SPL X - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Dont need to pretend that you decided to not play my boy, everybody knows the truth. :blobshrug:

And im pretty sure nobody will pick you next year either because you are retarded lololol. Keep yourself safe and quit, its the best you can (and should tbh) do.
I'm not "pretending I decided to not play," you dipstick. I'm saying it was a blessing in disguise I didn't have to.

Lay off tennisace's Kool-Aid, bro.

I'm not "pretending I decided to not play," you dipstick. I'm saying it was a blessing in disguise I didn't have to.

Lay off tennisace's Kool-Aid, bro.
If it was such a blessing then why did you spend weeks after the draft had already happened and spl started continuously bitching and moaning about how you weren't drafted but other players were. Just seems like you have nothing better to do so you come on to comment spitefully about a tour you wanted to get into but didn't. Stop shitting up the thread bro go live your life and quit it with the incessant complaining and definitely do NOT act like not getting into SPL was a blessing when you're still here posting in the threads every single god damn day.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
bitching and moaning about how you weren't drafted but other players were.
it just doesn't make any sense that one of SPL's most successful players ever went undrafted, while a dude who hasn't played in years and was never a notable player of the metagame he desired to play went for 17500, then proceeded to go 0-4 and get banned :blobshrug:

Just seems like you have nothing better to do so you come on to comment spitefully about a tour you wanted to get into but didn't. Stop shitting up the thread bro go live your life and quit it with the incessant complaining and definitely do NOT act like not getting into SPL was a blessing when you're still here posting in the threads every single god damn day.
I absolutely have nothing better to do, but I only check the forum once a day-ish. It amuses me that half a dozen literal whos jump out of the woodwork at every opportunity to throw rocks at me for no reason anytime I say anything. If you morons would stop going out of your way to insult me and instigate I wouldn't have a reason to continue posting. And you aren't even on the Tigers, why are you jumping down my throat for literally just defending myself from a couple of salty losers (read: Tigers players) mad they wasted nine weeks of their time just to end up in the same place I did.

Valentine

Banned deucer.
BIGs! What a season guys. It was a joy to be a part of this team. Interacting with old friends, meeting new people, and spending time together over the past months has been a joy. Many were skeptical to see us ranked #2 on power rankings, by the end here i feel we proved our ranking wasn't out of place. Dave and Windie, you guys did an exceptional job with this draft, both the power rankings and this result should confirm that. Key underperformances early in the season made it really hard to mount a comeback, but holy shit if we didn't almost pull it off.

Stone_Cold what can i say man. i cannot thank you enough for giving me a shot when nobody else was willing to. i don't know how much of the draft you vs windie did but my god what a draft. you had some amazing premier picks and some of the best pocket picks in the tournament. sometimes players under perform but that's life. i think there were a lot of things early on easy to criticize in this draft - and you were certainly criticized for many of them. 16.5k xray is quite a high price, but my god if he didn't dick down the whole ORAS tier. 17.5k flcl quite high, especially for a tier like BW, my god if that didn't work out wonderfully. your combination of premier players and cheap pocket picks made a really sound draft, and you should be very proud of your work here. for all of the shit i gave you throughout the season, managing properly is a hard position, and you did it wonderfully. thank you, sincerely, for giving me another shot.

Windsong you're not even on the team are you? windie, i find it really easy to relate to you, life gets fucking hard sometimes and i feel me and you are on the same wavelength with that. i hope the best for you, and again, congratulations on the success with this roster. thank you for your wise words and guidance throughout the season and I hope you are doing well. you and dave deserve all the credit in the world for threading together such a strong roster. hope you're well.

xray damn holy motherfucking shit, GOD SCANNER. xray you're a motherfucking beast man. before this tournament i've never been high on you, and to be honest I thought 16.5k was a high price to pay.. shit, for any player 16.5k is high. but after watching your preparation throughout the weeks, I can say with 100% surety that you are the best ORAS player on the website. your play is so thoroughly accurate, your builds are unique and planned out. blunder doesn't gas you for no reason. and to be honest man, blunder stopped playing ORAS the week tyrants vs bigs because he was scared to play against you. you're a fucking beast IRL too, it was awesome to see your snapchats throughout the season of beer pong and getting the ladies. i cannot say enough positive things about you man. thank you for slaying ORAS, thank you for testing SM, thank you for being a beast. BIG ups

