Metagame [SPOILERS] Scarlet & Violet OU Discussion [BAN LIST POST 626]

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's a picture i poorly made in MS paint to sum up the move from the SS meta to the SV one:
View attachment 466203
hope you like it
After bans maybe, but early SS OU went from the most hyper offensive meta in Smogon history with Dynamax, to a Corv / Clef / Toxapex stall hell post ban. It took well over a year for SS OU to even somewhat look balanced and even then we had two DLCs to flip the meta on its head each time. It worked out, eventually.

Similarly early SV is going to be total ass but that's every single Pokémon game early into the gen. But as bans accumulate things will calm down.

Then again it took Smogon like 7 months to ban Dracovish so who knows how this will all work out.

Good, it shouldn't be that way to begin with. Although we all can't stand the way Game Freak designs pokemon games, they do have a point of limiting/nerfing certain moves. For the last 2-3 generations, I had to constantly deal with the generic ass Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Chansey stall which many players seem to adore. It was also very strange that Smogon did absolutely nothing to regulate these CHEAP ASS WINS which completely defeats the purpose of a true competitive nature in the metagame, especially for players like me who wished for a much more offensive formatted playstyle. All players would have to do was send out a mon with moves like Recover, Toxic, Leech Seed, and Spikes all on one single mon in order to dominate and shine throughout the metagame. It shouldn't take a single mon over 20 frickin turns just to KO a damn pokemon with all 4 of their moves being status. I've always hated defensive stalls with the absolute f-ing passion. I never thought this day would come, but Game Freak actually managed to nerf tf outta stall mons for the better.

I know I'm not the only one who criticizes the lack of regulation for defensive mons and to increase the usage and potential of offensive opportunities. But I'm very pleased that offensive mons will become much more viable in competitive and hope to stay that way for good.

Historically, smogon has always favored the defensive archetype over the offensive one. If you look for OU bans, and even some notable UU bans, there are few bans on defensive pokemons. Now the offensive ones are 5-10 bans at least per Gen. But I think that in this Gen, smogon can't do too much. Simply some broken pokes will be forgotten at first because there are even more broken pokes. It will form a kind of "queue", as soon as a pokemon is banned, another will be ready to replace it. With the walls main moves, like Recover, nerfed by some way(Removed from bigger part of movepool, having the PP reduced, and simmilar nerfs) some SwSh pokemons as soon as they enter will get broken a lot.
For example, some pokemons that Toxapex wall before, now can be broken depending on what core it is. After all, defeating a toxapex will be easier because without scald, physical pokemons do not fear burn anymore. Steels are immune to toxic, so some steels can enter Toxapex for free, because it can't do nothing against it, and thanks to its weak attack power, the maximum it can do is switch. Also, recover has less PP, so stalling Recover PPs is much easier.

The fact of Toxapex doesn't get banned before even walling a big part of mons, is caused by same reason that Digglet AT doesn't are banned on LC, even with AT gets recognized on all other metas as uncompetitive. I call it "Meta-stabilizers" or "Banlist Pushers", basically if they got banned, the metagaming will get worse, making even some mons get banned too. If Digglet gets banned, i doubt that Abra will survive on LC, for example. Having it make smogon never cogited their suspect test. On OU with Toxapex, same case. If Toxapex gets banned, some mons will be out of control and will also need to get banned.

A example of Tox stabilize metagaming is on Gen 7 OU.Their presence maked Greninja's movepool very restricted. Usually he need to dedicate a move for it. And greninja need to decidate other moves to other mons. Greninja suffered for the 4 move syndrome, because he need more than that, and one of mains reasons is tox. If tox don't exist on Gen 7, the moveset of greninja would be less compressed. Not look so big, but remember, one of things that greninja will not cover itself, he may need a mon dedicated to cover that weakness. If you could use the moveslot earned to cover against other mon that Greninja are weak, the mon dedicated for that weakness will no long be 100% needed and you can put any other mon that you could need more.

Last edited:
This def looks like it's going to be a scenario where I'll just be forced to wait for like 10 months for the game to settle and for DLC to drop and even things out. Really frustrating, but that's what it is. Not incorporating all Pokemon just seems like such a lazy ass way to offload GF's burden onto the players. So much of this new stuff is absolutely insane: the new Weavile, Super-Misdreavus, movepool changes, lowering all major recovery moves to 5PP.. Insane honestly. Meta will be a mess until the new mechanic is sorted out and Smogon is just slow to do anything it seems like so it's basically like the game is delayed another year for me.

Really happy that Scald and Knock off distribution got severely limited. Those moves were absolutely brainless spam attacks with virtually zero drawback to using them at all. Happy to see Scald go.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
When I first heard of the type changing gimmick months ago from early leaks/rumors I was incredibly down on Tera, but as time has gone on I've come around to it. Looking at your opponent's team and trying to figure out their Tera candidate or candidates based on their build and apparent weaknesses adds another layer of strategy and skill to the game, plus each mon is pre-locked to a type so it's not nearly as flexible as it could be. While I wasn't around for any of Gen 8, my understanding is that the only real use of Dynamax was to blow holes in the opponent's team or end the game. Tera, meanwhile, has defensive applications, and some bulkier Pokemon might benefit from changing type immediately instead of waiting lategame to sweep, similar to some Megas back during Gens 6 and 7. For example, depending on how mechanics shake out, Abomasnow can lead to set up snow and switch to Steel and be harder to kill so it can keep snow up. (Aboma may or may not be OU viable but it was an easy way to illustrate this idea.) I hope the community keeps Tera around long enough to identify if specific abusers are the problem (i.e. Megas) before deciding the entire mechanic is problematic and throwing it out.

Also, as much as I would enjoy hard stall dying, it is the cockroach of playstyles and always finds a way. Plus bans tend to be biased against offense mons, which depending on what they were good at could benefit stall when kicked out. Somebody will probably figure out how to run stall by the end of next year and get into an endless stall war that starts another Policy Review thread about timers or something.

Last edited:
crazy how people are calling stall broken and uncompetitive in one breath and asking to unban zama-c in the next

Personally, I only see 3 new mons that seem potentially bannable pre-DLC. Flutter Mane is the most obvious; it’s literally better Spectrier. I don’t think I’ve seen a single person arguing for this to stay OU, and for good reason. Secondly, Chi-Yu. Everyone’s been talking about Chien-Pao but imo marginally better Weavile is much less of a problem than Mega Houndoom with an item slot. This mon has literally no walls besides Tyranitar, and even that mon is a hard check at best when considering Ruination (not even mentioning Tera). Finally, and this one is a bit more debatable, but after looking through the meta, I don’t see what is switching into Iron Bundle. Hydro+FD is such amazing coverage that there’s really no way in OU of reliably answering even just those two moves, let alone any potential third or fourth slots, and its amazing Speed tier means even offensive counterplay is near-nonexistent. This one won’t be an immediate ban, but I’ll bet people will see the light eventually.

As for returning mons, if Lando-I starts in OU again I will laugh. Mon is nuts, especially with its funny new tool in Sandsear Storm. Same deal with honse; if Flutter Mane goes Spectrier really should as well. However, I could honestly see OU Magearna this gen. Gholdengo is such a massive thorn in its side, and with how offensive the meta seems to be leaning I could see it struggling to pull off its usual shenanigans. Hard to tell though, I think it and many others will probably leave OU in the future as well, but as of right now the ones I’ve mentioned are the only clear bans imo.

crazy how people are calling stall broken and uncompetitive in one breath and asking to unban zama-c in the next

Personally, I only see 3 new mons that seem potentially bannable pre-DLC. Flutter Mane is the most obvious; it’s literally better Spectrier. I don’t think I’ve seen a single person arguing for this to stay OU, and for good reason. Secondly, Chi-Yu. Everyone’s been talking about Chien-Pao but imo marginally better Weavile is much less of a problem than Mega Houndoom with an item slot. This mon has literally no walls besides Tyranitar, and even that mon is a hard check at best when considering Ruination (not even mentioning Tera). Finally, and this one is a bit more debatable, but after looking through the meta, I don’t see what is switching into Iron Bundle. Hydro+FD is such amazing coverage that there’s really no way in OU of reliably answering even just those two moves, let alone any potential third or fourth slots, and its amazing Speed tier means even offensive counterplay is near-nonexistent. This one won’t be an immediate ban, but I’ll bet people will see the light eventually.

As for returning mons, if Lando-I starts in OU again I will laugh. Mon is nuts, especially with its funny new tool in Sandsear Storm. Same deal with honse; if Flutter Mane goes Spectrier really should as well. However, I could honestly see OU Magearna this gen. Gholdengo is such a massive thorn in its side, and with how offensive the meta seems to be leaning I could see it struggling to pull off its usual shenanigans. Hard to tell though, I think it and many others will probably leave OU in the future as well, but as of right now the ones I’ve mentioned are the only clear bans imo.
Things like magearna and Lando won’t be in OU until home transfers are available in spring.

Slowking @ Icy Rock
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Chilly Reception
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Cetitan @ Sitrus Berry / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Ice Spinner / Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard / Superpower

Slowking is a nice pivot into this thing, and allows you to use Cetitan without having to build a whole team around it. The Snow gives it a defense boost which is great when considering that Ice is weak to three physical priority moves. You could even tweak the EVs around to invest some more into HP or PhysDef, but base 73 speed is barely enough to outrun some scarfers under Snow. Heavy Duty Boots is a potential option when considering the lack of suitable Defoggers.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Obligatory please Quickban Lando I, he will ALWAYS BE BROKEN, and please keep Zama and giratina banned
Outside of that, in my opinion stall is down but not out, as long as theres hazards, and sand, and hail, and toxic, and bulky waters, stall will live, besides, you never know if some of the crazy prehistoric mons will provide some hidden utility, besides, with the limited dex, and the super dangerous mon, perhaps we see another Clef/Corv/Toad core
As for good old little Maggie, at first glance Skeleridge walls her hard, Volcarona is also in the tier, heatran and cinderace will come back, I think offensevly she will be kept in check, deffensevly tho, i havent seen a special wall beetween the new batch of mons, i cant even shill for Chesnaught or Breloom because both get obliteraded

oh, so you can see pinchurchin in OU?
Pincurchin's the only reliable setter or Electric Terrain for Quark Drive Paradox Formes that will inevitably take center stage in the meta. And with solid utility options like Thunder Wave, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Memento, and a strong Rising Voltage, it's almost certainly going OU unless dedicated Electric Terrain strategies fall flat on their face. It is quite frail though and has no reliable recovery so it's forced to either risk a loss of any longevity with Terrain Extender or run Lefties and give its sweepers a shorter window to work with.

Historically, smogon has always favored the defensive archetype over the offensive one. If you look for OU bans, and even some notable UU bans, there are few bans on defensive pokemons. Now the offensive ones are 5-10 bans at least per Gen. But I think that in this Gen, smogon can't do too much. Simply some broken pokes will be forgotten at first because there are even more broken pokes. It will form a kind of "queue", as soon as a pokemon is banned, another will be ready to replace it. With the walls main moves, like Recover, nerfed by some way(Removed from bigger part of movepool, having the PP reduced, and simmilar nerfs) some SwSh pokemons as soon as they enter will get broken a lot.
For example, some pokemons that Toxapex wall before, now can be broken depending on what core it is. After all, defeating a toxapex will be easier because without scald, physical pokemons do not fear burn anymore. Steels are immune to toxic, so some steels can enter Toxapex for free, because it can't do nothing against it, and thanks to its weak attack power, the maximum it can do is switch. Also, recover has less PP, so stalling Recover PPs is much easier.
I was tryna say the same sh!t but I couldn't of worded it any better. What I've noticed 2 years ago (as you mentioned above) was that offensive mons were getting banned at the speed of light while defensive/stall mons would just sit there and dominate in competitive. I've prayed for these changes for years and it finally happened.

I do gotta admit tho that Scald being banned wasn't necessary at all and it was fun to use for both offensive and defensive mons alike. Gen 9 offensive mons like Palafin will undoubtedly be banned from OU in the 1st week or so.

In SM/USUM, defensive/stall mons would completely take over the metagame which I became infuriated. In SWSH, I thought that nothing would really change but I was wrong since the offensive and defensive mons would balance each other out which I respected but still wasn't my personal critique of battling. For this generation, SV, Game Freak did the unthinkable and managed to nerf the popular defensive/stall mons along with reducing the PP of their commonly used status moves. They literally made it so offensive mons can bully the living hell outta defensive/stall mons. I never thought this would ever happen.

:ss/Raichu: :ss/Raichu-alola:
Tera: Grass, Electric, Water, Fighting, Psychic*, Flying*, Ice
Explanation: Ok, so this will pretty much apply for almost every Electric type, but almost all the Mono Electrics are gonna be either Grass or Ice, for Grass Knot and Tera Blast Ice, and ones that have Electric immunity through their abilities will also likely become Flying or Water depending on the coverage. In the case of Raichus, they will also have the option for STAB Focus Blast as well, which benefits Alolan Raichu more due to Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak. They can also Super STAB themselves, which of course benefits Alolan better too.

:ss/Nidoking: :ss/Nidoqueen:
Tera: Ground, Poison, Fire, Electric, Fighting, Ice
Explanation: So Nidos are pretty much the same. There isn't much defensive merit for these types, as Nidos are best used as wallbreakers. Probably use Original STABs, Fighting, or Electric the most.

:ss/Wigglytuff:
Tera: Who cares?
Explanation: Unless Wigglytuff is massively buffed, it'd be a waste of time speculating what Tera type it'd use. Haven't seen Clefable on the list, so maybe it has Magic Guard and can use Fire. It is still Wigglytuff so you're just handicapping yourself by using it as a Tera Pokemon.

:ss/Venomoth:
Tera: Bug, Psychic
Explanation: Now that we know Terastallizing preserves your STABs, this makes Venomoth a lot more dangerous, in lower tiers, as now it can have STAB on Psychic without losing Bug STAB or Poison STAB. That it important since Tinted Lens means that only Steel types that quad resist Bug and Ghost/Poison actually resist Venomoth's STABs. With Psychic, Bug, and Tinted Lens it's kind of perfect coverage. The only resitance Psychic and Bug share is Steel and the 2 things that resist Psychic naturally are Bug weak. You can technically use Tera Blast+Type that shares only 1 resistance with Bug, but Tera Blast still has the issue of being useless if you Tera something else.

:ss/Dugtrio: :ss/Dugtrio-alola:
Tera: Ground, Rock, Dark, Fighting, Flying
Explanation: Regular Dugtrio is a very specific Pokemon because its main niche is to trap Pokemon. Most of the time I wouldn't recommend it since you're using your 1 time mechanic on something that's 1 and done on your team. You can use it if you really need to, but that is going to be very rare. Alolan Dugtrio in lower tiers is more of a standard offensive Pokemon and would use pretty similar typings for STAB. Main difference is that Flying can be used somewhat defensively compared to regular Dugtrio, which only uses it to trap Grass and Bug types.

:ss/persian: :ss/persian-alola:
Tera: Poison, Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: Both are mostly shitmons, and only Alolan Persian has any sort of real niche in lowest of low tiers. The best Tera for omptimizing your team would be Ghost, Fairy, and Poison, as all 3 beat Fighting, Bug, and Poison beats Fairy too on top of having Toxic Immunity.

:ss/Perrserker:
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Grass, Fairy, Flying
Explanation: Even though Perrserker is basically Persian-Galar, it is distinct enough to warrant its own analysis. Most players will probably think "oh wow Steely Spirit+Super STAB" when they think of Perrserker, and that is a fine option, but Perrseker can do more than Steel spam. It has Tough Claws and plenty of Physical moves to give STAB. Fighting for Close Combat, Grass for Seed Bomb and Ground resist, Fairy for Play Rough and Fighting resist, and Flying with Tera Blast while also combatting Ground/Fighting types.

:ss/Golduck:
Tera: Water, Ice, Fighting, Psychic
Explanation: Really just another shitmon that I can't say much other than a few types that it may be able to use. They also aren't particularly good outside of STAB as Golduck doesn't do anything. If it gets Energy Ball, you could put Grass on Golduck too I guess.

:ss/Primeape:
Tera: Ghost, Dark, Poison
Explanation: If it wasn't for its regional form being leaked, I'd say Primape would be great in lower tiers. But guess what? Its regional form supposedly is Fighting/Ghost. So what ever tier its regional form lands it, regular Primeape would just be a downgrade. In tiers lower, it can at least mimic its regional form a but with Tera Blast Ghost (or Ghost moves it gets in SV). Dark is basically Ghost but resisted by Fairy and at least can be used with Anger Point Power Trip and gives it a Physic immunity. Thankfully it also has Gunk Shot so Poison is pretty good option too.

:ss/Arcanine: (pretend Hisui Arcanine is here too)
Tera: Grass, Electric*, Fighting
Explanation: Here is the first Hisuian form and be warned that not much can be said about them as PLA has very crappy movepools, so it's hard to determine what Tera is right for them. If you look on Showdown, their movepools don't match their actual movepools. Anyways, being a Fire type with Flash Fire, Grass is definitely the best option. You remove 2 of Fire's weaknesses, become neutral to 1, and Flash Fire covers your great weakness as a Grass type. If you want Grass STAB, either hope Arcanine gets something in SV or use Tera Blast. Electric is also good since Arcanine can hit Water types without Tera Blast as well as Flying types (only useful on original form). Fighting is also good as it resists Rock, is neutral to Water/Ground, and also provides Fighting STAB.

:ss/Tentacruel: :ss/Toxapex:
Tera: Dark, Grass
Explanation: These 2 are very distinct Pokemon, but they are for the most part going to use Terastallizing the same way because both are defensive support Pokemon and would use both mostly defensively. Dark to make itself immune to Psychic, and Grass to resist Electric and Ground. Use Terastallizing when you need to however.

