The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

According to FightMetric, GSP had a full mount and got Alves's back twice, excluding failed attempts. He also threw about three times the amount of strikes on the ground than Fitch did, counting only the first 3 rounds.

What fight metric links are you even using for this?

Either

A. You and I have totally different FightMetric sources.

OR

B. You're counting the Mount and Back Mount GSP had on Alves during round 4.

I'll grant that GSP threw more strikes.. He threw 150 over 5 rounds, Fitch threw 70 over 3 rounds. Neither of them even came close to finishing Alves through strikes so it really doesn't matter (for the purposes of this discussion) who threw more punches that were nowhere near finishing the fight.

As for why I didn't watch the GSP vs Hardy fight.. When I considered that Marcus Davis (of all people) had mount on Hardy in under 30 seconds of taking him down (and then Back Mount a minute later) I completely lost interest in that fight.

Alves has an iron chin. :D He just needs to work on his ground game. :P Now stop fighting over who's penis is larger. Just wait for a GSP - Fitch fight.

Alves has an iron chin. :D He just needs to work on his ground game. :P Now stop fighting over who's penis is larger. Just wait for a GSP - Fitch fight.

Alves also needs to keep making weight, one more mess-up and Dana said he's going to MW.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alves at 185 to be honest, I mean if he looks monster at 170, 185 Alves must be.......fuck man.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alves at 185 to be honest, I mean if he looks monster at 170, 185 Alves must be.......fuck man.

Alves isn't that big, he's pretty short for 170 - kinda like how Palhares is at 185, short but really bulky.

If anything I think Alves would do well to lose a bunch of muscle that he carries which doesn't really help his striking. The guy used to be comfortable at 155 when he first came into the UFC and now he can barely make 170 - that ain't just adult strength, he's gained a lot of muscle from weights etc.

Alves is short and stocky. I remember watching his fight with Koschek. He dominated Koschek for 3 rounds. With those really nice leg kicks. :D On another note. Who here thinks Shinya Aoki is pound for pound a better fighter than Jake Shields? Coz I mean come on. You gotta agree that Jake Shields is a really boring fighter. I mean sure he has a great ground game but watching him fight that's all he has. He's not really as aggressive as Shinya on the ground.

Tyrone Spong counts as a can now? we really are in Sherdog impersonation mode ITT.

ITT: MMA discussion. being in the K-1 Finals regardless of how weak it is this year is still very, very tough. But i never discredit Overeem's K-1 success. Anyone who doesnt even train Kickboxing full time and still beating some decent opposition is good. but MMA isnt K-1.

He'd be too short and I'll bet having that much muscle would hurt his gas tank (but extreme weight cutting hurts the gas tanks too)

Alves is short and stocky. I remember watching his fight with Koschek. He dominated Koschek for 3 rounds. With those really nice leg kicks. :D On another note. Who here thinks Shinya Aoki is pound for pound a better fighter than Jake Shields? Coz I mean come on. You gotta agree that Jake Shields is a really boring fighter. I mean sure he has a great ground game but watching him fight that's all he has. He's not really as aggressive as Shinya on the ground.

P4P = Best recent resume not excitement or potential skill. Also, I think its funny you said Shields ground game is all he has... Aoki is the same lol. but I agree P4P Aoki is better because he has a better resume, even if Jake moved up and dominated Hendo for 4 rounds.

The guy used to be comfortable at 155

Alves, at least since hes been in the UFC, has been a 170er... I think you have him confused for a 155er since he fought Spencer Fisher, who now fights at 155.

Alves, at least since hes been in the UFC, has been a 170er... I think you have him confused for a 155er since he fought Spencer Fisher, who now fights at 155.

I was under the impression that early in his career he fought at 155, mostly due to some commentary from Goldie during the first Fitch fight. Regardless, Alves has gained an obscene amount of mass in his upper body since joining the UFC.

He started at 170 in the UFC, but a couple of his early fights were against notable 155s like Marcus Davis and Gleison Tibau. Seems like he bounced between 155 and 170.

I do agree that he should move to 185, though.

At 185 Alves would be like Sherk when Sherk is in boxing mode: i.e. his reach is way too fucking short.

Better than getting blasted because he destroys himself cutting to 170.

Seriously, you gotta be pretty fucking wrecked when you can't cut one more pound and a half (or aren't willing to).

Seriously, you gotta be pretty fucking wrecked when you can't cut one more pound and a half (or aren't willing to).