Kushalos hey kush. i know nothing about your tier and i really did not want to influence your team choices or play in any way shape or form. if i talked to you more i was seriously afraid of making off-hand comments on your teams and fucking them all up. NU is your bitch and you handled it well.. you're super self sufficient and it was a joy to watch you lead the ship here.. solid consistent backbone of the team. i could have made an effort to get to know you better .. i was afraid of fucking something up

Nails jesus mother of god. if Lavos is the best player on the website (sorry gotta plug West), Nails you're second. i learned so much about the game just from spending time and talking with you. you're obviously very busy crushing VGC tournaments, playing other games, IRL meetups, I do appreciate the time we spent together playing gartic and our discord chats. it was eyeopening to get your view on the game and it's truly astonishing to think about the craziness and wildness of it all. thank you for taking the time to get to know me a little, it was a pleasure to get your take on the game and gain some understanding from that. you're an absolute beast of the player, and you have an insane understanding of gamestates and all of the possibilities going on in a game. you really could pick up any tier and quickly rise to the top. you're at the top of your game and you're a beast nails. it was a pleasure.

FLCL lowkey i've been wanting to team with you for five or six years now. when dave bid on me as the last player in the auction the kid inside of me went crazy. when i made the pilgrimage to smogon from PO, i watched the SPL players and their games. you were crushing NU at the time and were always sporting only the best anime avatars. you were the exact person i wanted to be .. i VMd you saying something like 'what's your favorite anime' and you dropped 'boku no piku'. i've always loved your sense of humor and god this gets gayer the more i type but I feel we are really similar people having grown up from a similar background. i've tried managing with you in the past, you were always taken .. i've just always wanted to team with you and it was a real pleasure for me. thank you for always being here??? how can i say this in a way that isn't gay. thank you for letting me use dance like you want to win during my OST run. thank you for recommending me shows that have become my favorites of all time. i really appreciate you fooly, and even if it was from a distance, I really loved teaming with you this year

Sabella oh god. as i mentioned early in the season, you've been an inspiration to me for current gen OU for quite some time. i've always loved your builds, and copied some of them for use on West. it was pure joy teaming with you this year. you're an absolute SM savant, you churn out builds so consistently and you're very in tune with the meta. thank you for taking me under your wing and letting me use your builds. some of the best times i had in this tournament were testing and wading through the amazing teams and ideas you had. i think this season cements you as a top SM player and people better start payin respect and homage to this young lord. you carried SM so hard when push came to shove. motherfuckers look out, Sabella is coming

UltraBallz really hard to mention Sabella without MagmaBallz. You and Sab churned out the best builds i've ever seen in this tier. you have such an eye for building man it's actually insane. You were building for four or five slots at one point. God, it's such a shame you don't live on West coast .. West would be stealing you in half a second. Really excited to watch you carry your WCOP team, kind of nervous if i'm honest. It will be a challenge to keep up with you. You are such an amazing team player. Such a solid builder, such a solid player. You've got an amazing eye at metagames and how to cover the most threads while building. I love your give-no-fucks attitude either - you are such a triple threat. Dude it was so nice to get to know you. Thank you so much for your consistent support and help in SM. as Sabella has already mentioned he appreciated your help this year and there's no way him or I could've done so well without you. Thank you UB

KingKdot impossible to mention the OU builders without giving you a shout. you were a super positive chat presence the whole season and helped bounce SM ideas and builds as well. i don't want to take too much away from sabella or UB but you did help loads with testing and building. thank you Kdot!

soulgazer blah blah blah, you've heard it all from me before. the first SPL i managed tigers i bought you immediately. you're such a consistent player, one of the players with the best SPL win percentage over time. you're such a ridiculously solid player. you've picked up countless tiers over the years, even random shit like RBY and had above average performances. when we traded sage away and weren't quite sure what we were going to do for UU, i was planning on picking up the tier and taking it on myself. i wanted to do what was best for the team and contribute the best i could. when you caught wind of this, you insisted on covering this weakness yourself to allow me to play a tier i was more comfortable in. this was a very selfless thing man and i really appreciate you evaluating the needs of the team and doing what you could to help out. Team Cancer Without ABR turned out to be a lie.. you've always been kind of a nice guy huh? Omfuga really was the problem child all those years ago. you've been a friend to me for years. thank you so much for that sg ;~;

