Terrakion

^I was just about to mention the fact Holy Sword ignores your opponent's stat changes, and it has a reliable BP. Certainly no CC but it's darn good for a signature move.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I've been running Rock Polish and I think it's definitely the best set Terakion can run. It gets amazing coverage with STAB Close Combat and Stone Edge and has massive attack. With LO and +2 speed it completely rips shit up.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I'm agreeing with Locopoke here. The spread I used was 96 HP / 252 Attack / 160 Spe Adamant - that outruns Scarf Skymin and slower. I was thinking of dropping to Scarfchomp-level, however, as the extra bulk would be really nice.

I'm not trying to compare Rock Polish with Swords Dance because the two have completely different counters and completely different functions, but I think the latter would be the more competent sweeper. Compared to SD Lucario, a premier force of gen IV, it has greater speed, greater attack, an arguably better ability and better STAB. Thanks to a more powerful Close Combat/Stone Edge, it can function as an early game wall-breaker as well.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
The thing is, Terakion doesn't really need a Swords Dance boost to tear through most offensive teams, especially if Spikes are down. I am now actually running CC / Stone Edge / Rock Polish / Swords Dance with a slow Rock Polish spread; if the opposing team is defensive, it has the option of SDing and breaking down problem walls like defensive Gyarados.

Yeah okay. So SD > Stall and RP > Offence, that's pretty cool. One loss though would be Terakion losing the ability to abuse its decent speed to revenge Infernape/MixMence/Zapdos since you'll be carrying an Adamant nature with less Spe EVs.

I'm thinking a spread of HP 80 / ATK 252 / SPE 176 with an Adamant nature is best since that makes him faster than a max speed Kingdra in the Rain. I just think Swift Swimmers and Chlorophyll users are the number one goal to out speed with a Rock Polish set so they can't revenge kill you. The most threating thing at that point is a Kabutops trying to revenge you with Aqua Jet, and without Swords Dance that does less than half (41.1% - 48.4%), more than enough to let you OHKO him with Sacred Sword or Close Combat.

EDIT: OK, I miscalculated on the Aqua Jet Damage because I forgot to add Tera's types. Aqua Jet actually does 82.2% - 96.8% on the standard set without an SD boost. So, yea, he revenges you. You might want to team him up with Nuttre or the Water/Ghost to sponge those types of things.

if its already weak to most priority moves, i dont see why you cant use this set:
Adamant
252 attack/252 Speed/4 defense @Salac berry
Substitute
Swords dance
Close Combat
Stone edge
this set seems to be good on paper, if anyone could issue any problems could they say so. (no SS weakness :D)

dbolt in the Research Thread tested out Justice Heart and it does NOT grant an immunity to Dark type attacks. They still get the attack boost, but they also still take damage. That puts a small hamper in my Espeon/Terakion combo I had planned, but it's not like he takes huge damage from non boosted Dark attacks.

@ChaZanG1
While he is weak to most priority attacks, bulk is always appreciated, and when it can be given, it should be. Terakion is so powerful and fast that he can spare a handful of EVs to improve his bulk.

The thing is, Terakion doesn't really need a Swords Dance boost to tear through most offensive teams, especially if Spikes are down. I am now actually running CC / Stone Edge / Rock Polish / Swords Dance with a slow Rock Polish spread; if the opposing team is defensive, it has the option of SDing and breaking down problem walls like defensive Gyarados.
This is true; the bulk difference between Stall and Offense is huge. However, you might want to consider Swords Dance because even with 129 base Attack, a lot of common stuff like Garchomp can just about take an unboosted CC and easily OHKO back.

Also, I doubt Terakion is going to be tearing through offensive teams any time soon because most of them will run at least two Pokemon with higher Speed than it. Rock Polish is definitely more valuable than Swords Dance.

I ahve seen some guys saying tehe xtra bulk would be useful but i dont see how it would be afetr it has got its sword dance / rock polish. Wouldnt close combat be his primary offensive move? That lowers his def and spdef each time so it would be a waste of evs imo.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It seems Terakion will be able to come in on most Tyranitar sets with impunity, possibly getting a +1 Attack with Justice Heart as well. +3 LO STAB Close Combat off 129 base Atk is going to destroy everything, and it's not like it needs a form of priority with its impressive base 108 speed. In the sand it is also has pretty great bulk on the special side, not too much weaker than Tyranitar, and so it can come in on most neutral special attacks in the sand and threaten them out with its amazing dual stab combination. This is a seriously fine tuned sweeping machine :D.

Running Terakion in the sand also helps it out. It has almost as much special defense as Tyranitar, so it winds up being very difficult to ohko on the special side where a good number of its weaknesses seem to gravitate.

+3 Close Combat will be overkill.

I think that Sword attack will be superior, because Close Combat makes you more vulnerable to Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet.

I know this isn't a competitive question, but is this one of the pseudo legendary pokes?
Like are the horses the legendary birds/gophers/regis/pixies of 5th gen?

Yeah, although Pseudo-Legendary usually refers to D-Nite, T-Tar, Metagross, etc...
But yeah, same type thing as far as trios go... although apparently there's a fourth, the Water-Fighting one, which has it's high stat in Spec. attack. I think it's an event poke, though

Not sure why people wouldn't consider Quick Attack in the final slot on the SD set. Sure it's no Extremespeed, but it is priority all the same, allowing you to get the jump over other priority moves coming your way (likely with 108 base). Besides, with the much higher Attack and possible Justice boost, QA can quickly approach more respectable damage to rival Luke's X-Speed, plus it isn't like there are many good coverage options to go alongside Fighting / Rock STAB anyway.