:ss/Slowbro: :ss/Slowking: :ss/Slowbro-galar: :ss/Slowking-Galar:
Tera: Fairy, Grass, Dark
Explanation: These 4 funnily enough all share their preferable Tera Types, although Fairy being more for Water-bros and Dark more for the Poison-bros. Grass actually really compliments them all and for different types too being Grass, Electric, and Ground.

:ss/Magnezone:
Tera: Fighting, Flying, Fire
Explanation: In the previous post I talked about Magnezone, and with the tweak to the mechanic, Magnezone is slightly better option. Fire Magnezone is stronger since most of us thought Tera Blast would be 60 BP, and it gets to keep it's old STABs. I still prefer Body Press sets with however with Tera Fighting for Tera Flying backing Magnezone up when needed, especially since Steel types can still easily escape Magnet Pull.

:ss/Muk: :ss/Muk-alola:
Tera: Grass, Dark*
Explanation: Similar to Primeape, regular Muk can only mimic what its regional form does by becoming Dark for Psychic types, but not even as effectively since Muk would be weak to Fighting/Bug/Fairy and lose its Toxic Immunity. Granted it's still better than no Terastallizing as it means regular Muk has a chance against Psychic types. Grass is also good for both Pokemon when facing Ground types and the Grass Immunities.

:ss/Cloyster:
Tera: Water, Ice, Rock
Explanation: Cloyster is a pretty unique Pokemon. It's considered the best Shell Smash Pokemon thanks to its massive physical bulk letting it set up easily, and having effectively dual 125 BP moves that break Subs. It was even the catalyst for (finally) banning King's Rock. Despite Skill Link, I think the best Tera is Water. It's neat that Icicle Spear don't lose power, but Water is what helps keep Cloyster together. It's why Cloyster is able to set up so easily as otherwise it'd need to set up as a pure Ice type, and its Water STAB is what prevents Cloyster from being walled out by most Steel types. Ice, and Rock provide STAB/Super STAB for Cloyster's Skill Link moves.

:ss/Gengar:
Tera: Flying, Ghost, Fighting, Poison, Grass, Electric, Fairy
Explanation: Guys, we finally have Gengar back with Ground immunity! Just Terastallize it into a Flying type! Gengar unfortunately has to deal with Dragapult dominating and outclassing it again. It will definitely still have a niche but only with Nasty Plot sets. It doesn't have much going for it sadly unless it drops to UU. All these Tera Types are useful on Gengar for STAB but also sometimes helping its weaknesses like with Ground and Dark. Dark would compliment its type the moves, but that would mean Gengar would be running pretty redundant STABs in Ghost/Dark. But hey, it become mini-Spectrier.

:ss/Hypno:
Tera: Fighting, Fairy
Explanation: Hypno doesn't have much going for it and can only really do a cheesy Belly Drum set or Wish passing in lower tiers. It was one of the few Pokemon with Teleport+Wish. Fighting gives STAB to Drain Punch and also resists Stealth Rock, Dark, and Bug too. Fairy would be generally better defensively for Wish Pass sets.

:ss/Electrode: (pretend Husuian form is here)
Tera: Grass, Ice, Steel
Explanation: Like with every other Electric type, Grass is usually the best because it beats Ground types both offensively and defensively. Ice is also usable, and in the case of Hisuian Electrode, it doesn't really have a use for Grass outside of Super STAB, Ice makes it worse defensively, and Steel doesn't help offensively much. It's a pretty bad Tera user mostly because Grass actually works well with Electric and also because Electrode has an awful movepool.

:ss/Chansey: :ss/Blissey:
Tera: Ghost, Fairy, Poison, Steel, Water, Ground
Explanation: I mentioned in the previous post that Blissey will be one of the top Terastallizers and I still think that may be true, but not as much due to what we know. Being the GOAT Special Wall, its only drawback was its mediocre typing, and additionally its much weaker Physical side. Adding resistances now makes Blissey hard to break past, especially when it comes to Physical Attackers who now can have their attacks completely halved. Same with Chansey as they are essentially the same Pokemon but use different items for the same tier.

:ss/Scizor:
Tera: Steel, Water, Flying
Explanation: Scizor wasn't talked about before in my previous posts, mostly because I thought Bullet Punch with Super STAB was mostly a meme, and it still really is only good for Choice Band and complete offensive sets. Water I believe is better option because what makes Scizor great is its defensive utility with its offenses. It's actually looks even better using Water since it retains its original STABs while covering some of its weaknesses. Flying is also actually useful thanks to Dual Wingbeat giving Scizor STAB on 80 BP Technician Boosted move.

(pretend there is a Kleavor here)
Tera: Rock?, Fighting?
Explanation: Like with all Pokemon originating from PLA, Kleavor isn't so cleaver because of its awful movepool from the game and it's really hard to say what it would even do. It has almost no moves, with the best move that works with Sheer Force being Rock Slide. We also don't know how its signature move in Stone Axe will work in regular setting and how it interacts with Sheer Force.

:ss/Tauros:
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Dark, Rock
Explanation: Tauros is yet another Pokemon who will just be outclassed by its regional forms its getting this gen and can at best just mimic them. Only thing it can do to make itself stand out is Steel or Rock for Iron Head and Rock Slide STAB.

:ss/Gyarados:
Tera: Ground, Grass, Flying
Explanation: Gyarados something that was OU viable but not OU by usage, so it wasn't talked about in the earlier post. However Gyarados looks like it'll be a top tier user. Ground and Grass help Gyarados with its Electric problems while also providing pretty powerful STABs in Earthquake and Power Whip. Flying is also an option to give Gyarados proper Flying STAB, but as always Tera Blast means you can Tera something else.

:ss/Ditto:
Tera: I have no clue
Explanation: Ditto is unique as its main niche is turn around games against sweepers and to actually PP stall. The only EVs that really matter are HP, and Ditto does use other EVs because there is no reason no to. Problem is that we don't know how Tera works with Transform. So it's impossible to actually say.

:ss/Vaporeon:
Tera: Grass, Ground, Fairy, Ghost, Steel, Fire
Explanation: Vaporeon doesn't have much going for it outside of Water Absorb, making it good for Water weak types like Ground and Fire. I just slapped a bunch of defensive typings otherwise. Grass is good on Water types it resists Grass and Electric.

:ss/Jolteon:
Tera: Generic Mono Electric, Flying, Water
Explanation: Generic Mono Electric, but with Volt Absorb

:ss/Flareon:
Tera: Grass, Fighting, Electric, Steel, Normal
Explanation: Flareon has a bit more flare than its og siblings. It can use Tera greatly offensively and defensively, but more often as to be the dedicated Tera user because of its movepool lacking. Grass and Steel of course being great because both types are weak to Fire. Guts can also be used with Fighting and Electric, and now can use Flame Orb. Says a lot that Flareon's biggest buff so far is being able to burn itself. Normal can also be used for Facade on those sets, and Normal looks like it'll actually have something that uses it.

:ss/Espeon:
Tera: Fairy
Explanation: Fairy is definitely the best type for Espeon because Fairy compliments Psychic offensively and defensively, and there Espeon doesn't do much else now that Baton Pass will be banned again.

:ss/Umbreon:
Tera: Poison, Fairy, Ghost, Steel, Water
Explanation: Umbreon is pretty much pure stalling and nothing else. Use the better defensive types, namely the ones that beat Fighting. Poison is the best one because it makes Umbreon immune to Poison, give Toxic guaranteed accuracy, and covers Fighting/Bug/Fairy.

:ss/Leafeon:
Tera: Fire, Steel
Explanation: Leafeon has the ability Chlorophyll. Since Gen 3, Sun didn't have a Fire type Chlorophyll abuser like Rain does with Water type Swift Swim abusers. This is pretty huge for Leafeon as the other Chlorophyll user above it in viability is Venusaur (which really says a lot more about Sun than Leafeon), and Venusaur is apparently not in the game. So Leafeon not becomes basically the default Sun sweeper, unless a new Chlorophyll user is introduced. It can't do much of anything in higher tiers besides become Fire and spam Tera Blast under the Sun. Lower tiers where weather probably will be banned, it can use Steel I guess.

:ss/Glaceon:
Tera: Water, Electric, Steel, Poison, Fairy, Ghost
Explanation: Glaceon is very glad to Terastallize and even more so after finding out it'll keep its Ice STAB. Not only can Glaceon go offensive better with extra STABs and not having such a garbage typing, but it can actually use more supportive sets, although only in a tier without other defensive Eeveelutions.

:ss/Sylveon:
Tera: Ground, Steel, Fire
Explanation: Sylveon already plays between Defensive and Offensive sets. Ground will hit everything that resists Fairy super effectively, unless they are airborne, and also requires Tera Blast (which actually shouldn't be as big of a deal due to Pixilate). Fire can also be used with Mystic Fire, hitting Steels and Poisons that wall it the most. Steel is for defensive Sylveon sets, as we all know Fairy/Steel may be the best type in the series.

:ss/Dragonite:
Tera: Steel, Water, Fire, Ice, Ground, Electric, Fighting
Explanation: Dragonite I did talk about last time, and being a Multiscale user means it's a great Terastallizer. Steel, Water, and Fire (and technically Ice) resist Ice. Ground and Fighting resists Rock. Fire, Steel, Ice, and Electric all make Dragonite immune to certain statuses. And all these types Dragonite has STAB for physically.

:ss/Ampharos:
Tera: Say it with me. Generic Electric Tera Types
Explanation: Generic Pure Electric Type.

:ss/Azumarill:
Tera: Water, Fighting, Dark, Steel
Explanation: Azumarill is a powerhouse with Huge Power, making it a top threat. It is also a top threat for more than just power. It has really solid defensive profile too. Water Tera will make Azumarill's Aqua Jets monstrously powerful. Fighting would give Azumarill STAB on Superpower. Dark gives Azumarill STAB on Knock Off. And Steel gives Azumarill nice resistances because remember it's also still pretty bulky and keeps its STABs.

:ss/sudowoodo:
Tera: Rock, Grass
Explanation: Super strong Head Smash or Dual Recoilless STABs and Ground/Water Resists.

:ss/Jumpluff:
Tera: Steel, Flying, Water
Explanation: Best thing Jumpluff can do is be annoying in lower tiers and making it so it resists more than half all types and compliments it well seems like the best route. Flying can let it make Acrobatics even stronger, and Water covers Fire and Ice weaknesses.

:ss/Sunflora:
Tera: Fire, Ground
Explanation: See Leafeon, but without defensive utility.

:ss/Quagsire:
Tera: Steel, Poison
Explanation: Quagsire is one of the most unique Pokemon competitively, and I say this because it manages to go into every tier, be decent, and do pretty much the same thing. It was also the ONLY true counter to Zacian-C thanks to Unaware, and barely enough bulk. Because of that, its job would be way easier if it resisted a lot of things and was immune to poison as well. Imagine there being a type like that. Completely unaware of such a typing.

:ss/Honchkrow:
Tera: Poison, Fighting, Flying, Dark, Steel
Explanation: Honchkrow is like a mini-Yveltal. Poison and Steel with Tera Blast can beat Fairy, and rest give you STAB.

:ss/Mismagius:
Tera: Fairy, Fighting, Fire, Rock
Explanation: Standard Ghost type Teras, but Fire and Rock letting it use STAB Power Gem and Mystical Fire.

:ss/Girafarig:
Tera: Depends, probably standard Normal/Psychic types, having Electric or Grass too
Explanation: Since Girafarig is getting an evolution, there will be some regular buffs for it and people will use Farigiraf instead.

:ss/forretress:
Tera: Water, Dragon
Explanation: Forretress is 4x weak to Fire, and Water or Dragon works as the best defense against Fire types.

:ss/Dunsparce:
Tera: Fairy, Poison
Explanation: Fairy and Poison beat Fighting, and the latter makes you immune to Toxic. Ghost shouldn’t be used because of Curse. I also believe Dunsparce is getting an Evo this gen too.

:ss/Qwilfish:
Tera: Just copy Tentacruel
Explanation: Forgot Qwilfish was in when making Tentacruel section so just copy Tentacruel/Toxapex.

(pretend Overqwil is here. Thanks to doipy hooves for reminding me)
Tera: Bug, Grass, Flying, Water
Explanation: Overqwil is a Pokemon that isn't too special outside of its typing being rare and having a signature move. Its only weakness is Ground, and "Technically" has Bug STAB to use with Tera Bug, but it's primarily using Bug for Ground types, which it also uses Grass and Flying for. Water is also an option with Aqua Tail and being a Swift Swimmer too. It's not really worth running Poison for Super STAB Barb Barrage, especially since you now become Psychic weak, and only Dark move it even has is Dark Pulse. I imagine that will change in SV since Overqwil is a Pokemon that would struggle with only having Dark Tera Blast.

:ss/Weavile:
Tera: Poison, Dark, Ice, Fighting
Explanation: Before I thought Weavile would be a bad Terastallizer because it would lose its STABs, but knowing that you keep your STABs, it’s a much better option than what we thought. With that, Poison is probably the best option for Weavile. Giving itself STAB on Poison Jab and letting it resist Mach Punch and be neutral to most priority. Even with a Physic priority, if introduced, Weavile can just stay as Dark when it needs too and become Poison when also needs to. Fighting is also an option for Low Kick STAB, Rock resistances, and neutrallity to many priority moves. Dark is the preferred Super STAB because Knock Off is more spammable and Ice really sucks.

(pretend Sneasler is here)
Tera: Dark, Poison, Fighting
Explanation: Sneasler is acient Weavile and apparently there were a bunch of Psychic and Flying types in the past to have it evolve into a Ice/Dark type. Its stats are similar to Weavile’s but for less Speed, Sneasler could potentially do a lot more damage. For 5 less in Def, SpA, SpD, and Speed, Sneasler has 10 more in HP and Atk. With it’s movepool currently, Sneasler gets Close Combat to match Weavile’s Triple Axel, and Dire Claw could potentially be way more busted than Knock Off. Thing has a 50% chance in PLA to get the Target Poisoned, Paralyzed, or put to Sleep. I expect Dire Claw to have its chances to status lowered significantly and possibly drop Sleep, but dude that is powerful (and it gets Poison Jab too).
Unfortunately it lacks any Physical Dark moves, but it’s PLA. However this is SV and no doubt its movepool will expand. I only put Dark in just in case it gets like Knock Off or something, but Tera Blast would be fine. It does love Dark typing because of Psychic and also because Poison/Dark/Fighting is an amazing STAB combo.
Also imagine if Sneasler gets Gunk Shot. That is some nightmare fuel.

:ss/Ursaring:
Tera: Ghost, Fairy, Fighting, Ground, Poison, Normal, Grass.
Explanation: Ursaring got an evolution, but in lower tiers it can be a massive threat. It has a wide selection of STAB options from Shadow Claw, Play Rough, Close Combat, Earthquake, Gunk Shot, Facade, and Seed Bomb. Shadow Claw is pretty weak, but Ghost provides Ursaring with Fighting immunity. Similarly, Fairy provides a Fighting Resistance. Ground and Fighting let it take less damage from Stealth Rock, Poison prevents Toxic from ruining Ursaring, and Grass prevents Powder Moves. Normal is just for power purposes. You get a 420 BP Facade (Status+Guts+Tera STAB) off a 130 Atk. For perspective, Dracovish does 62% - 73% to Avalugg and Ursaring does 58% - 69%.

(Pretend Ursaluna is here)
Tera: Same as Ursaring, maybe without Fighting and Fire instead
Explanation: Imagine what I said before, but on a Pokemon that is even stronger, bulkier, better typing, and gets Ground Close Combat (and likely will get regular Close Combat).

:ss/Delibird:
Tera: Steel, Water
Explanation: No.

:ss/houndoom:
Tera: Grass, Poison, Fire, Fighting
Explanation: Houndoom is a Pokemon who can get stonewalled easily by Water, Rock, and Fairy types. It lacks coverage for Water and Rock outside of Solar Beam. Thankfully for it, Houndoom learns Sludge Bomb at least. Grass Tera Blast would be its best option, as Houndoom is also Fire Immune too.

:ss/Donphan:
Tera: Steel, Fairy, Water
Explanation: Donphan doesn’t have much going for it since it’s mostly a just a Spinner with Ground typing and some neat party tricks. Fairy does get Play Rough, and Steel/Water resist 2 types Ground is weak to. Also I’m pretty sure it has like 2 Paradox forms or something.

(Pretend there is a Wyrdeer here)
Tera: Ground
Explanation: Sap Sipper

:ss/Tyranitar:
Tera: Rock, Ground, Steel
Explanations: Tyranitar is another Pokemon I went over saying it would suck as a Terastallizer, and it still does tbh. It can’t be anything other than Rock, Ground, or Steel because of Sand Stream, and it doesn’t really want to be Steel or Ground, despite their benefits, because Rock gains 1.5x SpD in Sand. Rock/Dark is also a pretty unique typing letting it beat Pokemon like Blacephalon, Latios, Tapu Lele, ect. If Tyranitar lacked Sand Stream, Ghost, Fairy, or Dragon would actually work fine.

:ss/Pelipper:
Tera: Grass, Water, Flying, Ground
Explanation: Pelipper is yet another Pokemon talked about, and it’s a good option for Rain teams to Terastallize, namely if there is an opposing Electric type causing issues. Grass and Ground provide Pelipper a means to defend itself from Electric type, though Ground means you’re weak to Grass and Water itself. Water and Flying can be used on Specs sets as Rain Boosted Hydro Pumps with an Adaptability Boost or 100% Accurate Hurricanes with same Boost can be powerful.

:ss/Gardevoir:
Tera: Steel, use most types
Explanation: Gardevior has a pretty diverse movepool and can do several things, so it’s mostly up to you how you use it, which is a bit of a cop out. Steel is basically the default Tera type.

