Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Twas a joke, I know lando is everywhere, but when I run adrenaline orb fell stinger buzzwole (to use one example), I can go 5-10 games and somehow manage to see no lando. Switch back to life orb, lando parade
I understand that feeling. Whenever I make a Magnezone team, the number of ladder teams with no steels seems to increase.

I know that feeling all too well. A while back, I was experimenting with that very same item on Garchomp so I can use dragon claw because scale shot fucking pisses me off but guess what, not a single Landorus in like seven games in a row. The same whenever I use yache on it. No Weavile for a bunch of battles and the moment I switch to lum, I run into Weavile. This seems like a curse on the ladder whenever you want to experiment something

I’m curious about any cool :mew: sets you guys have. Any time I ever fight this thing, I am absolutely terrified of it, and I kinda think everyone should be. It only takes one game where you relax and get eaten by a LO ice beam/earth power/flamethrower set before you truly have the fear of god put in you.

I know the most common ones are usually spikes lead and CP stored power, but I am curious about any other cool sets you’ve had success with, I know I’ve seen LO 3/4 attacks, SD, dragon dance, etc.

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
I’m curious about any cool :mew: sets you guys have. Any time I ever fight this thing, I am absolutely terrified of it, and I kinda think everyone should be. It only takes one game where you relax and get eaten by a LO ice beam/earth power/flamethrower set before you truly have the fear of god put in you.

I know the most common ones are usually spikes lead and CP stored power, but I am curious about any other cool sets you’ve had success with, I know I’ve seen LO 3/4 attacks, SD, dragon dance, etc.
:bw/mew:
Mew @ Kasib Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Triple Axel
- Flare Blitz/Gunk Shot

- Earthquake

(Jolly Nature if running Gunk)

HELLO KIND READERS!

I Heard you want a Mew that is Filled with ACTION!
Now, Let me ask YOU a Question!
What do you do... When You see A Mew?
NO NEED TO ANSWER! Let me do it for You!

When u see a mew, you go hard torn t to taunt, ghosts to pelt it with shadow ball, fini to taunt or trick, Tran to trap to avoid the demise that is losing to.

:roseli-berry::red-card::red-card::ss/mew::red-card::red-card::roseli-berry:
"=-DEMON-MEW-="
'THE ONE STOP SHOP TO TORTURE YOUR OPPONENT'

Guess what? DD mew is a solution to the people who swore againts demon mew (myself included) and try to counter it. this set punishes those by DD-ing up and just killing those counters, what if its scarf blace? Kasib berry.

Why axel? if the set is shown, people will go lando to counter it... kill the lando

Why Blitz? Corviknight, Ferro and Buzzwole walls this hard so its pretty good to be able to kill them, but if its paired with zone, You can run Gunk Shot to hit fini HARD and ohko lele if they lead with it and you lead it as well, and run jolly so ur faster

Why Earthquake? Heatran walls demon mew so its there to kill it and also beat pex

(tho to be honest, i didnt make this set to be anti-demon mew counter, i made this before demon mew is as popular just as a cool DD sweeper but it just so happens to work well as one, so there we go!)

Last edited:

Pre-DLC I used DD+Roost+PsyFangs+CC with Life Orb. It was a neat set. Slowbro and Mandibuzz are huge roadblocks. Lando-T probably is now as well. However, Corvi & Clef were easy set up fodder. Zera and Pult are outsped and OHKOed by PsyFangs at +1 with an Adamant nature. Ninetales teams were 6-0ed at preview. Rilla and Bisharp are on the downturn so it may be usable again.

EDIT: the set above me is probably better in current meta.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Back during the Summer, Spikes / Knock / Soft / filler was a semi-common utility set.

Back during the earlier part of the generation, sets with Imprison and Transform created a massive headache.

