The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Yeah, like I said, I'm not gonna risk it. I still baby it as much as I can, even when I feel I don't need a knee brace, I still push myself to put it on. It's easy to get carried away right now and go all out and do some stupid shit thinking I'm good, and it can turn out worse, but I got my head right and I'm still gonna let it recover until December probably.

Appreciate the words WB and Lee.

I've never heard of a short-stick defenseman, that makes no sense. Long-stick is hard to catch and throw at first, but damn is it fun to poke check with those monsters. Tough position though, don't play D unless you have fast feet and can cover a person.

Middie is great, that's what I played, but you'd better have endurance because it's both offense and defense, and when there's a fast break you're sprinting the other way.

Attack is the easiest position because, really, you do the least. You're not responsible for defense unless a middie gets trapped low and you take their spot up top, the only thing you do is try to score.
Thanks dude :) I had my first practice recently and surprisingly I did alright! I already made the cuts, and right now I'm thinking of being in the attack position, as I was pretty good at scoring.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey guys i know this isnt a medical advice thread but I thought I would ask.

ive been doing a lot of interval training recently (sprints) and ive got what i think is a shin splint (basically pain free until I try to sprint then it feels really ginger on my right shin)

is this injury the kind of thing that you need to just rest for a period of time or should I try to ease my way back into sprinting with some light jogs.
Shin splints are a BITCH. I had them in high school, and honestly all I could do was have the trainer wrap my shins before practice because I couldn't run otherwise. They eventually went away on their own, there's not much you can do but some toe flexors/circles.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I never have time to go to the gym and I kind of would like to build muscle in my life, I'm skinny as sin so they look really defined but they're really just sacks of air basically.

I tried googling around for answers but basically since I have no time to go to the gym I thought doing several kinds of pushups (military, under and over, wide set) would strengthen my core, chest, arms, back, and shoulders. The only problem is I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I do a lot of all kinds of pushups in one day then take a rest day? Or is it because they're pushups I don't need to worry about that kind of thing?

EDIT:

I mean it doesn't just have to be pushups, I can squat (that's where I put my back to a wall and squat and see how long I can do it, and not the machine at the gym, right?) and do situps and stuff, but I heard situps aren't good for you so I'm trying to avoid that.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
And terrible for your knees.

Invest in a pull up bar Genny, you can get one for next to nothing. A simple chin up/push up superset is one of my primary workouts since you can blast the whole upper body in next to no time (chin ups target biceps and back whereas push ups target triceps and chest so there's nice opposing synergy...see Schwarzaneggers famous chest/back routine that employed this principle). In time you can increase reps or sling on a heavy backpack so there is room for progression and, like you said, you can throw in variations of the exercises too.

As for how many, just listen to your body for now. Do as many as you can and see how you feel in the morning and then take it from there. You won't need to rest as often as you would after heavy lifting but don't push yourself if you're notably sore.

When my knees hurt a lot after running, does it mean I'm doing something wrong? I've started running long distances now for some personal training, up and down the hills, wearing running shoes that are relatively new. Anyway, is a big discomfort at the knees right after and the next day normal, or is it a major red flag and a sign that I should stop whatever I am doing? I also am doing other exercizes that might be cultprit, though none of them are the same intensity, or work different parts of the body. The pain usually prevents me from walking right.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Running is no good for your knees at all. Ruins cartalidge. Low impact sports like biking are way better.

EDIT:

Nope! Apparently that is a myth that I have helped spread. oops. Though I do like biking more than running :x

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
You're just not used to it. "Started" and "running long distance" really gives it away. It is unlikely for somebody to seriously injure their knee from running alone, honestly. The pain and soreness is just just a sign of you putting work in. If it becomes constant, take some advil and get back to it. There's nothing you can really do about soreness, it's just pain you have to deal with, like every other athlete. You should feel better support in a few months, after you've done it for a while. If the pain is to persist after months, maybe asking a doctor might be the way to go.

I'm not doctor, but I'm fairly familiar with knee dilemmas. I can pretty much say running will not cause a serious MCL/ACL/PCL/LCL rupture, unless you like fall in a hole or something.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Venom is probably right but note that the most common cause of overuse injuries in runners are as a result of increasing mileage too quickly and if you've just started long-distance running then there's a chance you've aggravated something. I see you already play sport so you presumably have a good idea of how fatigue and muscle pains are supposed to feel and if this knee pain feels altogetherly different to that then I'd play it safe. Curiously, when did you start running and how long have you had the pain for?