:ss/Gallade:
Tera: Grass, Ground, Steel
Explanation: Gallade is basically physical Gardevoir, but way stronger with Close Combat. Grass is used with Leaf Blade and Ground is used for Earthquake, while Steel is just for Fairy/Flying types

:ss/Masquerain:
Tera: Ground, Steel, Water
Explanation: Shitmon covering its weaknesses but with Hydro Pump.

:ss/Breloom:
Tera: Steel, Rock, Grass
Explanation: Breloom has some unique attributes. Namely it is one of the few Pokemon with Poison Heal, has Technician and uses it well, but biggest of all is Spore. Even though it has 60/80/60 bulk and pretty bad typing, it can be a huge threat defensively with Spore, Poison Heal, Sub, and Leech Seed. This isn’t too bad normally because Grass/Fighting isn’t great Defensively, but Steel compliments it so well. Since you Terastallize mid-turn, you can Poison yourself before becoming a Steel type. With Poison Heal, Spore, and Leech Seed, Breloom can become one of the most annoying Pokemon to face.
Offensively, Rock actually provides Breloom a compliment to Grass/Fight as it resists 3 types Breloom is weak to. It can also go pure Grass for Adaptability Boost, Technician, and Loaded Dice for insanely powerful Bullet Seeds.

:ss/Slaking:
Tera: Ghost, Fighting, Normal, Ground
Explanation: Slaking doesn’t do much, which is by design. It sadly has a huge untapped movepool it’ll never use because it only ever attacks.

:ss/Hariyama:
Tera: Poison, Normal, Steel
Explanation, like all guts users, Poison/Steel prevents unwanted Toxic, and Normal gives you a stronger Facade.

:ss/sableye:
Explanation: Sableye is just a prankster Pokemon and Steel/Poison beat Fairy while also making it immune to Poison

:ss/Mawile:
Tera: Ground, Water
Explanation: Compliments Mawile’s few weaknesses.

:ss/Medicham:
Tera: Ghost, Dark, Steel, Fighting
Explanation: Medicham is a powerhouse mostly heald by back by its frailty and struggling against Fairy and Psychic. Ghost and Dark beat Psychic types, but which one depends on if you want to lose to Fairy or faster Ghost types. Steel overall helps it against its weaknesses. And Fighting makes its High Jump Kick insanely strong.

:ss/Swalot:
Tera: Generic Pure Poison type Teras
Explanation: Is a Generic Pure Poison type

:ss/Camerupt:
Tera: Grass
Explanation: Grass covers Camerupt’s 2 weaknesses and provides it good coverage with Tera Blast Grass for Water types.

:ss/Torkoal:
Tera: Ground, Grass, Fire
Explanation: Pretty much Pelipper but with Sun and being a Fire type. Even choosing between Grass and Ground is just flipped.

:ss/Grumpig:
Tera: Generic Psychic
Explanation: Generic Psychic

:ss/Cacturne:
Tera: Fire
Explanation: Cacturne is very interesting due to Water Absorb making Fire the best type to give it. Cacturne is weak to Bug, Fairy, Fire, and Ice so Fire resists all those in turn, but is also not weak to Fighting. Being Fire means Cacturne is only weak to Ground and Rock, the former being a bit of a bummer though, but means it can fire off Grass STAB against Ground/Rock types.

:ss/altaria:
Tera: Fairy, Fire, Steel, (maybe Water)
Explanation: Altaria is basically a poorman’s psuedo legendary. It can become Fairy to become immune to Dragon and be like old times. Fire resists Ice and Fairy, while providing Fire STAB, and Steel does the same but with Steel STAB. Altaria gets Tera Blast, but no other Water STAB to have for Water Tera.

:ss/zangoose:
Tera: Normal, Fighting, Fire, Electric
Explanation: Generic Guts…Oh wait, not a Generic Guts user. Zangoose has Toxic Boost, a complete downgrade from Guts as it only accepts Poison and more often needs to be Badly Poisoned. So instead of being Poison to avoid Toxic, you become Fire and Electric to avoid Burns and Paralysis. Other than that, Zangoose is not so different from regular Guts users.

:ss/seviper:
Tera: Generic Pure Poison Type
Explanation: Generic Pure Poison Type

:ss/Whiscash:
Tera: See Quagsire
Explanation: Worse Quagsire

:ss/Tropius:
Tera: See Jumpluff
Explanation: Basically Flying Dino Jumpluff

:ss/Glalie:
Tera: Steel, Water, Ground, Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: Best Glalie can do is set up spikes doesn’t get anything special to use Tera with besides Tera Blast and Earthquake, something you don’t want because you don’t want to Terastallize a frail spike setter.

:ss/Froslass:
Tera: Steel, Water, Fairy
Explanation: Froslass is absolutely a better choice to Terastallize, but ironically has less options.

:ss/Luvdisc:
Tera: Poison
Explanation: Too shit to do anything else besides Poison others, which is extremely ironic.

:ss/Salamence:
Tera: Water, Steel, Fire, Flying
Explanation: I have talked about Salamence using this mechanic in the past, in fact it was the first Pokemon I thought of for this mechanic. It has been a poorman’s Dragonite since Gen 5/6, but still is a great Pokemon on its own. Though it doesn’t use Terastallizing as great as Dragonite, it still has its good merits. I originally just thought about DD+Aqua Tail sets, but many others discussed Special sets with Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, and Hurricane.

:ss/Staraptor:
Tera: Fighting
Explanation: Staraptor has been stuck in UUBL since forever, or at least up until BDSP where it’s actually OU. But anyways, Staraptor is too good for UU and not good enough for much usage in OU (besides BDSP), which is caused by Staraptor being volatile. You do a lot of damage or die. With Terastallizing, Staraptor not only becomes a bigger hitter with STAB Close Combat but also makes it lose its Stealth Rock weakness. Along with Intimidate, Staraptor can switch in far more, and without losing its original STABs.

:ss/Luxray:
Tera: See other Guts users
Explanation: See other Guts users.

:ss/Vespiquen:
Tera: Steel
Explanation: Vespiquen has decent stats and can Defog, but is held back severally due to its typing. It won’t be a super star, but it’ll definitely be better in lower tiers.

:ss/Pachirisu:
Tera: Water, Flying
Explanation: Volt Absorb

:ss/Floatzel:
Tera: Grass, Fighting
Explanation: Basically low tier Barraskewda but not as frail and in an environment without Rain

:ss/Gastrodon:
Explanation: Storm Drain and Grass resist

:ss/Drifblim:
Tera: Ground, Electric, Fairy, Poison, Steel
Explanation: Complimentary typings, STABs, and also Poison immunity for Flare Boost.

:ss/Bronzong:
Tera: Dark, Fire
Explanation: Ghost/Dark resist on a Pokemon that normally is resistant to Fairy, or Levitating Fire type to resist Fire types.

:ss/Spiritomb:
Tera: Steel, Dark
Explanation: Bulkier Sableye with decent offenses too

:ss/Garchomp:
Tera: Ground, Fire, Steel, Water, Fairy
Explanation: Garchomp play a variety of role from Tank to set up Sweeper, and is very similar to Dragonite/Salamence, but with a Ground typing. Extra stronger Earthquakes, Ice Resistances with extra STABs, or Fairy/Ground coverage.

:ss/Lucario:
Tera: Normal, Steel
Explanation: Don’t really know what else to do with Lucario besides make its priority spamming stronger.

:ss/Hippowdon:
Tera: Steel, Ground, Rock
Explanation: See Tyranitar

:ss/Lumineon:
Tera: Fire, Ground, Grass
Explanation: Storm Drain and resisting its weaknesses.

:ss/Abomasnow:
Tera: Ice
Explanation: See Tyranitar, but much worse since all Abomasnow can do is become Ice.

:ss/Rotom: :ss/Rotom-fan::ss/rotom-frost: :ss/rotom-mow: :ss/rotom-heat: :ss/rotom-wash:
Tera: Electric, Fire, Steel, Grass*, Fairy*, Rock*
Explanation: Although their different typings means they have different niches and counter different things, a lot of Tera types overlap thanks to Levitate and Steel resisting so much stuff.

:ss/Toxicroak:
Tera: Dark, Fighting, Poison, Fire
Explanation: See Sneasler, but with also potential Dry Skin use.

:ss/Lilligant:
Tera: Rock, Electric, Fire, Ground, Ice
Explanation: Despite constant praise for Grass typing seen with so many Pokemon using it, and Grass having its good qualities, mono grass offensively isn’t ideal. Sure it’s the only type to beat Water and Ground at the same time (besides Freeze Dry), but a lot of things resist Grass too, and Lilligant has terrible coverage options so it needs Tera Blast desperately.

(pretend Lilligant Hisui is here)
Tera: See Breloom but replace Steel with Fire
Explanation: Breloom but with a broken af Victory Dance.

(pretend there is a Basculegion here)
Tera: Psychic*, Ice*, Rest depends on Movepool and how Adaptability works with Tera
Explanation: Basculegion being an Adaptability user has a lot of potential for being strong, depending on how Terastallizing works. Due to its crappy movepool, it does have limited options. Only really making use of Zen Headbutt and Ice Beam/Fang. We’ll have to see.

:ss/Krookodile:
Tera: Fire, Water, Grass, Poison, Fighting, Flying
Explanation: Krookodile is an extremely unique Pokemon with its unique typing, its set of abilities, and somewhat rounded stats. Its unique typing means many dual complimentary types. Fire resists Ground’s Ice and Grass weaknesses and Dark’s Fairy weakness. Poison similarly resists Grass, but also Bug and Fairy. Flying lets helps its Dark typing against Bug and Fighting, helps its Ground weakness in Grass, and also provides that Ground/Flying STAB coverage. Water/Grass only helps the its Ground typing, but Water has Aqua Tail to use. Fighting with Dark has also proven to be great.

:ss/Crustle:
Tera: Ground, Rock, Bug, Steel, Fighting
Explanation: Crustle is mostly known as a Shell Smash sets and 1v1 sets. It does potentially have other options, but Shell Smash is hard to pass up. Bug/Rock is only resisted by Fighting/Steel, and Ground or Fighting help in that department while also resisting Rock. Steel has Heavy Slam to use and resists 2 of its weakness, but makes it walled easily by opposing Steels. Rock and Bug just there for Super STAB.

:ss/Zoroark: (pretend Hisuian Zoroark is here)
Tera: Dark/Ghost, Fighting, Poison*
Explanation: The goated play for Illusion is to have a partner like that is weak to Psychic or Fighting and would use Dark/Ghost, and act like you are Terastallizing to avoid an attack and keep your Illusion up without your opponent suspecting a thing. Technically you can do this with any type that has an immunity, but it is better when Super STAB. The more practical thing probably is to use Fighting or Poison but with similar tactics.

:ss/Sawsbuck:
Tera: Fire, Water, Ground, Rock
Explanation: See Leafeon for Sun teams. That isn’t all. Sawsbuck is also equiped with Sap Sipper when you don’t want to or can’t use a Sun team.

Tera: Dark, Water, Steel, Fire
Explanation: Amoonguss having its weaknesses covered with Dark, Water, Steel, and Fire, the latter of which helps it beat Steel types.

:ss/Alomomola:
Tera: Grass, Steel, Poison
Explanation: Grass covers for Grass and Electric, and Steel/Poison cover Grass while also covering Toxic as well.

:ss/Eelektross:
Tera: Fire, Steel, Rock, Electric
Explanation: Levitate.

:ss/Haxorus:
Tera: Steel, Ground, Fighting, Poison.
Explanation: Steel is definitely Haxorus’s best option since it lets Haxorus resist Fairy and Ice while hitting them with STAB Iron Head, although it has the option of Fighting, Ground, or Poison.

:ss/Beartic:
Tera: Water, Electric, Fighting, Ice
Explanation: Beartic is in a really great position for Terastallizing, depending on if GameFreak decides to buff Slush Rush so it reflects Sand Rush more. If not, Beartic either just deals with Hail Damage when not an Ice type, or faces stiff competition from Barraskewda on Rain. It may be significantly slower than Barraskewda and is still slower than Regieleki under Rain (which will come back like all legendaries), it makes up for it by making itself into Arctozolt. It will do noticably less damage than Bolt Beak initially, but Tera Blast+Sword Dance can out damage it.
252 Atk Arctozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 108-127 (27.4 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 Atk (Electric) Beartic Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- 62.7% chance to 3HKO
Not only that, but its non-electric moves hit way harder and have better coverage.
Arctozolt obviously is better on hail if Slush Rush is unchanged, but Beartic is something to consider.

:ss/cryogonal:
Tera: Steel, Poison, Water
Explanation: All you need to know is Levitate.

:ss/Bisharp:
Tera: Dark, Ghost, Flying, Water, Bug, Grass, Fairy
Explanation: I talked about Bisharp breifly last time, assuming that you’d lose one of your STABs. Realizing that you don’t, some things have changed for my opinion. Since you keep your STABs, and Bisharp doesn’t really need to use other coverage, Bisharp can actually focus on just covering its weaknesses with Ghost, Flying, Water, Fairy, and even Bug (normally Bug is overlooked mainly because its role of Fighting/Ground resist is done better by Flying. You could use on Bisharp here because Bisharp can remain Dark/Steel for Rock types. Also if Rillaboom returns, Cloyster can run Bug).
Other than that, you can run Dark for even stronger Dark moves.

:ss/Braviary:
Tera: Fighting, Rock, Steel
Explanation: Braviary is sadly just worse Staraptor, with its only niche being Sheer Force Rock Slides/Iron Head and being Anti-Defog with Defiant.

(pretend Braviary-Husiuan is here)
Tera: Fire, Psychic, Fighting, Flying, Fairy
Explanation: Braviary-H looks like it will definitely fair better because its competition for offensive Psychic/Flying type is Articuno-G and Sheer Force is generally stronger for Special Attackers. Deapite PLA’s movepool problems, we know Braviary learns Hurricane, Psychic, Mystical Fire, and Esper Wing. Even without Focus Blast, something it’ll likely get, Braviary does need other options than Mystical Fire to beat Steel types that wall it out. Fairy can be a good option, especially if it gets Moonblast, but would mostly be for Dark types.

:ss/Hydreigon:
Tera: Steel, Poison, Fire, Ground
Explanation: Needs none. It speaks for itself.

:ss/Volcarona:
Tera: Ground, Water, Psychic, Grass
Explanation: Volcarona was talked about previously, and I thought Psychic would be the best one, but seeing as Tera Blast is 80 BP it makes for a strong argument to use Ground or Water Tera Blast, both of which benefit Volcarona defensively. Grass is also a decent option against bulky Waters with Giga Drain. Luckily Volcarona keeps its old STABs too.
And you know, Volcarona is getting shill hard recently by GameFreak.

:ss/Talonflame:
Tera: Flying, Steel
Explanation: While Talonflame is the posterchild for Bird Spam in Gen 6, a lot of the best Talonflame sets were actually defensive or bulky related. It was so fast and had priority Roost/Brave Bird that it can easily invest into bulk. While Stealth Rock sucker, outside of that weakness, Flying/Fire is actually a really good type defensively in OU. You can of course Bird Spam more in the lower tiers, but the real play is to bring back defensive Talonflame with Steel.

:ss/Vivillon:
Tera: Ground, Fighting, Flying
Explanation: Beating Steel and Rock types or Super STAB Hurricanes

:ss/Pyroar:
Tera: Pyroar is so mid, Grass
Explanation: No one will find this message. I’m slowly losing my mind having worked more than 3 full days one this.

:ss/Florges:
Explanation: Fairy

:ss/Gogoat:
Tera: Water, Ground
Expla-: SAP SIPPER!

:ss/Pangoro:
Tera: Poison, Steel
Explanation: Poison/Steel compliments Pangoro as a Fairy resist, and either as a Flying Resist or as a Fighting Resist. It also completes the Fighting/Dark STAB combo with Gunk Shot or Iron Head/Bullet Punch.

:ss/Clawitzer:
Tera: Fighting, Dark, Water, Grass*, Electric*, Psychic*, Fairy*
Explanation: All Teras work with Mega Launcher, but last four only work with Terrain Pulse. Grass of course complimenting Water, and Fairy being good defensively at least while beating Dragons. Don’t use Ice it’s too slow.

:ss/Hawlucha:
Tera: Rock, Steel, Electric, Fire
Explanation: Like Bisharp, Hawlucha is fine just using its STABs so it can focus more defensively with Steel and protecting itself from burns with Fire. Rock and Electric have their uses too as STAB against its checks, but Electric also lets Hawlucha take on Paralysis without Limber and can utilize Electric Terrain (for when Koko is back).

:ss/Dedenne:
Tera: See
Explanation: Luvdisc

:ss/Carbink:
Tera: Fighting, Steel, Grass
Explanation: It’s literally just Diancie without any offensive pressence, BESIDES Body Press. It obviously will be in tiers below Diancie, but also Registeel that also 100% outclasses it too, but we’re assuming you are playing that tier and using Carbink.

:ss/Goodra: (pretend Goodra’s Hisuian form is here)
Tera: Poison*, Steel*, Fighting, Ground, Water
Explanation: Besides SAP SIPPER so using Ground and Water, Goodra has the best Special Bulk of all Body Press users, and also has access to Acid Armor. Hisuian Goodra likely will get Body Press and either Acid Armor or Iron Defense. Poison/Steel is only useful on regular Goodra since it’s not immune to Toxic.

:ss/Avalugg: (pretend Avalugg Hisuian is here)
Tera: Water, Steel, Fire, Poison, Fairy, Ghost, Ground, Fighting
Explanation: I discussed Avalugg in the last post and several times. It’s by far the most buffed Pokemon with this mechanic, acting as the physical Blissey is always wanted to be, and there are several types it wants to be. Held back by god awful typing in both forms, unable to utilize its full potential. Regular Avalugg will be known as Physical Blissey, but what about its Hisuian form? Well with Tera retaining your STABs, Hisuian Avalugg will make for a great Choice Band Pokemon, especially with Mountain Gale as Ice STAB. It would likely use just Ground or Fighting in that case, and can just replace regular Avalugg if it learns Recover, making it Defensive Avalugg but with Stealth Rock too.