In terms of niche sets, Weakness Policy with any speed boosting move has been one of the ladder’s favorite picks, but those sets tend to be support reliant and inconsistent.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Choice Scarf, Choice Band, Choice Specs. Good Pokemon with these respective items in SS OU.
Choice Scarf:
:gengar: Gengar utilizes Choice Scarf pretty well and is able to revengekill a plethora of threats with its Ghost / Poison STAB combination. It can make use of Trick and coverage like Focus Blast and Thunderbolt or Nasty Plot to boost itself after it tricked the item to Pokemon it can abuse well such as Blissey, which is greatly appreciated. Gengars Speed tier still leaves it behind Weavile, Dragapult, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Koko when it isn't choiced anymore but its Speed tier still puts it above Pokemon such as Kartana and with its Choice Scarf it outruns threats such as Arctozolt in Hail which is pretty valuable, so it is able to revengekill that threat as well. I think Gengar is getting better in my eyes and should be explored more.
:tapu lele: We're all familiar with it, Tapu Lele with its Choice Scarf set is able to revengekill a plethora of Pokemon too, putting it above Weavile and eliminating the Priority Ice Shard on grounded Pokemon is pretty valuable also for Tapu Lele itself. I like it as a Speed control and as a way to revengekill threats and it can even utilize Future Sight in this set to get some progress going.
:kartana: Is a great Speed control with Knock Off and its good Attack stat of 181 and the metagame shifted more to Pokemon being specially defensive means it can get stuff going with its Choice Scarf set. Great STABs in Leaf Blade and Smart Strike alongside coverage in Sacred Sword makes Kartana a threat to account in for, as it is able to tear holes in teams when they're severely weakened with its STAB Leaf Blade or Smart Strike.

Choice Band:
:zapdos galar: Galarian Zapdos is a great wallbreaker and can work well with Blacephalon as a secondary wallbreaker with their respective sets in Choice Band and Choice Specs. Galarian zapdos gains attraction currently and is a great way of abusing the many Defoggers to get a Defiant boost, mostly Corviknight and Landorus-T are Pokemon, Galarian Zapdos can take advantage of due to Defog or Intimidate. After a Defiant boost it can get of massive damage with either Brave Bird or Close Combat. The only disadvantage it has is it gets eaily worn down by Brave Bird, but with Wish / Healing Wish it can easily get another life and tears holes into the opposition again.
:buzzwole: Choice Band Buzzwole is not a bad set, utilized well by Lord Enz vs Finchinator game in SCL it can definitely put out some work for its team. Without further addo lets dive into the replay and how well Lord Enz utilized Buzzwole: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-588235 tho I think Lord Enz should have preserved Buzzwole for Finchinators Urshifu at the very end. But Buzzwole was really devestating in the early part of the game. Was an intense game to watch.
:tyranitar: Choice Band Tyranitar should definitely be tried out. It has the STAB combination of Crunch / Stone Edge and coverage in form of Heavy Slam to hit Clefable, Earthquake to hit Heatran, Fire Punch for Steel-types and even Ice Punch to lure in Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Garchomp as well as Hippowdon. I think CB Tyranitar can see a slight surge in usage again due to how good its STAB and coverage options are.

Choice Specs:
:blacephalon: Its a plane? No! Its a clown? Yes! But a devestating one, Blacephalon. This Pokemon gets things going easily. STAB Overheat and STAB Shadow Ball go hand in hand and with teammates such as the aforementioned Galarian zapdos it can work well and they can easily overwhelm checks. Both however need good entry hazard control which is easily given by Pokemon like Landorus-T, Corviknight, or Tornadus-T. Blacephalon can also work well with hazard stack to break down specially defensive Heatran further and to help out with necessary 2HKOes or OHKOes. Give Specs Blace a try, you won't regret it.
:magnezone: Magnezone is also a Pokemon which can utilize Choice Specs sets well. With Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Flash Cannon and a filler option it can work well and help teammates like Melmetal, Urshifu-R, Weavile, and Kyurem to get rid off Corviknight. Rising Voltage with Tapu Koko is also pretty fun to try out as a Specs boosted Rising Voltage in Electric Terrain is a very terrifying move to switch into, when you aren't a Ground-type of any sort. Tapu Koko and Magnezone can also easily overwhelm Landorus-T together.
:heatran: The sun is up so let's party. Wether its Choice Scarf or Choice Specs Heatrans Eruption especially in the sun is a devestating tool, as long as there arent ways to scout its moves or you have no sturdy Fire-resist or even better a complete immune with your own Heatran to switch into. Heatran can also make use of a secondary Fire-type STAB move when it finds itself low on HP. Coverage like Flash Cannon and Dragon Pulse are valuable too, the former is its STAB and hits really hard and the secondary can actually lure in Dragon-types like Garchomp, Hydreigon, and Dragonite, dealing massive damage on them. Try it out everyone!

