The Everything NHL Thread

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Think that hit on Eller was clean but obviously you can see the result. Judging by replays, don't see any sort of charge or any intended hit to the head. Looks like primarily shoulder to body with a bit of head contact. Don't think he'll be disciplined.

Think that hit on Eller was clean but obviously you can see the result. Judging by replays, don't see any sort of charge or any intended hit to the head. Looks like primarily shoulder to body with a bit of head contact. Don't think he'll be disciplined.
My biggest issue with all of these big hits is the amount of body armor that players get to wear now. Every hockey player is completely covered with hard plastic. There are several cons to all of this:

1) Players have no fear at all to block a shot because it won't hurt. Nobody likes watching games with boring teams clogging up the slot and blocking everything that comes to the net.

2) Players don't give a shit about throwing their bodies around like wrecking balls because they don't feel anything. I guarantee if they were wearing much softer pads then they wouldn't be throwing a lot of these hits because it would actually hurt themselves as well. They would be more likely to throw some hip checks or just push people to separate them from the puck. Remember why body checks are allowed? It's to separate a skater from the puck and not turn their brain into liquefied jelly.

I'm just getting tired of seeing these huge hits where there is incidental contact to the head and everything is fine because it wasn't the "principal point of contact." It's ridiculous. If they suspended every player that hit somebody in the head incidentally, then players would make a more concerted effort to make a clean hit to the body like they are supposed to do.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
posting express regret at predicting habs to get through a round, not sure what i was thinking there
I don't know man, 50 shots on goal in 60 minutes isn't enough? 10 takeaways to 1? I don't think the Sens can win 4 games this way. Or perhaps they can as long as Anderson > Price.

.. and they wont get major penalty every game.

If it is fifty of the type of shots that Montreal was getting for most of game one I think Ottawa will do it. Anderson's been facing huge amounts of shots for a long time (top 5 most allowed both years in Ottawa and his last year in Florida, top 10 the years in Colorado) and has been putting up amazing numbers the whole time. I would definitely be worried about allowing that many to get through if I was a Senators fan, but I think it's gotta be more about quality against Anderson... he doesn't let in weak goals often enough to get it done on volume.

I just don't think the Habs have the right offensive players to get the puck in the net enough to win if they don't get a bunch of power plays. They just seem more like the Capitals than the Penguins to me from a personnel perspective, going to have a hard time scoring in a playoff atmosphere.

Eraddd

One Pixel
My biggest issue with all of these big hits is the amount of body armor that players get to wear now. Every hockey player is completely covered with hard plastic. There are several cons to all of this:

1) Players have no fear at all to block a shot because it won't hurt. Nobody likes watching games with boring teams clogging up the slot and blocking everything that comes to the net.

2) Players don't give a shit about throwing their bodies around like wrecking balls because they don't feel anything. I guarantee if they were wearing much softer pads then they wouldn't be throwing a lot of these hits because it would actually hurt themselves as well. They would be more likely to throw some hip checks or just push people to separate them from the puck. Remember why body checks are allowed? It's to separate a skater from the puck and not turn their brain into liquefied jelly.

I'm just getting tired of seeing these huge hits where there is incidental contact to the head and everything is fine because it wasn't the "principal point of contact." It's ridiculous. If they suspended every player that hit somebody in the head incidentally, then players would make a more concerted effort to make a clean hit to the body like they are supposed to do.
I agree with you on the point about body armor and the hits. However, I'm not too sure that it's possible to eliminate head contact from the game completely due to size differences, players positioning themselves low and the fact that with bigger hits, there's usually some form of head contact. I'm not even sure that the head contact mattered in Eller's case since people are speculating that his head hitting the ice did majority of the damage; fairly sure you can see him go down face first unless I've been looking at a bad angle.

On the subject of making an effort to make the clean hit I present to you Exhibit 1 of what not to do:

Eller went down face first because he had a concussion and was passed out. His body was already lifeless before he landed.

Also, Dustin Brown has been a dirty player his entire career but doesn't have a bad reputation because he is a "hard working captain" like Shane Doan.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Eller went down face first because he had a concussion and was passed out. His body was already lifeless before he landed.

Also, Dustin Brown has been a dirty player his entire career but doesn't have a bad reputation because he is a "hard working captain" like Shane Doan.
Fair enough. Gryba suspended for 2 games. Gonna wait to see what Shanny says.

