Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't criticize the metagame. They just "lol just play the funny meta til dlc2". This is neither constructive nor critical.

Sorry but with all due respect, this somewhat asinine. The game is pretty wild and we've had lots of things to work through, but the game is not unplayable let alone unsalvageable. You're free to not like tera (I'm not super huge on it myself), but taking this attitude of acting like the community was wrong for voting how they did around it is just not it. Gambit sticking around sucks, but more people have felt regret on not banning it before and it's always possible to look at it again.

Stop the bull.
And you know what? I like how the meta handled Kingam it, even if I feel it was wrong. A vote was taken. Discussion was had. I'm not as sold on King leaving as I once was before I came
  • baxcalibur, likely within a matter of days
  • alolan ninetales and/or light clay
  • manaphy, especially if atales isn't banned first
  • kingambit still. don't be fooled just because everyone is talking about bax now, gambit is still broken
  • probably at least one of the ogerpons, most likely the fire one. y'know, heatfromfire or whatever it's called
  • maybe ursaluna bloodmoon or iron valiant, but these are probably not immediate candidates
That heatfireshit got me good in my sides wish I could like and laugh a comment.

That said, I needed this optimism. Hearing that it's up to the community to axe Bax has me anxious.

Kingambit (if we lived in a just world he would be dead)
i do have to say, it's pretty funny how the first verse of "a farewell to kings" is a perfect description of our collective regret over the failed gambit suspect
That heatfireshit got me good in my sides wish I could like and laugh a comment.
i'm just going to keep corrupting its name more and more on purpose. by next week i'll be calling it, like, firestonetires or heartattack or something

Okay, just so we're all on the same page, can someone recap the serious candidates for being banished to Ubers, as it currently stands?
Bax: lots of people already wanted him gone because guess what Kyurem-Black with SD is really good, especially when you can just decide to not be weak to your counters because haha Tera funny. If he doesn't get banned it'll be because Dirge rises back to OU, and every team just has to have an Unaware mon not named Clef now.

Manaphy: I could see it but dude gets 2HKO'd by half the grass moves and OHKO'd by the rest and basically every T-bolt, and we just got 4 new grass legendaries so. Also max invested dude caps at 328 speed which is a joke to revenge. Not only do you have to Tera to live basically any special super effective hit, you still take like 40% and your scald isn't OHKO'ing anything with a resist, and probably not a lot of neutral either. Clown ban if it happens.

Ogerpon-Hearth: Dude autobeats stall but Hoopa-Unbound is UU and he also does that. Gets turbo walled by defensive Dragons if it doesn't have play rough, and if it does it gives up Knock. Dude has 80/84/96 bulk, and if it runs Horn Leech it gets clowned by anything offensive it doesn't OHKO. Clown ban but I can see it because it gets U-turn and has moves to 2HKO basically everything except Clef if it's not the SD set.

Alolan-Ninetales: Lol, lmao, even. Shit is fine, it's like a slightly better Support Pult, but it can't even Curse to get itself out so it either has to let itself die after firing off a 9% freeze dry or you have to hard switch and waste a turn. Shit is mid as fuck and lets Heatran come in for free which nukes literally every setup mon that could come in if they don't hard switch unless they want to risk the Hypnosis and another turn of Veil. It would be the whole damn circus if this shit got banned.

Gambito: Hilariously worse than pre-DLC, to the point I actually don't think I'd ban it. Conk, Manaphy, the rise of Dozo on non-stall, Gliscor, Kommo-o, Okidogi, plus every single Ogerpon can deal with it, either with Cudgel if Hearth or Superpower if not. I wouldn't be surprised at a ban but honestly I don't think it's needed at this point.

Ursaluna-BM: This shit is going in UU right next the actual Luna, just revenge kill its slow ass after chipping it with whatever you have in.

We should do something about Tera before we have to do yet another Gambit suspect, especially since they added a whole bunch of new threats to Gambit, including about a million vacuum wave users.