Thanks for reading and I hope y'all have a great day and you will try out those Pokemon in the near future, I think it's worth it to look into them and play games with them. :blobwizard:

Adding to that viable Choice users for weather play styles:

Scarf: Blacephalon (sun), Lando-T (sun), Darm (sun)

Band: Victini (sun), Crawdaunt (rain), Scizor (rain), Urshifu-R (rain), Kartana (rain), Excadrill (gravity + sand)

Specs: Heatran (sun), Volcanion (hail, rain), Seismitoad (rain), Kingdra (rain),
i'd add scarf kartana for sun as well, mainly just for these calcs

252 Atk Kartana Solar Blade vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 412-486 (115.4 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 297-351 (83.1 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Kartana Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 333-393 (118.5 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 240-283 (85.4 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora: 333-393 (105 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora: 240-283 (75.7 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Solar Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 165-195 (52 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 119-141 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

the power difference is quite noticeable and in an offensive archetype like sun it's very nice to have such power. like pult can't switch into a predicted grass stab anymore because it's easily 2hkod.
it also partners well with venusaur (especially no growth, 4 attacks) which removes pretty much every steel type, for a dodgy grass spam core.

edit: it also guarantees an ohko vs weavile which leaf blade doesnt. sacred sword is a thing, but easing prediction is underrated

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
:gengar: Gengar utilizes Choice Scarf pretty well and is able to revengekill a plethora of threats with its Ghost / Poison STAB combination. It can make use of Trick and coverage like Focus Blast and Thunderbolt or Nasty Plot to boost itself after it tricked the item to Pokemon it can abuse well such as Blissey, which is greatly appreciated. Gengars Speed tier still leaves it behind Weavile, Dragapult, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Koko when it isn't choiced anymore but its Speed tier still puts it above Pokemon such as Kartana and with its Choice Scarf it outruns threats such as Arctozolt in Hail which is pretty valuable, so it is able to revengekill that threat as well. I think Gengar is getting better in my eyes and should be explored more.
Agreed with everything you said and shamelessly plugging in my (probably not mine but whatever) Scarf DBond Gengar here. Gengar is often not strong enough to OHKO some threats you mentioned (or you dont want to shoot a focus blast lol) so DBond is kinda like a surprise safely net that can remove mons like +1 Chomp and Arctozolt in an emergency or just remove something your team doesnt like. definately agree with scarf gengar (and gengar in general) having lots of potential as a whole, nice post :)

I've been watching a bunch of OU SCL matchs this morning. It saddens me to say so but I've got the distinct feeling Weavile keeps being a burden more than an asset. Out of all the weeks 1-3 games there's only been a couple where it pulls its weight, and a lot more where its limited defensive power and its inability to get past Toxapex, Corviknight, Buzzwole, Clefable, Tapu Fini, etc. mean it ends up fairly useless. Hell, now that the Colbur Slowbro set is more common, Weavile is actually forced out by Slowbro, instead of the other way around!

I'm not quite sure what resources Weavile has to reinvent itself... I've been keeping seeing the HDB set. Only once, there was a Poison Jab instead of one of the regular moves.

I've been watching a bunch of OU SCL matchs this morning. It saddens me to say so but I've got the distinct feeling Weavile keeps being a burden more than an asset. Out of all the weeks 1-3 games there's only been a couple where it pulls its weight, and a lot more where its limited defensive power and its inability to get past Toxapex, Corviknight, Buzzwole, Clefable, Tapu Fini, etc. mean it ends up fairly useless. Hell, now that the Colbur Slowbro set is more common, Weavile is actually forced out by Slowbro, instead of the other way around!

I'm not quite sure what resources Weavile has to reinvent itself... I've been keeping seeing the HDB set. Only once, there was a Poison Jab instead of one of the regular moves.
First things that come to mind are regular SD with chople berry or pjab SD with roseli berry. just accept you ain't breaking through pex and buzz without team support or significant chip anyway.

40 Def EVs + chople berry makes you live body presses from slowbro and from standard Defog corvi, the latter after one round of rocky helmet. you can win 1v1s this way. The remaining are 244 atk / 224 speed jolly to always outspeed tornadus-t. Otherwise have it adamant but leave it 252 speed for Kartana.

As for roseli berry, it should be used with poison jab and it's aimed at clef and fini + might be useful for other fairies. idk if we need EVs (probably not), but we arguably need adamant if we keep shard and jolly if we keep axel because of tornadus-t once again.

Weavile doesn't have many good moves so the next best thing to experiment is items. These two are just brash ideas

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Interesting ideas... with Chople berry, you could even use Pickpocket, so that you use SD while eating the Body Press, thus stealing the Colbur berry in the process !
This idea is a cool in theory but it isn't worth it (I just tested it). Weavile takes near 90 after Chople and you dont have boots so you would need to have hazards completely off at all times. You don't even kill Slowbro without it being at around 75 in the first place. Just run another item or play better.