Ezrael oh my god what a beast. this is the World Champion VGC player (runner up) if you plebians didn't know!! Jon you stepped up huge when it mattered. you're a professional and you deserve to be on the worlds biggest stages. Doubles is way too complicated for my monkey brain and I really respect and appreciate the talent and art you bring to your play. you're won huge amounts of money playing this game. you meet IRL people, make new friends and have real experiences. I sit at home on a computer monitor wasting my weekends. you're so amazing when you try .. and it was a pleasure to watch you do it

Golden Sun dude jesus christ. this is the motherfucking king of ADV right here. during the mock drafts before SPL i got this guy for 10k and thought it was the craziest steal of all time. BIGS picked him up for 3.5k seriously who is drafting these teams omfg this was such a ridiculous pick up. Golden Sun, you're one of the best to ever do it and when I was drafting for SPL years ago I could only dream of having you on my team. it was such a treat to test with you, and realize how much I don't know about the tier. You have a deep knowledge and understanding of the tier .. Thank you for bossing for us .. I hope to see you in future tournaments and I hope we can team again

sig daaamn, talking about budget picks. obviously i met you a long time ago, we had one brief conversation and i'm really surprised you remembered me and my ideas. obviously you're cool as fuck, a super cool rave party dude. you and i would get into some serious trouble if we met IRL, i feel .. I would suffer ego-death and probably never find my ego again. Which is cool. Psychedelics are great. You're a solid player and Dave was right to pick you up. Good luck on South .. Excited to watch your progression in the scene. Pleasure to see you again after all these years .. If you want to get into the anime industry lets make a show. Oh or any other industry!

KW ay thats my boy. thank you for all the SM tests. when john vs me wasn't going to happen i knew you were the best SM player we had on the bench. you've got a really solid understanding of SM tiers. i think when you're clicking fast the game is really flowing well, and you're following the game. maybe you get inside of your head when you play? maybe it was just an unlucky start. something weird was going on mentally in your RU games that just wasn't present when we were sparring in SM OU. maybe it's the pressure from the big stage .. all I know is that you're an excellent player and I know you can put up better results than you did here. thanks for being a good teammate even when dave finally subbed you out. you were helpful throughout the weeks and it's too bad you didn't get to crush pak. nice to meet you my dude

Googly it's hard man. it is so hard. dave picked me up with the understanding that I would have to fill in GSC a couple of weeks. choolio spent time teaching me a couple of things but that tier has so many intricacies i really feel i did not have enough practice in order to perform well against the top players. you're primarily a current gen player and I was painfully aware of that during the weeks you played GSC. you are such a trooper .. I have so much respect for you sticking it out in that tier when it's against the top competition. GSC really is a tier where the top players can stand out, because it takes such concentrated thought and deep understanding of common gamestates to pull off wins consistently. even when you went 0-2, you went in and got our first and only GSC win against Mr Numbers. i have deep respect for your resolve and sticking with it even though it was hard. choolio really is a piece of shit. or maybe he was actually busy who the hell actually knows. i wish I had the confidence to switch tiers with you .. i know you could have performed better than me in SM but i did what I was comfortable with. you did what you could for the team and i'm eternally thankful for that. thank you for covering our biggest weakness

Lunar. we teamed before on tigers .. we're assassin brethren .. always a pleasure lunar. super awesome to talk with you on call briefly and meet emily again! thank for you being such a positive team presence and being willing to do anything you were asked of for the team. you're definitely the nicest user on smogon.

choolio maaaaan really man. i'm thankful for the information and scouting you did previous to my game with conflict. you were doing your absolute best to teach me the tier and you wanted to watch me succeed. you put in a lot of work and i'm thankful for that. i'm sorry it didn't work out.. we watched the game back and you pointed out all of my mistakes. you're a wonderful, patient teacher, and I have deep respect for your knowledge of GSC as a whole. it's unfortunate you couldn't play more this season but it is what it is. hope you're doing alright .. too bad we couldn't fly closer to the sun.

