Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I wonder if they’ll bring back any of the super mechanics as a gimmick in Gen 9? It’s been almost a decade since Megas were introduced, and considering their fan following, it would attract a lot of attention. And besides, I’m not sure what mechanic they could create after combing Megas and Z Moves.

Whiwe Dynyamax is unyique to gawaw and z muvs unyique to awowa, megas do nyot have such a cwause to tie them down. If they want to wemake any past gen, they can weintwoduce megas to spice things up. If say, idk, gen 9 dwc has us visiting kawos and getting mega wings, it wouwdnt be so stwange.

Aww i ask is that they bawance it somehiw instead of dumping evewy mechanyic at once to the game, west we end up with something wike a Nyationyaw Dex Ubews meta whewe Dynyamax mega metagwoss is a thing and weavike is howding a cwystaw and pikachu has a gun and-
IMO Z-moves and Dynamax having dialogue about being exclusive to their region is about as true as when XY said Megas are a Kalos thing. That lasted all of, like, 6 months.

IMO Z-moves and Dynamax having dialogue about being exclusive to their region is about as true as when XY said Megas are a Kalos thing. That lasted all of, like, 6 months.
Weeeeell... ORAS works in an alternative universe where Megas are not a Kalos-only thing, and in case of SM/USUM, there's Dexio and Sina bringing over Megastones and the mega-ring-whatever for the player in order for him to use it.

Now, tecnically Z-crystals could also be... "transferable", since all they really require is the Z-crystal and the Z-band. Different case for Dynamax though, as it literally requires a dedicated location in game to use.

Weeeeell... ORAS works in an alternative universe where Megas are not a Kalos-only thing, and in case of SM/USUM, there's Dexio and Sina bringing over Megastones and the mega-ring-whatever for the player in order for him to use it.

Now, tecnically Z-crystals could also be... "transferable", since all they really require is the Z-crystal and the Z-band. Different case for Dynamax though, as it literally requires a dedicated location in game to use.
Awesome, so alternate universe Sinnoh where Porygon-Z can Z-conversion into a god!

You may have saw the above. But ORAS and XY both have their background lore set about 3000 years or further, plus i do not believe that they said mega stones are the ONLY place mega evolution can happen, just the birthplace.
No can do: the crystals need the Z energy thats all around Alola to activate, which is the same reason totems exist and are only on Alola. Like Dynamax, z moves can only be fone on those islands.

I know you're memeing on it, but remember the only reason Rayquaza can't Mega while holding a Z-crystal was because they shared the same button.
But then they had Necrozma get a exclusive Ultra Burst button that happened to be located in the same place as the Mega and Z-Move buttons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So as a nice surprise, they're having Max Raids for Gigantamax Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth!

Gigantamax Pikachu is available now through May 18th.
Gigantamax Eevee is available May 19th to May 25th.
Gigantamax Meowth is available May 26th to June 1st.

These Gigantamax can be Shiny (I believe the ones you get through the initial giveaways were Shiny locked) and can have their Hidden Ability.
In addition, some G-Pikachu come knowing Volt Tackle which can only be learned atm through breeding a Pichu with one parent holding a Light Ball. Who knows if the other two will have some with a special move as well.

Will the Zarude distribution be delayed as well?
They didn't mention that in the tweet, but they'll let us know when the presale ticket will be available. At this point it's just that they don't want people crowding in public places to buy the tickets I think, since, as I mentioned before, you don't have to decide which screening of the movie you want to see when you buy the presale ticket.

I do wonder if for once Japan will just not do this distribution method and instead just give it out to everyone.

You know, like everywhere else in the world

I do wonder if for once Japan will just not do this distribution method and instead just give it out to everyone.

You know, like everywhere else in the world
Most movies have presale tickets in Japan. They're cheaper than a regular movie ticket in some cases (see below) and give you some more flexibility, and usually have some kind of goodie that comes with it as well, whether that be a clear file or even just the design of the presale ticket itself for moviegoers to keep as a sort of souvenir. TPC could, I suppose, just give out a clear file with the movie's poster as a design, but why do that when they can just give out a code to redeem a Pokemon at no extra cost to them?