Peum

formerly Mandibuladel5555
Let's move on to something else
How is View attachment 552254faring in the meta? Sun seems like a decent anti-meta pick (in my head, at least, I'm low ladder for a reason), especially with Hearthflame Ogerpon running around everywhere (sorry if the pic is too big idk where to find the neat little pics of the pokemon lol)
It works good for me, it mostly removes snow from Ninetales Alola and its a bulky mon overall, with Specs you can just in on Iron Valiant, click Flamethrower and kill something, it also combines well with Great Tusk and Hearthflame Ogerpon.

Lily

there's a place I wanna take you
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
hallo, council's been at work deciding what action should be taken on the tier if any- this post does not represent the full council in any way though! I just want to mention what I think needs to be deal with right now.

:sv/baxcalibur: - I don't think this one's very controversial. Scale Shot is an enormous buff even when Bax doesn't click it because the raw threat of letting it boost Speed means you have to play risky games with your Fairy super often (assuming you even have one), and its bulk esp under veil is just dumb. 0/0 Bax under Veil in Snow - not at all unrealistic considering Ninetales's usage - has comparable physical bulk to max spdef Blissey's special bulk, so it's essentially unbreakable on that side... with Ice Body in the mix it's actually heinous levels of bulky, having a roll to live **three!** CCs from Great Tusk. Absolutely needs a QB imo.

:sv/manaphy: - seen a lot of talk about this, I don't necessarily think it has to go just yet. It is immensely threatening and is part of what makes Veil as good as it is but I think losing its best buddy in Bax would be a large hit and stuff like Ogerpon is trending up which does weaken Manaphy overall. I would like this one to be kept under close watch but it's /fine/ for now.

:sv/ursaluna-bloodmoon: - just an incredibly silly mon but held back by the fact that weather is everywhere so moonlight is tough to use. I think this will be broken once ninetales dies down; not much reason to act on it right now though

:sv/ogerpon-hearthflame: - i think this one's totally fine, it is mega lethal but it's held back rly hard by sr weakness, only okay speed, tera/item lock etc - even with the hearthflame mask being discovered to give a 1.2x boost to everything it still really misses potential boots. i think once the meta settles down a little bit it's going to just be a good mon, very threatening and efficient at shredding balance cores once it's on the field but getting it on the field will be another story i think

:light clay: / :ninetales-alola: - i think these are both in the same boat of "should definitely not be banned", at least until we explore our options. ninetales is generally a pretty bad pokemon, and sv is no different even with the snow buff. the 2 screens in 1 turn thing is hurt quite hard by its inability to generate safe turns for its teammates the way other screens like dragapult (curse) or grimmsnarl (parting shot) do. with that said it enables bax to a ludicrous degree and as such is easily the best screener rn - if bax is gone and the ice types it supports are more along the lines of frosmoth/alolan sandslash i think it will be a lot worse. light clay similarly has proven itself to not be broken before and will do so again once the screens popularity dies a bit, which it inevitably will.

nothing else jumps out to me as silly rn other than kingambit which was already tested. i think the meta is really fun rn and encourage everyone to keep posting their thoughts and revelling in the chaos :D

We should do something about Tera before we have to do yet another Gambit suspect, especially since they added a whole bunch of new threats to Gambit, including about a million vacuum wave users.
There are, like, 2 relevant vacuum wave users in valiant and Ursaluna I think? That's not much.

I think the dark-types like Tyranitar, Weavile, etc getting Knock while Gambit got squat is more impactful. They give gambit competition, resist its sucker and can revenge killer it. Even the slowest one, Ttar, can be EV'd to outspeed the fastest Gambit and revenge kill it with Low Kick. I think Gambit will have a harder time in this meta if Roaring moon, Tyranitar, and friends start seeing higher usage.