Cased man i could slap you in the face for getting yourself banned. i was so hyped when we actually got you I knew it would fix some of out key slots and we would've had a more solid allaround roster. thank you for sticking around and helping where you could even after the ban. nice pull btw.. and thank you for your continuous humor and videos

Bushtush dude every team should have a bushtush. resident punching bag, easy target .. bush plays this part super well. but i owe a lot of my success this season to bushtush. when things go poorly IRL or i'm stressed out from work I have a tendency to shut down and stick to myself. i was having a particularly shitty week and REALLY did not want to deal with SPL or anyone else really. bush was the one to PM me and bully me until I was willing to respond and talk to another person! i'm not sure if you were aware tush but you pulled me out of a really dark place and helped me start talking with sabella and UB again and helped me beast. I'm really thankful for those PMs and the influence you had on the team. not sure how helpful your suggests actually were but your companionship and attitude really do add a lot to a team. just don't let anything get to your head .. when your ego flares it's too funny.. it will get you in trouble

God these shoutouts took a toll and I can't really think of any finals words. It was a super fun season and I'm thankful I had the opportunity to participate. Looking forward to the next big team tour .. WEST BEST!

Finally have time to give some proper thanks to my managers and teammates who helped make the last month probably the most fun I have had on Smogon since I joined. SPL was an awesome experience if only I didn't time out week 5 we could have made one of the biggest comebacks you will ever see smh I am a dumbass.

Stone_Cold and Windsong thank you both for giving me the opportunity to play for you guys even though I wasn't really on your radar when the draft started. You were both awesome; always positive and encouraging. Even when we were doing horrible you guys kept the atmosphere positive and without that I don't think there was any shot we could have turned it around. Also Windy big thank you for helping me out when I was building RU despite hardly knowing wtf I was doing at first lol

Sabella you are the best teammate anybody can ask for man. Way to take leadership when the season was in the trash and put up such a good record. Best 7.5k buy you will ever find. Building OU with you was so easy, I felt like we were always on the same wavelength and that helped us turn around a really horrible SM OU start into really a good team record by the end

Valentine you are such a fun guy to have around haha always encouraging and gassing up everybody. And also you are pretty damn solid at SM, what a run to end the season. I would love to team with you again you were a blast to talk with

soulgazer I never talked to you before SPL all I really heard was the "cancer without ABR" jokes etc but you are a great dude and teammate. I had a lot of fun making fun of Bush with you and wish you the best

Kushalos I know you wish the last couple weeks could have turned out differently but you are clearly one of the best NU players on the site. If anything, I think that is the one of the things I regret was not having us try and help you out a little more because I feel like for the most part you were building/prepping solo which is always so hard to do

Ezrael I still have no clue what is going on in doubles games but I know for 3.5k you smashed the hell out of this tier. Great job man it was a pleasure teaming with you

xray I have known you for a while but never really had the chance to talk to you as much as I would have liked until this tour. You are legit ORAS god and your building/prep was insane. No wonder you went 7-2 lol you are a machine. Next year you will make playoffs finally I have faith lol and I'd love to be part of it with you

sig clearly you were as good of a midseason buy as anybody could ever hope for. I didn't know you before this tour and when I heard "LL tutee" I had my doubts. jk jk. But yeah awesome job, be proud of yourself and I know bright things are ahead for you. Oh and keep up with the BM'ing I loved that

FLCL congrats on your great record. Second time in a row I got to team with you and you have been nothing but a good teammate. Obviously one of the best players on the whole site and it showed

Golden Sun thanks for coming out of retirement to get us some big ADV wins for min price lol. I know last couple weeks were frustrating but you were a pleasure to team with and I hope you stick around

Nails I am glad we are both Midwest so we can team again for wcop. You have such a great understanding of RBY and are in general such a good dude. More people should use freeze spam I don't think they understand how broken that shit really is

KW thank you for being a good teammate despite the bad start, I know you wish things had gone different in some of those games. You clearly have a great understanding of RU and will get to prove it again

Lunar. pretty sure I have said this before but you are legit the nicest person on this entire site. I have got to team with you twice so far and would be happy if that continued for every tour I play keep being awesome

choolio thank you for being the only person at the start of the tour that had some fire/emotion I think we all could have used a little more of that and it inspired me to be a little more outspoken towards the end. I hope everything with you is going well and if you choose to be done with the game best luck in your future

Googly thank you for doing your best and getting us our gsc win in the week we needed it the most even if you wish you could have had some better results the other weeks. Couldn't have had the shot week 9 if it wasn't for your win, it was a pleasure teaming with you

KingKdot thank you for being my friend and putting up with me for so long. You and the rest of den were the first people I met and talked to after joining this site and I am happy for that. I know your input probably helped me get on this team in the first place so thank you for that too and good luck in wcop, you are a beast.

