The most amazing thing you have done in Pokémon?

Placing 18th in my first regional, using a team that was -- looking back -- functional, but very under-prepared for the Steel-type threats that were popular right around that time, and somehow playing probably the best games of my life.

Just missing out on top 10 or so in the Festive Feud with an Octillery and Kecleon.

Turning my item pack in Yellow into a functional Game Shark (based entirely on other peoples' instructions). Can't get over how cool that is.

Probably not the most amazing thing I've done, but anyways, in order to go and soft-reset for an Impish Celebi, I needed an Impish Sychronizer, which I didn't have. So I went into the Friend Safari to go Xatu hunting, thinking it'd take hours to find the right nature. But the first Synchronize Xatu I caught had Impish for a nature, much to my surprise and joy.

And that joy turned to foul ashes in my mouth when it became apparent that I can't influence the nature of gift Event Pokémon any more than billionaires have any right affect politics so freely (hopefully, that will be the case when Citizens United gets overturned after the Democrats wins the election, and rams their choice of a liberal nominee down the Republicans throats). But that's probably besides the point, and probably not the best place for politics. :P

At least I didn't waste hours for nothing.

Bred a 6IV Fletchling from a 6IV Ditto and a random 4IV Fletchling... on the FIFTH egg. Then I proceeded to horde EV train it with Scraggy... unintentionally found a Gulpin horde that had a shiny. Caught it. Decided to test my luck and went straight to PokeRadar the same route. Chain of 4 and I find a shiny Skiddo. Chains only increase odds every 10, for reference, so it was still a 1/4096 chance. ALL of this was done in the span of an hour. I had gotten a 6IV Shiny Ditto (RNG'd from BW) that day, so I bred a ton and had a bunch of breedjects. I took to Wonder Trade with them... 6IV Shiny Umbreon.

All of this happened in ONE DAY, in fact a few hours. Gosh I was lucky. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever been able to recreate that gosh darn luck.

I was goofing around with the Showdown damage calculator today and I actually made it forget that any attack, unless the target is immune, will always do a minimum of 1:

I think that's pretty impressive (V-create in the same situation was 1 damage, just so you know).
That's not actually that uncommon to see. Plus, I think that would do a good amount of damage.

That's not actually that uncommon to see. Plus, I think that would do a good amount of damage.
A good amount? With an effective Def stat of 16056*? And x4 resist? AND Rain? Unless I am misunderstanding your statement, I doubt it.

*669 times 4 (+6 Def) times 1.5 (Eviolite) times 2 (Fur Coat) times 2 (Reflect) = 16056

Sorry, didn't realise +6 and Fur Coat! Still though, it's easy to make the calc do that
We all make mistakes.
That's not actually correct, damage is rounded down. Using the damage formula here, it does a maximum of 0.697, which rounds down to 0.
Wait, really? I have to test this.
*grabs Broseiden the Mega Slowbro and something that knows Reflect, goes to Route 101, encounters Wurmple*
The damage calc shows that 1 damage would be the high roll:
0+ Atk Wurmple Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro through Reflect: 0-1 (0 - 0.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1)
I've been hit several times through reflect and it has done 1 damage every single time.
Am I doing something wrong? And if so, please give me a suggestion on how to proceed since I really want to see this happen on my copy of Alpha Sapphire.

We all make mistakes.

Wait, really? I have to test this.
*grabs Broseiden the Mega Slowbro and something that knows Reflect, goes to Route 101, encounters Wurmple*
The damage calc shows that 1 damage would be the high roll:
0+ Atk Wurmple Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro through Reflect: 0-1 (0 - 0.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1)
I've been hit several times through reflect and it has done 1 damage every single time.
Am I doing something wrong? And if so, please give me a suggestion on how to proceed since I really want to see this happen on my copy of Alpha Sapphire.
Maybe try using an Aggron (non-mega). There's a two added in the damage calc after levels, base power of the move, and offensive/defensive stats but before all the modifiers (items, abilities, type effectiveness, etc.), so it's difficult to make it so 0 damage is done.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For pure dumb luck, hard to top this. Since I've started playing a bit of Battle Spot, I finally decided to put in the time to get a Pentagon Heatran. I carefully bred, leveled, and EVed a suitable Staraptor and Smeargle per Buckert's guide, and went to the Scorched Slab expecting a lot of trial and error. In the *very first* encounter, Heatran passes the HP and Speed IV checks, so he's worth catching and checking. Very first ball I throw (a Luxury Ball) catches the Heatran. Mind you, I had forgotten to use Catching Power first! I check the IVs, first visually, then at the judge: 31 / 22-23 / 31 / 31 / 31/ 31 Calm (Synchronize worked). Wowzers! Sometimes it really is better to be lucky than good.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was in a treacherous Platinum Nuzlocke. My team consisted of Pokémon including a Budew, a Gyarados, and a Hustle Togetic. I was grinding before the third Gym and trying to evolve my Budew when it was struck by a critical hit from a Bonsly's Rock Throw. I was crestfallen. Budew, once it evolved, had been what I would use to win.
I ground Gyarados up a few more levels and succeeded at beating Fantina by the skin of my teeth. Sadly, Gyarados died in the process. I remembered something - my rival was waiting for me in the gate. All I had left, I think, were Togetic and an Eevee, both Level ~24. I decided to use my Return TM on Togetic...
...and proceeded to sweep my rival's team, which was no lower leveled than mine. Hustle actually helped me out a ton, and Togetic was very friendly thanks to the grinding. Sadly I lost the Nuzlocke later when I was fighting Cyrus in the Distortion World. All that were left were my Togekiss and his Honchkrow. Return would have been a 2HKO, but it missed the second time. Welp.
Either way, I can't really believe that I made it that far after having such a small party at the time. I might want to try it again.
Thanks for reading!

