Team: Blitzkrieg [OU RMT]

Hello, Smogon! This is actually my first team that I've used in competitive battling. I actually only started battling competitively around a week ago, and I'm hooked. Without further ado, the team.

At a glance:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Team Building Process

I was a complete novice to battling around two weeks ago. After some friends at school showed me the diversity of the game, I read up on it a bit. And a combo that I was completely in love with was Gyaravire.

It was interesting to me how Gyarados's biggest weakness, electricity, could be harnessed by Electivire's Motor Drive ability and used against the enemy. Face it, Gyarados is one of the most threatening forces in the OU metagame, and an Electivire with 142 base Speed is terrifying. Gyarados has incredible power and bulk; Electivire has strength and fantastic type coverage. And both cover each other's weaknesses; Gyarados switches in on Earthquakes, Electivire switches in on Thunderbolts.

I'll admit it; I'm not an original person right when I jump into things. Give me a month or two, and I'll be cranking out the strangest OU teams you can think of, but whenever I start something, I go tried-and-true. Off of a Gamespot forum, I noticed another combo someone posted called HeatLoom. This was immediately appealing to me, for obvious reasons.

We all know Breloom as the lovable, plush fighting figure that has us screaming "DIE ALREADY YOU WHORE" as it repeatedly Spores and Focus Punches us. Three of its notable weaknesses; Fire, Flying and Psychic; are all easy Heatran switch-ins. Heatran's major weakness, Ground, is resisted by Breloom (Gyarados can switch in just as easily). This team combo gives me lots of resistances, lots of checks to my weaknesses, and quite a diverse movepool. I'm also aware that it's just as plausible to use Celebi and Heatran together, but I've always disliked Celebi. I acknowledge its power, but I just don't like it. >.>

I noticed at this point that a lot of my combinations were based around switching out of obvious weaknesses, and this might lead to predictability and being out-maneuvered. I wanted a dedicated sweeper, one with balls, one that could stay in on its threats and shout "HELL, NO" at them. I thought three Pokemon instantly: Tyranitar, Lucario, and Salamence. Tyranitar gives us three weaknesses to the most common offensive move in the game, Earthquake, as does Lucario, and Salamence is just plain better in this meta. So I went with Mence. I needed a lead now.

Metagross is, hands-down, my favorite Pokemon in any of the games. It's probably the cry that makes me so preferential towards it (seriously, it comes out and goes "META" in a really deep voice). It's bulky and it gets the job done. It can take Earthquakes and return them, it can set up Rocks, it can Explode, and it has a priority move. Instant fit.

However, after some testing on ShoddyBattle, it was found that Jolteon does leagues better than Electivire. It's faster, and can function as a deadly sweeper without the aid of Motor Boost. In addition, it can carry Hidden Power Ice to cover Dragons and Grass-types, while its Speed and Special Attack both trump that of Electivire.

Then, of course, came Salamence's untimely move to the Suspect category. If it ever goes up to Uber (likely), Dragonite is there. However, don't get the idea that it's being used as a replacement. With the right set, Dragonite has insane type coverage and can be just as formidable of a sweeper as Salamence was, with its massive Attack stat and better bulk.
Analysis

Metagross
@Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 100 HP, 252 Atk, 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Explosion

This used to be a TrickScarf Metagross, but I disliked the problems I had with Aerodactyl and my Trick getting Taunted. So I switched to a standard Metagross lead carrying Bullet Punch over Trick and it's been working very well. Fragile leads that tend to Taunt me are taken out rather easily. Rocks go up 90% of the time (Infernape and Heatran are problematic) and I Explode when I can. The Occa Berry was introduced in place of the Lum Berry because of problems from opposing Fire Blast Azelf.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP, 168 Atk, 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

D-Dance Gyara. I'm debating Bounce in here because I lack a good Flying move on this team. Then again, I don't really need a good Flying move. It's still nice for Spore dodging, and I've heard that you can dodge Explosion with it if you're good enough (that last point is directed mainly towards Exploding Heatran).