:ss/Noivern:
Tera: Normal, Flying, Steel, Fire
Explanation:
B
O
O
M

B
U
R
S
T
And Hurricane, and removing Ice/Fairy weaknesses.

:ss/gumshoos:
Tera: Dark, Ground
Explanation: Stakeout is definitely Gumshoos best ability and pretty much all Gumshoos just run Choice Band sets with Normal STAB, U-Turn, Crunch, and Earthquake. Needs a movepool update for better coverage.

:ss/Crabominable:
Tera: Fighting, Water, Ground, Steel, Electric
Explanation: Crabominable has some pretty decent options for Teras. It has coverage moves for all these moves and all of them at least remove its Ice weaknesses.

:ss/Oricorio: :ss/oricorio-pom-pom::ss/oricorio-pa’u: :ss/oricorio-sensu:
Tera: Depends on how Revelation Dance works
Explanation: Oricorio has the unique signature move in Revelation Dance, which depending on how Tera works with Revelation Dance, is just a straight upgrade. Either it works based off of Oricorio’s original primary typing, of it matches its Tera typing. Testing in custome games won’t work well since Tera is definitely different from something like Protean or Conversion. Oricorio might actually prefer the latter since its movepool is pretty bad.

:ss/Lycanroc: :ss/lycanroc-midnight: :ss/lycanroc-dusk:
Tera: Fighting, Rock, Dark, Steel, Fairy, Ground
Explanation: Rock is a weakness ridden type, and Lycanroc forms do have a wide movepool. Namely Dusk form will use it due to Tough Claws, which gives nearly the same boost as Super STAB.

:ss/Mudsdale:
Tera: Steel, Water, Fighting
Explanation: Heavy Slam+Grass/Ice resist, Body Press, Close Combat, and resisting Water/Ice.

:ss/lurantis:
Tera: Fire, Rock, Fighting
Explanation: Similar to Lilligant, but with Contrary instead

:ss/Tsareena:
Tera: Steel, Fairy, Fighting
Explanation: Tsareena’s main goal is to be support Pokemon, but with some punch (or kick). It is also a fine Choice Band user as well.

:ss/Golisopod:
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Ground
Explanation: One of Golisopod’s major drawbacks is its ability forcing it to switch out at half health. This weakness is further compounded by its Stealth Rock weakness, making it very easy for Golisopod to be forced out. This was alleviated somewhat with Heavy Duty Boots, but still preventing it from being a lot better.

:ss/palossand:
Tera: Grass, Water, Dragon
Explanation: Palossand can now act as a proper counter to Physical types like it always wanted by making itself resistant to Water. Each type has their own advantages as a Water Resist. Grass Resists Ground and Electric, but not Ice. Water Resists Ice and Steel, but not Grass. And Dragon resists Grass, Fire, and Electric, but not Ice or Fairy. Dragon is like Bug, where it is decent type but is outclassed by other types usually.

:ss/Pyukumuku:
Tera: Any of the Defensive typings you’d like
Explanation: Since Pyukumuku exclusively only has status moves and only Counter/Mirror Coat, it literally does not benefit what so ever from STAB options. So Terastallizing Pyukumuku only makes sense for defensive benefits. So Terastallize to what your team needs defensively.

:ss/komala:
Tera: Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: See Persian and other generic normal types, but without Poison as Poison’s main purpose is being Toxic immune while covering Fighting types.

:ss/Mimikyu:
Tera: Grass, Fighting, Bug, Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: Ghost/Fairy is a great type defensively, being only weak to Ghost and Steel, and Mimikyu already gets to take a free hit anyways. Additionally, Mimikyu is mostly used as a Sword Dance sweeper, so it doesn’t switch in often. It has access to Drain Punch, Leech Life, and Wood Hammer for extra STABs.

:ss/Bruxish:
Tera: Dark
Explanation: Bruxish being a Psychic type benefits from a type that resists Ghost and Dark, additionally also making Crunch even Stronger.

:ss/Dhelmise:
Tera: Steel, Fighting
Explanation: What a lot people assume is that Dhelmise has triple STABs, which most case it effectively is, but Steelworker is just a straight x1.5 to Steel moves. So Dhelmise becoming Steel means Steel moves will have x2.25 damage. Steel is also great for Dhelmise as it’s a Grass type that is immune to Fighting initially, complimenting Dhelmise defensively. Fighting is also good for Dark type and because Ghost/Fighting provides great coverage.

:ss/Salazzle:
Tera: Grass, Flying, Bug, Dark
Explanation: Like with Bisharp, Poison/Fire is pretty good as is offensively, and can instead let Salazzle focus more on defensing itself.

:ss/Greedent:
Tera: Ghost, Dark, Ground, Fairy
Explanation: See Gumshoos and Persian

:ss/Corviknight:
Tera: Dragon
Explanation: Corviknight is an amazing Pokemon already and doesn’t need much in Terastallizing. It appreciates Dragons resistance to Fire and Electric.

:ss/Drednaw:
Tera: Dark, Bug
Explanation: Dark would be only used on Strong Jaws while Bug would be used on Swift Swim sets with Megahorn to combat Grass types better.

:ss/coalossal:
Tera: Grass, Water, Rock
Explanation: Ok, so Coalossal plays very differently in Singles and Doubles, and its Terastallize types have different reasons for using them. Grass works well with both Flash Fire and Steam Engine. Water resists both Water and Fire attack for Steam Engine gimmicks. Rock is purely Doubles, specifically VGC, to recreate G-Max Coalossal playstyles.

:ss/flapple:
Explanation: Flapple lacks any kind of way to beat Steel types and has a nasty Ice weakness too. With Tera Fire, it easily solves both issues it may have.

:ss/Appletun:
Explanation: Appletun has the same typing, but is more defensive. Fire is actually pretty good defensively, but Water and Steel are better.

:ss/sandaconda:
tera: See Mudsdale
Explanation: See Mudsdale

:ss/barraskewda:
Tera: Water, Fighting, Psychic
Explanation: I talked about the premier Gen 8 Swift Swimmer before with Tera, and under the assumption I thought there might be downsides for Barraskewda, or how you’re gonna need to weigh your options of beating Ferrothorn and other Rain threats, or keep your Water STAB. Well you just get both with far less consideration. This does buff Barraskewda by a lot. Looking at the list, Ferrothorn or Rillaboom looks like it won’t be in the initial game and probably saved for DLC, so you can really use Psychic more often. We’ll have to see.

:ss/Toxtricity:
Tera: Normal, Dark
Explanation: Most people will use Normal initially because of Boom Burst, and while strong and removes Toxtricity’s Ground weakness, it does mean Toxtricity gets walled easily by Ghost types and Tera Ghost types. Dark also removes that weakness and can be used to throw off people Terastallizing a specially bulky Pokemon into a Ghost type or Tera Ghost type.

:ss/polteageist:
Explanation: Polteageist is like the special version of Cloyster but with more mixed bulk and being a Ghost type. It has Shell Smash, and could actually have been a top tier Pokemon. It has decent speed for Shell Smash, a massive SpA, and has anti-unaware options. Problem is that Polteageist’s movepool is lacking coverage and it’s very allergic to Sucker Punch or Dark types in general. Tera Fighting not only gives it STAB Ghost and Fighting moves with Shadow Ball and Tera Blast, but also makes Polteageist resist Sucker Punch too.
Also RIP James Turner. Looks like only Polteageist survived his leaving GameFreak.

:ss/hatterene:
Explanation: Hatterene doesn’t have much going for it outside of STAB Mystical Fire and Steel for Poison/Steel types. It doesn’t have the same diverse movepool as Gardevoir does.

:ss/Grimmsnarl:
Explanation: See Sableye, but now resisting Grimm’s weakness to Poison and Steel.

:ss/Falinks:
Tera: Fire, Poison, Dark, Bug, Ghost
Explanation: Falinks is a very gimmicky omnibooster. Similar to Clanging Scales on Kommo-o, No Retreat omni-boosts your Pokemon but at a sever price. It forces Falinks to stay in for most scenarios. So best thing you can do is avoid Status, and bully Psychic types. Ghost could also be used to let Falinks retreat after No Retreat, but it may not work like that for Tera Ghost.

:ss/Pincurchin:
Tera: Electric, Water, Grass
Explanation: If you’re using Pincurchin of all Pokemon, either go all out with Electric Terrain Rising Voltage Spam
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Pincurchin Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Electric Terrain: 394-464 (55.1 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Or you use similar to Pelipper but in lower tiers where you cover your weaknesses or at least beat most Ground types.

:ss/Frosmoth:
Tera: Water
Explanation: Fire and Rock are Frosmoth’s biggest weaknesses, and not only does Water remove those weaknesses, it provides Frosmoth with good coverage in Water Tera Blast too.

:ss/stonjourner:
Tera: A STAB on one of its move
Explanation: idk tbh since stonjourner is dookie.

:ss/eiscue:
Tera: Water, Electric
Explanation: See Beartic, but with only Water and Electric

:ss/Indeedee: :ss/indeedee-f:
Tera: Psychic, Fairy, Fire, Fighting
Explanation: Besides Psychic Terrain and Expanding Force, the Indeedee forms don’t have a lot going a lot for them. Both are nearly identical, and benefit from these Teras as resisting Dark or at least have a STAB option like Mystical Fire or Expanding Force.

:ss/Copperajah:
Tera: Steel, Grass, Fairy, Rock
Explanation: Copperajah is a very tanky low tier Pokemon that can hit hard. Its main power doesn’t come from Sheer Force, but rather Heavy Metal Heavy Slam actually. Heavy Slam can be even stronger, as Steel is already a good type, but Grass and Fairy cover Copperajah well against Ground and Fighting. Rock can actually be used on Sheer Force sets since it learns Rock Slide too.

:ss/Dragapult:
Tera: Dragon, Ghost, Fairy, Fire, Electric, Water, Steel, Fighting
Explanation: I talked previously about Dragpult on the last list, and boy is Dragapult looking absolutely insane. Even more so now that we know that Tera Blast has great power. National Dex banned Dragapult because of it having (usable) physical Ghost. It’s absolutely going to be broken now that it gets Tera Blast for Physical Ghost moves, even if it’s not as powerful as Z Phantom Force. Not only just physical Ghost moves, but also stronger Dragon Darts, stronger Draco Meteors, can become Fairy to stay in against Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch/Dragon types, has potential for both physical and special fighting moves, stronger coverage for Fire, Water, and Electric moves, and can use a Steel move better than Steel Wing on both sides. Oh and Zeraora isn’t in the game to speed creep it.
This thing will no doubt be banned early on and will make playing OU a nightmare. It makes Gen 4 Garchomp look tame.

:ss/Charizard:
Tera: Fire, Fighting, Grass
Explanation: I-is t-t-t-that Cha-chari-Charizard from KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:ss/Articuno:
Tera: Water, Steel
Explanation: Defensive Ice type. Enough said.

:ss/articuno-galar:
Explanation: Articuno-G is like Braviary-H, but definetly worse. Not having Sheer Force and less exciting signature move. It does have good stats and Competitive makes it a nice Anti-Defogger, but gets stonewalled hard by Steel. Fighting can let it at least touch Steel types most of the time and also lets it resist Dark moves too.

:ss/Zapdos:
Explanation: Zapdos synergizes extremely well with Steel typing, Not only does it make Zapdos immune to Poison, but more importantly it makes Zapdos resist it 2 weaknesses. It does however makes Zapdos weak to Fighting/Ground, so Terastallize Zapdos carefully. Additionally, Zapdos works extremely well on Rain teams with its movepool buff in Gen 8. Anything that can otherwise wall out Rain team is beat by Zapdos.

:ss/Zapdos-Galar:
Tera: Ghost, Poison, Dark, Electric
Explanation: Zapdos-G is a fantastic Pokemon and a cornerstone of anti-defog already, despite its Flying Weakness. But what if it didn’t have that weakness? Well it now can easily switch into Defoggers without worry of their Flying STABs, and additionally provides great STAB coverage. Ghost and Dark work well with Fighting, namely Ghost, and Gapdos already has Flying STAB to beat most Fairies. Poison is also a good one for Fairies as well. And Electric resists Flying, synergizes well with Gapdos’s Flying, and also gives it Super Effective coverage against Toxapex and Tornadus-T.

:ss/moltres:
Tera: Grass, Ground
Explanation: Moltres benefits heavily becoming Grass to protect it from all its weaknesses while also providing Grass coverage. Ground is also useful for Moltres being a proper Rock resistance doesn’t require Tera Blast for STAB.

:ss/moltres-galar:
Tera: Dark, Flying, Steel, Poison
Explanation: Moltres-G, like Bisharp, has pretty good STAB combo already for its bulky stat spread. It can afford to focus more on defenses like Bisharp, but also can Super STAB Dark and Flying moves if it wants.

:ss/Mew:
Tera: Literally just treat Mew like it’s Arceus
Explanation: With Mew’s wide pool of moves, Mew is essentially 600 BST Arceus. Not only is it mini Arceus, but it also has a more pratical ability. Of course some are better than others, like with Arceus, but its still incredible what Mew can do in all sectors.

:ss/typhlosion:(Pretend Typhlosion-Hisui is here)
Explanation: Typhlosion and its Hisuian form are really nothing special, and Hisuian Typhlosion may be mostly a downgrade from regular Typhlosion because it’s slower for barely more SpA on something without Eruption or Focus either currently, but may change in SV. Grass is a good choice to beat Waters/Rocks/Grounds while taking advantage of Flash Fire, and Fighting gives STAB to Focus Blast for regular Typhlosion, and gives Hisuian Typhlosion actual Fighting coverage and a Dark resistance.

:ss/Dialga: (pretend Origin Dialga is here too)
Tera: Flying, Bug, Fire, Electric, Rock, Steel, Fairy, Ghost, Dragon
Explanation: Dialga and its Origin form have great potential for Terastallization as it’s both an offensive and defensive powerhouse with an expansive movepool and set variety. Since Dialga is only weak to Fighting and Ground, has a bunch of options to deal with either or even both. It can also give its coverage moves more kick when it needs a KO and can make either of its STABs nuclear.

:ss/Palkia: (pretend Palkia-Origin is here)
Tera: Water, Dragon, Electric, Steel, Fire, Fairy
Explanation: Palkia having less weaknesses, only being weak to Fairy, Dragon, and Freeze-Dry, as well as being more offensive, Palkia will have use Tera types than Dialgia, but of course will still be powerful with it.

:ss/giratina: :ss/giratina-origin:
Tera: Fairy, Steel, Poison, Fighting, Ghost
Explanation: Giratina is a great defensive user of Terastallizing. Fairy of course resists Dark and makes Giratina immune to Dragon. Steel resists Ice and Fairy while making Giratina immune to Toxic, and Poison does the same for being immune to Toxic+Fairy resisting, but also only weak to Psychic on Origin form and resists Fighting. Giratina-O can also use Fighting or Ghost on more offensive sets too, giving it perfect coverage or incredibly strong Ghost STAB.

:ss/Victini:
Tera: Electric, Grass, Fire, Fighting, Ground
Explanation: Victini was another Pokemon I talked about before and didn’t realize you keep your STABs. So it makes using non-STAB Teras and Defensive Teras a lot more viable when you don’t sacrifice your STABs. I also didn’t know Tera Blast would be 80 BP so Victini also has Physical Grass moves that is somewhat viable.

:ss/Samurott: (pretend Hisiuan form is here)
Tera: Grass, Fairy, Poison, Fighting, Bug
Explanation: Samurott is extremely generic outside of Megahorn, but its Hisuian form is a lot more interesting thanks to it’s signature move is Dark version of Axe Cutter, setting up Stealth Rock.

:ss/Tornadus: :ss/tornadus-therian:
Tera: Ground, Steel, Fighting, Flying, Dark
Explanation: So Ground and Steel are pretty obvious choices for Defensive Tornadus, but it can also be more offensive with Focus Blast STAB, Knock Off STAB, snd Super STAB Hurricanes. Additionally Tera Blast Ground can work on Tornadus as well.

:ss/thundurus: :ss/thundurus-therian:
Tera: Ice, Fighting, Dark, Flying, Water*, Electric
Explanation: Thundurus and its therian form don’t do much defensively, so all its Teras should be somewhat useful offensively. Electric/Ice is great STAB combo. It has Fighting and Dark coverage on both sides. Flying/Water are immune to Electric thank to volt absorb, but also provide great Tera Blast options too, and Electric can make its Electric attacks nuclear.

:ss/Landorus:
Tera: Psychic, Dark, Grass, Poison, Ground, Flying
Explanation: Landorus and its Therian form are 2 different beasts when it comes to sets, so Landorus here has different types. Namely using Sheer Force types like Psychic, Poison, and Ground, but also can use Dark for Knock Off and Grass for Grass Knot if it wants too. Also Tera Blast Flying works for Ground/Flying STAB if it doesn’t get Air Slash or Hurricane.

:ss/Landorus-therian:
Tera: Water, Ground, Steel, Flying, Rock
Explanation: Ground/Flying is an amazing typing letting Landorus-T give its team a Fighting, Ground, and Electric check all on a Pokemon with Stealth Rock and U-turn. One of the best Tera types for Landorus-T is Water Tera type because it eliminates the 2 weaknesses Landorus has and is extremely good on its own. This is what I mentioned before, and not much has changed about what I said before besides the buff to original STABs. So it still fires off really strong Earthquakes as a Water type. Steel works pretty well for Landorus-T’s Defensive sets too. Additionally, Landorus-T is not a linear Pokemon. It can be offensive as well, with Ground for even stronger Earthquakes, Flying for Flying STAB that compliments Landorus-T, and Rock for STAB on Stone Edge.