I was like 10 at the time playing Pokemon Platinum and I coincidentally used Fly right before a Driftblim used Explosion. I was in people's heads ever since i was a kid yo
This is why Fly is still a great move for in-game--sure, two Wing Attacks/Aces does more damage overall, but that semi-invulnerable turn comes in handy a lot more than you might think.

Coming out of Slateport, I decided I wanted an Electric to round off my team. I could've used Coaplay Pikachu or just bagged an Electrike and called it a day, but I aaw that Route 110's encounter list includes Magnemite, by horde. Of course, first I need Sweet Scent.

First encounter in the grass is an Oddish. Good start. Three Minun hordes later (one of which had a Plusle--gah!), I get a Magnemite horde. I grab a Sturdy one and ought to be done with it, but I decide to get greedy and DexNav.

This process takes about twenty minutes (thanks to "It couldn't be found nearby. Try a different spot!"), with the horde already setting my search level to 5. On search level 10, I get an absolutely beautiful specimen: Sturdy, two IVs. It goes in the first ball. Gentle nature, not all that bad, but my two 31s? Special Defense and Special Attack. (As to how you can know that well before the stats judge? Fire up the damage calculator.)

Oh, and while doing a teeny bit of grinding on it, I found and caught a Rain Dish Wingull, my very first Hidden Ability capture.

I caught a Xerneas in one single Dusk Ball in one try! Woo!

EDIT: Later in the same playthrough, I did the same thing with Mewtwo...though that time I did lead with a Quick Ball, so it isn't as impressive.

Last edited:
Winning against Cynthia in Platinum for the very first time, after several hours of grinding against the Elite Four, by getting two consecutive flinches, a paralysis and finally a critical hit with Sniper Drapion's Thunder Fang against her Togekiss.

I once caught Registeel with a Pokeball. It had max health and no status.

If only I had that sort of luck with every other legendary...ever.
I was once doing a FR Nuzlocke, and Blue was really messing with me. He killed 3 Pokemon and I had 2 left (one had been killed by Lance) before Snorlax pulled back the whole match with surviving on very low amounts of HPs.

I once caught Registeel with a Pokeball. It had max health and no status.

If only I had that sort of luck with every other legendary...ever.
I was once doing a FR Nuzlocke, and Blue was really messing with me. He killed 3 Pokemon and I had 2 left (one had been killed by Lance) before Snorlax pulled back the whole match with surviving on very low amounts of HPs.
Yeah, that sounds like Snorlax (mine did this is the Kanto Classic a lot).

I remember having a stupid rotation battle in Gen 5 with someone over the internet. He had a stall team featuring a core of Tyranitar, Scizor, and Sigilyph. I don't remember what I had but it featured a Reuniclus and a Sigilyph. Both our Sigilpyhs were of the Flame Orb Magic Guard variety (Stored Power, Cosmic Power, Roost, Psycho Shift). It was down to 2v2. My Reuniclus and Sigilyph versus his Scizor and Sigilyph. Somehow I ended up predicting the rotation for his Scizor and killed it with Reuniclus. I then literally stalled him out since it was 2v1 and he ran out of PP for Stored Power. Since my other two are both Magic Guard Pokemon, he literally couldn't do anything to me.

Sweeping Cynthia with a Snorlax on my first time battling her was great. Mainly because, IIRC, the Snorlax tanked every hit with ease.

I loved that thing.

When I was a kid, my friend and I would always battle each other in Pokemon emerald. This was a time where we brought our strongest pokemon including legendaries and whatnot.

In one such occurrence it came down to my Blaziken and Rayquaza vs my friend's Groudon and Kyogre. The sun was out and Rayquaza landed a decent hit on Kyogre before going down to a blizzard. At this point my friend had the game won with two cover legendaries vs a lowly Blaziken who stood no chance. Just to make his victory seem more complete (I was never a sore loser so I didn't mind) he decided to go for the disrespect.

This disrespect was using Kyogre's Sheer Cold on Blaziken. I know what you're thinking, he missed, blew it, and I made the comeback of course! To my dismay, this wasn't the case as Sheer Cold connected. I yelled a sorrow-filled "Noooooo!" at the sight of the attack animation and my friend gave a hearty chuckle at his victory. Once again, I thought, I lost to my friend...But fate deemed this wasn't the end... To our shock, Blaziken survived Sheer Cold. My friend and I both were flabbergasted. Sheer Cold is a OHKO is it not? Blaziken glowed red with vigor and the culprit of this miracle revealed itself...THE FOCUS BAND! I forgot about giving Blaziken that item completely as it never actually activated before...But finally, it. was. time. Now at a prime-time low HP, Blaziken unleashed a sun, blaze, and STAB boosted Overheat on Groudon and promptly sent it to the shadow realm. Blaziken, with its job done, then succumbed to a surf from Kyogre next turn...

My friend may have won the battle, but we both agreed Blaziken won our hearts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)