I love the design of Terakion, and it should be a top tier Pokemon this generation. It does suffer from priority attacks overall. Weakness to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch do his good speed no favors.

I don't see why not there aren't more hype over this thing. 129 Attack, 108 Speed, STAB Rock and Fighting with Justice Heart possibly raising its Attack even higher, access to Swords Dance, STAB Close Combat, it is a monster. Goruugu may be able to wall it a bit with its Ghost/Ground typing and hit it with STAB Earthquake; few others can stop its sweep, but still, this thing is serious business.

It's also a quite nice CB User.

I'm thinking:

Terakion @ Life Orb
Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Sp

- Rock Polish
- Sacred Sword
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Speed nature with max investment in Attack, with split HP / Speed. I don't like Combat, because I want Terakion to keep its bulk and be able to take hits from Mach or Jet. Taunt prevents phazing, healing, twave, and will-o-wisp (although the burn chance on boiling water is extremely dangerous). All in all, this guy has great potential.

Support Options

+ Sazandora resists Water & Grass and is immune to Psych & Ground, and can dispose of Ghosts that want to switch into Tera.
+ Burunkeru can switch into Water, Fight, and Steel and can cripple the opponent with status.
+ Nattorei resists Water, Grass, Steel, & Psych, possible entry hazard, leech set-up
+ Urgamoth can switch into Grass, Fighting, & Steel, and can absorb Wisp

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking:

Terakion @ Life Orb
Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Sp

- Rock Polish
- Sacred Sword
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Speed nature with max investment in Attack, with split HP / Speed. I don't like Combat, because I want Terakion to keep its bulk and be able to take hits from Mach or Jet. Taunt prevents phazing, healing, twave, and will-o-wisp (although the burn chance on boiling water is extremely dangerous). All in all, this guy has great potential.

Support Options

+ Sazandora resists Water & Grass and is immune to Psych & Ground, and can dispose of Ghosts that want to switch into Tera.
+ Burunkeru can switch into Water, Fight, and Steel and can cripple the opponent with status.
+ Nattorei resists Water, Grass, Steel, & Psych, possible entry hazard, leech set-up
+ Urgamoth can switch into Grass, Fighting, & Steel, and can absorb Wisp
Not sure about Taunt here. The premise of +2 Speed sets is to sweep as hard as possible, not wallbreak (unless we're talking Gliscor + Metagross here), so Terakion, in my opinion and experience, is better off firing off gunshots in terms of Rock Polish. Swords Dance makes better use of Taunt because, well...things just can't take Terakion's attacks after a Dance.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. I suppose a Double Dance would be the way to go on this one. I was casually thinking X Scissor as an option to cover Grass/Psychic switch ins, but SD Edge & Sword would be able to take them out anyways.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Ah yeah, that makes sense. I suppose a Double Dance would be the way to go on this one. I was casually thinking X Scissor as an option to cover Grass/Psychic switch ins, but SD Edge & Sword would be able to take them out anyways.
i wouldn't use SD over Taunt its a more bulky set so taunt has great utility on opponents that try to status/phaze you much like bulky gyarados. Double Dance is better for more offensive sets with CC where you just use the boost you need to sweep the opponents team the best option would be X-Scissor or maybe EQ for a third attack but Fighting/Rock got great coverage so i think taunt is the best option for the last slot.
On another note i maybe would use SD rather than rockpolish since 108 base speed is already high and he would love the power boost to muscle through slower walls and take the hits of weaker but faster opponents and KO in Return.

He really got the defensive stats to abuse more bulky sets to not get wrecked by the now more common mach punch.

So maybe something like this

Terakion
192 HP/64 Atk/252 Spe
Nature:Jolly
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
-Swords Dance
-Sacred Sword
-Stone Edge
-Taunt/X-Scissor/EQ

I didnt ran any damage calcs because:
a) i am a lazy fuck
b) i didnt found a damage calculator for gen 5 pokes or at least something where you can enter base stats and evs to do the damage calc and as mentioned above i am too lazy to calculate the exact stats by myself.

I would really like if someone would make calcs how he fares aginst Scizors BP and Brelooms and Roopushins Mach Punch.

Would it be such a horrible idea to run both Swords Dance and Rock Polish. Close Combat + Stone Edge don't really need much help coverage-wise, so you could use that flexibility to your advantage. If you don't need the extra power and want to beat that scarfchomp, ss doryuuzu, deoxys-e or whatever you go Rock Polish. SD if your aim is to break stall or a very defensive team.

Terakion @ Life Orb
Jolly 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Rock Polish

Good vs offensive and stall. Terakion has the perfect build for it.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Would it be such a horrible idea to run both Swords Dance and Rock Polish.
Ofc not its a pretty good idea it just wouldn't be that useful running it on a bulky set (he isnt that bulky that he will ever get 2 boosts, unless you opponent wants too loose^^).

For a fully offensive Set with LO and CC its one of his best options since as you said he seems to be made for sets like this getting the perfect stats and stab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)