Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Leak might be fake but re-releasing three 13+ year old games for full price is certainly within Nintendo's business model.

In all seriousness if this ends up being real you can buy VC Red, Gold, and 3DS Omega Ruby for 50 US dollars so idk why anyone would want this. Then again sounds like an easy cash grab so I wouldn't put it past Nintendo / Gamefreak. Both companies seem to love selling past content back to us.
Well,

1. Online. That's actually pretty big; VC RBY and GSC adding wireless was huge but since it wasn't the 90s it was difficult to actually find anyone locally who also had Pokémon Blue on this specific console.
2. RSE isn't really the same as ORAS and there are actually quite a few people - including myself, not hiding my bias here - who actually prefer the originals.
3. You can play on either the TV or handheld. Boom. Instant sale. That's kind of the reason the Switch has been doing so well and why people still buy ports of games they already own; the prospect of Megaman ZX on the big screen or Skyrim on the go is really hard to pass up and Pokémon isn't immune.
4. They released LGPE for full price and it's still in the 10 best-selling switch games Pokémon fans will buy anything with the name on it

For the same reason Nintendo can keep publishing Wii U ports on the Switch and sell them well: people who don't have the original console.

Dunno if that collection thing is real... so I'll try to not talk about it.
It's fake, I'm afraid. Literally just came across the original 4chan threads where it was made; which included an original version where they put "pallete town" instead.

Well,

1. Online. That's actually pretty big; VC RBY and GSC adding wireless was huge but since it wasn't the 90s it was difficult to actually find anyone locally who also had Pokémon Blue on this specific console.
2. RSE isn't really the same as ORAS and there are actually quite a few people - including myself, not hiding my bias here - who actually prefer the originals.
3. You can play on either the TV or handheld. Boom. Instant sale. That's kind of the reason the Switch has been doing so well and why people still buy ports of games they already own; the prospect of Megaman ZX on the big screen or Skyrim on the go is really hard to pass up and Pokémon isn't immune.
I'm not saying they wouldn't sell... the opposite, they would make lots of money. Nintendo recently re-released three old 3d Mario games, slapped them onto one disc, and charged full price for them and for some reason the fans ate it up instead of being outraged. Imo none of those old Pokémon games are worth paying more than a few dollars for but still Nintendo fans will pay so the stuff will sell out via pre-orders alone. If I'm so desperate to play those games I can do so via a 3 minute rom download on my phone.

It's kind of frustrating that something like this is the business standard. Now say, if they were to pack all the games gens 1-5 into one Switch cart I'll happily pay 60 for it. That would be the dream. Add in gen 6 and 7 and I'll personally fly to Japan and suck Ken Sugimori's balls on my knees like the desperate Pokefan I am for a copy. But unfortunately they know all they need to do is ride the nostalgia train and release the bare minimum and stuff will fly off the shelves.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, switch cartridges can hold 32 Gigabytes.

Gen I games were 11 MB.
Gen II games were 16 MB.
Gen III games were 64 MB.
Gen IV games were 128 MB.
Gen V games were 512 MB.
Gen VI games were 1.7 GB.
Gen VII games were 3.2 GB.

They could easily put all past generation games into one cart, or rather two carts:

Crimson Pack: Red (+ Yellow), Gold (+ Crystal), Ruby (+ Emerald), FireRed, Diamond (+ Platinum), HeartGold, Black, Black 2, X, OmegaRuby, Sun, Ultra Sun
Turquoise Pack: Blue (+ Yellow), Silver (+ Crystal), Sapphire (+ Emerald), LeafGreen, Pearl (+ Platinum), SoulSilver, White, White 2, Y, AlphaSapphire, Moon, Ultra Moon

If my math is right, that'll make each 11.3 GB each. Now that technically means they can actually put ALL games into one cart (22.6 GB), but knowing GF they'd probably want to keep the archaic two version design (though at least both packs would have the third/enhanced version so people wouldn't miss much).

I do remember a leak popping up on 4Chan saying that there would be a 2020 Pokemon switch collections consisting of DP, HGSS, BW, XY, ORAS, and SM. Granted this is coming from 4Chan, so should be taken with a grain of salt. but this would make more sense since it would let new players experience all the regions currently not on switch. A collection of Red, Green, and Ruby just seems like a waste, especially since switch players can experience Kanto on switch already with Lets Go.

Despite being originally on the DS / 3DS, I think the games could be ported to switch. They can display the games like the Wii U VC does.

It is true, but don't forget that DS and 3DS games literally cannot be ported to the Switch due to 2nd screen.
So realistically, in a hypotetical world where they decide to ride the nostalgia train like they've done with VC, the only games you can realistically see on Switch would be gen 1 to 3.
I wouldn't be so certain of that. A bottom-screen menu was ported to the Switch fine for Megaman ZX, and all of the stuff that seriously uses the two-screen layout is not part of the core adventure. Setting it up and adapting the minigames would however take some effort so we're not going to see them anytime soon.

I wouldn't be so certain of that. A bottom-screen menu was ported to the Switch fine for Megaman ZX, and all of the stuff that seriously uses the two-screen layout is not part of the core adventure. Setting it up and adapting the minigames would however take some effort so we're not going to see them anytime soon.
My point is that it requires additional coding, something GF is likely not willing to do. VC 3DS ports were basically emulated versions of the games, that doesn't really require extra attention.
Having to "move" the 2nd screen somewhere does.