You're talking about it like Alves can't drop muscle mass, the guy could easily walk around 5 pounds lighter.

I like how we're always bashing somebody.. it was Rampage a few pages back, then he proves himself again. Then GSP, now Alves?

There isn't any one body shape/look that dominates in MMA...we're fucking humans and everyone's built differently. Last time I checked Alves and his shortfuck self is ranked the third best Welterweight in the world.

And tell Mike Tyson that being short in a large weight class is a disadvantage. He'd love to hear it.

Alves needs to take some lessons from Tiabu about cutting weight...it's still surprising how the hell Tiabu manages to make weight almost every time as a LW.

And tell Mike Tyson that being short in a large weight class is a disadvantage. He'd love to hear it.

Tyson got beaten by 3 taller men with solid jabs capable of keeping him outside of his preferred punching range. That comparison is bogus on so many levels anyway, seeing as Alves more damaging offense is more often from Kicks/Knees than punches.

Plus Alves would lose a lot of his explosive strength advantage that allows him to actually compete with the grapplers at 170 - you put him in with someone like Okami or Sonnen and he's just going to get wrestle fucked worse than GSP and Fitch did to him.

He must hit the weights alot. lol. He needs a good BJJ coach to help out his ground game.
His BJJ isnt a problem. GSP passes anyones guard, even BJJ stand outs like Serra and world champions like BJ. and Fitch didnt put up a BJJ clinic, mostly wresting although he also landed some shots too.

At 185 Alves would be like Sherk when Sherk is in boxing mode: i.e. his reach is way too fucking short.

yeah, GSP had 5 inches of reach on him. Imagine Nate, Okami or Anderson Silva next to him. Alves just needs to cut on some muscle.

Alves weakness is his Boxing, where Mike Tyson mastered inside fighting.

\
Plus Alves would lose a lot of his explosive strength advantage that allows him to actually compete with the grapplers at 170 - you put him in with someone like Okami or Sonnen and he's just going to get wrestle fucked worse than GSP and Fitch did to him.

agreed.

Tyson got beaten by 3 taller men with solid jabs capable of keeping him outside of his preferred punching range. That comparison is bogus on so many levels anyway, seeing as Alves more damaging offense is more often from Kicks/Knees than punches.

Oh so jabbing Tyson is the way to beat him? Who would of thought? So 3 men manage to beat him and all of a sudden him being short is a huge disadvantage? You do realize this is the guy that held the title 'baddest man on the planet' in his heyday. This is also the same guy Ali himself said he'd lose to. Prime Tyson was a monster.

Why are you bringing up Alves' kicks now, didn't you say he had tiny arms and was too short not too long ago? He doesn't even throw punches from far out so why's it even matter? It's all unnecessary crap on a guy that's one or two solid shots from putting anyone to sleep at 170.

Also about the Sonnen/Okami vs Alves comparison. That's all theory as well not to mention these 2 guys would ragdoll just about every 170er so why would it make a difference if it was Alves or anybody else for that matter. All you've said there is the bigger wrestler is going to beat the smaller guy. No shit?

Alves is fine where he's at he just has to master his cutting... I don't know why a guy who dominated Koshcheck, Hughes, and hung in there with the best for 5 rounds is getting so much shit.

I'm sure Trax is built like a champ and has all this extensive knowledge on conditioning, nutrition, and weight cutting. After all Alves is only fed by a professional nutritionist and trains with world-class athletes but let us give him advice on his career. We know what's best.

Not mentionning that Tyson just wasn't the same guy once he got out of jail, which sidelined him for 4 years.

His only real loss in his prime was the upset one to Buster.

It's rather interesting to see how this evolved from bashing Fitch to bashing GSP to bashing Alves to now bashing Mike Tyson, who isn't even in fucking MMA >.>

How about this weekend's TUF Finale anyone? I think Brookins has it in the bag personally, he's pretty much dominated all of his fights, but Johnson is by no means bad...guess we'll see though.

As for the other main bouts, I'm channeling the following:

Bonnar > Pokrajac
Maia > Grove
Story > Hendricks
Phan > Garcia (geez, how many people saw Phan immediately jumping back to FW?)

Prelims:

McKenzie > English (by rnc no doubt)
Watson > Chivitchian (I never liked the Armenian)
Rest = who cares?

Overall I thought it was a decent season, some decent fighters brought in for the fun, and Koscheck got exposed for the loudmouth he is, hell even his own team in the last episode said they felt they weren't getting much training from Koscheck.

Back