Bushtush its not letting me tag you probably cuz your banned and idk how Val did it but it's not worth my time lol. You are such a fun dude to talk to and mess around with, people probably have a bad perception of you because you are a terrible troll lol but you are great. Thanks for all the fun over the course of the season and we definitely wouldn't have made it to where we ended up without you.

Cased you are a piece of shit for getting banned because clearly we could have used you lol but either way there is no way we could have made our comeback the second half of our season without you helping and leading us. It was fun getting to know you and if you ever get freed again I would love to team with you. Also, can't tag you either cuz banned lol

For me, having to learn a tier I never really took seriously before was a really fun experience. I probably played more RU than anyone on this site the last month lol and I am glad it was able to pay off with some wins. As I said, the second half of the season was so much fun and I am glad you all were a part of it. And to anyone who I may have butthurt the last month just get over it, this is a video game I wasn't insulting your mother lol.

MAGMA BIGS

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

i'd like to point out the fact that for the rby player pool who played more than half their team's games, price correlates extraordinarily well with results. bo3 is not a luxury that every tier has* but it does wonders for consistency in what is generally considered a chaotic tier, and mostly i just want to shine a positive light on a tier that tends to get a bad name but doesn't deserve it.

*rby doesn't have bo3 primarily to mitigate luck. in an ideal world every tier would be bo3 but it's not feasible to prep 3 teams per week in every other tier. there are advocates for bo3 every tier anyways (hi BKC) but that's not what this post is about.

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
Oh lord Nails brought it up, heat.
It should be clear by now that having rby players never going past 10k is kind of dumb. Before saying more; i get it, totally, i'm not here to call people stupid for having different opinions especially if very justified. Rby is in fact a madhouse of variance and if you don't play it, kind of looks like a pile of garbage which it is, but there is more to it. How do you think the various "Peas/Prinz/Roudolf" got famous and raised such a huge crowd behind them? By being consistently great. There are ways to play the tier like a fucking boss, or as a scrub and i'm pretty sure it applies for all tiers. If you want to insult then gen, i'm with you it sucks, but do you know what else sucks? Lemme list it:

Gsc: I love this gen, i think it is the most competitive alongside Bw2, but it also made me scream as hard as rby at times, i mean the most used move is Thunder, this could not end well.

Adv: I used to play adv as my second main but i quickly grow tired, 3 layers of Spikes was the first istance that the game was going to shit even more, switching is the most pure and competitive thing the game has ever offered, and the biggest reason i love so much rby and gsc by contrast. I still like to watch adv and i think it has a lot of skill in it.

Dppt: Is probably the worst ou, the main problem is the lack of wifi clause therefore it is a consistent guessing war, this is the only gen where you can literally put your breaker in and just click random a move with random.org and run away with it. How many times i used Orb Dragonite and random Superpowered a Breloom into Tar/Tran? Way too many, but people says nothing about it.

Bw2: Is really balanced at times (when people doesn't go 6-0 with match up lord Reuniclus/Volcarona), there is not much i can say aside from that problem. Oh right weather sucks because just two really viable but it is a very cool tier overall, probably the most competitive today.

Oras: The tier i know the less and watch the less, so i will abstain.

Sm: All the way there, i had a lot of time to build up thoughts by helping a friend testing over and over. This tier is great at times or totally abomination, the game went as far away from the start as it could go, and i hate it. Legalized "Deoxys Attack" Kartana doing 500.000 hps to resist unless x4, Toxapex taking eqs from grounds like nothing and scalding back because there's regenerator anyway.. the concept of types was so cool and fascinating, but nowday it can be ignored by some mons. You want to switch your Steel on Tapu Lele's Psychic? It better be Celesteela or it takes 50%. And of course there are Z moves too, when i thought Stealth Rocks could not matched up, here they are 200 bp moves of any type you need to make most games about guessing them. And once you think "ok AV Magearna can check Gren" he goes Z Dig and ohko.

