Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Also, is there a maximum BP a G-Max move can have?
No Max Moves have a BP of over 150. 150 seems to be reserved for moves whose base power is normally 150 or higher: self-sacrificial moves, Hyper Beam variants, V-Create, Head Smash, Shell Trap, Eruption and Water Spout.

Fighting and Poison moves seem to be capped at 100.

In general, it's like Z-Moves, where there are rough rules but nothing concrete, and each move has its own specific entry for Max Move power.

(By extension, we can assume that Gigantamax moves have the same Base Power as their non-Gigantamax variants.)

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
- Say Pokemon X with Intimidate switches in, and later Pokemon Y with Neutralizing Gas switches in. Y then leaves the field, does X's Intimidate activate again?
If Unnerve has already activated and a mon with Neutralizing Gas switches in, then leaves the field, Unnerve's message does not activate again.
If Intimidate has already activated and a mon with Neutralizing Gas switches in, then leaves the field, Intimidate does not activate again.

EDIT: Seems that I got this wrong somehow the first time around. I'm unsure whether I confused Intimidate with Unnerve or if this is simply a copied line that I edited incorrectly, but DaWoblefet and I have both confirmed that Intimidate can reactivate over and over again every time Neutralizing Gas leaves the field.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's been a lot of rumors flying around about Disguise potentially taking damage when its broken for Mimikyu, has there been any evidence of this? I haven't been able to find any videos of the ghost gym that has Mimikyu since everyone seemed to stream Sword lol

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
If Unnerve has already activated and a mon with Neutralizing Gas switches in, then leaves the field, Unnerve's message does not activate again.
If Intimidate has already activated and a mon with Neutralizing Gas switches in, then leaves the field, Intimidate does not activate again.
Was also confirmed by Anubis that if Neutralizing Gas is out turn 1 and then leaves the field, abilities will trigger. It seems ability start events will only fire once and be delayed by Neutralizing Gas if needed.

Anubis has confirmed Mimicry will change the pokemon's type to the terrain's type (Grassy Terrain -> Grass) and revert back when it ends to its original type.
This is what i have been wondering. Does it change it to a pure grass/fairy/ect, or does only 1 of its types change?

I am wondering how useful this is. I mean, i guess you will always get the bonuses from terrain effects, but if you dont use terrains on your team is it bad to use galarian stunfisc as the ability doesnt seem as useful then, unless you are fighting against one

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
This is what i have been wondering. Does it change it to a pure grass/fairy/ect, or does only 1 of its types change?

I am wondering how useful this is. I mean, i guess you will always get the bonuses from terrain effects, but if you dont use terrains on your team is it bad to use galarian stunfisc as the ability doesnt seem as useful then, unless you are fighting against one
What I saw was stunfisk with grass type only in grassy terrain and ground/steel type after the terrain ended. I would assume the other terrains are the appropriate types and can have this tested if needed.

Last edited:
What I saw what stunfisk with grass type only in grassy terrain and ground/steel type after the terrain ended. I would assume the other terrains are the appropriate types and can have this tested if needed.
Testing is always good. I assume the other terrains make it electric, psychic, and fairy. What would be a prefered terrain stunfisk may want to be i wonder

Sorry for the double post, but i was wondering, can you leech seed a dynamax or gigantemax pokemon, or if a pokemon that was leeched grows do they keep tje leech? Because if they could be seeded that could be a decent counter to them, as you are regaining 100% more hp since their hp doubles. You could get back more hp then a seeded blissey gives you. Might be a good check to them to midigate a lot of the damage you could receive

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
An unexpected interaction with Neutralizing Gas and Intimidate:

Battle starts with Weezing (Neutralizing Gas) vs. Gyarados (Intimidate)
Neutralizing Gas activates.
Weezing is swapped out.
Effects of Neutralizing Gas wear off.
Gyarados's Intimidate activates. Weezing's Attack is dropped.
Corviknight is sent out. (Attack is normal.)
Corviknight's Unnerve activates.
Gyarados uses Thrash.

So it‘s just surpressing the ability and hinders the ability from activating like Unnerve does with Berries?

Do we know if Contrary lowers your stats when using Max Moves that increase stats? I ask because in Gen 7, omniboost Z moves like Z-Celebrate didn't lower stats for Pokemon like Malamar.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
There have been a lot of questions about this before this leak, so how does Malamar's evolution work on the two modes of the Switch?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Does Dynamax Level have any effect on online battles? Is it like affection where it has no effect, and everything's capped at +50% max HP?

er
If a pokemon dynamaxes and uses a max move, can instruct be used on it to have it use the max move again, or will instruct fail like with z-moves?

If a pokemon dynamaxes and instruct is used on it before it can use a max move, will it use the move that it used the turn before, will it use its corresponding max move, or will instruct fail?
Friendly reminder - This is kinda important, looking at what is currently spamming the Nexus-meta.

Anubis

HONK
- Does G-Max Wildfire start the same "sea of fire" effect started by Fire Pledge + Grass Pledge?
Seems different from that effect if Bulbapedia is right that it's 1/8.
The message for the fire effect activating: "Your ally Pokemon were surrounded by fire!"
The message for the fire effect triggering each turn: "[Pokemon] is burning up within G-Max Wildfire's flames!"
The effect caused damage to non-fire type from 178 -> 135 out of 260 health, which is approximately 1/6 health.

Anubis

HONK
There's been a lot of rumors flying around about Disguise potentially taking damage when its broken for Mimikyu, has there been any evidence of this? I haven't been able to find any videos of the ghost gym that has Mimikyu since everyone seemed to stream Sword lol
Seems this is the case. I saw: Mimikyu used Swords Dance, then Earthquake broke Mimikyu's Disguise, and health dropped from 131/131 to 115/131.

EDIT: It seems the calculation uses the original HP for Dynamaxed. Dynamax Mimikyu with Disguise broken goes from 249/262 -> 233/262.

Last edited:
Someone posted on another thread that Zacian and Eternatus can't Dynamax. Is this definitely the case (i.e. no later conditions to unlock it)? And if so, are all legendaries Dynamax-locked or just these three?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)