Jolteon@Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk, 30 Def
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-Baton Pass

This is actually the Choice Specs set with Life Orb thrown in. This makes dry passing an option to scout out Jolteon's potential counters while still
retaining the ability to pump out an offensive move or two. It also allows for some psychological games; trick an opponent into thinking that you're running Specs when they don't see Leftovers recovery and Baton Pass come up, then nail them with a switched move. HP Grass over HP Ice allows for coverage of threats like Swampert, while Jolteon can just rely on Thunderbolt to nail Dragons. However, I lose coverage on things like Zapdos and Flygon.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 42 HP, 252 Atk, 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Spore
-Focus Punch
-Seed Bomb
-Substitute

For the most part, it's a regular Breloom that can carry out SporePunch. I run Seed Bomb for type coverage. Most players choose to run Leech Seed, but Seed Bomb has been a life-saver in so many scenarios, especially against Pokemon like Swampert or Milotic that try to come in.

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 50 HP, 252 SAtk, 208 Spe
Naive Nature
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse
-Explosion

ScarfTran. Debating Shuca Berry over it.

Fire Blast is great for power, although I have lost more than one battle because it missed. Flamethrower, however, just doesn't have the raw power that Fire Blast has. Earth Power to hit other Heatrans. Dragon Pulse because this team tends to have a hard time with Dragons and Heatran can serve as a decent revenge killer. Explosion is standard.

Dragonite@Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 108 Atk, 196 SAtk, 204 Spe
Rash Nature
-Superpower
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Roost

With Salamence's likely move to the "Uber" tier, Dragonite is the best replacement. MixNite is capable of being a great wall breaker while possessing some nice bulk and survival capabilities; two things that Salamence often didn't possess. A Rash nature is chosen over a Mild one to help survive Ice Shards from the likes of Weavile and Mamoswine. It has great type coverage, and Attack that falls only one point short of Salamence. Thanks goes to Twist of Fate for pointing out my stall weakness.

Strategy

It's a very simple team in that you can just all-out sweep. Compared to teams that center around something like Swords Dance Lucario to sweep, this team has 5 attackers that can just pile on the damage. Gyarados, Breloom, and Heatran are three of the most feared Pokemon in the OU metagame.

A general game plan is to set up Rocks with Metagross and swap out to something else, or to Explode if you can. With the hyper-offensive pace that this team packs, you can force a lot of switches and rack up a lot of residual damage. The switches also give you plenty of time to set up a Dragon Dance with Gyarados, especially after Exploding and getting a free switch-in.

If one was to try to compose a general overview or purpose of the team, it would be to use incredibly deadly Pokemon that all manage to cover each other's weaknesses. Jolteon has got Gyarados's back when it comes to Electric attacks, while Dragonite and Gyarados both switch in on Ground-type moves that hurt Jolteon and Heatran. Heatran stops the Ice moves that Dragonite is weak to, while Breloom can come in on the Rock moves that hurt quite a few members of this team. Knowing your counters and prediction are key elements of this team.

Conclusion

Being my first RMT, I don't expect it to be the best at anything. It's simple and it helped introduce me to the game, while netting me quite a few wins on ShoddyBattle. Big thanks to all of Smogon community, especially the article writers, as they were the ones who helped me through this process, whether they were aware of it or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threat List [Lead]

Azelf
-Standard Taunt/SR/Fire Blast/Explosion: Metagross uses Meteor Mash, followed by Bullet Punch. Sometimes I'll use SR if I feel like it.
-Nasty Plotter: Meteor Mash-->Bullet Punch.

Infernape
-Swap out to Gyarados, which resists both Close Combat and Fire Blast while knocking down Infernape's Attack. Dragon Dance on the switch-out and sweep.

Metagross
-Against enemy Metagross, I tend to set up my Rocks, then switch out to Dragonite or Gyarados (the former carries Flamethrower, the latter carries a resistance to Steel). Enemy Earthquakes aren't really problems.

Jirachi
-Almost every single move in Jirachi's moveset is resisted by Metagross. Jirachi knows this and this is enough to make him swap out, coupled with the fact that most Metagross (not mine) carry Earthquake. My Meta will set up Rocks, then switch out.

Aerodactyl
-A combination of Meteor Mash+Bullet Punch can take out Aerodactyl, while its Earthquake can't take us out.

Swampert
-Swampert is a switch-out into Dragonite, then into Jolteon, who nails it with a super-effective Hidden Power Grass. The double switch is to ensure that Jolteon doesn't get nailed by Earthquake, while its great Special Defense of 95 lets it survive an Ice Beam on the switch-in.

Bronzong
-Set up Rocks and swap to Dragonite.