Interesting ideas... with Chople berry, you could even use Pickpocket, so that you use SD while eating the Body Press, thus stealing the Colbur berry in the process !
My brain just exploded lmao didn't even think about that. you also steal rocky helmet from corvi if you need to setup on it. Veeeeeeeery fringe anyway.
Sucks that chople won't make a difference in any other scenarios but whatever, we don't talk about that

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
First things that come to mind are regular SD with chople berry or pjab SD with roseli berry. just accept you ain't breaking through pex and buzz without team support or significant chip anyway.

40 Def EVs + chople berry makes you live body presses from slowbro and from standard Defog corvi, the latter after one round of rocky helmet. you can win 1v1s this way. The remaining are 244 atk / 224 speed jolly to always outspeed tornadus-t. Otherwise have it adamant but leave it 252 speed for Kartana.

As for roseli berry, it should be used with poison jab and it's aimed at clef and fini + might be useful for other fairies. idk if we need EVs (probably not), but we arguably need adamant if we keep shard and jolly if we keep axel because of tornadus-t once again.

Weavile doesn't have many good moves so the next best thing to experiment is items. These two are just brash ideas
Personally, I don't think this too good of an idea. The problem is, Weavile isn't Garchomp who can just mindlessly ditch its 'default' item. If you ditch the boots, then you really have to be prepared for stealth rock otherwise it will just eat you alive. I know defog is very easy to use but I'm not too sure clicking defog at every opening is something you want to do

I also don't think roseli should be used over boots. Both Clef and Fini's uninvested moonblasts only clocks in at ninety four percent which means if you don't take chip damage, you can just eat the moonblast and kill them poison jab. If on the other hand they're the ones that get chipped, then poison jab straight up kills

Yeah too bad Weavile dies to any other Fighting attack anyway. That's a fair point Red Raven, this might work paired with a dude like Xatu, which is very efficient at keeping the rocks away and also provides a slow teleport to bring Weavile in free of chip damage.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Take a look here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-584837 (beatiful vs LordEnz)
In this week 5 replay, beatiful uses a Band Weavile to great effect (aided by the fact he repeatedly makes excellent predictions). With the help of Future Sight, Weavile manages to OHKO Corviknight with Triple Axel. This is quite the impressive feat, and so early in the game there were no rocks out and Weavile hadn't attacked before, so LordEnz had no reason to suspect Choice Band. Weavile then pressures (haha, got it ?) Substitute Kyurem by being able to break its sub and deal meaningful damage with Triple Axel, and generally dishes out a lot more chip than the standard set does.
Pairing such a Weavile with Future Sight support seems a really great plan. Even Tapu Fini can't stomach a banded Triple Axel+Future Sight too many times, let alone Toxapex... hmm that might be more viable than the Chople berry plan (though less amusing).

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think this too good of an idea. The problem is, Weavile isn't Garchomp who can just mindlessly ditch its 'default' item. If you ditch the boots, then you really have to be prepared for stealth rock otherwise it will just eat you alive. I know defog is very easy to use but I'm not too sure clicking defog at every opening is something you want to do

I also don't think roseli should be used over boots. Both Clef and Fini's uninvested moonblasts only clocks in at ninety four percent which means if you don't take chip damage, you can just eat the moonblast and kill them poison jab. If on the other hand they're the ones that get chipped, then poison jab straight up kills
yeah I love my whacky stuff but as I said those were just immediate thoughts I had, not backed up by much, although I like the reception they had. both are flawed anyway. I feel like sd pjab has the most chances of actually doing something different.
I feel like the meta as a whole has adapted quite well to boots weavile, so we are more inclined to consider dropping them and, at that point, hazard control becomes a must even with serious items and not roseli/chople. weavile isn't built like kyurem but i'm sure you can make it work even without boots.

Yeah too bad Weavile dies to any other Fighting attack anyway. That's a fair point Red Raven, this might work paired with a dude like Xatu, which is very efficient at keeping the rocks away and also provides a slow teleport to bring Weavile in free of chip damage.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-584837 (beatiful vs LordEnz)
In this week 5 replay, beatiful uses a Band Weavile to great effect (aided by the fact he repeatedly makes excellent predictions). With the help of Future Sight, Weavile manages to OHKO Corviknight with Triple Axel. This is quite the impressive feat, and so early in the game there were no rocks out and Weavile hadn't attacked before, so LordEnz had no reason to suspect Choice Band. Weavile then pressures (haha, got it ?) Substitute Kyurem by being able to break its sub and deal meaningful damage with Triple Axel, and generally dishes out a lot more chip than the standard set does.
Pairing such a Weavile with Future Sight support seems a really great plan. Even Tapu Fini can't stomach a banded Triple Axel+Future Sight too many times, let alone Toxapex... hmm that might be more viable than the Chople berry plan (though less amusing).
yeah choice band + future sight is boring but effective. needs a ton of support for hazard removal but i feel like xatu isnt tragic, it does have heat wave, teleport/uturn, thunder wave and roost, although that psychic typing really stinks. if you're using fsight weavile you need lots of pivots so having double defog seems even more legit on these types of build. future sight is your entry hazard anyway.