Since he wasn't on IRC this time:

<~Synre> hahaha
<~Synre> what was it you asshole canucks fans said last night
<~Synre> hooray, overtime hockey?
<~Synre> get fucked eraddd wherever you are enjoy the other side of this

then later overtime added hilarity

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
_______/\_____________\o/________
___________/\_________\o/________
_______________/\_____\o/________
___________________/\_\o/________
______________________/\_________
_________________________/\______
_________SHARK ATTACK!!!__________

Get under your skin again did I, kid?

Your team is still down 0-2 with two road games coming up. Wasn't your team supposed to be contending for the cup this year? The Red Wings are a 6-10 team playing like a 6-10 team, but they're still only a game away from tying the series back up. Your team is choking, again. Enjoy your first round exit.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Not really. Knew the Canucks aren't playing as well so it's no surprise we're down 2-0.

On the other hand you seemed to take an exception to me cheering the ducks for an OT with really no investment on either side so that's pretty funny I guess.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Coming from the guy butthurt because I cheered against the wings out of no intention of angering anyone right.

Said Eraddd, replying to the same bait for the third time

On a note for everyone else, I was sort of following the Reddit game threads today and thought it was funny how much the Rangers fans, then Red Wings fans, then Blues fans blamed the refs for their respective losses. I mean, there's some iffy calls every game, but the complaining in this case blows my mind even as someone who likes to complain about the officiating a lot because none of those teams scored ANY goals. How do you blame the refs when you didn't even get one past the enemy tender? There's nothing the refs can do to help you if you can't score any. As much as I would have preferred the Wings to win (and even as a Caps fan I like the Rangers enough that I'd feel better if that series went seven), not going to blame the refs when the Wings blew that many PPs...

Really odd day of hockey though, it being difficult to score during the playoffs is nothing new but this was sure an anticlimactic day. I was coming home from the bar during the second two Ducks goals so in about 9 periods of hockey I saw between the NYR/WSH, DET/ANA, and STL/LAK games I saw a grand total of 4 goals get scored... slow day.

Eraddd

One Pixel
The implied bait being making a mountain out of a molehill about one comment I said. Really you should stop.

Regarding the Leafs-Bruins game, really liked how Carlyle's line adjustments changed their focus and changed their gameplay to shut the Bruins down while adding goals of their own. Playoffs are all about how you can play your next move to adjust to your opponent's last and Carlyle showed he can play with the best of them. Didn't like how Bruins played their fourth line at the last 10 seconds of the game, but at least Thornton fought Fraser instead of roughing up a physically weaker player which I can respect at least.

The terrible officiating happens EVERY year. From the middle of the season until the end of the playoffs the referees start allowing teams to play more physical and get away with more interference. I personally find it extremely annoying and wish they would make calls with consistency from game 1 of the regular season until the last game of the Stanley Cup finals. Some teams like to chip/dump the puck in and chase it more often than others, so fans of those teams would probably be more likely to complain about the horrible officiating. Teams that play physical games all year round will have the advantage in the playoffs because the refs will be less likely to call things based on their style of play. I watched some of the Blues/Kings game last night, and I noticed the Kings were getting away with a tremendous amount of interference every time the Blues had a power play. Keep in mind that the Blues have consistently had a top PP all year long, so it's not like they are just a shitty power play team that doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

Also the stupid bickering back and forth between you 2 over nothing is making this thread as bad as the NFL thread.

I don't even know if the officiating is that terrible (beyond them being consistently afraid to call anything that isn't Delay of Game or a hook/trip that stops an obvious scoring chance), people just love a scapegoat. The worst for me right now is the Abdelkader thing since my entire Facebook feed is people talking about how that was a clean hit... I like to pretend the fans here are less stupid than they are because it is a traditional hockey market or whatever but this is really hurting the illusion.

man what an insane game in ottawa tonight, probably the craziest sens game i've seen since the legendary ottawa/buffalo brawl in 2007. hopefully it doesn't lull the team or fans into a false sense of security because you rarely see montreal (or any team for that matter) get blown out so badly. i'm excited to hear soundbites from coaches and players tomorrow since tempers were seriously flaring tonight

didn't really like the sens fans mocking montreal's ole chants but i couldn't help but laugh when they substituted "ole" for "pageau" lol. really nice to see a guy who's only been playing in the nhl for a month do so well

I was partial to Therrien complaining about the timeout being classless after his team spent half the third period picking fights and trying to deliver cheap shots

He's always been a whiner, not really sure how he managed to get employed again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)