Gholdengo has to run air balloon to not get folded by back and scizor isn't really that great beyond these match ups. Calling it "increasingly a match up fish" because people are overprepped for it due to how strong the style is. You're really underselling how strong veil teams are, especially as they're backed by especially strong mons like Manaphy and KommoO.
Gholdengo having to run its most viable item isn't really a punishment, and we'll see if it's undue preparation, but the strategy's basic counterplay (hazards, knock off, encore, offensive steels) tend to be things most teams carry anyway. There's also the fact that although unaware is less popular than it was that any unaware Pokémon completely invalidates all setup which is the bread and butter of screens teams - Espathra argument (it can break unawares with stored power) doesn't apply here either because stored power Manaphy really has a hard time with its lack of ability to increase speed and with getting actual power from stored power without take heart, which takes 2.5x as many turns to get the offensive power it gets from tail glow

Webs has felt pretty good to use recently. Ribombee is just an infinitely better webs setter than the likes of Masquerain and Spidops with its great speed tier, and as a whole just makes the archetype click a little better than it used to.

Even without Veil, Bax is doing work with webs, and I think it goes without saying that Hoopa-U can absolutely shred when webs are up. A surprisingly great beneficiary is NP Gholdengo, not only because it aids amazingly in spinblocking, but also because webs really compliment its speed tier.

It can still be a pretty gimmicky strategy, and flying types like Enamorus and Zapdos have tended to stop it in this tracks, but Webs feel like they're in a better place than pre-DLC1.

They didn't criticize the metagame. They just "lol just play the funny meta til dlc2". This is neither constructive nor critical.
They have criticized the metagame plenty in the past. Their arguments have been heard many, many, many times, and their positions known. Do they need to spell it out every time what their exact criticisms are, over and over and over, leaving the thread repeating the same few topics?

Sorry but with all due respect, this somewhat asinine. The game is pretty wild and we've had lots of things to work through, but the game is not unplayable let alone unsalvageable. You're free to not like tera (I'm not super huge on it myself), but taking this attitude of acting like the community was wrong for voting how they did around it is just not it. Gambit sticking around sucks, but more people have felt regret on not banning it before and it's always possible to look at it again.
No one said the game was unplayable. It is unsalvagable, so long as the community refuses to actually address the issues in the metagame, which it has shown recently to be completely incapable of, even with blatantly broken mons such as Kingambit. The mon's on 60% of teams as an offensive win condition- that's objectively unhealthy, no matter how you want to try and spin it. With regards to tera, yes, the community was wrong in voting against banning it, and I don't think there's much debate to be had. The pro-tera crowd has never had any real argument for its remaining in the metagame other than, "it's fun, lol" and screaming "skill issue!!! dandori issue!!!!" at anyone who dares to say they're in favor of banning it. And Gambit is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that the council needs to have some way to check the community when the community makes obviously bad decisions- the fact that people didn't put enough thought into their vote and just kneejerked into "do not ban!!!!!!" when they heard there was a suspect test shows there's a serious problem in the community right now, and the council needs to be able to counter that problem. Right now they aren't.

Stop the bull.
You seem to enjoy discounting arguments you don't like, huh? How many suspects have we had? How many have resulted in bans, and how many times did a horde of people come out of the woodwork to whine about the suspect and vote DNB no matter what the suspect is? This generation has been defined by shit like this.

Just commenting on this one to say that I'm not "begging for an item clause."
I'm curious, and I stand by my statement from last year that Stealth Rocks should have been banned five generations ago. But we're not here about that.
Also VGC pre-legendaries is and always will be a better metagame than the past ten years of OU combined.
Kay byyyye~~!!!
You're free to have whatever (bad) opinion you want, but then I ask, why are you even here? Go play VGC (the metagame with objectively uncompetitive aspects such as unrestricted evasion and OHKO moves, I remind you) if you want a hyperoffensive hellscape. That is not what Singles should be.

Bro you are literally arguing to overrule a majority vote. That is bad faith because you assume that everybody who voted made a mistake, but in reality they just voted for the metagame they enjoyed.
Smogon does not, and should not, focus purely around voting what metagame is more "fun". It's about balance. This and the above post are exactly why I believe that the voting reqs need to be changed, because clearly neither of you know or care enough about the metagame to give a shit about its balance.

Question for you guys.

How would you all feel about doing a complex ban of just banning having the move Aurora Veil on a mon with the ability Snow Warning just so it isn't an easy 1 turn Veil setup and instead needs at least 2 turns. That feels like it would be a sufficient enough nerf to Atales without being too drastic.

