and tri perfect IV spread parents and constantly getting junk. Pinpointing and at least progressing in the road to 6-flawless is a bit easier.

You know you can also drop by the battle institute and start a single battle, it doesn't make you save and you can check the stats at Lv 50, which almost always narrows it down to within 2 IVs. Then just reset if you don't like.

Assuming you're like me, and don't have high IV breeding parent mons to start with, you'll still have a few spitbacks trying to find the right IV parents so you can get a given inheritance spread to work (unless you keep resetting till you find the exact one that works for 2 specific parents without perfect IVs, which is just as time consuming). Think I had several 3 and 4 IV Heracross before I finally got a right combo for quint flawless since the game hates me.

So is this how I would like to start breeding a Goodra?

1. Catch Sliggoo and Ditto in the friend safari
2. Find out what stats will be passed down and put in the respective Pokemon that will best fit that bill.
3. Get a bunch of these and then repeat the method with two quad-flawless Goomies with the desired nature and such.

Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So is this how I would like to start breeding a Goodra?

1. Catch Sliggoo and Ditto in the friend safari
2. Find out what stats will be passed down and put in the respective Pokemon that will best fit that bill.
3. Get a bunch of these and then repeat the method with two quad-flawless Goomies with the desired nature and such.

Is it that simple or am I missing something?
It works best when you have a large pool of potential parents to work with, so yeah this sounds about right.

So, with the Destiny Knot, it takes IVs of either parent and gives it to the baby, or combine from both parents? I keep reading different things.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So, with the Destiny Knot, it takes IVs of either parent and gives it to the baby, or combine from both parents? I keep reading different things.
It takes 5 different IVs from both parents. for example you could get HP, Speed from the father and Attack, Defense, Special Defense from the mother, leaving Special Attack uninherited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)