:ss/Meloetta:
Explanation: Really fixes Meloetta’s weaknesses defensively and provides Focus Blast STAB.

:ss/chesnaught:
Tera: See Breloom
Explanation: See Breloom

:ss/Delphox:
Tera: See Victini, but without Electric
Explanation: See Victini but special only

:ss/Greninja:
Tera: Steel, maybe what it would use for Hidden Power before
Explanation: With Greninja having Protean, there isn’t anything you can do with Terastallizing on it. It will just change its type and be a complete waste, until you switch out and in. Only other thing it can technically do is provide Greninja with Tera Blast types kind of like Hidden Power. So it’s not really great as a Terastallizer. However…

:ss/Greninja-Ash:
Tera: Water, Dark, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Electric
Explanation: Ash-Greninja is completely different in that it’s one of the premier offensive users of Terastallizing, giving it nearly Protean levels of power running 2 Water moves, Dark Pulse, and your choice of what ever type you want, or you can make its Water/Dark options even stronger with its signature Spikes set from Gen 7. It really is on another level and will be just like Dragapult, but trading in speed for much more power. Quick Banned for sure, unless there is some new Pokemon in OU that can dominate it.

:ss/Diancie:
Tera: See Carbink, but with the addition of Ground, and Fire
Explanation: Diancie is pretty much a straight upgrade from Carbink outside of Sturdy (on a bulky Pokemon). It can do everything Carbink does, but better, and has more offensive options to use.

:ss/Decidueye: (pretend Hisuian form is here)
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Flying, Rock*
Explanation:

:ss/Magearna:
Tera: Electric, Water, Grass, Flying, Fairy
Explanation: Magearna already has one of the best typings in the game, some its benefits from Terastallizing are STAB, Super STAB for Fluer Cannon, and covering its weaknesses.

(Pretend Enamorus and her Therian form is here)
Tera: Ground, Steel, maybe more when SV gives it more moves
Explanation: And finally, Enamorus is the new Genie and has Togekiss’s typing. Ground and Steel help Enamorus out with its Weaknesses and the former provides STAB for Earthpower. Ground covers Poison, Electric, and Rock, while Steel covers Ice, Rock, Poison, and Steel.
Reposting a list I made for most of the returning Pokemon and what Tera types they’ll lilely be using. It was made Oct 25th so no every Pokemon is there (and it took me 4 whole says to make)
I’m just posting this for feed back and being a helpful guide for discussion. I also want to make a list like this but for the new Fully Evolved Pokemon. I’ll do that at a later time.
Some things I did mention where things like Beartic being in Hail, which now that Hail is Snow changes Beartic a bit, or something like Ash Greninja which is sort of in the game.

btw sorry for double posting in the future. Hit the character limit.

Actually had to make this into multiple post die to character limit. I apologize for double posting. Anyways.

I also would like to say people are overrating to Terastallization. After spending a long time looking at Tera, the only problematic element I can see is giving Pokemon strong coverage that they shouldn’t have access to in Tera Blast and a few edge cases like Dragapult or Battle Bond Greninja. I also feel like people overselling offensive Terastallizing and undermining its defensive use. Like if you make Volcarona a Grass type, how many Pokemon suddenly stop defensively checking it? None since Volcarona has Giga Drain already and giving it a STAB bonus is just a little extra (I would have said Psychic but Volc lost Psychic). If you make Volcarona a Ground type, then there would be issues since it gets Tera Blast Ground for Heatran and other Fire types.
So offensively only Tera Blast seems problematic. Then the issue arrives where you kind of don’t want to run Tera Blast outside of a few fringe cases and in lower tiers since you need a designated Tera user, which is far less flexible.

Also, I see people comparing this to Dynamax, which is like comparing Ember to Fire Blast. Dynamax is far more broken in multiple different ways. Like when you Terastallize, sure most moves technically hit harder, but it’d be a different of a few BP, and STTB (Same Type Tera Bonus) would be even less. Going back to Volcarona with a Gen 8 set as an example. Terastallizing Volcarona offensively has you make 3 choices, Fire/Bug/Psychic. Psychic Tera would give you STAB Psychic making your effective moves 135 BP, while Tera Bug or Fire would give you Super STAB Bug or Super STAB Fire, resulting in 180 BP Fire move with 135 BP move, and 90 BP Psychic move.
Dynamax on the other hand boosted all your moves at once. Factoring in STABs, you had 195 Flamethrower, 195 Bug Buzz, and 130 Psychic. So in Base Power alone, Dynamax makes Volcarona way more threatening than Tera does without factoring in Tera Blast. Then you realize that it’s not just Flamethrower, Bug Buzz, or Psychic, it’s their Max Move versions that bypass protect, accuracy, set up a while bunch of shit, and debuff stuff. Said Max moves also pair well with moves like Fly, Phantom Force, and Hyper Beam because it just ignore those move’s drawbacks, which Tera does not.
Then you realize the most busted part of Dynamax was that it also doubles your HP which has no counterplay. At least Defensive Tera has counterplay since its just a type change. You can’t counter play double HP, not even with Whirl Wind or Destiny Bond.
If you’re gonna compare Tera to Dynamax, you should check yourself before you do.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
overselling offensive Terastallizing and undermining its defensive use.
Honestly, i think this will be the part that makes it over the edge
remember that OU tournament with 10000 dracovishes, and the winner had a WHIRLPOOL one to bait the dracovish from the other team?
people are gonna start by shinning colors and fun gimmicks like Terra fly gengar or terra ground volc or terra ice dragons or whatever
then, people are gonna figure out how to match up fish shit by tera baiting and using dumb shit like double terra poison 52 atk gunk shot pex to insta delete clef (thats totally something i just came up with and not some shameless plug in) or maybe even do the dinamax thing were you wait untill your opponent puts on the magic hat to counter his hat with a better one like fucking Team Fortress 2
im maybe just exagerating (mainly because im to lazy to theory build manually) but one thing is clear, the first month is gonna be unholy confusing, and Choice Scarf Ditto will be OU

Choice Band Basculegion looks like it's going to be the premier Trick Room sweeper. It rewards you for getting it in for free with sacrificial moves thanks to Adaptability Last Respects. Wave Crash gets boosted to 240 base power and it has an 80 Base power Aqua Jet as an emergency stop to pokes like Flutter Mane.

But Trick Room lost Teleport, which effectively kills off Guts sweepers and makes it a lot harder to get your sweepers in safely. Pory2 couldn't make it this gen so good luck switching into these insanely powerful Ghosts, and to a lesser extent, Dark. A-Marowak and Melmetal are gone and I also can't imagine Magearna not being banned again.

:ss/Raichu: :ss/Raichu-alola:
Tera: Grass, Electric, Water, Fighting, Psychic*, Flying*, Ice
Explanation: Ok, so this will pretty much apply for almost every Electric type, but almost all the Mono Electrics are gonna be either Grass or Ice, for Grass Knot and Tera Blast Ice, and ones that have Electric immunity through their abilities will also likely become Flying or Water depending on the coverage. In the case of Raichus, they will also have the option for STAB Focus Blast as well, which benefits Alolan Raichu more due to Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak. They can also Super STAB themselves, which of course benefits Alolan better too.

:ss/Nidoking: :ss/Nidoqueen:
Tera: Ground, Poison, Fire, Electric, Fighting, Ice
Explanation: So Nidos are pretty much the same. There isn't much defensive merit for these types, as Nidos are best used as wallbreakers. Probably use Original STABs, Fighting, or Electric the most.

:ss/Wigglytuff:
Tera: Who cares?
Explanation: Unless Wigglytuff is massively buffed, it'd be a waste of time speculating what Tera type it'd use. Haven't seen Clefable on the list, so maybe it has Magic Guard and can use Fire. It is still Wigglytuff so you're just handicapping yourself by using it as a Tera Pokemon.

:ss/Venomoth:
Tera: Bug, Psychic
Explanation: Now that we know Terastallizing preserves your STABs, this makes Venomoth a lot more dangerous, in lower tiers, as now it can have STAB on Psychic without losing Bug STAB or Poison STAB. That it important since Tinted Lens means that only Steel types that quad resist Bug and Ghost/Poison actually resist Venomoth's STABs. With Psychic, Bug, and Tinted Lens it's kind of perfect coverage. The only resitance Psychic and Bug share is Steel and the 2 things that resist Psychic naturally are Bug weak. You can technically use Tera Blast+Type that shares only 1 resistance with Bug, but Tera Blast still has the issue of being useless if you Tera something else.

:ss/Dugtrio: :ss/Dugtrio-alola:
Tera: Ground, Rock, Dark, Fighting, Flying
Explanation: Regular Dugtrio is a very specific Pokemon because its main niche is to trap Pokemon. Most of the time I wouldn't recommend it since you're using your 1 time mechanic on something that's 1 and done on your team. You can use it if you really need to, but that is going to be very rare. Alolan Dugtrio in lower tiers is more of a standard offensive Pokemon and would use pretty similar typings for STAB. Main difference is that Flying can be used somewhat defensively compared to regular Dugtrio, which only uses it to trap Grass and Bug types.

:ss/persian: :ss/persian-alola:
Tera: Poison, Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: Both are mostly shitmons, and only Alolan Persian has any sort of real niche in lowest of low tiers. The best Tera for omptimizing your team would be Ghost, Fairy, and Poison, as all 3 beat Fighting, Bug, and Poison beats Fairy too on top of having Toxic Immunity.

:ss/Perrserker:
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Grass, Fairy, Flying
Explanation: Even though Perrserker is basically Persian-Galar, it is distinct enough to warrant its own analysis. Most players will probably think "oh wow Steely Spirit+Super STAB" when they think of Perrserker, and that is a fine option, but Perrseker can do more than Steel spam. It has Tough Claws and plenty of Physical moves to give STAB. Fighting for Close Combat, Grass for Seed Bomb and Ground resist, Fairy for Play Rough and Fighting resist, and Flying with Tera Blast while also combatting Ground/Fighting types.

:ss/Golduck:
Tera: Water, Ice, Fighting, Psychic
Explanation: Really just another shitmon that I can't say much other than a few types that it may be able to use. They also aren't particularly good outside of STAB as Golduck doesn't do anything. If it gets Energy Ball, you could put Grass on Golduck too I guess.

:ss/Primeape:
Tera: Ghost, Dark, Poison
Explanation: If it wasn't for its regional form being leaked, I'd say Primape would be great in lower tiers. But guess what? Its regional form supposedly is Fighting/Ghost. So what ever tier its regional form lands it, regular Primeape would just be a downgrade. In tiers lower, it can at least mimic its regional form a but with Tera Blast Ghost (or Ghost moves it gets in SV). Dark is basically Ghost but resisted by Fairy and at least can be used with Anger Point Power Trip and gives it a Physic immunity. Thankfully it also has Gunk Shot so Poison is pretty good option too.

:ss/Arcanine: (pretend Hisui Arcanine is here too)
Tera: Grass, Electric*, Fighting
Explanation: Here is the first Hisuian form and be warned that not much can be said about them as PLA has very crappy movepools, so it's hard to determine what Tera is right for them. If you look on Showdown, their movepools don't match their actual movepools. Anyways, being a Fire type with Flash Fire, Grass is definitely the best option. You remove 2 of Fire's weaknesses, become neutral to 1, and Flash Fire covers your great weakness as a Grass type. If you want Grass STAB, either hope Arcanine gets something in SV or use Tera Blast. Electric is also good since Arcanine can hit Water types without Tera Blast as well as Flying types (only useful on original form). Fighting is also good as it resists Rock, is neutral to Water/Ground, and also provides Fighting STAB.

:ss/Tentacruel: :ss/Toxapex:
Tera: Dark, Grass
Explanation: These 2 are very distinct Pokemon, but they are for the most part going to use Terastallizing the same way because both are defensive support Pokemon and would use both mostly defensively. Dark to make itself immune to Psychic, and Grass to resist Electric and Ground. Use Terastallizing when you need to however.

:ss/Slowbro: :ss/Slowking: :ss/Slowbro-galar: :ss/Slowking-Galar:
Tera: Fairy, Grass, Dark
Explanation: These 4 funnily enough all share their preferable Tera Types, although Fairy being more for Water-bros and Dark more for the Poison-bros. Grass actually really compliments them all and for different types too being Grass, Electric, and Ground.

:ss/Magnezone:
Tera: Fighting, Flying, Fire
Explanation: In the previous post I talked about Magnezone, and with the tweak to the mechanic, Magnezone is slightly better option. Fire Magnezone is stronger since most of us thought Tera Blast would be 60 BP, and it gets to keep it's old STABs. I still prefer Body Press sets with however with Tera Fighting for Tera Flying backing Magnezone up when needed, especially since Steel types can still easily escape Magnet Pull.

:ss/Muk: :ss/Muk-alola:
Tera: Grass, Dark*
Explanation: Similar to Primeape, regular Muk can only mimic what its regional form does by becoming Dark for Psychic types, but not even as effectively since Muk would be weak to Fighting/Bug/Fairy and lose its Toxic Immunity. Granted it's still better than no Terastallizing as it means regular Muk has a chance against Psychic types. Grass is also good for both Pokemon when facing Ground types and the Grass Immunities.

:ss/Cloyster:
Tera: Water, Ice, Rock
Explanation: Cloyster is a pretty unique Pokemon. It's considered the best Shell Smash Pokemon thanks to its massive physical bulk letting it set up easily, and having effectively dual 125 BP moves that break Subs. It was even the catalyst for (finally) banning King's Rock. Despite Skill Link, I think the best Tera is Water. It's neat that Icicle Spear don't lose power, but Water is what helps keep Cloyster together. It's why Cloyster is able to set up so easily as otherwise it'd need to set up as a pure Ice type, and its Water STAB is what prevents Cloyster from being walled out by most Steel types. Ice, and Rock provide STAB/Super STAB for Cloyster's Skill Link moves.

:ss/Gengar:
Tera: Flying, Ghost, Fighting, Poison, Grass, Electric, Fairy
Explanation: Guys, we finally have Gengar back with Ground immunity! Just Terastallize it into a Flying type! Gengar unfortunately has to deal with Dragapult dominating and outclassing it again. It will definitely still have a niche but only with Nasty Plot sets. It doesn't have much going for it sadly unless it drops to UU. All these Tera Types are useful on Gengar for STAB but also sometimes helping its weaknesses like with Ground and Dark. Dark would compliment its type the moves, but that would mean Gengar would be running pretty redundant STABs in Ghost/Dark. But hey, it become mini-Spectrier.

:ss/Hypno:
Tera: Fighting, Fairy
Explanation: Hypno doesn't have much going for it and can only really do a cheesy Belly Drum set or Wish passing in lower tiers. It was one of the few Pokemon with Teleport+Wish. Fighting gives STAB to Drain Punch and also resists Stealth Rock, Dark, and Bug too. Fairy would be generally better defensively for Wish Pass sets.

:ss/Electrode: (pretend Husuian form is here)
Tera: Grass, Ice, Steel
Explanation: Like with every other Electric type, Grass is usually the best because it beats Ground types both offensively and defensively. Ice is also usable, and in the case of Hisuian Electrode, it doesn't really have a use for Grass outside of Super STAB, Ice makes it worse defensively, and Steel doesn't help offensively much. It's a pretty bad Tera user mostly because Grass actually works well with Electric and also because Electrode has an awful movepool.

:ss/Chansey: :ss/Blissey:
Tera: Ghost, Fairy, Poison, Steel, Water, Ground
Explanation: I mentioned in the previous post that Blissey will be one of the top Terastallizers and I still think that may be true, but not as much due to what we know. Being the GOAT Special Wall, its only drawback was its mediocre typing, and additionally its much weaker Physical side. Adding resistances now makes Blissey hard to break past, especially when it comes to Physical Attackers who now can have their attacks completely halved. Same with Chansey as they are essentially the same Pokemon but use different items for the same tier.

:ss/Scizor:
Explanation: Scizor wasn't talked about before in my previous posts, mostly because I thought Bullet Punch with Super STAB was mostly a meme, and it still really is only good for Choice Band and complete offensive sets. Water I believe is better option because what makes Scizor great is its defensive utility with its offenses. It's actually looks even better using Water since it retains its original STABs while covering some of its weaknesses. Flying is also actually useful thanks to Dual Wingbeat giving Scizor STAB on 80 BP Technician Boosted move.

(pretend there is a Kleavor here)
Tera: Rock?, Fighting?
Explanation: Like with all Pokemon originating from PLA, Kleavor isn't so cleaver because of its awful movepool from the game and it's really hard to say what it would even do. It has almost no moves, with the best move that works with Sheer Force being Rock Slide. We also don't know how its signature move in Stone Axe will work in regular setting and how it interacts with Sheer Force.

:ss/Tauros:
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Dark, Rock
Explanation: Tauros is yet another Pokemon who will just be outclassed by its regional forms its getting this gen and can at best just mimic them. Only thing it can do to make itself stand out is Steel or Rock for Iron Head and Rock Slide STAB.

:ss/Gyarados:
Tera: Ground, Grass, Flying
Explanation: Gyarados something that was OU viable but not OU by usage, so it wasn't talked about in the earlier post. However Gyarados looks like it'll be a top tier user. Ground and Grass help Gyarados with its Electric problems while also providing pretty powerful STABs in Earthquake and Power Whip. Flying is also an option to give Gyarados proper Flying STAB, but as always Tera Blast means you can Tera something else.

:ss/Ditto:
Tera: I have no clue
Explanation: Ditto is unique as its main niche is turn around games against sweepers and to actually PP stall. The only EVs that really matter are HP, and Ditto does use other EVs because there is no reason no to. Problem is that we don't know how Tera works with Transform. So it's impossible to actually say.