The day we remove all those problems, or at least aknoledge them i will support removing rby from spl, but only if it is a total clean work and we end up with Gsc Adv and Bw as only tiers. It's far too easy to shit on the tier(s) you don't play, watch yours and then comeback, maybe then we can have a real healthy discussion.

Oh lord Nails brought it up, heat.
It should be clear by now that having rby players never going past 10k is kind of dumb. Before saying more; i get it, totally, i'm not here to call people stupid for having different opinions especially if very justified. Rby is in fact a madhouse of variance and if you don't play it, kind of looks like a pile of garbage which it is, but there is more to it. How do you think the various "Peas/Prinz/Roudolf" got famous and raised such a huge crowd behind them? By being consistently great. There are ways to play the tier like a fucking boss, or as a scrub and i'm pretty sure it applies for all tiers. If you want to insult then gen, i'm with you it sucks, but do you know what else sucks? Lemme list it:

Gsc: I love this gen, i think it is the most competitive alongside Bw2, but it also made me scream as hard as rby at times, i mean the most used move is Thunder, this could not end well.

Adv: I used to play adv as my second main but i quickly grow tired, 3 layers of Spikes was the first istance that the game was going to shit even more, switching is the most pure and competitive thing the game has ever offered, and the biggest reason i love so much rby and gsc by contrast. I still like to watch adv and i think it has a lot of skill in it.

Dppt: Is probably the worst ou, the main problem is the lack of wifi clause therefore it is a consistent guessing war, this is the only gen where you can literally put your breaker in and just click random a move with random.org and run away with it. How many times i used Orb Dragonite and random Superpowered a Breloom into Tar/Tran? Way too many, but people says nothing about it.

Bw2: Is really balanced at times (when people doesn't go 6-0 with match up lord Reuniclus/Volcarona), there is not much i can say aside from that problem. Oh right weather sucks because just two really viable but it is a very cool tier overall, probably the most competitive today.

Oras: The tier i know the less and watch the less, so i will abstain.

Sm: All the way there, i had a lot of time to build up thoughts by helping a friend testing over and over. This tier is great at times or totally abomination, the game went as far away from the start as it could go, and i hate it. Legalized "Deoxys Attack" Kartana doing 500.000 hps to resist unless x4, Toxapex taking eqs from grounds like nothing and scalding back because there's regenerator anyway.. the concept of types was so cool and fascinating, but nowday it can be ignored by some mons. You want to switch your Steel on Tapu Lele's Psychic? It better be Celesteela or it takes 50%. And of course there are Z moves too, when i thought Stealth Rocks could not matched up, here they are 200 bp moves of any type you need to make most games about guessing them. And once you think "ok AV Magearna can check Gren" he goes Z Dig and ohko.

The day we remove all those problems, or at least aknoledge them i will support removing rby from spl, but only if it is a total clean work and we end up with Gsc Adv and Bw as only tiers. It's far too easy to shit on the tier(s) you don't play, watch yours and then comeback, maybe then we can have a real healthy discussion.
You guys had me after nails' post no need to start listing completely wrong or hyperbolic statements about other tiers

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
the general point is that we all play variance madhouse tiers but some people are choosing to draw an arbitrary line that goes "nope this is too much" when they look at RBY. is RBY the tier with the most variance? hard to prove one way or another, but it's undeniably up there. but if people want to exclude RBY over variance when every tier we play is based on it I think that's just pushing a personal agenda from people who dislike RBY and see a good excuse to try and make a case against it.

I don't really care and tourDs can do whatever, I've always wanted to get good at doubles anyway, but I do believe that the remove-RBY-from-tournaments movement is driven by hate for the tier rather than valid objective reasons. I don't see how RBY variance has drastically bigger effects than variance in other tiers, fundamentally any game in any tier can be lost or won on a hydro pump miss, and I think that if people looked at RBY without prejudice and with knowledge about the tier's ins and outs they'd agree with this point.