Tyranitar
-A Choice Banded Jolly T-Tar's Earthquake only has a 33% chance to OHKO me. Even so, I'll generally go with a swap to Gyarados in this situation.

Heatran
-Swap out. Swap out, swap out, swap out. If I predict that Heatran will use Fire Blast, my own Heatran can absorb it. However, if it decides to use Earth Power, my own Heatran is royally screwed. Therefore, I usually decide to swap to something else, i.e. Dragonite or Gyarados, both of which resist/are immune to both Fire Blast and Earth Power.

Gengar
-It really has very few moves that are effective against me; Bullet Punch takes out massive amounts of Gengar's health.

Mamoswine
-Raped by Bullet Punch and Meteor Mash.

Smeargle
-Bullet Punch twice; I can't OHKO anyway because of a Sash. Lum Berry counteracts the Spore that Smeargle inevitably throws out.

Roserade
-Hidden Power Fire is the only thing that poses a threat to Metagross. By that time, I've probably already swapped out to my Dragonite, ready to Fire Punch away.

Machamp
-Swap to Gyara, Intimidate him, Taunt his Subs/Rest, and Waterfall to death. Slightly problematic at times.

Summary: Very few leads actually give me problems; Heatran can sweep me if I decide to switch my own in and predict incorrectly, but I usually won't go that road. Machamp gives me slight problems too if a Confused Gyarados ends up screwing me over.

Threat List [Main]
Breloom
-Metagross takes the Spore; Meteor Mash-->Bullet Punch as Lum Berry wakes me up.

Celebi
-Swap to Dragonite to absorb the Earth Power, then Fire Punch.

Dugtrio
-Life Orb Dugtrio actually can't OHKO Metagross with Earthquake unless Stealth Rock is factored in (leads don't have this problem), so either set up Rocks then Bullet Punch to take out half Dugtrio's health, or just Explode and risk the rest of the match without Rocks.

Electivire
-Likely to come in to try and combat Gyarados; if I've already Danced, I outspeed it (if it hasn't had Motor Drive activate yet) and Earthquake away. If not, I swap to Jolteon to absorb the impending Thunderbolt. Few Electivires today carry Earthquake anymore, so I can take the risk and Shadow Ball him to death, or swap out to Dragonite. Dragonite has enough bulk to survive an HP Ice coming off only 95 SAtk, and can retaliate with Superpower. These scenarios are assuming that Electivire has gotten Motor Drive off; if it hasn't, it's much easier to deal with.

Empoleon
-Jolteon and Breloom both destroy it.

Flygon
-Gyarados is bulky enough to take most of Flygon's hits while Intimidating and hitting hard with Waterfall.

Gengar
-See its section in [Lead].

Gliscor
-Gyarados can take it out.

Gyarados
-Jolteon really shines here, outspeeding a Gyarados even after it Dragon Dances. However, if they're good with prediction and can land a Jolteon/Electivire switch of their own, I have problems. Worst comes to worst; I Explode on it.

Heatran
-Dragonite resists Heatran's trump moves and fights back with Superpower. Against the occasional Heatran packing Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power Ice, I can use Gyarados.

Heracross
-Dragonite used Flamethrower! It's super effective! Heatran used Fire Blast! It's super effective!

Infernape
-See [Lead]

Jirachi
-See [Lead]

Kingdra
-In a Rain Dance team, this guy is a pain. My best bets are Outrage on Dragonite or Seed Bomb on Breloom, and both are defeated by Ice Beam. Yet again, I can Explode on it if it comes to that.

Lucario
-Dragonite can outspeed and Fire Punch it. Heatran can do the same, although with a Blast.

Machamp
-See its section in [Lead].

Magnezone
-Heatran has Fire Blast and Earth Power; Metagross is forced to Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash for minor damage, then Explode. Jolteon absorbs Thunderbolts not directed at Steel-types.

Mamoswine
-See [Lead]

Metagross
-See [Lead]

Ninjask
-Bullet Punch defeats a very frail Pokemon. Metagross itself resists X-Scissor and Aerial Ace, Ninjask's primary offensive moves.

Porygon-Z
-Fragile. Dragonite can Superpower it, while Breloom can take it out if it's lucky enough to set up Spore/Sub on it.

Rhyperior
-Gyarados. Done.

Roserade
-See [Lead]

Rotom (All Forms)
-
One of the sole reasons Jolteon carries Shadow Ball is to be able to swap in on Rotom.