Question for you guys.

How would you all feel about doing a complex ban of just banning having the move Aurora Veil on a mon with the ability Snow Warning just so it isn't an easy 1 turn Veil setup and instead needs at least 2 turns. That feels like it would be a sufficient enough nerf to Atales without being too drastic.
ADB1133C-A4E8-467F-B59C-1E4A3FB8591D.jpeg

complex bans have no place here. they're arbitrary and make the game less accessible to new users. previous metas have gone so far as to actually mod the game to avoid complex bans, that's how anathema they are to tiering philosophy

Smogon does not, and should not, focus purely around voting what metagame is more "fun". It's about balance. This and the above post are exactly why I believe that the voting reqs need to be changed, because clearly neither of you know or care enough about the metagame to give a shit about its balance.
you know "enjoyed" can mean more than "im only voting because this makes me so hysterical i enter a state of mania" right. you know people can think the stuff you think is broken and stupid is balanced and fine right.

I'm tired of this sore loser attitude that things arent going like YOU want it to so we need to completely change how tiering works to be even more inaccessible, and this insane take that "actually everyone who voted against the things I don't like were all shit players who shouldnt have been allowed to vote and everyone with actual skill agrees with me". You can express your frustrations with a metagame without acting like people you dont agree with are dumb and should be barred from contributing from the metagame. This is not a tier for YOU, its for a community. Cope seethe look at a frog and let the joy of its little face enter your life.

With regards to tera, yes, the community was wrong in voting against banning it, and I don't think there's much debate to be had.
This is the exact kind of bad faith bs I'm talking about. Climbing on some nonexistent high horse and trying to act like your stance is the correct one. Anyone who is pro tera is just wrong. I don't even particularly like the mechanic, but this sort of attitude helps absolutely no one and you're not convincing people otherwise by acting like that.

And Gambit is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that the council needs to have some way to check the community when the community makes obviously bad decisions- the fact that people didn't put enough thought into their vote and just kneejerked into "do not ban!!!!!!" when they heard there was a suspect test shows there's a serious problem in the community right now, and the council needs to be able to counter that problem. Right now they aren't.
Saying the council should effectively be able to undermine a ban vote does nothing but undermines the trust between community and council, and only makes everything worse. Council is respecting the results, and it's always possible to look at it again in the future.

You're free to have whatever (bad) opinion you want, but then I ask, why are you even here? Go play VGC (the metagame with objectively uncompetitive aspects such as unrestricted evasion and OHKO moves, I remind you) if you want a hyperoffensive hellscape. That is not what Singles should be.
knock it off. You're acting like an ass to someone for having an opinion (there's no such thing as a wrong opinion) you disagree with.

This and the above post are exactly why I believe that the voting reqs need to be changed, because clearly neither of you know or care enough about the metagame to give a shit about its balance.
"People who disagree with me don't know what they're talking about!! They shouldn't be able to vote!! >:///"

-you right now.

you know "enjoyed" can mean more than "im only voting because this makes me so hysterical i enter a state of mania" right. you know people can think the stuff you think is broken and stupid is balanced and fine right.

I'm tired of this sore loser attitude that things arent going like YOU want it to so we need to completely change how tiering works to be even more inaccessible, and this insane take that "actually everyone who voted against the things I don't like were all shit players who shouldnt have been allowed to vote and everyone with actual skill agrees with me". You can express your frustrations with a metagame without acting like people you dont agree with are dumb and should be barred from contributing from the metagame. This is not a tier for YOU, its for a community. Cope seethe look at a frog and let the joy of its little face enter your life.
Stop putting words in my mouth. My proposition for changing the voting reqs has always been to focus less on raw performance and more on community contribution and evidence that they've even played the relevant metagame before the suspect. I've said it before, but I'll say it again- as it stands right now, some random asshole who only plays VGC and wants to annoy everyone who plays OU can waltz in during a suspect, use their skill that they've gotten from playing a completely different meta and a sample team to get reqs, and then vote (and potentially be the single vote that changes the results!) completely against the community's best interest. And evidently by some of the people posting here, there's already people doing that, or at least trying.

