The Manga Thread

I read some Highschool of the Dead recently. It annoyed the heck out of me.(Completely outclassed by The Walking Dead by the way. Just saying.) I don't like most anime/manga from the year 2000+ I guess.

However, at my local Booksamillion, I checked out the Rockman Megamix, and enjoyed reading it!

Ill post about my favorite Manga, Berserk! Berserk is a dark and gritty tale, ongoing 38 books in. they release chapter at different intervals in the magazine young animal. The first 13 books are now fantasy, then it turns to a low fantasy dark and gritty setting for another id say 10 books. After that I don't consider it low fantasy anymore, and I certainly don't like the way the series is heading, but it's the kind of series that you really like to see the end. Id recommend it for a mature audience, due to the fact there is violence blood and gore and some nudity. If there is any fellow Berserk readers, let me know what you think.

I generally read One Piece, Bleach and Fairy Tail once a week just to keep myself occupied.

One Piece is great. There's nothing else to be said. Everything is just so well organized that you really have to appreciate Oda's talent.

Bleach is kinda, to use a silly analogy, like a person who's falling off a cliff but hits some trampolines on the way down. It was really solid for the Soul Society arc but then it just went downhill. Some parts of it afterward are sort of "hey cool!" but the bounce back from the trampoline will never get back to the top of the cliff. I don't know where the new arc is going though but I only hope it won't include more disposable enemies. The Hueco Mundo arc was seriously "here are 200 enemies with funky names" and then 100 chapters later you're pretty much done with all of them.

Fairy Tail is like One Piece but worse, if I had to describe it somehow. Similar art style and battles (and standalone arcs) but the plot as a whole doesn't seem to be advancing much (being a manga about a guild, many of the arcs are just quests) and some of the characters are kinda weak (personality-wise) in comparison to OP's characters. Still, I read it because 1.5 doses of One Piece a week are better than 1.

I've read a bunch of other stuff but all of it's done with (big fan of Death Note, naturally). I also read a manga very similar in style to Death Note called Onani Master Kurosawa but the topic of this manga is rather...extreme. Like, if I say anything in depth about the manga you're going to think I am screwed up in the head, probably. But honestly if you think you have an open mind and actually want to read a good story with strong central themes then you should check it out. Just do me a favor and don't stop after the first chapter. Get to around chapter 6 or so (out of 30) and see if you're not hooked. I know I was.

My, my, so many manga, so little time.

Bleach

Yeah, Bleach has sucked ever since Ulqiuorra died (fucking Aizen how does he work), but I keep reading it even though it should have ended after Aizen got taken down, because honestly I still get some entertainment from it.

Naruto

People have already said this but the quality is constantly fluctuating for this. Currently it's very good.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

This is probably the greatest manga ever. I cannot think of a single flaw to it.

Rurouni Kenshin

Another manga I can't find flaws with. Go read it now.

DBZ

The manga is better than the anime on so many levels it's ridiculous.

Death Note

Greatest mind games ever until L dies. Still good afterwards, but not as much as before.

i've been reading Shaman King on and off for a while now, it's great if you're into supernatural stuff. starts off pretty slow, but it picks up really quickly after the first book. i'm about halfway through the series and it's still solid.

Shaman King is great until near the end, but like with a ton of other manga/anime (Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ, Naruto off the top of my head), it hits a point where the main characters just go through a ridiculous power spike and it's pretty tough to follow after that. I can't say more without spoilers but you'll know what I mean when it hits. The series just got sloppy near the end, which is unfortunate. I'm not trying to dissuade you from reading it, I'm just pointing out the flaw that kept it from being (by my standards) great. I actually need to read it again now that it has a legitimate finish (I read it when they cancelled it several chapters from the end, but they rereleased it with a proper finish like a year or two ago).

I've never been huge on manga so I can't contribute much but Rave Master was pretty enjoyable. I'm a sucker for classic good vs. evil nonsense.

Shaman King is fantastic, there was a huge delay in publishing the end because Shonen Jump is retarded, but it's all good now. One of my favourites as a kid, but the anime's just not as good.

