Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Let's avoid posting info from the datamine in this thread, please.

Anyways I love that Galarian Slowbro has a arm cannon, it can cosplay as Megaman or Samus and this make me wonder where shellder will go on G-Slowking, only the belly hasn't been bitten.
DrPumpkinz in the datamine thread reminded us we've seen Slowking...partially

Seems like it's still on its head (or at least, around the neck)

Here are all the new moves we know the category of.

Shell Side Arm:
Shell Side Arm is a Poison-type special move in which this Pokémon fires poisonous liquid from the tip of the Shellder attached to its arm. This move may poison the target. Moreover, it inflicts either physical or special damage depending on which will damage the target more.

Freezing Glare:
Freezing Glare is a Psychic-type special move in which the Pokémon attacks by firing psychic power from both eyes. This move may also leave the target frozen.

Thunderous Kick:
In this Fighting-type physical move, the Pokémon overwhelms the target with lightning-like movement before delivering a kick. This also lowers the target’s Defense stat.

Fiery Wrath:
In this Dark-type special move, the Pokémon transforms its wrath into a fire-like aura to attack. It may also make opposing Pokémon flinch.

Thunder Cage:
In this Electric-type special move, the Pokémon fires furious bolts of electricity from its lower half, trapping opponents directly below it in a cage of lightning. Thunder Cage doesn’t only deal damage to opponents when it lands—it will also cause them to be trapped within an electrified cage, causing damage every turn for four to five turns and preventing them from fleeing or being swapped out.

Interestingly, the category of Dragon Energy isn't mentioned.

I also checked the Japanese site with by using ctrl+F to search for 物理技 and 特殊技 (the terms for physical and special moves according to Bulbapedia). Got the exact same information.

On a side note it seems like the reason they didn't make Galarian Articuno Ice/Psychic is to avoid overlap with Galarian Mr. Mime/Rime. Then again pure-Psychic Galarian Slowpoke got introduced after the same gen had pure-Psychic Galarian Ponyta.

Regardless that's my best guess.

On a side note it seems like the reason they didn't make Galarian Articuno Ice/Psychic is to avoid overlap with Galarian Mr. Mime/Rime. Then again pure-Psychic Galarian Slowpoke got introduced after the same gen had pure-Psychic Galarian Ponyta.
Well, ponyta does evolve in Psychic-Fairy, while Slowbro evolves in Psychic/Poison and ??? (we don't know the typing of Slowking, but after seeing the art I am actually somewhat confident in Psychic/Ghost)

Well, ponyta does evolve in Psychic-Fairy, while Slowbro evolves in Psychic/Poison and ??? (we don't know the typing of Slowking, but after seeing the art I am actually somewhat confident in Psychic/Ghost)
Rapidash not only becomes Psychic-Fairy, it is Psychic-Fairy in the same generation we got another Psychic-Fairy line and is in the game with the OTHER Psychic-Fairy line.

So I don't think they did any of this to avoid type overlap, I think they really did just ... want them all the keep the flying type...I guess maybe they see the "bird" aspect as more important to their identity?

Regardless that's my best guess.
It's probably because they thought "oh they're the legendary bird trio and they all share the Flying type, so their Galarian forms also need to share a type". If they were concerned about type overlap, they wouldn't have had Galarian Articuno have the exact same typing as its master Lugia, nor would they have had all three new non-legendary Fighting types be pure Fighting, despite all of them having reasonable arguments for being dual typed, nor would they have had pure Psychic Ponyta evolve into Psychic/Fairy Rapidash while simultaneously introducing an entirely new line of pure Psychic mons whose final form is Psychic/Fairy.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
the only one that actually flies in the traditional sense is the one that is on fire

Articuno levitates as per its flavor info, Zapdos can barely fly at all because its wings atrophied, and, just so we're clear, Moltres does fly but it is also engulfed in flames.

So the website isn't clear to me as when I go to Isle of Armor it takes you to a generic Newly Discovered area for Galarian forms and the like.