I gotta say I've been having a lot of success on Hyper Offense using Miracle Seed Rillaboom
:ss/Rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
1635462900476.png

The Immediate burst in power allows it to deal massive amounts of damage to break opponents such as Unaware Clef, Toxapex, Tornadus, and enables it to deal a hefty chunk to Landorus trying to U-Turn on a predicted swords Dance, easily opening up dangerous team-mates when Landorus tries to U-Turn for momentum.

-1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 237-279 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 183-216 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 376-444 (98.4 - 116.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
In comparision
+1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 220-259 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

This is all made possible by Wood Hammer reaching a staggering 187 base power in terrain with Miracle Seed, enabling it to be stronger than both Double Iron Bash and Victini's V-Create without Life Orb Recoil.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Grassy Terrain: 325-384 (95.3 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 246-289 (72.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 278-330 (81.5 - 96.7%) -- approx. 2HKO

It is also a very good partner with Kart, as Kart is able to knock off torn and make it vulnerable to stealth rocks, which enables Rillaboom to deal massive damage with this combination of moves.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 176-207 (48.6 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Roc

So Rillaboom can click Grassy Glide and pick up the KO, and even if Torn switches out, they'd leave without defogging, putting them in range of Kartana.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 102-121 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

Perhaps but if you use band Weavile, you are also in the same boat as when you use stuff like specs Kyurem or Blacephalon. You need to make godlike predictions and let's not forget that the Weavile didn't have to deal with rocks whereas in an average game, it will have to deal with rocks if it has no boots. Band Weavile has been a thing for several generations now afik but the point still stands that you need godlike predictions and if you don't, you need heavy hazard removal. Having said that, it's definitely not a bad idea but I think boots sd is just less taxing to use

yeah I love my whacky stuff but as I said those were just immediate thoughts I had, not backed up by much, although I like the reception they had. both are flawed anyway. I feel like sd pjab has the most chances of actually doing something different.
I feel like the meta as a whole has adapted quite well to boots weavile, so we are more inclined to consider dropping them and, at that point, hazard control becomes a must even with serious items and not roseli/chople. weavile isn't built like kyurem but i'm sure you can make it work even without boots.
Don't we all like whacky stuff. I can agree with you. In fact I'm one of the few who always thought of Weavile as pretty meh as it can get walled by Toxapex fairly easily. Now that you mention non boots Weavile, maybe black glasses can work ala Bisharp. I mean

+2 252 Atk Black Glasses Weavile Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Toxapex: 138-163 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Black Glasses Weavile Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 180-213 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I'm just considering that Pex would want some spdef to deal with Dragapult and I think that's the amount of defense it uses. Although having said this, if Weavile does use an item that isn't boots, it shouldn't be any damage berry. Garchomp can pull that trick off very effectively because it has the stats to actually takes the super effective hits. Weavile does not and it is weak to stealth rock unlike Garchomp. I think Weavile should just instead focus on stuff like the black glasses from earlier and maybe life orb or nmi