Here's the price list for Toho Cinema (one of the bigger cinema chains in Japan) in Shinjuku, Tokyo:

General: ¥1,900
Student (college): ¥1,500
Student (high school): ¥1,000
Student (junior high/elementary): ¥1,000
Child: ¥1,000

Special Prices
TOHO Cinema Day (14th of every month): ¥1,200
Cine MILEAGE Day (members only, every Tuesday): ¥1,400
First Day (1st of every month): ¥1,200
Ladies' Day (ladies only, every Wednesday): ¥1,200
au Monday (au [phone company in Japan] smartpass members only, every Monday): ¥1,200 for college students and up, ¥900 for high school students and below
LINE Pay Cinema Day (paid using LINE Pay for movies on 3rd Thursday of every month): ¥1,200
Late Show (showings after 20:00): ¥1,300
Senior citizens (60 and up): ¥1,200
Married couples (as long as one person is above the age of 50): ¥2,400 for two
Disabled: ¥1,000

The price of a presale ticket depends on the movie, but is in most cases ¥1,400 or ¥1,500. Of course, if you're eligible for the special/discount prices, or you plan to watch the movie on a specific day, there are times when it's cheaper to go for those deals instead. Basically, if you're the average salaryman, the presale ticket is almost always worth it, because there's no Mens' Day, you're OTing on Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays even if you're a au smartpass/Cine MILEAGE member/use LINE Pay, you're probably not disabled, and more often than not, the 1st and 14th are not Saturdays/Sundays when you don't have to work.

Most movies have presale tickets in Japan. They're cheaper than a regular movie ticket in some cases (see below) and give you some more flexibility, and usually have some kind of goodie that comes with it as well, whether that be a clear file or even just the design of the presale ticket itself for moviegoers to keep as a sort of souvenir. TPC could, I suppose, just give out a clear file with the movie's poster as a design, but why do that when they can just give out a code to redeem a Pokemon at no extra cost to them?

Here's the price list for Toho Cinema (one of the bigger cinema chains in Japan) in Shinjuku, Tokyo:

General: ¥1,900
Student (college): ¥1,500
Student (high school): ¥1,000
Student (junior high/elementary): ¥1,000
Child: ¥1,000

Special Prices
TOHO Cinema Day (14th of every month): ¥1,200
Cine MILEAGE Day (members only, every Tuesday): ¥1,400
First Day (1st of every month): ¥1,200
Ladies' Day (ladies only, every Wednesday): ¥1,200
au Monday (au [phone company in Japan] smartpass members only, every Monday): ¥1,200 for college students and up, ¥900 for high school students and below
LINE Pay Cinema Day (paid using LINE Pay for movies on 3rd Thursday of every month): ¥1,200
Late Show (showings after 20:00): ¥1,300
Senior citizens (60 and up): ¥1,200
Married couples (as long as one person is above the age of 50): ¥2,400 for two
Disabled: ¥1,000

The price of a presale ticket depends on the movie, but is in most cases ¥1,400 or ¥1,500. Of course, if you're eligible for the special/discount prices, or you plan to watch the movie on a specific day, there are times when it's cheaper to go for those deals instead. Basically, if you're the average salaryman, the presale ticket is almost always worth it, because there's no Mens' Day, you're OTing on Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays even if you're a au smartpass/Cine MILEAGE member/use LINE Pay, you're probably not disabled, and more often than not, the 1st and 14th are not Saturdays/Sundays when you don't have to work.
Well that's some interesting context, thank you

I still think tying a Pokemon to presale tickets is probably not the primary distribution method I would do, but at least I get why it happens now.

Still at the very least I dont see this releasing any time soon. And sitting on Zarude for months and months makes no sense. I know the west has recently experimented with just putting movies up on streaming services (to resounding sales success), I wonder if Japan might do similarly. Could even give Zarude codes out for "prepurchasing" a streaming ticket (which is...also a thing I think they do on large niconico streams and such?).

I wonder how long the delay for release will actually be. Maybe they’re planning for a fall release but don’t want to be too optimistic and/or tie themselves to a date if they have to move it again?I’m just hoping that if the movie is delayed till next year (which would be understandable, though I would prefer they just put it out for streaming at that point) we can at least get Zarude as an event mon independently from the release.