This is the exact kind of bad faith bs I'm talking about. Climbing on some nonexistent high horse and trying to act like your stance is the correct one. Anyone who is pro tera is just wrong. I don't even particularly like the mechanic, but this sort of attitude helps absolutely no one and you're not convincing people otherwise by acting like that.
You want to talk about bad faith? How about completely ignoring the argument I was making to whine about my "attitude"?

Saying the council should effectively be able to undermine a ban vote does nothing but undermines the trust between community and council, and only makes everything worse. Council is respecting the results, and it's always possible to look at it again in the future.
What's the other option? Let the community run the metagame into the ground until we have another Gen 5 OU on our hands? It's bad either way, and half the community right now would vote DNB against fucking Mega Rayquaza if they could, so who cares what they think? Might as well make the meta as best as they can if half the community's gonna act like petulant children whenever something broken enters the meta.
knock it off. You're acting like an ass to someone for having an opinion (there's no such thing as a wrong opinion) you disagree with.
I'm being an ass? The guy I'm responding to is literally shitting on the past 10 years of OU and whining that OU isn't VGC on the fucking Smogon Forums. If I'm being an ass at all, I'm being far less of one than he is. And sure, there's no such thing as a wrong opinion, that isn't what I said. I said it was a bad opinion, one formed on a fundamentally bad conclusion.

"People who disagree with me don't know what they're talking about!! They shouldn't be able to vote!! >:///"

-you right now.
See above.

Question for you guys.

Complex bans aren't really considered unless the situation really calls for them. Theyre really bad for accessibility and have a history of needing to be reviewed and reworked pretty often (or at least more often than a ban should have). This ban would be pretty messy vs the current options (ban bax, ban atales, ban light clay/veil), most of which can also solve the issue on themselves

Complex bans aren't really considered unless the situation really calls for them. Theyre really bad for accessibility and have a history of needing to be reviewed and reworked pretty often (or at least more often than a ban should have). This ban would be pretty messy vs the current options (ban bax, ban atales, ban light clay/veil), most of which can also solve the issue on themselves
even the complex bans that did get implemented were unnecessary. the baton pass nonsense was eventually just replaced by a ban on the move, the weather + speed ability bans could have easily been solved by just banning the speed abilities, and even the endless battle clause could have been simplified to a leppa berry ban

1LDK

The Stand
is a Top Team Rater
but I'll say it again- as it stands right now, some random asshole who only plays VGC and wants to annoy everyone who plays OU can waltz in during a suspect, use their skill that they've gotten from playing a completely different meta and a sample team to get reqs, and then vote (and potentially be the single vote that changes the results!) completely against the community's best interest. And evidently by some of the people posting here, there's already people doing that, or at least trying.
Just gonna point this out, I have no interest in whatever the fuck you guys on about, but this was semi mentioned in the whole "china vs NatDex reqs" thing, and the consensus is that

Is the guy good enough to not only invest time in reqs, and actually get them?
if the answer is yes, then the guy is proving himself to be skillfull enough to have a voice of vote

voting is not a right, it's a privilege, that you have to earn, so if that guy got reqs cleanly, let him vote
now, if he didnt got reqs, or didnt even tried or got them dirty, then sure, uncage the bear on him, but yeah, just point that out

:roaring-moon: How have you guys been using roaring moon rn, and what do you think of it? The addition of knock seems to breathe a little more life into it, and I know it's probably only gonna be consistent when the whole veils issue is solved, but even then I'm curious ykno

Reqs have never been terribly hard to get, but they are grindy and somewhat luck based. Due to how Pokémon just is, the best players in a meta can just lose games to a bad string of luck out of their control. All raising the bar for reqs would do is turn that grind and luck factor up to eleven, making voting on suspects not feasible for community members that have a life outside of this game. Having the patience/time to grind something hard doesn’t necessarily make you a better or more knowledgeable player.

Question for you guys.

On rare occasions, a complex ban may be justified, but why on earth wouldn't you either ban Ninetails-A or Aurora Veil and be done with it? What is so important to preserve that a complex ban would accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)