Choice Scarf, Choice Band, Choice Specs. Good Pokemon with these respective items in SS OU.
Choice Scarf:
:tapu lele: We're all familiar with it, Tapu Lele with its Choice Scarf set is able to revengekill a plethora of Pokemon too, putting it above Weavile and eliminating the Priority Ice Shard on grounded Pokemon is pretty valuable also for Tapu Lele itself. I like it as a Speed control and as a way to revengekill threats and it can even utilize Future Sight in this set to get some progress going.
:kartana: Is a great Speed control with Knock Off and its good Attack stat of 181 and the metagame shifted more to Pokemon being specially defensive means it can get stuff going with its Choice Scarf set. Great STABs in Leaf Blade and Smart Strike alongside coverage in Sacred Sword makes Kartana a threat to account in for, as it is able to tear holes in teams when they're severely weakened with its STAB Leaf Blade or Smart Strike.
Something I forgot to mention when this post was made. Another scarfer I always enjoyed but only used sparingly is scarf
. Why scarf Chomp?Well, it has a couple unique qualities and it's hella fun to use. Gengar is not that common rn so when compared to Lele and Kartana, what do they all have in common? They absolutely despise metal birbs. That's where Garchomp has a bit of an edge as while the three of them are walled by metal birbs, Lele and Kartana are walled by every steel type in existence, Garchomp is not. Another thing Chomp has is that it can also has choices for its other two moves. Dragon claw allows you to safely assassinate Dragapult, stone edge destroys Volcarona and annoys Tornadus, which if its not aware Garchomp is scarfed then it just dies, iron head limits Ninetales' options and hail turns. Most importantly though is that scarf Chomp outspeeds scarf Lele which is the biggest reason I used this again after several months because scarf Lele is just that annoying. Although having a speed control option that loses to Weavile isn't too ideal, Weavile isn't exactly the hardest thing to deal with. Having said that, scarf Chomp isn't exactly the best thing since using roseli berry to deal with Lele is far more effective than outspeeding it but I do enjoy just clicking outrage because even on showdown, outrage has a cool animation

With all of this, I think Kartana is the best scarfer in the tier rn. If you don't quad resist that leaf blade, then it's gonna take half your life. This thing is just ridiculous to use and incredibly threatening since there aren't many priority moves capable of one shotting it and you're not gonna use scarf Dragapult since Spectrier isn't around anymore

or if you’re gonna accept that certain matchups will be lost, and forfeit the advantages of HDB..

you can go icicle crash + life orb.

with a life orb Weavile edges past certain threats a little faster, and can also be a mid game cleaner/breaker rather than only a game ending sweeper. You do lose the switch in/out utility of HDB of course. So you’ll find most matches Weavile is forced to break for its teammates.

A 27% chance to break through certain checks like clefable, Ferrothorn and a healthy skarmory is also quite handy, if you’re forced to act as a breaker. If that flinch kicks in, then usually that opens up the end game and Weavile can pull down something else with it.

the +2 LO ice shard also has a better matchup vs revenging Koko and weakened urshifu/bisharp.

+2 LO knock off is a clean KO on almost everything slower that doesn’t resist it. Icicle crash hits most other relevant threats that do. Corviknight is very easy to chip into KO range. Fringe threats like heatran, bulkarona, and swampert don’t even need to be weakened for the clean KO. If you’re feeling saucy, run adamant for max power, tho I still prefer jolly in the current meta.

Triple axel is not too useful with life orb, since the relevant Weavile switchins might wear it out too much, or the 28% chance to not do your full damage is worse than the 27% chance to break past an otherwise great check. The most notable threat that you’d want triple axel over icicle crash on is clefable. However you need to predict the switch in and hit 2x rounds of full damage axel. There’s about a 50% chance of 2x full rounds of axel.

I gotta say I've been having a lot of success on Hyper Offense using Miracle Seed Rillaboom
:ss/Rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
View attachment 380919

The Immediate burst in power allows it to deal massive amounts of damage to break opponents such as Unaware Clef, Toxapex, Tornadus, and enables it to deal a hefty chunk to Landorus trying to U-Turn on a predicted swords Dance, easily opening up dangerous team-mates when Landorus tries to U-Turn for momentum.

-1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 237-279 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 183-216 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 376-444 (98.4 - 116.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
In comparision
+1 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 220-259 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

This is all made possible by Wood Hammer reaching a staggering 187 base power in terrain with Miracle Seed, enabling it to be stronger than both Double Iron Bash and Victini's V-Create without Life Orb Recoil.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Grassy Terrain: 325-384 (95.3 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 246-289 (72.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 278-330 (81.5 - 96.7%) -- approx. 2HKO

It is also a very good partner with Kart, as Kart is able to knock off torn and make it vulnerable to stealth rocks, which enables Rillaboom to deal massive damage with this combination of moves.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 176-207 (48.6 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Roc

So Rillaboom can click Grassy Glide and pick up the KO, and even if Torn switches out, they'd leave without defogging, putting them in range of Kartana.