Are the Galarian Legendary birds and Regis in Isle of Armor or the 2nd expansion with the rest of the old legendary?

There is lore in the site that say they are migrating birds in the Crown Tundra (I hope this means that it isn't a island or poor G-Zapdos will have to swim) and the Regi temple is an snowy area as shown in the trailers.

Last edited:
:mr. mime: :gardevoir:
Which other one?

They are both here.
God I forgot about Kantonian Mr Mime!

Every psychic fairy is HERE
So the website isn't clear to me as when I go to Isle of Armor it takes you to a generic Newly Discovered area for Galarian forms and the like.

Are the Galarian Legendary birds and Regis in Isle of Armor or the 2nd expansion with the rest of the old legendary?
They are for Tundra specifically.

View attachment 251283

Now that I realize this, if Game Freak ever wants to bring back Mega Evolutions, they'll have a conflict to solve with Galarian Slowbro.

Unless, of course, we should take this as a sign that Mega Evolutions are never coming back.
Thats a simple fix really: make a new mega for galarian bro, or dont let g bro mega evolve.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
the only one that actually flies in the traditional sense is the one that is on fire

Articuno levitates as per its flavor info, Zapdos can barely fly at all because its wings atrophied, and, just so we're clear, Moltres does fly but it is also engulfed in flames.
Moltres' flame is apparently malevolent energy or something along those lines according to the website

I'm super hyped about Slowbro-Galar, I was speculating it to be part Poison (although I was surprised to see it being the primary typing fsr) since they showed it and it makes me happy. Dunno how it'll perform competitively since while it's a good Clef switchin it doesn't get Teleport unlike its Kantonian counterpart, but I really hope it's usable in UU; assuming it keeps Regenerator, its AV set is a direct improvement from AV Reuniclus (checking offensive Fairies and Rose) while being a better physical tank. It'll play very differently to regular Bro even if they share the same stats though, since it can't check Grounds or Darmanitan. Still pretty cool.

I'm also sad that Zapdos lost its Electric typing, Electric/Fighting would've been a very interesting combination. Articuno-Galar looks interesting Competitive-ly (lame pun, sorry) even if I like the others' designs more. A Psychic-type move that freezes is something I wasn't expecting at all.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the news and can't wait to try the new stuff. Grassy Surge Gorilla also seems fun, especially if the new Grass-type move ends up being physical. Good stuff.

About Dratini: I've been scouring the trailers and website for a while to try and find it, but it's just not showing up. Done a bit of further looking... and upon doing that, it seems Serebii's removed the Dratini family from their site and looking up people talking about it it seems to mostly be people mistaking the Dragapult for a Dragonair. I've sent a question to Serebii to ask about it but since they took it off, it was more than likely a mistake. Here's hoping they make it in regardless though!

I think because they're clearly birds they felt they have to be part flying type.

About Dratini: I've been scouring the trailers and website for a while to try and find it, but it's just not showing up. Done a bit of further looking... and upon doing that, it seems Serebii's removed the Dratini family from their site and looking up people talking about it it seems to mostly be people mistaking the Dragapult for a Dragonair. I've sent a question to Serebii to ask about it but since they took it off, it was more than likely a mistake. Here's hoping they make it in regardless though!
Serebii the best place for confirmed Pokes for Isle of Armor? Seeing a lot of the news sites mixing stuff with the Tundra Pokemon like Garchomp. Unless I'm super confused.

I think because they're clearly birds they felt they have to be part flying type.

Serebii the best place for confirmed Pokes for Isle of Armor? Seeing a lot of the news sites mixing stuff with the Tundra Pokemon like Garchomp. Unless I'm super confused.
Serebii is absolutely the best place. Even when there's a mistake like above, they're very quick to correct it and they're otherwise very good about getting info as correct and complete as possible. Their general pages for each expansion list each returning Pokémon within said expansions known so far:-

https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/expansionpass/theisleofarmor.shtml
https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/expansionpass/thecrowntundra.shtml

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)