Scizor
-Heatran can outspeed it. Dragonite carries Flamethrower.

Snorlax
-Breloom utterly rapes it.

Starmie
-Dragonite outspeeds it and exploits its frail defenses with Outrage.

Suicune
-Jolteon carries Thunderbolt, Breloom carries Focus Punch, Metagross carries Meteor Mash.

Togekiss
-Jolteon absorbs Thunder Wave and outspeeds ParaFlinch haxx.

Tyranitar
-Gyarados is my most reliable switch-in. Dragonite isn't half bad either.

Weavile
-Metagross tanks hits here like a champ. Bullet Punch leads to Weavile going down FAST.

Yanmega
-Heatran. Dragonite. Jolteon. Gyarados.

Zapdos
-Jolteon's Hidden Power Ice does quite a bit of damage here. Other than that, however, this can be a tough fight.

Summary:This team's biggest problems are against Gyarados, Flygon, and Zapdos, three relatively common Pokemon in OU. However, the matchup against Gyarados is only assuming that the opponent has a very reliable tank to absorb Thunderbolts from an angry Jolteon. The Flygon scenario also assumes that our Gyarados can't beat it down. The Zapdos scenario is the most realistic, but can be chipped away at until it finally falls.

Your team has really good synergy. I really can't find too much wrong with it right off the bat.
One thing you may want to consider testing is Jolteon over Electivire.
There are several sets Jolteon can run that can jive quite well with the rest of your team. A set running Substitute/Thunder Wave/Thunderbolt/ Hidden Power or Shadow Ball could give your team some paralysis support to help your Bulky DD Gyarados set-up. Jolteon also always outspeeds Jolly Gliscor and OHKOs with Hidden Power [Ice], whereas Electivire has to depend on winning a speed tie to beat Gliscor. Jolteon also always outspeeds and OHKOs positive speed natured Salamence that doesn't have a Dragon Dance under its belt. It also doesn't hurt that Jolteon can help weaken the physical walls that may prove troublesome to you.
Just fruit for thought.

Thanks for the friendly feedback, Tubaking!

Jolteon is looking better and better in my eyes, especially after that comment about Salamence. Hidden Power Ice on it is very attractive, and Jolteon can be a formidable sweeper on its own instead of Electivire that depends on the boost. I'll be testing that out on Shoddy soon. Again, thanks!

Not sure if this counts as a double post, but a major update to the team has been updated in Salamence being replaced by Dragonite.

EDIT: Threat list is up!

Lightning War! That's what Blitzkrieg means right? Isn't it the strategy Hitler and Mussolini use in WWII? Nice!

First thing I noticed is an Agiligross weakness! After one agility only Dragonite out speeds but it fails to kill Metagross with a Fire Punch which does 45.2% - 53.2%! And an Earthquake does about 59.8% - 70.4% damage! Which is some awesome amount of damage in my opinion to a Metagross! These calculations were done on a Metagross with no Defense or Hp EV. In return Metagross will take out 59.8% - 70.6% HP from Dragonite using Meteor Mash! Okay so you survive and you'll be able to 2 hit KO it! But Dragonite has to deal with Stealth Rock damage as well! Of course Gyarados can wall Metagross but if it's carrying Thunder Punch then it's game over! A Tinker Bell Celebi can be helpful in these situations! If Metagross is carrying Ice Punch them Gyarados call finish it off! If it is carrying Lum Berry which doesn't matter because Celebi can survive two Meteor Mashes and of course paralyze it allowing Heatran to finish it off!

Good Luck!

TBH Agiligross isn't that bad of a problem. Gyarados resists its Steel-type attacks and reduces its ATK stat, while doing some heavy damage with Earthquake. Jolteon manages to speed tie with it, and Thunderbolt does quite a bit of damage. I'll definitely be trying a Celebi over Breloom in the near future though. Maybe I'll replace Dragonite, instead.

TBH Agiligross isn't that bad of a problem. Gyarados resists its Steel-type attacks and reduces its ATK stat, while doing some heavy damage with Earthquake. Jolteon manages to speed tie with it, and Thunderbolt does quite a bit of damage. I'll definitely be trying a Celebi over Breloom in the near future though. Maybe I'll replace Dragonite, instead.
Actually, Metagross' ability Clear Body prevents stat loss so Intimidate won't lower its attack.