252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 102-121 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO
i really think that miracle seed Rillaboom should be the standard set.

a lot of teams are really weak to Rillaboom, here’s an example in the 2000 ELO range

the main flex option is the choice between drain punch / knock off / superpower. Even the nature will always be adamant due to the current metagame threat list.

here’s a quick rundown of what each is good against:

Drain Punch - :Kartana: :Ferrothorn: :bisharp: and :tangrowth: lacking sludge bomb. It’s also the best move to punish experienced players who switch around trying to waste grassy terrain turns. Overall this is best for sweeping

Knock off - :aegislash: :dragonite: :Volcarona: and this is generally the best move to use if you’re planning to have utility before an SD. Such as against a healthy :tornadus-therian: :buzzwole: or :zapdos: . Overall this is best for utility

Super power - :Melmetal::skarmory: and :corviknight: . Tho after the stat drops you’ll rarely be able to continue a sweep. So expect to be forced out after you KO them. This also REALLY sucks if it gets predicted and the opponent switches in something else. Tho the KO is very handy if you plan on using rilla as a breaker. Overall this is best for metal birds and immediate firepower.

to beat the main threats:

:buzzwole: buzzwole will never lose to Rillaboom unless you’re packing itemless acrobatics. So carry 1-2 buzzwole switchins

:Volcarona: once again it will never lose to Rillaboom unless you knock off on the switch and then-subsequently force it out with your switch in.

:dragonite: yes, it’ll never lose to Rillaboom, so pack a switch in

:zapdos: zapdos can actually lose to Rillaboom if you have knock off support and a way to pressure it into sub 50% after it comes in on rocks.

:tornadus-therian: will only lose to Rillaboom with paralysis or knock off support. If you get knock off support, you then need to correctly predict a wood hammer on a switch in, followed by grassy glide

:corviknight: :skarmory: :Melmetal: pack a switch in and try to wear them down.

life orb + SD is a more powerful tool against pure offensive teams, however falls flat against so many fringe things, and struggles to clean end game against the current popular terrain changers so it loses its ability to bust holes into teams.

The biggest threat to a sweeper/breaker Rillaboom is Tapu Lele, as everything that is a defensive check can be worn down, but lele needs to be straight KOd if you want to break through more than 1 threat. There is no such thing as counterplay against a well played lele, since every experienced player will try and preserve it as long as possible in a rilla matchup.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Before this era of the generation ends, let us speak of a pokemon i've been using lately.

Do You Hate Blacephalon? Trick Question, Yes You Do.
1635462086389.png

Unless you're using one of the people who use the dark type psuedos, or some cockamamy mixed Toxapex, Blacephalon is usually gonna be a giant jackass to fight. Especially because, if Dragapult hasn't gotten your attention by now, Ghost-Type Attacks are where it's at. Especially since this pokemon is stronger. So, what exactly does this post lead to? I'm glad that you DIDN'T ASK, my friend, because I was going to answer regardless!

Behold! THE CLANGER!!!
1635477686983.png

That's right people! You know what's a hundred times better than being resistant to Shadow Balls? Being Immune! Other than the relatively passive Blissey, Kommo-o is one of the few viable pokemon that outright takes NOTHING from a Shadow Ball! It also happens to resist Fire STAB, so unless you're bringing some junk like Expanding Force or Psyshock, this is one tough..uh...dragon for the clown to crack. Better yet, it also happens to keep Kartana in check relatively well, stomaching it's powerful Leaf Blade!

Now, I know what you're thinking. Dragon-Fighting? in MY Tapu metagame?! Unacceptable! And lo, no recovery? How is it to be a defensive stop, if all blacephalon has to do is click Overheat and switch out? Well, rest assured, I've built a team that can cover these weaknesses! And for that, I must show my experience with such a team!

:ss/kommo-o: :ss/slowking-galar: :ss/tapu fini: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/victini: :ss/kartana:

So let's talk about the team here for a sec.

Kommo-o is the main member of this team, for its ability to fend off Blacephalon with relative ease, as well as other Pokemon such as Kartana and Melmetal. It also serves as the team's Stealth Rocker, which proves beneficial for the team for reasons you'll see later.
Galarian Slowking was a near obvious partner for Kommo-o, as not only did it completely crush Fairies like Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini, it also provides a neat special wall that can even pivot in on Blacephalon's Fire STAB so Kommo-o doesn't get too overwhelmed. It also provides Future Sight Support for the offensive pokemon that I use on this team, which makes breaking a citch. Tapu Fini and Landorus-T are near universal staples these days, but we can still talk about them. Tapu Fini is of course my Weavile check and the main way to keep Dragapult from click Meteor several times. Scarf lets it basically do a whole lot of things, like revenge kill Urshifu-R and the aforementioned Weavile and Dragapult. Landorus-T is of course our electric immunity to prevent pivoting from the likes of Regieleki and Zapdos, and Intimidate support never hurts. It gets to run physically defensive on this set due to Kommo-o checking Heatran and Glowking checking Tapu Koko. Since Kommo-o is running rocks, both it and Fini can run defog, which can ease the pressure for our next pokemon. Victini is our primary wallbreaker due to the ludicrous power of Choice Band, aided by double defog support from Fini and Lando. It also provides a neat Lele answer, since Slowking obviously gets ripped to shreds by Psyshock. Finally, Swords Dance Kartana, the bonified sweeper of this team. Blazing fast, which is nice for Garchomp and Lele, it gets to click buttons with relative ease on this team, and serves as a wincon if the team's speed control is lacking.