DBZ has a lot of filler in the anime Zoro, other than that I'm not really sure how much different it is. It probably feels like it's moving faster since you can kind of skim through the action sequences pretty quickly.

Rurouni Kenshin is also one of the best I've ever read. Where Busou Renkin is a fairly straightforward/typical (but entertaining) Shonen manga, Rurouni Kenshin is an intricate and emotional tale that's absolutely beautifully drawn. Check it out.

Ugh, I hated Naruto (to shaky to keep my attention, stopped after first major arc) and Bleach (stopped near beginning of arrancar arc, much worse than soul society which was pretty good). Fairy Tail from the start was absolute trash so I didn't get through that much. Prince of Tennis started out nice, but got idiotic in the Tokyo tournament. Eyeshield, again, started out good but got pretty stupid when you consider that Sena somehow catches up to everyone within 10 yards unless they run a 4.2 40 yard. Hajime no Ippo... no. Four, really, ones that I've read decent amounts of and enjoyed:

One Piece is very well written, extremely amusing, etc. Only one I read now.
Full Metal Alchemist: :'( Great. Period.
DBZ: Classic.
And, IMO, the best is Death Note.
Amazing until Misa comes in, but it still remains excellent after she enters. The second arc, finding the corporate Kira, was again very well done. After L (best manga character) dies, it felt kinda surreal. Nevertheless, it was excellent.

Err, I feel like there should be either be a "read at your own risk of spoilers" warning in the OP or people's reviews shouldn't be "hasn't been as good since "this major event/this character died." And I'd really prefer the second one. Even if you are discussing the something big like Bleach or whatever, there are still people who haven't read it and if they look at your little blurb on whether to read it or not, it might annoy them just a little bit.

tl;dr Let's not put too many spoilers. If you're recommending a manga, why say a main plot point?

if only there were a simple way to just hide parts of text containing spoilers for those who havent read a series, while still making the text easily accessible for those who have read it

are there any notable differences? I have only watched the anime (who the fuck hasnt?)
Basically what Scicy said. Also the anime is subject to mostly crappy voice acting and bowdlerization. This may not seem like much in total, but it's basically every factor that makes watching DBZ less enjoyable eliminated in one fell swoop.

doomvendingmachine, clearly a fight taking 15 minutes to read is not nearly as epic as taking nearly 400 minutes to watch -_-

The Dragonball manga is a lot better than the DBZ manga though, there is a really noticeable loss of quality.

Also in this topic, Firestorm cares about spoilers but not the person actively trolling badly and shitting on the topic.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Uzumaki is one of my favorite manga. I can't really provide a synopsis without ruining it, so I'll just say it's about spirals. It is a "horror" manga so I was very skeptical at first, but I really like the series. It is pretty short and seemingly disjointed at first, but eventually everything ties together nicely. I also thought the ending was pretty chilling. The surreal feeling to the entire work is what I enjoy the most, as well as the "what the hell could possibly happen next" factor.

HxH is one of my favorite "battle" manga ever. The premise is that there are people called "Hunters" who have special privileges to do whatever they like. The protagonist, Gon, wants to become one to find his father, Gin. While it starts off kind of boring (imo), it really picks up and becomes interesting. My favorite part is how organized and sensible the power system is while still retaining a lot of flexibility as to what is possible. The Chimera Ants arc is also too long imo and I don't like most of the later chapters, but I hope if/when HxH resumes regular publication quality will pick back up.

Ruroni Kenshin is another favorite of mine. Swordsmen like 10 years after a big war in Japan which caused a regime change. Himura Kenshin was a warrior who fought for the new government and is now a wandering samurai after being widely considered "the best." What I am most in love with is the depth of the characters, the hidden motivations and sketchy pasts. Kenshin is a very complicated, torn-up character but you don't even realize exactly how much until WAY later. Sanosuke, Saitou, basically anyone has more than one fight in the series. Hell, even some of the one-off baddies have a cool backstory and motivation. I also like that the villains, while portrayed as "evil," are still very human and can be sympathized with. The fact that the fight scenes are bitching cool is great too.