:ss/Vaporeon:
Tera: Grass, Ground, Fairy, Ghost, Steel, Fire
Explanation: Vaporeon doesn't have much going for it outside of Water Absorb, making it good for Water weak types like Ground and Fire. I just slapped a bunch of defensive typings otherwise. Grass is good on Water types it resists Grass and Electric.

:ss/Jolteon:
Tera: Generic Mono Electric, Flying, Water
Explanation: Generic Mono Electric, but with Volt Absorb

:ss/Flareon:
Tera: Grass, Fighting, Electric, Steel, Normal
Explanation: Flareon has a bit more flare than its og siblings. It can use Tera greatly offensively and defensively, but more often as to be the dedicated Tera user because of its movepool lacking. Grass and Steel of course being great because both types are weak to Fire. Guts can also be used with Fighting and Electric, and now can use Flame Orb. Says a lot that Flareon's biggest buff so far is being able to burn itself. Normal can also be used for Facade on those sets, and Normal looks like it'll actually have something that uses it.

:ss/Espeon:
Tera: Fairy
Explanation: Fairy is definitely the best type for Espeon because Fairy compliments Psychic offensively and defensively, and there Espeon doesn't do much else now that Baton Pass will be banned again.

:ss/Umbreon:
Tera: Poison, Fairy, Ghost, Steel, Water
Explanation: Umbreon is pretty much pure stalling and nothing else. Use the better defensive types, namely the ones that beat Fighting. Poison is the best one because it makes Umbreon immune to Poison, give Toxic guaranteed accuracy, and covers Fighting/Bug/Fairy.

:ss/Leafeon:
Explanation: Leafeon has the ability Chlorophyll. Since Gen 3, Sun didn't have a Fire type Chlorophyll abuser like Rain does with Water type Swift Swim abusers. This is pretty huge for Leafeon as the other Chlorophyll user above it in viability is Venusaur (which really says a lot more about Sun than Leafeon), and Venusaur is apparently not in the game. So Leafeon not becomes basically the default Sun sweeper, unless a new Chlorophyll user is introduced. It can't do much of anything in higher tiers besides become Fire and spam Tera Blast under the Sun. Lower tiers where weather probably will be banned, it can use Steel I guess.

:ss/Glaceon:
Tera: Water, Electric, Steel, Poison, Fairy, Ghost
Explanation: Glaceon is very glad to Terastallize and even more so after finding out it'll keep its Ice STAB. Not only can Glaceon go offensive better with extra STABs and not having such a garbage typing, but it can actually use more supportive sets, although only in a tier without other defensive Eeveelutions.

:ss/Sylveon:
Tera: Ground, Steel, Fire
Explanation: Sylveon already plays between Defensive and Offensive sets. Ground will hit everything that resists Fairy super effectively, unless they are airborne, and also requires Tera Blast (which actually shouldn't be as big of a deal due to Pixilate). Fire can also be used with Mystic Fire, hitting Steels and Poisons that wall it the most. Steel is for defensive Sylveon sets, as we all know Fairy/Steel may be the best type in the series.

:ss/Dragonite:
Tera: Steel, Water, Fire, Ice, Ground, Electric, Fighting
Explanation: Dragonite I did talk about last time, and being a Multiscale user means it's a great Terastallizer. Steel, Water, and Fire (and technically Ice) resist Ice. Ground and Fighting resists Rock. Fire, Steel, Ice, and Electric all make Dragonite immune to certain statuses. And all these types Dragonite has STAB for physically.

:ss/Ampharos:
Tera: Say it with me. Generic Electric Tera Types
Explanation: Generic Pure Electric Type.

:ss/Azumarill:
Tera: Water, Fighting, Dark, Steel
Explanation: Azumarill is a powerhouse with Huge Power, making it a top threat. It is also a top threat for more than just power. It has really solid defensive profile too. Water Tera will make Azumarill's Aqua Jets monstrously powerful. Fighting would give Azumarill STAB on Superpower. Dark gives Azumarill STAB on Knock Off. And Steel gives Azumarill nice resistances because remember it's also still pretty bulky and keeps its STABs.

:ss/sudowoodo:
Tera: Rock, Grass
Explanation: Super strong Head Smash or Dual Recoilless STABs and Ground/Water Resists.

:ss/Jumpluff:
Tera: Steel, Flying, Water
Explanation: Best thing Jumpluff can do is be annoying in lower tiers and making it so it resists more than half all types and compliments it well seems like the best route. Flying can let it make Acrobatics even stronger, and Water covers Fire and Ice weaknesses.

:ss/Sunflora:
Tera: Fire, Ground
Explanation: See Leafeon, but without defensive utility.

:ss/Quagsire:
Explanation: Quagsire is one of the most unique Pokemon competitively, and I say this because it manages to go into every tier, be decent, and do pretty much the same thing. It was also the ONLY true counter to Zacian-C thanks to Unaware, and barely enough bulk. Because of that, its job would be way easier if it resisted a lot of things and was immune to poison as well. Imagine there being a type like that. Completely unaware of such a typing.

:ss/Honchkrow:
Tera: Poison, Fighting, Flying, Dark, Steel
Explanation: Honchkrow is like a mini-Yveltal. Poison and Steel with Tera Blast can beat Fairy, and rest give you STAB.

:ss/Mismagius:
Tera: Fairy, Fighting, Fire, Rock
Explanation: Standard Ghost type Teras, but Fire and Rock letting it use STAB Power Gem and Mystical Fire.

:ss/Girafarig:
Tera: Depends, probably standard Normal/Psychic types, having Electric or Grass too
Explanation: Since Girafarig is getting an evolution, there will be some regular buffs for it and people will use Farigiraf instead.

:ss/forretress:
Tera: Water, Dragon
Explanation: Forretress is 4x weak to Fire, and Water or Dragon works as the best defense against Fire types.

:ss/Dunsparce:
Tera: Fairy, Poison
Explanation: Fairy and Poison beat Fighting, and the latter makes you immune to Toxic. Ghost shouldn’t be used because of Curse. I also believe Dunsparce is getting an Evo this gen too.

:ss/Qwilfish:
Tera: Just copy Tentacruel
Explanation: Forgot Qwilfish was in when making Tentacruel section so just copy Tentacruel/Toxapex.

(pretend Overqwil is here. Thanks to doipy hooves for reminding me)
Tera: Bug, Grass, Flying, Water
Explanation: Overqwil is a Pokemon that isn't too special outside of its typing being rare and having a signature move. Its only weakness is Ground, and "Technically" has Bug STAB to use with Tera Bug, but it's primarily using Bug for Ground types, which it also uses Grass and Flying for. Water is also an option with Aqua Tail and being a Swift Swimmer too. It's not really worth running Poison for Super STAB Barb Barrage, especially since you now become Psychic weak, and only Dark move it even has is Dark Pulse. I imagine that will change in SV since Overqwil is a Pokemon that would struggle with only having Dark Tera Blast.

:ss/Weavile:
Tera: Poison, Dark, Ice, Fighting
Explanation: Before I thought Weavile would be a bad Terastallizer because it would lose its STABs, but knowing that you keep your STABs, it’s a much better option than what we thought. With that, Poison is probably the best option for Weavile. Giving itself STAB on Poison Jab and letting it resist Mach Punch and be neutral to most priority. Even with a Physic priority, if introduced, Weavile can just stay as Dark when it needs too and become Poison when also needs to. Fighting is also an option for Low Kick STAB, Rock resistances, and neutrallity to many priority moves. Dark is the preferred Super STAB because Knock Off is more spammable and Ice really sucks.

(pretend Sneasler is here)
Tera: Dark, Poison, Fighting
Explanation: Sneasler is acient Weavile and apparently there were a bunch of Psychic and Flying types in the past to have it evolve into a Ice/Dark type. Its stats are similar to Weavile’s but for less Speed, Sneasler could potentially do a lot more damage. For 5 less in Def, SpA, SpD, and Speed, Sneasler has 10 more in HP and Atk. With it’s movepool currently, Sneasler gets Close Combat to match Weavile’s Triple Axel, and Dire Claw could potentially be way more busted than Knock Off. Thing has a 50% chance in PLA to get the Target Poisoned, Paralyzed, or put to Sleep. I expect Dire Claw to have its chances to status lowered significantly and possibly drop Sleep, but dude that is powerful (and it gets Poison Jab too).
Unfortunately it lacks any Physical Dark moves, but it’s PLA. However this is SV and no doubt its movepool will expand. I only put Dark in just in case it gets like Knock Off or something, but Tera Blast would be fine. It does love Dark typing because of Psychic and also because Poison/Dark/Fighting is an amazing STAB combo.
Also imagine if Sneasler gets Gunk Shot. That is some nightmare fuel.

:ss/Ursaring:
Tera: Ghost, Fairy, Fighting, Ground, Poison, Normal, Grass.
Explanation: Ursaring got an evolution, but in lower tiers it can be a massive threat. It has a wide selection of STAB options from Shadow Claw, Play Rough, Close Combat, Earthquake, Gunk Shot, Facade, and Seed Bomb. Shadow Claw is pretty weak, but Ghost provides Ursaring with Fighting immunity. Similarly, Fairy provides a Fighting Resistance. Ground and Fighting let it take less damage from Stealth Rock, Poison prevents Toxic from ruining Ursaring, and Grass prevents Powder Moves. Normal is just for power purposes. You get a 420 BP Facade (Status+Guts+Tera STAB) off a 130 Atk. For perspective, Dracovish does 62% - 73% to Avalugg and Ursaring does 58% - 69%.

(Pretend Ursaluna is here)
Tera: Same as Ursaring, maybe without Fighting and Fire instead
Explanation: Imagine what I said before, but on a Pokemon that is even stronger, bulkier, better typing, and gets Ground Close Combat (and likely will get regular Close Combat).

:ss/Delibird:
Explanation: No.

:ss/houndoom:
Tera: Grass, Poison, Fire, Fighting
Explanation: Houndoom is a Pokemon who can get stonewalled easily by Water, Rock, and Fairy types. It lacks coverage for Water and Rock outside of Solar Beam. Thankfully for it, Houndoom learns Sludge Bomb at least. Grass Tera Blast would be its best option, as Houndoom is also Fire Immune too.

:ss/Donphan:
Tera: Steel, Fairy, Water
Explanation: Donphan doesn’t have much going for it since it’s mostly a just a Spinner with Ground typing and some neat party tricks. Fairy does get Play Rough, and Steel/Water resist 2 types Ground is weak to. Also I’m pretty sure it has like 2 Paradox forms or something.

(Pretend there is a Wyrdeer here)
Tera: Ground
Explanation: Sap Sipper

:ss/Tyranitar:
Tera: Rock, Ground, Steel
Explanations: Tyranitar is another Pokemon I went over saying it would suck as a Terastallizer, and it still does tbh. It can’t be anything other than Rock, Ground, or Steel because of Sand Stream, and it doesn’t really want to be Steel or Ground, despite their benefits, because Rock gains 1.5x SpD in Sand. Rock/Dark is also a pretty unique typing letting it beat Pokemon like Blacephalon, Latios, Tapu Lele, ect. If Tyranitar lacked Sand Stream, Ghost, Fairy, or Dragon would actually work fine.

:ss/Pelipper:
Tera: Grass, Water, Flying, Ground
Explanation: Pelipper is yet another Pokemon talked about, and it’s a good option for Rain teams to Terastallize, namely if there is an opposing Electric type causing issues. Grass and Ground provide Pelipper a means to defend itself from Electric type, though Ground means you’re weak to Grass and Water itself. Water and Flying can be used on Specs sets as Rain Boosted Hydro Pumps with an Adaptability Boost or 100% Accurate Hurricanes with same Boost can be powerful.

:ss/Gardevoir:
Tera: Steel, use most types
Explanation: Gardevior has a pretty diverse movepool and can do several things, so it’s mostly up to you how you use it, which is a bit of a cop out. Steel is basically the default Tera type.

:ss/Gallade:
Tera: Grass, Ground, Steel
Explanation: Gallade is basically physical Gardevoir, but way stronger with Close Combat. Grass is used with Leaf Blade and Ground is used for Earthquake, while Steel is just for Fairy/Flying types

:ss/Masquerain:
Tera: Ground, Steel, Water
Explanation: Shitmon covering its weaknesses but with Hydro Pump.

:ss/Breloom:
Tera: Steel, Rock, Grass
Explanation: Breloom has some unique attributes. Namely it is one of the few Pokemon with Poison Heal, has Technician and uses it well, but biggest of all is Spore. Even though it has 60/80/60 bulk and pretty bad typing, it can be a huge threat defensively with Spore, Poison Heal, Sub, and Leech Seed. This isn’t too bad normally because Grass/Fighting isn’t great Defensively, but Steel compliments it so well. Since you Terastallize mid-turn, you can Poison yourself before becoming a Steel type. With Poison Heal, Spore, and Leech Seed, Breloom can become one of the most annoying Pokemon to face.
Offensively, Rock actually provides Breloom a compliment to Grass/Fight as it resists 3 types Breloom is weak to. It can also go pure Grass for Adaptability Boost, Technician, and Loaded Dice for insanely powerful Bullet Seeds.

:ss/Slaking:
Tera: Ghost, Fighting, Normal, Ground
Explanation: Slaking doesn’t do much, which is by design. It sadly has a huge untapped movepool it’ll never use because it only ever attacks.

:ss/Hariyama:
Tera: Poison, Normal, Steel
Explanation, like all guts users, Poison/Steel prevents unwanted Toxic, and Normal gives you a stronger Facade.

:ss/sableye:
Explanation: Sableye is just a prankster Pokemon and Steel/Poison beat Fairy while also making it immune to Poison

:ss/Mawile:
Tera: Ground, Water
Explanation: Compliments Mawile’s few weaknesses.

:ss/Medicham:
Tera: Ghost, Dark, Steel, Fighting
Explanation: Medicham is a powerhouse mostly heald by back by its frailty and struggling against Fairy and Psychic. Ghost and Dark beat Psychic types, but which one depends on if you want to lose to Fairy or faster Ghost types. Steel overall helps it against its weaknesses. And Fighting makes its High Jump Kick insanely strong.

:ss/Swalot:
Tera: Generic Pure Poison type Teras
Explanation: Is a Generic Pure Poison type

:ss/Camerupt:
Tera: Grass
Explanation: Grass covers Camerupt’s 2 weaknesses and provides it good coverage with Tera Blast Grass for Water types.

:ss/Torkoal:
Tera: Ground, Grass, Fire
Explanation: Pretty much Pelipper but with Sun and being a Fire type. Even choosing between Grass and Ground is just flipped.

:ss/Grumpig:
Tera: Generic Psychic
Explanation: Generic Psychic

:ss/Cacturne:
Explanation: Cacturne is very interesting due to Water Absorb making Fire the best type to give it. Cacturne is weak to Bug, Fairy, Fire, and Ice so Fire resists all those in turn, but is also not weak to Fighting. Being Fire means Cacturne is only weak to Ground and Rock, the former being a bit of a bummer though, but means it can fire off Grass STAB against Ground/Rock types.

:ss/altaria:
Tera: Fairy, Fire, Steel, (maybe Water)
Explanation: Altaria is basically a poorman’s psuedo legendary. It can become Fairy to become immune to Dragon and be like old times. Fire resists Ice and Fairy, while providing Fire STAB, and Steel does the same but with Steel STAB. Altaria gets Tera Blast, but no other Water STAB to have for Water Tera.

:ss/zangoose:
Tera: Normal, Fighting, Fire, Electric
Explanation: Generic Guts…Oh wait, not a Generic Guts user. Zangoose has Toxic Boost, a complete downgrade from Guts as it only accepts Poison and more often needs to be Badly Poisoned. So instead of being Poison to avoid Toxic, you become Fire and Electric to avoid Burns and Paralysis. Other than that, Zangoose is not so different from regular Guts users.

:ss/seviper:
Tera: Generic Pure Poison Type
Explanation: Generic Pure Poison Type

:ss/Whiscash:
Tera: See Quagsire
Explanation: Worse Quagsire

:ss/Tropius:
Tera: See Jumpluff
Explanation: Basically Flying Dino Jumpluff

:ss/Glalie:
Tera: Steel, Water, Ground, Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: Best Glalie can do is set up spikes doesn’t get anything special to use Tera with besides Tera Blast and Earthquake, something you don’t want because you don’t want to Terastallize a frail spike setter.

:ss/Froslass:
Tera: Steel, Water, Fairy
Explanation: Froslass is absolutely a better choice to Terastallize, but ironically has less options.

:ss/Luvdisc:
Tera: Poison
Explanation: Too shit to do anything else besides Poison others, which is extremely ironic.

:ss/Salamence:
Tera: Water, Steel, Fire, Flying
Explanation: I have talked about Salamence using this mechanic in the past, in fact it was the first Pokemon I thought of for this mechanic. It has been a poorman’s Dragonite since Gen 5/6, but still is a great Pokemon on its own. Though it doesn’t use Terastallizing as great as Dragonite, it still has its good merits. I originally just thought about DD+Aqua Tail sets, but many others discussed Special sets with Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, and Hurricane.

:ss/Staraptor:
Explanation: Staraptor has been stuck in UUBL since forever, or at least up until BDSP where it’s actually OU. But anyways, Staraptor is too good for UU and not good enough for much usage in OU (besides BDSP), which is caused by Staraptor being volatile. You do a lot of damage or die. With Terastallizing, Staraptor not only becomes a bigger hitter with STAB Close Combat but also makes it lose its Stealth Rock weakness. Along with Intimidate, Staraptor can switch in far more, and without losing its original STABs.

:ss/Luxray:
Tera: See other Guts users
Explanation: See other Guts users.

