The Everything NFL Offseason Thread - 2010

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Just what the title says. The Super Bowl has been determined, there is a lull in the action until the draft (unless you count the labor negotiations shenanigans), and the old thread had become pretty large and unwieldy.

So how 'bout dem labor negotiations (or lack thereof)?

Yeah, I'm guessing at this rate it'll take the summer to get any sort of CBA set in.

Lemme see...I really am hoping the Niners let go of Asshole (Alex) Smith, he's been a lame duck forever. And yet, there's talk Harbaugh wants to keep him even if temporary just because he's familiar with the Niners...I hope he sees reason and dumps his ass, even a rookie could probably put up better numbers than Idiot Smith (and some probably have).

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You could always hope they pull a Trent Edwards and start him for two games (because he looks so good in practice/preseason when the defense isn't trying) and release him because he's so terrible.

Nah, he's a free agent right now, he just needs to gtfo and become relegated to 3rd stringer status on some other team.

What else...as for solving the QB issue, outside of making a likely run for McNabb (yeah, we all know Redskins likely won't keep him) or Kolb (because we know he'll be unhappy if forced to play 2nd fiddle to Vick since he's ready to start now), I'd look at developing Troy Smith a bit more; he looked solid in the games he played with virtually no knowledge of the playbook since he just got acquired, so maybe with some more tutelage from a new staff they could move forward.

That or the only real other alternative is the draft...maybe if one writes off this next year as a losing year, Luck could be drafted next year. I personally wouldn't take a roll by trying to move up and take Cam Newton, sure he has great physical gifts, but 1 year of big school college experience does not a QB make, so unless a good pick falls into R2 or 3 or is otherwise a steal, I probably wouldn't draft one.

Well, looks like the Eagles just gave Vick the franchise tag. Kolb probably wants to be traded now; hell, if I could start, I would want to be traded as well.

Stats on the NFC West the past few years:

Record in non-divisional games: 12-28 in 2007, 10-30 in 2008, 12-28 in 2009, 13-27 in 2010.

Record against non-divisional NFC teams in 2010: 6-18

Record against NFC South teams in 2010: 3-13 (One of the teams was Carolina!)

Funny enough, the division with the most wins in 2010 was the NFC South (36 wins). In 2009, it was the AFC South (38 wins), and in 2008, it was a 3-way tie, two of the divisions being the AFC East and NFC East. The common correlation? All of these divisions played the NFC West!

I know he's overrated, but it's interesting to see where Carson Palmer will land next season. He's certainly not elite and most likely not even a top 10 quarterback, but an average quarterback can do great things on a good team. Obvious destinations include Minnesota, San Francisco, and Arizona, but he could wind up Washington or Oakland or something. He would probably mean at least 2-3 wins to those first 3 teams if they could get him.

Meh, Palmer is washed up imo, he hasn't had a good year for what, 5 years now?

Certainly I can see Cardinals being interested if they've gotten over that bitter pill Anderson was (another washed up vet mind you that they wanted to lead the team, though hell I'd say even Palmer has more upside than him). Vikings definitely need someone as well, highly doubt they're sticking with Tavaris or whoever their rookie was. Oakland I kinda doubt, they have Campbell and between him and Gradowski (when not injured), they get they job done, not to mention they seem to be more run first. Washington is definitely a possibility as well if McNabb leaves and they get over son Shanahan's love affair with Rex Grossman.

I dunno...I mean, Carolina has Clausen, and you can't really judge 1 bad year considering how absolutely shitty the Panthers were, basically feeding him to the wolves. He might have upside yet...but yeah, you pretty much draft for talent, and Newton has talent, though I still question how well he'll transit to the pro game after only 1 year starting experience for a big school.

Meh, Palmer is washed up imo, he hasn't had a good year for what, 5 years now?
He certainly hasn't had good years, but an average quarterback is what Arizona and Minnesota need, and it would certainly help SF a lot. It's difficult to find good or even decent QBs, and Carson Palmer for two years would win more games than any rookie QB, provided those teams could even draft a good one at their respective draft positions.

Carolina has a lot of glaring needs and only 1 "good" draft pick to spend on them. It would be a huge risk to take Newton with the first pick, more than Bradford last year and Stafford the year before, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went with him. Still, the defensive line is what makes the defense, and a good lineman can improve them from a good defense to a great one. I suppose you do have to do something about the anemic offense, but hopefully they'll get some kind of help in free agency.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I have a feeling Cam Newton is gonna be just awful in the NFL if he plays Quarterback. He's athletic enough that they can effectively change his position, but the League isn't man enough to ever do that to a big name College QB, so Cam's gonna play in early Vick career mediocrity, looks flashy and does nothing important.

Yeah, a lockout is a loss-loss for everyone...in the end it's all about greed on both sides from all the bickering I've seen; everyone wants more of the pie that is $9 billion. One way or another they'll find a way to split it and make everyone involved content.

I'm really anxious/excited to see who my Vikings draft at QB. I'd immediately scream Ryan Mallet, but there are some other I'm interested in. Plus, I really want Kellen Moore next year.