Again, it's all about the characters. Bakuman's characters are unexpectedly deep for the subject matter of "making manga." The protagonists are relatively bland, but who cares about them! Actually, only Akito is bland. Mashiro's struggle against time to make his dreams come true is very touching and the other manga-ka are all super interesting imo and well developed. Warning, it's very dialogue-heavy and there aren't many scenes with fighting, but it is a really cool series anyways imo.

Kid can see spirits and competes to become the shaman of the "Great Spirit," which is god, basically. This one is great up until the end. The characters are all interesting and the plot actually has an ending that makes sense. I don't like the ending actually, but I think it makes a surprising amount of sense for a Shounen manga. The fights are very good too.

FMA is actually my second favorite after ruroken, and probably much better on an objective level. FMA has one of the best plots of any manga I have read in addition to great characterization. If you only read one manga from my list, make it this one! Best part is, it's completed, so you can read the whole thing at once to really appreciate it as a work [:

OP is nice because it's long and just plain fun to read. It's about a boy named Monkey D. Luffy who wants to become the Pirate King. The fight scenes kick the crap out of 90% of other manga. The sad parts are sad, the happy parts are happy, and the funny parts are funny. And the overlap is minimal. OP is just a good story told well. All of its characters are likable even if they aren't as deep as they could be. Oda is a fucking great manga-ka.

Soul-Eater is the story of a group of Technicians who use Human Weapons to fight evil. They all go to a special school to learn how to fight and everything. The fight scenes from this one are fucking cool, better than OP or Shaman King imo. The characters are cool (yeah i know i have said it a lot but............) and I especially like the dynamics between technicians weapons. The duality of everything is really interesting compared to most series where teamwork is "hold him so i can hit him harder!!!!!!!" The plot is okay, nothing special but not so bad that it detracts from the sick fights and characterization.

I used to FUCKING LOVE naruto, but not really after the Kakashi Gaiden. Ditto for Bleach and the Arrancar stuff. I liked DN and YYH, but I prefer Bakuman and HxH over them and I didn't want to put more than one work per manga-ka up d:

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I don't really read any manga, but I started reading Naruto back when the series was still fairly new, and I've stuck with it just to see how it ends.

Honestly it's one of those things that's like a guilty pleasure, I realize its not the best by any means but the characters are vibrant and I think the art is pretty cool. At least when it's good, it's pretty good. But like people have said before, the quality is shaky.

Doubt is a pretty good manga. The plot's just that a bunch of kids are trapped in a house and forced to play a game of Mafia, since one of them's a killer. What's good about it is mostly the art though, it's polished (reminiscent of what you find in Death Note, actually) and sets the mood well.

The only manga i have read is Love Hina... I cant stand to read manga for some reason. Although i do watch fansubbed Anime... I'm just irrational like that...

The only manga i have read is Love Hina... I cant stand to read manga for some reason. Although i do watch fansubbed Anime... I'm just irrational like that...
It's not that I "can't stand" to read them, I just don't really do it I guess. Anime is pretty cool though I guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Polk65vWI

Doubt is a pretty good manga. The plot's just that a bunch of kids are trapped in a house and forced to play a game of Mafia, since one of them's a killer. What's good about it is mostly the art though, it's polished (reminiscent of what you find in Death Note, actually) and sets the mood well.
I'm actually pretty intrigued by this, might check it out soon.

I'm actually pretty intrigued by this, might check it out soon.
just blasted through in since it was pretty short. Gotta say that it was pretty damn good

edit: yeah the art was really good and I actually ended up being pretty tense while reading it

good stuff

yea, the mangaka also writes Judge which is pretty similar to it. As far as I know, only three or four chapters got released so far though (I think it didn't get translated any further). It's similar to Doubt and the art is just as awesome. Reminds me of Saw.

Went ahead and read Doubt based on the recommendations here (and the fact that it's pretty short).

A very interesting concept with a nice, polished art style. Characters aren't super deep but they're deep enough so that the story can function. In retrospect some things are really obvious about the plot but, while reading it, it does indeed make think carefully about who it could be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)