:ss/Vespiquen:
Explanation: Vespiquen has decent stats and can Defog, but is held back severally due to its typing. It won’t be a super star, but it’ll definitely be better in lower tiers.

:ss/Pachirisu:
Tera: Water, Flying
Explanation: Volt Absorb

:ss/Floatzel:
Explanation: Basically low tier Barraskewda but not as frail and in an environment without Rain

:ss/Gastrodon:
Explanation: Storm Drain and Grass resist

:ss/Drifblim:
Tera: Ground, Electric, Fairy, Poison, Steel
Explanation: Complimentary typings, STABs, and also Poison immunity for Flare Boost.

:ss/Bronzong:
Tera: Dark, Fire
Explanation: Ghost/Dark resist on a Pokemon that normally is resistant to Fairy, or Levitating Fire type to resist Fire types.

:ss/Spiritomb:
Tera: Steel, Dark
Explanation: Bulkier Sableye with decent offenses too

:ss/Garchomp:
Tera: Ground, Fire, Steel, Water, Fairy
Explanation: Garchomp play a variety of role from Tank to set up Sweeper, and is very similar to Dragonite/Salamence, but with a Ground typing. Extra stronger Earthquakes, Ice Resistances with extra STABs, or Fairy/Ground coverage.

:ss/Lucario:
Tera: Normal, Steel
Explanation: Don’t really know what else to do with Lucario besides make its priority spamming stronger.

:ss/Hippowdon:
Tera: Steel, Ground, Rock
Explanation: See Tyranitar

:ss/Lumineon:
Tera: Fire, Ground, Grass
Explanation: Storm Drain and resisting its weaknesses.

:ss/Abomasnow:
Tera: Ice
Explanation: See Tyranitar, but much worse since all Abomasnow can do is become Ice.

:ss/Rotom: :ss/Rotom-fan::ss/rotom-frost: :ss/rotom-mow: :ss/rotom-heat: :ss/rotom-wash:
Tera: Electric, Fire, Steel, Grass*, Fairy*, Rock*
Explanation: Although their different typings means they have different niches and counter different things, a lot of Tera types overlap thanks to Levitate and Steel resisting so much stuff.

:ss/Toxicroak:
Tera: Dark, Fighting, Poison, Fire
Explanation: See Sneasler, but with also potential Dry Skin use.

:ss/Lilligant:
Tera: Rock, Electric, Fire, Ground, Ice
Explanation: Despite constant praise for Grass typing seen with so many Pokemon using it, and Grass having its good qualities, mono grass offensively isn’t ideal. Sure it’s the only type to beat Water and Ground at the same time (besides Freeze Dry), but a lot of things resist Grass too, and Lilligant has terrible coverage options so it needs Tera Blast desperately.

(pretend Lilligant Hisui is here)
Tera: See Breloom but replace Steel with Fire
Explanation: Breloom but with a broken af Victory Dance.

(pretend there is a Basculegion here)
Tera: Psychic*, Ice*, Rest depends on Movepool and how Adaptability works with Tera
Explanation: Basculegion being an Adaptability user has a lot of potential for being strong, depending on how Terastallizing works. Due to its crappy movepool, it does have limited options. Only really making use of Zen Headbutt and Ice Beam/Fang. We’ll have to see.

:ss/Krookodile:
Tera: Fire, Water, Grass, Poison, Fighting, Flying
Explanation: Krookodile is an extremely unique Pokemon with its unique typing, its set of abilities, and somewhat rounded stats. Its unique typing means many dual complimentary types. Fire resists Ground’s Ice and Grass weaknesses and Dark’s Fairy weakness. Poison similarly resists Grass, but also Bug and Fairy. Flying lets helps its Dark typing against Bug and Fighting, helps its Ground weakness in Grass, and also provides that Ground/Flying STAB coverage. Water/Grass only helps the its Ground typing, but Water has Aqua Tail to use. Fighting with Dark has also proven to be great.

:ss/Crustle:
Tera: Ground, Rock, Bug, Steel, Fighting
Explanation: Crustle is mostly known as a Shell Smash sets and 1v1 sets. It does potentially have other options, but Shell Smash is hard to pass up. Bug/Rock is only resisted by Fighting/Steel, and Ground or Fighting help in that department while also resisting Rock. Steel has Heavy Slam to use and resists 2 of its weakness, but makes it walled easily by opposing Steels. Rock and Bug just there for Super STAB.

:ss/Zoroark: (pretend Hisuian Zoroark is here)
Tera: Dark/Ghost, Fighting, Poison*
Explanation: The goated play for Illusion is to have a partner like that is weak to Psychic or Fighting and would use Dark/Ghost, and act like you are Terastallizing to avoid an attack and keep your Illusion up without your opponent suspecting a thing. Technically you can do this with any type that has an immunity, but it is better when Super STAB. The more practical thing probably is to use Fighting or Poison but with similar tactics.

:ss/Sawsbuck:
Tera: Fire, Water, Ground, Rock
Explanation: See Leafeon for Sun teams. That isn’t all. Sawsbuck is also equiped with Sap Sipper when you don’t want to or can’t use a Sun team.

Tera: Dark, Water, Steel, Fire
Explanation: Amoonguss having its weaknesses covered with Dark, Water, Steel, and Fire, the latter of which helps it beat Steel types.

:ss/Alomomola:
Tera: Grass, Steel, Poison
Explanation: Grass covers for Grass and Electric, and Steel/Poison cover Grass while also covering Toxic as well.

:ss/Eelektross:
Tera: Fire, Steel, Rock, Electric
Explanation: Levitate.

:ss/Haxorus:
Tera: Steel, Ground, Fighting, Poison.
Explanation: Steel is definitely Haxorus’s best option since it lets Haxorus resist Fairy and Ice while hitting them with STAB Iron Head, although it has the option of Fighting, Ground, or Poison.

:ss/Beartic:
Tera: Water, Electric, Fighting, Ice
Explanation: Beartic is in a really great position for Terastallizing, depending on if GameFreak decides to buff Slush Rush so it reflects Sand Rush more. If not, Beartic either just deals with Hail Damage when not an Ice type, or faces stiff competition from Barraskewda on Rain. It may be significantly slower than Barraskewda and is still slower than Regieleki under Rain (which will come back like all legendaries), it makes up for it by making itself into Arctozolt. It will do noticably less damage than Bolt Beak initially, but Tera Blast+Sword Dance can out damage it.
252 Atk Arctozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 108-127 (27.4 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 252 Atk (Electric) Beartic Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- 62.7% chance to 3HKO
Not only that, but its non-electric moves hit way harder and have better coverage.
Arctozolt obviously is better on hail if Slush Rush is unchanged, but Beartic is something to consider.

:ss/cryogonal:
Tera: Steel, Poison, Water
Explanation: All you need to know is Levitate.

:ss/Bisharp:
Tera: Dark, Ghost, Flying, Water, Bug, Grass, Fairy
Explanation: I talked about Bisharp breifly last time, assuming that you’d lose one of your STABs. Realizing that you don’t, some things have changed for my opinion. Since you keep your STABs, and Bisharp doesn’t really need to use other coverage, Bisharp can actually focus on just covering its weaknesses with Ghost, Flying, Water, Fairy, and even Bug (normally Bug is overlooked mainly because its role of Fighting/Ground resist is done better by Flying. You could use on Bisharp here because Bisharp can remain Dark/Steel for Rock types. Also if Rillaboom returns, Cloyster can run Bug).
Other than that, you can run Dark for even stronger Dark moves.

:ss/Braviary:
Tera: Fighting, Rock, Steel
Explanation: Braviary is sadly just worse Staraptor, with its only niche being Sheer Force Rock Slides/Iron Head and being Anti-Defog with Defiant.

(pretend Braviary-Husiuan is here)
Tera: Fire, Psychic, Fighting, Flying, Fairy
Explanation: Braviary-H looks like it will definitely fair better because its competition for offensive Psychic/Flying type is Articuno-G and Sheer Force is generally stronger for Special Attackers. Deapite PLA’s movepool problems, we know Braviary learns Hurricane, Psychic, Mystical Fire, and Esper Wing. Even without Focus Blast, something it’ll likely get, Braviary does need other options than Mystical Fire to beat Steel types that wall it out. Fairy can be a good option, especially if it gets Moonblast, but would mostly be for Dark types.

:ss/Hydreigon:
Tera: Steel, Poison, Fire, Ground
Explanation: Needs none. It speaks for itself.

:ss/Volcarona:
Tera: Ground, Water, Psychic, Grass
Explanation: Volcarona was talked about previously, and I thought Psychic would be the best one, but seeing as Tera Blast is 80 BP it makes for a strong argument to use Ground or Water Tera Blast, both of which benefit Volcarona defensively. Grass is also a decent option against bulky Waters with Giga Drain. Luckily Volcarona keeps its old STABs too.
And you know, Volcarona is getting shill hard recently by GameFreak.

:ss/Talonflame:
Tera: Flying, Steel
Explanation: While Talonflame is the posterchild for Bird Spam in Gen 6, a lot of the best Talonflame sets were actually defensive or bulky related. It was so fast and had priority Roost/Brave Bird that it can easily invest into bulk. While Stealth Rock sucker, outside of that weakness, Flying/Fire is actually a really good type defensively in OU. You can of course Bird Spam more in the lower tiers, but the real play is to bring back defensive Talonflame with Steel.

:ss/Vivillon:
Tera: Ground, Fighting, Flying
Explanation: Beating Steel and Rock types or Super STAB Hurricanes

:ss/Pyroar:
Tera: Pyroar is so mid, Grass
Explanation: No one will find this message. I’m slowly losing my mind having worked more than 3 full days one this.

:ss/Florges:
Explanation: Fairy

:ss/Gogoat:
Tera: Water, Ground
Expla-: SAP SIPPER!

:ss/Pangoro:
Tera: Poison, Steel
Explanation: Poison/Steel compliments Pangoro as a Fairy resist, and either as a Flying Resist or as a Fighting Resist. It also completes the Fighting/Dark STAB combo with Gunk Shot or Iron Head/Bullet Punch.

:ss/Clawitzer:
Tera: Fighting, Dark, Water, Grass*, Electric*, Psychic*, Fairy*
Explanation: All Teras work with Mega Launcher, but last four only work with Terrain Pulse. Grass of course complimenting Water, and Fairy being good defensively at least while beating Dragons. Don’t use Ice it’s too slow.

:ss/Hawlucha:
Tera: Rock, Steel, Electric, Fire
Explanation: Like Bisharp, Hawlucha is fine just using its STABs so it can focus more defensively with Steel and protecting itself from burns with Fire. Rock and Electric have their uses too as STAB against its checks, but Electric also lets Hawlucha take on Paralysis without Limber and can utilize Electric Terrain (for when Koko is back).

:ss/Dedenne:
Tera: See
Explanation: Luvdisc

:ss/Carbink:
Tera: Fighting, Steel, Grass
Explanation: It’s literally just Diancie without any offensive pressence, BESIDES Body Press. It obviously will be in tiers below Diancie, but also Registeel that also 100% outclasses it too, but we’re assuming you are playing that tier and using Carbink.

:ss/Goodra: (pretend Goodra’s Hisuian form is here)
Tera: Poison*, Steel*, Fighting, Ground, Water
Explanation: Besides SAP SIPPER so using Ground and Water, Goodra has the best Special Bulk of all Body Press users, and also has access to Acid Armor. Hisuian Goodra likely will get Body Press and either Acid Armor or Iron Defense. Poison/Steel is only useful on regular Goodra since it’s not immune to Toxic.

:ss/Avalugg: (pretend Avalugg Hisuian is here)
Tera: Water, Steel, Fire, Poison, Fairy, Ghost, Ground, Fighting
Explanation: I discussed Avalugg in the last post and several times. It’s by far the most buffed Pokemon with this mechanic, acting as the physical Blissey is always wanted to be, and there are several types it wants to be. Held back by god awful typing in both forms, unable to utilize its full potential. Regular Avalugg will be known as Physical Blissey, but what about its Hisuian form? Well with Tera retaining your STABs, Hisuian Avalugg will make for a great Choice Band Pokemon, especially with Mountain Gale as Ice STAB. It would likely use just Ground or Fighting in that case, and can just replace regular Avalugg if it learns Recover, making it Defensive Avalugg but with Stealth Rock too.

:ss/Noivern:
Tera: Normal, Flying, Steel, Fire
Explanation:
B
O
O
M

B
U
R
S
T
And Hurricane, and removing Ice/Fairy weaknesses.

:ss/gumshoos:
Tera: Dark, Ground
Explanation: Stakeout is definitely Gumshoos best ability and pretty much all Gumshoos just run Choice Band sets with Normal STAB, U-Turn, Crunch, and Earthquake. Needs a movepool update for better coverage.

:ss/Crabominable:
Tera: Fighting, Water, Ground, Steel, Electric
Explanation: Crabominable has some pretty decent options for Teras. It has coverage moves for all these moves and all of them at least remove its Ice weaknesses.

:ss/Oricorio: :ss/oricorio-pom-pom::ss/oricorio-pa’u: :ss/oricorio-sensu:
Tera: Depends on how Revelation Dance works
Explanation: Oricorio has the unique signature move in Revelation Dance, which depending on how Tera works with Revelation Dance, is just a straight upgrade. Either it works based off of Oricorio’s original primary typing, of it matches its Tera typing. Testing in custome games won’t work well since Tera is definitely different from something like Protean or Conversion. Oricorio might actually prefer the latter since its movepool is pretty bad.

:ss/Lycanroc: :ss/lycanroc-midnight: :ss/lycanroc-dusk:
Tera: Fighting, Rock, Dark, Steel, Fairy, Ground
Explanation: Rock is a weakness ridden type, and Lycanroc forms do have a wide movepool. Namely Dusk form will use it due to Tough Claws, which gives nearly the same boost as Super STAB.

:ss/Mudsdale:
Tera: Steel, Water, Fighting
Explanation: Heavy Slam+Grass/Ice resist, Body Press, Close Combat, and resisting Water/Ice.

:ss/lurantis:
Tera: Fire, Rock, Fighting
Explanation: Similar to Lilligant, but with Contrary instead

:ss/Tsareena:
Tera: Steel, Fairy, Fighting
Explanation: Tsareena’s main goal is to be support Pokemon, but with some punch (or kick). It is also a fine Choice Band user as well.

:ss/Golisopod:
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Ground
Explanation: One of Golisopod’s major drawbacks is its ability forcing it to switch out at half health. This weakness is further compounded by its Stealth Rock weakness, making it very easy for Golisopod to be forced out. This was alleviated somewhat with Heavy Duty Boots, but still preventing it from being a lot better.

:ss/palossand:
Tera: Grass, Water, Dragon
Explanation: Palossand can now act as a proper counter to Physical types like it always wanted by making itself resistant to Water. Each type has their own advantages as a Water Resist. Grass Resists Ground and Electric, but not Ice. Water Resists Ice and Steel, but not Grass. And Dragon resists Grass, Fire, and Electric, but not Ice or Fairy. Dragon is like Bug, where it is decent type but is outclassed by other types usually.

:ss/Pyukumuku:
Tera: Any of the Defensive typings you’d like
Explanation: Since Pyukumuku exclusively only has status moves and only Counter/Mirror Coat, it literally does not benefit what so ever from STAB options. So Terastallizing Pyukumuku only makes sense for defensive benefits. So Terastallize to what your team needs defensively.

:ss/komala:
Tera: Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: See Persian and other generic normal types, but without Poison as Poison’s main purpose is being Toxic immune while covering Fighting types.

:ss/Mimikyu:
Tera: Grass, Fighting, Bug, Ghost, Fairy
Explanation: Ghost/Fairy is a great type defensively, being only weak to Ghost and Steel, and Mimikyu already gets to take a free hit anyways. Additionally, Mimikyu is mostly used as a Sword Dance sweeper, so it doesn’t switch in often. It has access to Drain Punch, Leech Life, and Wood Hammer for extra STABs.

:ss/Bruxish:
Tera: Dark
Explanation: Bruxish being a Psychic type benefits from a type that resists Ghost and Dark, additionally also making Crunch even Stronger.

:ss/Dhelmise:
Tera: Steel, Fighting
Explanation: What a lot people assume is that Dhelmise has triple STABs, which most case it effectively is, but Steelworker is just a straight x1.5 to Steel moves. So Dhelmise becoming Steel means Steel moves will have x2.25 damage. Steel is also great for Dhelmise as it’s a Grass type that is immune to Fighting initially, complimenting Dhelmise defensively. Fighting is also good for Dark type and because Ghost/Fighting provides great coverage.

:ss/Salazzle:
Tera: Grass, Flying, Bug, Dark
Explanation: Like with Bisharp, Poison/Fire is pretty good as is offensively, and can instead let Salazzle focus more on defensing itself.

:ss/Greedent:
Tera: Ghost, Dark, Ground, Fairy
Explanation: See Gumshoos and Persian

:ss/Corviknight:
Tera: Dragon
Explanation: Corviknight is an amazing Pokemon already and doesn’t need much in Terastallizing. It appreciates Dragons resistance to Fire and Electric.

:ss/Drednaw:
Tera: Dark, Bug
Explanation: Dark would be only used on Strong Jaws while Bug would be used on Swift Swim sets with Megahorn to combat Grass types better.

:ss/coalossal:
Tera: Grass, Water, Rock
Explanation: Ok, so Coalossal plays very differently in Singles and Doubles, and its Terastallize types have different reasons for using them. Grass works well with both Flash Fire and Steam Engine. Water resists both Water and Fire attack for Steam Engine gimmicks. Rock is purely Doubles, specifically VGC, to recreate G-Max Coalossal playstyles.

:ss/flapple:
Explanation: Flapple lacks any kind of way to beat Steel types and has a nasty Ice weakness too. With Tera Fire, it easily solves both issues it may have.