@Lee I've been running my whole life occasionally but I started to run every day about a year ago. I only went about a mile the days I ran. On Monday I started to increase my workout to 3 miles a day. I was fine for the first couple of days but yesterday my knees were in my pain after my run. They hurt so much that I couldn't run today and could only do mild upper body workouts.

Matthew

so my joint muscle between my arms and chest are a little sore from my pushup / pullup(thanks lee!) exercise today from the day prior. Is this muscle tearing or just me being unfit as hell? Should I take a rest day if this is the situation?

so my joint muscle between my arms and chest are a little sore from my pushup / pullup(thanks lee!) exercise today from the day prior. Is this muscle tearing or just me being unfit as hell? Should I take a rest day if this is the situation?
This is normal the day after a workout, its a good good sign as it means your muscles will be repairing themselves and growing in size

Lee

@ Thick Club
Yeah, that's your standard 'i just exercised my chest pain.' don't worry about it, it means you did a good job. But yeah wait until the pain subsides (or at least mostly subsides) before training again. The pain is your bodys way of telling you it needs a little longer to recover.

When my knees hurt a lot after running, does it mean I'm doing something wrong? I've started running long distances now for some personal training, up and down the hills, wearing running shoes that are relatively new. Anyway, is a big discomfort at the knees right after and the next day normal, or is it a major red flag and a sign that I should stop whatever I am doing? I also am doing other exercizes that might be cultprit, though none of them are the same intensity, or work different parts of the body. The pain usually prevents me from walking right.
You might want to look up "runner's knee." As others mentioned, it usually starts from upping mileage. In most cases, I would say its nothing, but apparently there are a few cases where it can get bad.

When I started running (for the first few months), I would start limping after running 3-4 miles. It went away eventually and I haven't had any problems since.

They also sell these cheap straps that wrap around the bottom of your knee and give you support when you run.

Regardless if its runner's knee or not, try running on softer surfaces like grass when possible.

avatar korra, if you are just starting to run, a good habit is to try and run quietly. if you tell your footsteps to quiet down, 90% of your form problems will self-correct themselves. this combined with adequate rest should take away all your knee issues

What kind of routine are you doing? I'm feeling motivated to try something similar

Lee

@ Thick Club
No idea who he is so googled him and, not wanting to disrespect the dead, but the guy was never far from steroid allegations and died of a massive heart attack at the age of 22. He shouldn't be idolised or revered as a role model.

Shame though, RIP.

No idea who he is so googled him and, not wanting to disrespect the dead, but the guy was never far from steroid allegations and died of a massive heart attack at the age of 22. He shouldn't be idolised or revered as a role model.

Shame though, RIP.
His wikipedia page really doesnt do him justice, whilst he admitted to steroid use in the past he never publicly encouraged steroid and drug use once he became more popular, furthermore the official cause of death is stated as a conegnital heart defect so any assumptions about steroids contributing to his death are just speculation. Many top athletes and fitness models are idolised and reverred as role models and its fair to say a great deal of them have or currently dope and take pro-hormones and anabolics (whilst publicly denouncing them), many current olympic heroes and hopefuls probably fall under this category too (even people like lance armstrong are now coming under fire with doping allegations from former teammates). If you do a bit more research into him i think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you find, his formspring and simply shredded interview are a good place to see what he was really about and his message, which was to "train hard, enjoy life and not take yourself too seriously". Whilst some aspects of his life aren't particularly admirable to some, his overall philosophy is something to aspire to, and makes him a worthy role model in my eyes.

Lee

@ Thick Club
I am intrigued enough that I probably will look into him further; whatever his faults, it seems as though he managed to inspire and motivate a great deal of people with his tragically short life and that is commendable.

But I am fundamentally opposed to his philosopy; an aesthetically driven, Jersey Shore-reminiscent pursuit to impress girls, fuelled by egocentricity and superficiality. The man openly recommended that people don't do cardio and said that 'the more uncomfortable and pain you feel, the greater end result.' that advice borders on idiotic. His motto of 'Get shredded so the chicks be "mirin" and the guys be "jelly" is everything that is wrong with the current generation of gym-goers.

Train to get stronger, faster, fitter, healthier and more physically able and enjoy any aesthetic benefits that come your way as a result. For the love of god, don't allow your workouts to be driven by vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)