I still think tying a Pokemon to presale tickets is probably not the primary distribution method I would do, but at least I get why it happens now.

Still at the very least I dont see this releasing any time soon. And sitting on Zarude for months and months makes no sense. I know the west has recently experimented with just putting movies up on streaming services (to resounding sales success), I wonder if Japan might do similarly. Could even give Zarude codes out for "prepurchasing" a streaming ticket (which is...also a thing I think they do on large niconico streams and such?).
I agree with you, it wouldn't be my preferred choice for distribution either, but I guess it does help with getting more people to watch the movie, or just buying a ticket even if they don't eventually go. I'm guessing that they'll have to distribute it via another method, perhaps the way everyone else around the world will get it, if it's still unsafe to sell the presale tickets in the near future. That said, 39 prefectures will have their emergency status lifted pretty soon, so we'll see.

I wonder how long the delay for release will actually be. Maybe they’re planning for a fall release but don’t want to be too optimistic and/or tie themselves to a date if they have to move it again?I’m just hoping that if the movie is delayed till next year (which would be understandable, though I would prefer they just put it out for streaming at that point) we can at least get Zarude as an event mon independently from the release.
It might not be up to TPC right now, and Pokemon is certainly not the only movie whose release has been delayed. Cinemas have been closed for quite a while and some will only start to reopen this Friday. Even Toho is reopening just 10 of their 67 cinemas in Japan. It just doesn't make any sense from any point of view to reopen them at this point.

I've a feeling those prefectures will close right back up (or rather, they should) since there's...not really been any movement on anything to get stable. It's just going to lead to a surge of infection most likely.

Thanks for reminding me that Zarude exists, because I just realized something strange about it.

Why is the signature move of Zarude, the Dark-type Rouge Monkey that immediately attacks any outsider it sees, a healing move? And not just any healing move, but a cooperative healing move? Zarude was always known to have healing powers, but it was originally just a footnote on the website.
It can grow vines from the back of its neck, its wrists, and the soles of its feet at will. The vines are strong and flexible. They can be used to wrap around tree branches to move around or to grab Berries from distant branches. They’re useful for many different situations. The vines also have a healing property. If the vines are wrapped around a wound, it will heal.
I don't recall anyone finding that strange at the time (Lockstin just passed it by with "orangutans know simple plant medicine") but then a month later Jungle Healing was revealed. It seems those healing powers aren't just for flavor text; they're Zarude's most notable feature. Signature moves, especially legendary signature moves, are typically reflective of a Pokemon's most powerful and/or unique in-universe ability. Which means the thing Zarude does better than anything else is healing its allies.

This seems to put an interesting duality on Zarude. To outsiders, they're vicious creatures that will attack anything on sight. But to the other members of their pack, Zarude are caring and nurturing.

Thanks for reminding me that Zarude exists, because I just realized something strange about it.

Why is the signature move of Zarude, the Dark-type Rouge Monkey that immediately attacks any outsider it sees, a healing move? And not just any healing move, but a cooperative healing move? Zarude was always known to have healing powers, but it was originally just a footnote on the website.

I don't recall anyone finding that strange at the time (Lockstin just passed it by with "orangutans know simple plant medicine") but then a month later Jungle Healing was revealed. It seems those healing powers aren't just for flavor text; they're Zarude's most notable feature. Signature moves, especially legendary signature moves, are typically reflective of a Pokemon's most powerful and/or unique in-universe ability. Which means the thing Zarude does better than anything else is healing its allies.

This seems to put an interesting duality on Zarude. To outsiders, they're vicious creatures that will attack anything on sight. But to the other members of their pack, Zarude are caring and nurturing.
Pairs well with its role in Coco where it seems to have taken in the kid and raised him.

As expected, 39 prefectures had their emergency status lifted today, leaving behind Hokkaido, Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, Osaka, Hyogo, and Kyoto. Not really sure how the rest of them will play out for now, but they have some pretty strict guidelines for when they can declare a prefecture to no longer be in emergency. That said, it's hard to see cinemas opening up when all 8 of those prefectures rank in the top 13 in population.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)