:ss/Appletun:
Explanation: Appletun has the same typing, but is more defensive. Fire is actually pretty good defensively, but Water and Steel are better.

:ss/sandaconda:
tera: See Mudsdale
Explanation: See Mudsdale

:ss/barraskewda:
Tera: Water, Fighting, Psychic
Explanation: I talked about the premier Gen 8 Swift Swimmer before with Tera, and under the assumption I thought there might be downsides for Barraskewda, or how you’re gonna need to weigh your options of beating Ferrothorn and other Rain threats, or keep your Water STAB. Well you just get both with far less consideration. This does buff Barraskewda by a lot. Looking at the list, Ferrothorn or Rillaboom looks like it won’t be in the initial game and probably saved for DLC, so you can really use Psychic more often. We’ll have to see.

:ss/Toxtricity:
Tera: Normal, Dark
Explanation: Most people will use Normal initially because of Boom Burst, and while strong and removes Toxtricity’s Ground weakness, it does mean Toxtricity gets walled easily by Ghost types and Tera Ghost types. Dark also removes that weakness and can be used to throw off people Terastallizing a specially bulky Pokemon into a Ghost type or Tera Ghost type.

:ss/polteageist:
Explanation: Polteageist is like the special version of Cloyster but with more mixed bulk and being a Ghost type. It has Shell Smash, and could actually have been a top tier Pokemon. It has decent speed for Shell Smash, a massive SpA, and has anti-unaware options. Problem is that Polteageist’s movepool is lacking coverage and it’s very allergic to Sucker Punch or Dark types in general. Tera Fighting not only gives it STAB Ghost and Fighting moves with Shadow Ball and Tera Blast, but also makes Polteageist resist Sucker Punch too.
Also RIP James Turner. Looks like only Polteageist survived his leaving GameFreak.

:ss/hatterene:
Explanation: Hatterene doesn’t have much going for it outside of STAB Mystical Fire and Steel for Poison/Steel types. It doesn’t have the same diverse movepool as Gardevoir does.

:ss/Grimmsnarl:
Explanation: See Sableye, but now resisting Grimm’s weakness to Poison and Steel.

:ss/Falinks:
Tera: Fire, Poison, Dark, Bug, Ghost
Explanation: Falinks is a very gimmicky omnibooster. Similar to Clanging Scales on Kommo-o, No Retreat omni-boosts your Pokemon but at a sever price. It forces Falinks to stay in for most scenarios. So best thing you can do is avoid Status, and bully Psychic types. Ghost could also be used to let Falinks retreat after No Retreat, but it may not work like that for Tera Ghost.

:ss/Pincurchin:
Tera: Electric, Water, Grass
Explanation: If you’re using Pincurchin of all Pokemon, either go all out with Electric Terrain Rising Voltage Spam
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Pincurchin Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Electric Terrain: 394-464 (55.1 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Or you use similar to Pelipper but in lower tiers where you cover your weaknesses or at least beat most Ground types.

:ss/Frosmoth:
Tera: Water
Explanation: Fire and Rock are Frosmoth’s biggest weaknesses, and not only does Water remove those weaknesses, it provides Frosmoth with good coverage in Water Tera Blast too.

:ss/stonjourner:
Tera: A STAB on one of its move
Explanation: idk tbh since stonjourner is dookie.

:ss/eiscue:
Tera: Water, Electric
Explanation: See Beartic, but with only Water and Electric

:ss/Indeedee: :ss/indeedee-f:
Tera: Psychic, Fairy, Fire, Fighting
Explanation: Besides Psychic Terrain and Expanding Force, the Indeedee forms don’t have a lot going a lot for them. Both are nearly identical, and benefit from these Teras as resisting Dark or at least have a STAB option like Mystical Fire or Expanding Force.

:ss/Copperajah:
Tera: Steel, Grass, Fairy, Rock
Explanation: Copperajah is a very tanky low tier Pokemon that can hit hard. Its main power doesn’t come from Sheer Force, but rather Heavy Metal Heavy Slam actually. Heavy Slam can be even stronger, as Steel is already a good type, but Grass and Fairy cover Copperajah well against Ground and Fighting. Rock can actually be used on Sheer Force sets since it learns Rock Slide too.

:ss/Dragapult:
Tera: Dragon, Ghost, Fairy, Fire, Electric, Water, Steel, Fighting
Explanation: I talked previously about Dragpult on the last list, and boy is Dragapult looking absolutely insane. Even more so now that we know that Tera Blast has great power. National Dex banned Dragapult because of it having (usable) physical Ghost. It’s absolutely going to be broken now that it gets Tera Blast for Physical Ghost moves, even if it’s not as powerful as Z Phantom Force. Not only just physical Ghost moves, but also stronger Dragon Darts, stronger Draco Meteors, can become Fairy to stay in against Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch/Dragon types, has potential for both physical and special fighting moves, stronger coverage for Fire, Water, and Electric moves, and can use a Steel move better than Steel Wing on both sides. Oh and Zeraora isn’t in the game to speed creep it.
This thing will no doubt be banned early on and will make playing OU a nightmare. It makes Gen 4 Garchomp look tame.

:ss/Charizard:
Tera: Fire, Fighting, Grass
Explanation: I-is t-t-t-that Cha-chari-Charizard from KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:ss/Articuno:
Tera: Water, Steel
Explanation: Defensive Ice type. Enough said.

:ss/articuno-galar:
Explanation: Articuno-G is like Braviary-H, but definetly worse. Not having Sheer Force and less exciting signature move. It does have good stats and Competitive makes it a nice Anti-Defogger, but gets stonewalled hard by Steel. Fighting can let it at least touch Steel types most of the time and also lets it resist Dark moves too.

:ss/Zapdos:
Explanation: Zapdos synergizes extremely well with Steel typing, Not only does it make Zapdos immune to Poison, but more importantly it makes Zapdos resist it 2 weaknesses. It does however makes Zapdos weak to Fighting/Ground, so Terastallize Zapdos carefully. Additionally, Zapdos works extremely well on Rain teams with its movepool buff in Gen 8. Anything that can otherwise wall out Rain team is beat by Zapdos.

:ss/Zapdos-Galar:
Tera: Ghost, Poison, Dark, Electric
Explanation: Zapdos-G is a fantastic Pokemon and a cornerstone of anti-defog already, despite its Flying Weakness. But what if it didn’t have that weakness? Well it now can easily switch into Defoggers without worry of their Flying STABs, and additionally provides great STAB coverage. Ghost and Dark work well with Fighting, namely Ghost, and Gapdos already has Flying STAB to beat most Fairies. Poison is also a good one for Fairies as well. And Electric resists Flying, synergizes well with Gapdos’s Flying, and also gives it Super Effective coverage against Toxapex and Tornadus-T.

:ss/moltres:
Tera: Grass, Ground
Explanation: Moltres benefits heavily becoming Grass to protect it from all its weaknesses while also providing Grass coverage. Ground is also useful for Moltres being a proper Rock resistance doesn’t require Tera Blast for STAB.

:ss/moltres-galar:
Tera: Dark, Flying, Steel, Poison
Explanation: Moltres-G, like Bisharp, has pretty good STAB combo already for its bulky stat spread. It can afford to focus more on defenses like Bisharp, but also can Super STAB Dark and Flying moves if it wants.

:ss/Mew:
Tera: Literally just treat Mew like it’s Arceus
Explanation: With Mew’s wide pool of moves, Mew is essentially 600 BST Arceus. Not only is it mini Arceus, but it also has a more pratical ability. Of course some are better than others, like with Arceus, but its still incredible what Mew can do in all sectors.

:ss/typhlosion:(Pretend Typhlosion-Hisui is here)
Explanation: Typhlosion and its Hisuian form are really nothing special, and Hisuian Typhlosion may be mostly a downgrade from regular Typhlosion because it’s slower for barely more SpA on something without Eruption or Focus either currently, but may change in SV. Grass is a good choice to beat Waters/Rocks/Grounds while taking advantage of Flash Fire, and Fighting gives STAB to Focus Blast for regular Typhlosion, and gives Hisuian Typhlosion actual Fighting coverage and a Dark resistance.

:ss/Dialga: (pretend Origin Dialga is here too)
Tera: Flying, Bug, Fire, Electric, Rock, Steel, Fairy, Ghost, Dragon
Explanation: Dialga and its Origin form have great potential for Terastallization as it’s both an offensive and defensive powerhouse with an expansive movepool and set variety. Since Dialga is only weak to Fighting and Ground, has a bunch of options to deal with either or even both. It can also give its coverage moves more kick when it needs a KO and can make either of its STABs nuclear.

:ss/Palkia: (pretend Palkia-Origin is here)
Tera: Water, Dragon, Electric, Steel, Fire, Fairy
Explanation: Palkia having less weaknesses, only being weak to Fairy, Dragon, and Freeze-Dry, as well as being more offensive, Palkia will have use Tera types than Dialgia, but of course will still be powerful with it.

:ss/giratina: :ss/giratina-origin:
Tera: Fairy, Steel, Poison, Fighting, Ghost
Explanation: Giratina is a great defensive user of Terastallizing. Fairy of course resists Dark and makes Giratina immune to Dragon. Steel resists Ice and Fairy while making Giratina immune to Toxic, and Poison does the same for being immune to Toxic+Fairy resisting, but also only weak to Psychic on Origin form and resists Fighting. Giratina-O can also use Fighting or Ghost on more offensive sets too, giving it perfect coverage or incredibly strong Ghost STAB.

:ss/Victini:
Tera: Electric, Grass, Fire, Fighting, Ground
Explanation: Victini was another Pokemon I talked about before and didn’t realize you keep your STABs. So it makes using non-STAB Teras and Defensive Teras a lot more viable when you don’t sacrifice your STABs. I also didn’t know Tera Blast would be 80 BP so Victini also has Physical Grass moves that is somewhat viable.

:ss/Samurott: (pretend Hisiuan form is here)
Tera: Grass, Fairy, Poison, Fighting, Bug
Explanation: Samurott is extremely generic outside of Megahorn, but its Hisuian form is a lot more interesting thanks to it’s signature move is Dark version of Axe Cutter, setting up Stealth Rock.

:ss/Tornadus: :ss/tornadus-therian:
Tera: Ground, Steel, Fighting, Flying, Dark
Explanation: So Ground and Steel are pretty obvious choices for Defensive Tornadus, but it can also be more offensive with Focus Blast STAB, Knock Off STAB, snd Super STAB Hurricanes. Additionally Tera Blast Ground can work on Tornadus as well.

:ss/thundurus: :ss/thundurus-therian:
Tera: Ice, Fighting, Dark, Flying, Water*, Electric
Explanation: Thundurus and its therian form don’t do much defensively, so all its Teras should be somewhat useful offensively. Electric/Ice is great STAB combo. It has Fighting and Dark coverage on both sides. Flying/Water are immune to Electric thank to volt absorb, but also provide great Tera Blast options too, and Electric can make its Electric attacks nuclear.

:ss/Landorus:
Tera: Psychic, Dark, Grass, Poison, Ground, Flying
Explanation: Landorus and its Therian form are 2 different beasts when it comes to sets, so Landorus here has different types. Namely using Sheer Force types like Psychic, Poison, and Ground, but also can use Dark for Knock Off and Grass for Grass Knot if it wants too. Also Tera Blast Flying works for Ground/Flying STAB if it doesn’t get Air Slash or Hurricane.

:ss/Landorus-therian:
Tera: Water, Ground, Steel, Flying, Rock
Explanation: Ground/Flying is an amazing typing letting Landorus-T give its team a Fighting, Ground, and Electric check all on a Pokemon with Stealth Rock and U-turn. One of the best Tera types for Landorus-T is Water Tera type because it eliminates the 2 weaknesses Landorus has and is extremely good on its own. This is what I mentioned before, and not much has changed about what I said before besides the buff to original STABs. So it still fires off really strong Earthquakes as a Water type. Steel works pretty well for Landorus-T’s Defensive sets too. Additionally, Landorus-T is not a linear Pokemon. It can be offensive as well, with Ground for even stronger Earthquakes, Flying for Flying STAB that compliments Landorus-T, and Rock for STAB on Stone Edge.

:ss/Meloetta:
Explanation: Really fixes Meloetta’s weaknesses defensively and provides Focus Blast STAB.

:ss/chesnaught:
Tera: See Breloom
Explanation: See Breloom

:ss/Delphox:
Tera: See Victini, but without Electric
Explanation: See Victini but special only

:ss/Greninja:
Tera: Steel, maybe what it would use for Hidden Power before
Explanation: With Greninja having Protean, there isn’t anything you can do with Terastallizing on it. It will just change its type and be a complete waste, until you switch out and in. Only other thing it can technically do is provide Greninja with Tera Blast types kind of like Hidden Power. So it’s not really great as a Terastallizer. However…

:ss/Greninja-Ash:
Tera: Water, Dark, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Electric
Explanation: Ash-Greninja is completely different in that it’s one of the premier offensive users of Terastallizing, giving it nearly Protean levels of power running 2 Water moves, Dark Pulse, and your choice of what ever type you want, or you can make its Water/Dark options even stronger with its signature Spikes set from Gen 7. It really is on another level and will be just like Dragapult, but trading in speed for much more power. Quick Banned for sure, unless there is some new Pokemon in OU that can dominate it.

:ss/Diancie:
Tera: See Carbink, but with the addition of Ground, and Fire
Explanation: Diancie is pretty much a straight upgrade from Carbink outside of Sturdy (on a bulky Pokemon). It can do everything Carbink does, but better, and has more offensive options to use.

:ss/Decidueye: (pretend Hisuian form is here)
Tera: Steel, Fighting, Flying, Rock*
Explanation:

:ss/Magearna:
Tera: Electric, Water, Grass, Flying, Fairy
Explanation: Magearna already has one of the best typings in the game, some its benefits from Terastallizing are STAB, Super STAB for Fluer Cannon, and covering its weaknesses.

(Pretend Enamorus and her Therian form is here)
Tera: Ground, Steel, maybe more when SV gives it more moves
Explanation: And finally, Enamorus is the new Genie and has Togekiss’s typing. Ground and Steel help Enamorus out with its Weaknesses and the former provides STAB for Earthpower. Ground covers Poison, Electric, and Rock, while Steel covers Ice, Rock, Poison, and Steel.
Reposting a list I made for most of the returning Pokemon and what Tera types they’ll lilely be using. It was made Oct 25th so no every Pokemon is there (and it took me 4 whole says to make)
I’m just posting this for feed back and being a helpful guide for discussion. I also want to make a list like this but for the new Fully Evolved Pokemon. I’ll do that at a later time.
Some things I did mention where things like Beartic being in Hail, which now that Hail is Snow changes Beartic a bit, or something like Ash Greninja which is sort of in the game.

btw sorry for double posting in the future. Hit the character limit.
One big one you missed was Tera Normal for Dragonite. Which essentially just turns it into a stronger version of Extreme Killer Arceus minus swords dance.

Hello everyone, I'm a longtime casual player and I am trying to use SV as an excuse to finally get seriously into competitive singles, and in preparation for Friday I've been cooking up a core using 2 of the new pokemon, and I want to get the opinion of more experienced players.

The idea of the core is to take a hit with Arbolivia, which activates grassy terrain due to seed sower, and then eject button out to sneasler who gets an unburden speed boost and sweeps with powerful coverage. It basically tries to ape the Rillaboom/Hawlucha core from SS, but a bit different because Arbolivia is defensive instead of offensive and Sneasler is just a lot better than Lucha from what I can tell.

Arbolivia @ Eject Button
Ability: Seed Sower
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk 0 Spe
- Encore
- Energy Ball/Leaf Storm
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Encore is to force opponents to attack you, if they try to use a setup move and you encore then you just switch out and pressure it with something else on your team. Grass stab is to not be taunt bait and also utilizes Arbolivia's high special attack stat, and dual screens are filler moves to better enable a sneasler sweep if you can get them off before taking a hit. They could also be sunny day, charm, or manual grassy terrain depending on what you value/what works in practice.

Sneasler @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Gunk Shot/Dire claw
- Tera Blast (Ice)

As I said the fighting flying coverage just copies what hawlucha does in gen 8 ou, but coming off of 130 base attack instead of 92. Poison coverage lets you beat fairies and have strong stab into things that fighting/flying struggles against; I'd imagine gunk shot would be better but depending on calcs that I don't want to do right now dire claw's base power could be enough to make the effects worth it. Tera ice is meant to beat landorus and dragapult, both of which could otherwise stop a sweep. The most notable typing i can think of that seriously walls this is steel/ghost; luckily aegislash isn't in the game but if gholdengo is good in OU it could be a problem that you'd have to plan for in the rest of your team. This currently reaches 678 speed, but the speed could be reduced depending on what speedtier appears to be most valuable based on the meta.

So what do you guys think? I'm fairly inexperienced with teambuilding but this seems to me like it could be really strong. The team I've been building and am planning to run it with is a sun hyper offense, but I feel like it could be good in a lot of offensive structures.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
overselling offensive Terastallizing
Terastalizing is very broken, especially with defensive pokemon being more passive than ever. Besides the free adaptability boost on spammable stabs, defensive terastalizing can be used offensively, to stop a revenge killing attempt or set up a sweep by changing your defensive type.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Terastalizing is very broken, especially with defensive pokemon being more passive than ever. Besides the free adaptability boost on spammable stabs, defensive terastalizing can be used offensively, to stop a revenge killing attempt or set up a sweep by changing your defensive type.
Maybe wait until we can actually play the meta before blindly calling something broken. Paper does not strictly translate into practice.

Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beads of Ruin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ruination
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

This set punishes any Tyranitar that thinks they can come in for free. In case you didn't know, Ruination is a Nature's Madness clone. Obviously, the Nasty Plot set is gonna be spammed the very second this thing is released, but this one shows that Chi-Yu has some more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)