Besides that, I expect our Offensive Line to change drastically, it was the biggest problem with our team. And the rest will probably be out there, although another receiver would be amazing (Could easily be the best in NFL).

Oh, and Scam Newton is going to be in the league 3 years, get $1,180,000 and then totally fail.

I'm really anxious/excited to see who my Vikings draft at QB. I'd immediately scream Ryan Mallet, but there are some other I'm interested in. Plus, I really want Kellen Moore next year.

Besides that, I expect our Offensive Line to change drastically, it was the biggest problem with our team. And the rest will probably be out there, although another receiver would be amazing (Could easily be the best in NFL).

Oh, and Scam Newton is going to be in the league 3 years, get $1,180,000 and then totally fail.
Umm, where are you getting the whole $1,180,000 from? I thought all the first roudners usually got a whole boatload of guaranteed money, unless you're thinking Newton might fall lower.

But yeah it'll be interesting to see what the Vikings do, draft or make a run at one of the hot names on the market.

Which is the reason most rookies (except the later rounds) won't sign until the new deal is done! Unless, of course, they can't sign until the deal is done, not too sure about that.

John Fox has said that Kyle Orton will be starting next year in place of Tim Tebow. While this seems to make perfect sense given last year's stats, I'm not sure it was the right one. Orton did only complete 58.8% of his passes, but had a 20-9 TD-Int ratio and 3650 yards playing only 13 games. However, Tebow was going to be the "franchise quarterback" of the organization, and while starting Orton now gives them a better shot at winning, it might hinder Tebow's progression. When you consider that Denver is not a team that should plan on winning immediately, I'm not exactly sure it was the right call.

Meh, I was under the impression that teams could still sign rookies regardless of a CBA...guess not. All depends on if they even implement a scaling rookie wage as well.

As for Orton/Tebow, Orton is just an injury away from being replaced...that and sure it's easy for Fox to say that Orton will start now when the start of the season is still over 6 months away; anything can happen inbetween, whether it's a trade, competition in camp, etc etc. Tebow looked pretty good in his 3 starts, but at the same time, you shouldn't just hand everything over to him after just 3 glimpses when you already have a solid veteran like Orton was last year till injury.

Umm, where are you getting the whole $1,180,000 from?
The Newton thing was a joke, because he was supposedly offer $180,000 to play college football.

I heard Mel Kiper attacking Colin Kaepernick, I'm interested to see where he goes. Looks to be drafted late, but he has the potential to be good.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think keeping Tebow behind Orton for a little while longer is the right move. You don't want to throw him into it too early or he'll lose his confidence when he starts getting pummeled. When you have a capable veteran like Orton on the roster who is healthy, you want to take full advantage of the opportunity to groom your young QB and work him in as gradually as possible. Some teams throw their rookies to the wolves out of necessity because they don't HAVE an asset like Orton. When you have that kind of asset, it's silly to let it go to waste.

Anyone has the potential to be good, but I have to put Newton and Locker ahead of Kaepernick. Everyone loves Gabbert some reason. Ryan Mallet, if taught to be a bit more mobile, would also be very good as well.

Anyone has the potential to be good, but I have to put Newton and Locker ahead of Kaepernick. Everyone loves Gabbert some reason. Ryan Mallet, if taught to be a bit more mobile, would also be very good as well.
Wasn't arguing that they weren't better, but I think he's interesting and want to asterisk him during the draft.

But, on the topic of Locker, I feel like he's as big a "maybe" as Newton. He didn't complete a high percentage of passes at Washington and his TD-Int ratio wasn't stellar. He also has his tendency to run alot. That might be the lack of supporting cast, but I'd think that someone as highly regarded as him would have more impressive numbers.

Also, I had the idea of Donovan McNabb coming to the Vikings for 2-3 years to start and get [Insert '11/'12 Draft Pick QB here] some extra experience/teaching.

And just because his name needs to always be mentioned in football, Brett Favre.

Honestly Locker hurt his own value by not entering the draft last year, when it was at its highest. Instead, now due to a relatively bad year, his stock is falling and he's not gonna make the $70 million Bradford did.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Please keep in mind that no one ever again will make the $70 million Bradford did.

Honestly Locker hurt his own value by not entering the draft last year, when it was at its highest. Instead, now due to a relatively bad year, his stock is falling and he's not gonna make the $70 million Bradford did.
I think it was maybe the most intelligently, heartwarmingly "not caring about money" you can see, also really fucking stupid...you could donate the money to charity while finishing your degree and playing!! He may have given up as much as like $30 million, without knowing him you cannot know for sure, but this may just be one awesomely "upright" dude.

Please keep in mind that no one ever again will make the $70 million Bradford did.
I thought Andrew Luck was expected to be given $50 million for entering the draft then an extra $15 million so he'd finish with $65 million?
That's what I heard. If he does well this year in college he could be making at least $5 million more.
But this was a while ago and I don't really remember it that much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)