1635468699617.png1635468735677.png1635468769653.png1635468806200.png1635468832047.png1635468846838.png
click sprites for pokepaste!!

Attachments

Last edited:
i really think that miracle seed Rillaboom should be the standard set.

a lot of teams are really weak to Rillaboom, here’s an example in the 2000 ELO range

the main flex option is the choice between drain punch / knock off / superpower. Even the nature will always be adamant due to the current metagame threat list.

here’s a quick rundown of what each is good against:

Drain Punch - :Kartana: :Ferrothorn: :bisharp: and :tangrowth: lacking sludge bomb. It’s also the best move to punish experienced players who switch around trying to waste grassy terrain turns. Overall this is best for sweeping

Knock off - :aegislash: :dragonite: :Volcarona: and this is generally the best move to use if you’re planning to have utility before an SD. Such as against a healthy :tornadus-therian: :buzzwole: or :zapdos: . Overall this is best for utility

Super power - :skarmory: and :corviknight: . Tho after the stat drops you’ll rarely be able to continue a sweep. So expect to be forced out after you KO them. This also REALLY sucks if it gets predicted and the opponent switches in something else. Tho the KO is very handy if you plan on using rilla as a breaker. Overall this is best for metal birds and immediate firepower.

to beat the main threats:

:buzzwole: buzzwole will never lose to Rillaboom unless you’re packing itemless acrobatics. So carry 1-2 buzzwole switchins

:Volcarona: once again it will never lose to Rillaboom unless you knock off on the switch and then-subsequently force it out with your switch in.

:dragonite: yes, it’ll never lose to Rillaboom, so pack a switch in

:zapdos: zapdos can actually lose to Rillaboom if you have knock off support and a way to pressure it into sub 50% after it comes in on rocks.

:tornadus-therian: will only lose to Rillaboom with paralysis or knock off support. If you get knock off support, you then need to correctly predict a wood hammer on a switch in, followed by grassy glide

:corviknight: :skarmory: very passive Pokémon, so pack a switch in and try to wear them down.

life orb + SD is a more powerful tool against pure offensive teams, however falls flat against so many fringe things, and struggles to clean end game against the current popular terrain changers so it loses its ability to bust holes into teams.

The biggest threat to a sweeper/breaker Rillaboom is Tapu Lele, as everything that is a defensive check can be worn down, but lele needs to be straight KOd if you want to break through more than 1 threat. There is no such thing as counterplay against a well played lele, since every experienced player will try and preserve it as long as possible in a rilla matchup.
Might be pretty conditional, but Rillaboom can actually defeat offensive Dragonites if they're adamant and chipped, taking it out with a powerful wood hammer from around half health(75% with rocks!) due to the incredible sheer force the move and Rillaboom's bulk enables it to live a rather up and coming Ice Punch+EQ variant in a pinch, same with Zapdos if bold and not running speed for Rillaboom. Buzzwole and Volcarona are definitely hard match ups though.
Goat-Boom.png

+2 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 267-315 (69.7 - 82.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Dragonite in Grassy Terrain: 160-188 (41.5 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Miracle Seed Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragonite in Grassy Terrain: 169-200 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
I want to introduce a potential talking point that I hope will spark some discussion here. Since BDSP is less than a month away, how do you guys think returning Pokemon will influence the metagame? What are your hopes and predictions regarding returning Pokemon and their potential roles?
rsz_2basically_gliscor.png

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
I want to introduce a potential talking point that I hope will spark some discussion here. Since BDSP is less than a month away, how do you guys think returning Pokemon will influence the metagame? What are your hopes and predictions regarding returning Pokemon and their potential roles?View attachment 381227
Hi, I'm going to use this as an opportunity to talk about BDSP and theorymonning:

Don't. We have no clue on if BDSP will have any impact on our existing metagame by introducing new Pokemon/moves, or if it will be self-contained. Once we are more sure on the circumstances of the game, we will be sure to make the implications they have on the forum and our process going forward clear. For the meantime, I would like to ask that we keep discussion away from here.

If you have any further questions, feel free to message me or anybody else on the mod team; thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)