I also believe RBY OU is a broken checks broken fuckfest and this accentuates the effects of variance on the game, but I don't think bans of 10-15 mons from the tier are a realistic expectation so I'll leave that argument for my fantasies

Bro he right about sm theres no crazy crit shit but man to a non sm main this tier looks absolutely bonkers. Good post troller i understand your point and it was enjoyable to read.
Tbf, SM is absolutely bonkers. Signature moves / abilities, Zmoves, stat creep and more has gotten out of hand. RBY seems pretty bad but every gen looks more or less disgusting if you spend some time on it.

i'm not the biggest dpp fan for sure, anyone who knows me can attest to how much i have bitched about this tier in the past. however i think it needs to be said that the "extreme variance" we have seen this year can be more so chalked down to lati dropping right before the tournament which caused some pretty severe changes to a previously quite settled metagame, rather than it intrinsically being even more variance heavy than rby or something lol. i think roscoe and i showed before the drop that consistency is absolutely possible in the tier - he had something amazing like 15 wins between 2 spls, and i followed up finishing in the finals of the dpp cup with an 11-2 combined record between wcop+spl. nails' stats on dpp and rby are very cool and all that but they don't really show much other than the fact that the 9 weeks of this particular season support his view.

if we look at the rby records for last season, there is pretty much no correlation between price and record, with the best record going to a 3k player who was ranked in last place in the power rankings, but the top 2 ranked players (who were also the 2 most expensive) both failed to net positive records. meanwhile, the top 3 dpp records all went to top 4 ranked players in the PRs, showing that players who were generally thought to be good were those who succeeded. now, i'm not saying this shows that rby sucks or that dpp is the most amazing skill based tier ever, it's just that you can spin the stats to support any view you like. it's not unfathomable that after all these spls, perhaps the next year another tier will just so happen to end up having a neat correlation between price and record.

in the end almost every pokemon format is gonna have some form of variance. definitely some do more than others, but i think we need to look further into the stats than just 1 season to determine that lol

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I'm not going to add up the numbers but I kinda wonder exactly how well price correlates with record across all tiers anyway. Being only familiar with the GSC field these days... the correlation is pretty bad, not necessarily inverse but certainly all over the damn place. (This year: Lavos on top of both with ol' 4500 dzeronut right behind him, Cased/EW being total money sinks while Fear showed he was worth it.)

Although it really speaks more to managers' evaluation abilities than anything.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
This kinda discussion does make me think about the shit MetalGro$$ seems to get for how he plays. To me it seems to come from people who really dont understand RBY and so dont really have any understanding of what he does that makes him so effective. The dude can play, his record isnt an accident..

I think the margins are pretty fine at the top of RBY, but there is definitely a gap. My advice is get yourself a proper top tier RBYer. If you think the top tier is fewer than 10 players, then you'll probably have to throw some pennies at it.

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
From SPL's worst-over-three-seasons manager, take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think price correlates with skill in one tier necessarily. Particularly for people in the upper echelon. An RBY player that can provide more to other tiers and shift around should generally be worth more (Alexander) than someone who can do nothing else (lets say Marco).

The same should hold true in all other tiers. There's a pretty general theme with price and expectation, with very few players breaking say 20k without being expected to contribute to the team beyond their own slot. This is also the reason someone like myself would never break 10k for example, I simply don't prep nor play the other tiers enough to make the price worth it.

So, ultimately, I think trying to find correlations between price and performance is a little misguided as a player can offer a ton more than what their specific record indicates.

edit: Also on the subject of RBY solely, there are definitive tiers of players. Those of us that play the tier all the time can see it extremely clearly. John said it, I think, before but RBY really is a tier that's easy to get "good" at (aka, round 5 or whatever in RBY Cup) but, at least in my opinion, very difficult to become great at. SPL has a few good, some great players in it. Take Troller for example, nearly everyone that has watched him play prior to and in SPL knows he is pretty outright the best RBYer at this moment. Metal is in that upper tier too, Hip, and the opinions of the people who know best know this so who cares about stours lobby or whatever.

BD is a stupid system. Instead of BD we should have tiebreak rounds.
Note: as a Naga in Snake I got into playoffs by 1 game of BD. As a BIG I missed tiebreaks on 2 games. Both times it was idiotic and neither thing should have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)