Metagross has Clear Body! Agiligross carries either Ice Punch/Thunder Punch or the rarely see Explosion!
You may need to re-think about that!

Good Luck!

Metagross has Clear Body! Agiligross carries either Ice Punch/Thunder Punch or the rarely see Explosion!
You may need to re-think about that!

Good Luck!
Wow, brain fart. >.>

What would you recommend I change to deal with Agiligross short of swapping out a team member?

Also, Lucario can extreme speed and with 1 dance will OHKO your Dragonite with SR dmg and will do alot to heatran as well.
If you would comment on my team i would really appreciate it.
Otherwise your team is pretty nice, Against meta leads with Azelf i usually Taunt and then if they bullet punched or MM missed(Which i do see occasionally) i SR then switch, and if not i switch to Rotom expecting bullet punch and WoW first turn.

Three of your pokemon (Heatran, Metagross, Jolteon) and while you have 2 that are immune to it, you team is slightly suspectable to late game sweeping. I recommend the standard lead swampert with 20 Speed EVs to out run the other swamperts. However, I would only recommend the investment in the EVs if you decide to use roar. It does lack the pure offensive power that Metagross offers, however, it surely weakens pokemon so your other pokemon can come in and sweep.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you choose to run Celebi (which is a good idea) then I really would suggest it over Breloom instaad, you still get the awesome type combo and your synergy is still in place. The reason for this is that both Celebi and Breloom carry a status move. If Celebi is fireing off thunderwaves everywhere then Breloom is slightly ineffective. Therefore I believe tha Ceelbi can function over Breloom. Next I think that Dragonite is being underutalised. Gyarados with Taunt is your best chance at breaking stall, without it a well played SkarmBliss combo threatens you. Not to meantion that gyarados will have limited oppotunities to switch in anyway if SR is up and with the many phazers stall teams back you could have some slight trouble. I suggest a Mixnite over your current Scarf Dragonite set. Mixnite demolishes stall and could be a real powerhouse for your team.

Have a Nice Day!

If you choose to run Celebi (which is a good idea) then I really would suggest it over Breloom instaad, you still get the awesome type combo and your synergy is still in place. The reason for this is that both Celebi and Breloom carry a status move. If Celebi is fireing off thunderwaves everywhere then Breloom is slightly ineffective. Therefore I believe tha Ceelbi can function over Breloom. Next I think that Dragonite is being underutalised. Gyarados with Taunt is your best chance at breaking stall, without it a well played SkarmBliss combo threatens you. Not to meantion that gyarados will have limited oppotunities to switch in anyway if SR is up and with the many phazers stall teams back you could have some slight trouble. I suggest a Mixnite over your current Scarf Dragonite set. Mixnite demolishes stall and could be a real powerhouse for your team.

Have a Nice Day!
Thanks for the feedback!

Breloom has saved my life in battles so many times. I'm a bit more suited to replacing Dragonite with Celebi to be honest, although I'll test out the MixNite you proposed.

What to cut on Gyarados for Taunt? Stone Edge or Earthquake?

Dual status in Spore and Thunder Wave might not work, like you said. What about a different set, like a cleric?

Hmmm how about a scarfgon over dragonite. But apart from that good team. Also taunt definitely over eq so the spread you currently have is good.

Maybe a change to the scarftran to like to the standard CB sizor.

scarfgon and scizor gives you a nice scouting and revenging duo to help support the core of gyarajoltloom. But other than that I have nothing to say.

Seems very very heavy stall weak. Each member of a stall team can wall your current members on this team.

I don't see the reason to run dual revenge-killers in Dragonite and Heatran. Heatran does fine alone as a sole revenge-killer, so Dragonite is redundant in that role, and quite frankly it has much better options that simply revenge-killing. Since you're stall weak, run the MixNite set in the analysis. Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Superpower / Roost should cover your stall problems easily, and Roost eases the prediction-based nature of the set.

On Jolteon, I recommend HP Grass over Ice. Thunderbolt already hits Salamence, Kingdra, and Dragonite hard enough, and Ice is only really useful for Flygon. I'd much rather you hit Swampert for the surprise KO and allow Dragonite to abuse its moves if you take the suggested change above.

Everything else looks decent.

Having Dragonite as a wall breaker probably is a better idea; after looking it over, the team is pretty stall-weak. That mixed sweeper set might be a better idea. This makes swapping it out for Celebi all but impossible, then. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)