Unless of course you want to opt for something like Citra does, two windows near each other, one screen each. Which honestly looks... pretty ugly.

" It has been reported through various Japanese sources that Corocoro have announced an in-theater distribution for Pokémon the Movie Coco, starting when the movie drops in Japan in theaters on December 25th 2020. This distribution will be of "Dada" Zarude, a form of Zarude with a Celebi cape, as seen in the movie Coco. " ~ Serebii

So they're just dropping a new Zarude form, huh?

" It has been reported through various Japanese sources that Corocoro have announced an in-theater distribution for Pokémon the Movie Coco, starting when the movie drops in Japan in theaters on December 25th 2020. This distribution will be of "Dada" Zarude, a form of Zarude with a Celebi cape, as seen in the movie Coco. " ~ Serebii

So they're just dropping a new Zarude form, huh?
I was wondering if they were going to ever actually release this this generation or if it would go the same way as original color magearna

I was wondering if they were going to ever actually release this this generation or if it would go the same way as original color magearna
Apparently it was meant to be released in July following normal Zarude’s June release; but of course Covid.

Is it already coded into the game?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kind of blows my mind how far we've come. 22 years ago my Windows 98 had a 32 GB hard drive.
Indeed. Like it amazed me at the time that the Game Boy Advance had as much power as a Super NES, and it fit comfortably in my pocket!...

Today that much data can fit on a Switch cartridge small enough to fit comfortably up my ass. Amazing.

Wonderful, just wonderful. Oh wait...
This went under the radar btw, but the transfer from Go to Home arbitrarly went live tonight, including Gigamax Melmetal distribution.

https://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/pokemonhometransfer.shtml

That is quite "pricey" on Go side... looks like it'll just be a "one and done" case to get G-max Melmetal honestly.
Absurdly enough, let alone the "pricey" coin stuff, you need to be level 40 in GO to access it, it appears. My brother in law has been playing a lot and he's only level 27.

You can't be a consolle-only player and casually get Melmetal. It requires committing to playing GO.

Either it gets fixed in the foreseeable future ot it's a terrible decision.

Wonderful, just wonderful. Oh wait...

Absurdly enough, let alone the "pricey" coin stuff, you need to be level 40 in GO to access it, it appears. My brother in law has been playing a lot and he's only level 27.

You can't be a consolle-only player and casually get Melmetal. It requires committing to playing GO.

Either it gets fixed in the foreseeable future ot it's a terrible decision.
Every time Go rolls out a new feature, they make it available to level 40 players first, then work their way down.

Every time Go rolls out a new feature, they make it available to level 40 players first, then work their way down.
Ah, all right, thanks. Sounds far more reasonable.
Ironically, Niantic has proved to be way more careful than GF when it comes out to new features.

I always assumed (I used to play Go in the past so I was used to this) that they do it to make sure their servers don't get overloaded by requests right away, and have time to fix potential bugs before the entire playerbase abuses them or breaks the service.

That said, I do wonder if with the release of G-max Melmetal it'll be possible to also just G-soup regular Melmetals in game.
...not that it really matters considering Melmetal is never going to be allowed in VGC or BSS but still. Collection :P

And then I believe they recently decided to just, not do the poke coin changes anyway?

But yeah this whole thing kind of sucks! To sum up the stuff you'd actually care about transferring over:-

- As predicted, GO-exclusive skins such as Halloween Gengar, Easter Eevee, Hat Croagunk, the many many Pikachu etc can't be transferred. Nor Shadow Pokémon and currently Mega Evolved Pokémon.
- Mythicals (Mew, Meltan, Darkrai etc) and Shinies of normal Pokémon cost 2,000 energy; so 1/5 of your weekly max 10,000 energy.
- Shiny legendaries and mythicals cost the entire weekly 10,000 energy
- For legendaries it seems you... have to have already caught the Pokémon in SwSh to transfer them in? This is a very new very weird to quirk to transfer that only seems to be applying to GO right now. If you try to transfer your shiny Dialga from GO into SwSh but you haven't caught Dialga in SwSh yet, sorry, better go do that first for some goddamn reason. I'm actually not sure yet if the requirement is having caught the Pokémon in Raid Adventures or if you just have to have had it on your game in any form before but it's very weird either way.
- Ability is randomised between the two standard abilities, so you can't get HAs from this
- Moveset is based on the normal moveset the Pokémon would have based on their most recent game... which is causing a very very funny oversight right now where Alolan and Galarian forms of Gen 1 Pokémon are getting Kantonian movesets from LGPE, such as Alolan Vulpix getting Fire Blast. Do with this information what you will.

By the by, the event Melmetal is fully optimised. Brave nature, 0 IV in Speed, max IVs everywhere else. So they... DO know that people go for 0 IVs, huh......

- For legendaries it seems you... have to have already caught the Pokémon in SwSh to transfer them in? This is a very new very weird to quirk to transfer that only seems to be applying to GO right now. If you try to transfer your shiny Dialga from GO into SwSh but you haven't caught Dialga in SwSh yet, sorry, better go do that first for some goddamn reason. I'm actually not sure yet if the requirement is having caught the Pokémon in Raid Adventures or if you just have to have had it on your game in any form before but it's very weird either way.
IIRC, they had mentioned this when they revealed you could do such transfers. You can only transfer Pokémon all the way from GO to Sword and Shield (without using Let's Go as a middleman of sorts) if you have that Pokémon registered as owned in those games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)