The Next Type (Current Types: Dinosaur, Light, and Space)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
I don't really understand the logic behind the Dinosaur-type's weaknesses and resistances. Being resisted by Steel makes sense, but hitting Electric supereffectively, that really confuses me. Resisting fire and electric also seems rather strange as fire would burn a dinosaur to death while lightning would electrocute a dinosaur
We're talking about a game where Ground is immune to Electric and Steel is immune to acid. =/ it was more or less for balancing reasons while still trying to keep some flavor. Just pretend that dinosaurs are so ancient they adapted to the elements of nature and aren't afraid of fire and storms anymore. =]

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys. It's been a while since I posted something here, so I'll just show you what's been going on with the type chart thus far:

Space: Resists Fire, Water, and Ground, and has a Flying immunity.

Light: Grass, Water, and Ice resist Light, and Dark, Bug, Poison, and Ghost are weak to it. Light is weak to Dark.

Hopefully the rest will be done soon, so look forward to it!

I might as well give my versions of Space and Light.

Light
Attacking
2x: Water, Ghost, Dark, Steel, Dragon, Fairy
.5x: Fire, Electric, Ice, Poison, Rock, Space
0x: Grass, Psychic

Defending
2x: Psychic, Poison, Space
.5x: Elec, Ghost, Dragon
0x: Dark

Space
Attacking
2x: Normal, Flying, Steel, Light
.5x: Fight, Psychic, Bug, Fairy, Space
0x: Ice

Defending
2x: Water, Rock, Dark, Dragon
.5x: Fight, Ground, Steel, Space
0x: Flying

That current metagame of yours now has glowing, extraterrestrial rearrangement. And Light is polarizing. Yes, that is SIX super effective hits, but 2 resists.

Yes, that is the ability to quad hit Sableye, Azumarill, Kingdra, Empoleon, and the Gen 4 Uber Dragons (though to be fair, one of those REALLY needs to become Space type.) Yes, that is every ice type begging to be taken seriously as a defensive mon.

Yes, Space does have built in Talonflame resistances and Quad hits Skarmory and every common bird.

With time, I will justify and explain my reasoning.

Last edited:

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guys I take credit for the Light and Space types (though my title for Space was Cosmic). Proof that I was here first: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sylveria-aka-generation-seven.3505820/page-7

Also I revised it a little bit; here is my thought on what Light and Space should match up against. May not make perfect sense flavor-wise, but competitive value outweighs flavor.

Light

Offense 2x: Normal, Steel, Water

Offense .5x: Grass, Ice, Dark

Offense 0x: Bug

Defense 2x: Normal, Psychic, Dark

Defense .5x: Ghost, Fire, Dragon

Defense 0x: Flying

Cosmic (my name for Space)

Offense 2x: Ghost, Electric, Fairy

Offense .5x: Normal, Ground, Dragon

Offense 0x: Ice

Defense 2x: Normal, Electric, Dragon

Defense .5x: Rock, Steel, Ice

Defense 0x: Fairy

Way to (unknowingly, I hope) steal my ideas guys!

Hmmm...things have gotten interesting, although Light's already been done SO MANY TIMES! Either way, interested in the development of Space type, sounds like it could be really fun.

Guys I take credit for the Light and Space types (though my title for Space was Cosmic). Proof that I was here first: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sylveria-aka-generation-seven.3505820/page-7

Also I revised it a little bit; here is my thought on what Light and Space should match up against. May not make perfect sense flavor-wise, but competitive value outweighs flavor.

Light

Offense 2x: Normal, Steel, Water

Offense .5x: Grass, Ice, Dark

Offense 0x: Bug

Defense 2x: Normal, Psychic, Dark

Defense .5x: Ghost, Fire, Dragon

Defense 0x: Flying

Cosmic (my name for Space)

Offense 2x: Ghost, Electric, Fairy

Offense .5x: Normal, Ground, Dragon

Offense 0x: Ice

Defense 2x: Normal, Electric, Dragon

Defense .5x: Rock, Steel, Ice

Defense 0x: Fairy

Way to (unknowingly, I hope) steal my ideas guys!

Ummm... Space and Light types have been floating around in the community for some time now, and you can't take credit for them... example from 2009: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/new-pokemon-types.176418353/
So please don't take credit on something you can't :D

He might have been joking at least a little...also, Space ought to be Light-weak, and immune to Fighting rather than Fairy. Nothing else can pass through the vacuum of space so easily as light, and without nothing to punch in space...it's like Ghosts, but not!

I'm somewhat legitimately terrified of what might happen if these new types and moves were competitively in play. Is there a server someone could code these into? I probably couldn't join in the blowing up of things, but I'd enjoy the replays...

Oh, and Aggron. He's got the advantages of Dino without the drawbacks thanks to Steel typing. Couple that with his killer Attack stat and bulk, and I'd like to see this thing in action. Might also mention the need to include Dinosaur in the weakness/resistance discussion for Space and Light, though (probably both neutral, but something to note for the future.)

Last edited:
Nothing else can pass through the vacuum of space so easily as light

C'mon light, I dare ya to pass.

This black hole is also why space should be weak to dark. Yea yea, dark is evil, but think on it: the universe is ruled by dark matter!

Hey guys. It's been a while since I posted something here, so I'll just show you what's been going on with the type chart thus far:

Space: Resists Fire, Water, and Ground, and has a Flying immunity.

Light: Grass, Water, and Ice resist Light, and Dark, Bug, Poison, and Ghost are weak to it. Light is weak to Dark.

Hopefully the rest will be done soon, so look forward to it!
SPACE:

Steel should resist space. I know it has enough resists already... but what are the satellites in space made of? Metal.
Ice should resist space too, as I'm pretty sure some Comets are giant chunks of Ice. Plus, Ice only has one resistance at the moment. (To itself)
And finally Light should resist Space.

EV

Banned deucer.
SPACE:

Steel should resist space. I know it has enough resists already... but what are the satellites in space made of? Metal.
Ice should resist space too, as I'm pretty sure some Comets are giant chunks of Ice. Plus, Ice only has one resistance at the moment. (To itself)
And finally Light should resist Space.
Rock, too, since like planets float around in Space. (And we don't have a type Gas so don't tell me how not all planets are made of rock.)

I can't see space as light weak.

I can explain this though:

2x: Water, Ghost, Dark, Steel, Dragon, Fairy

All of these are either construed as enemies of justice or don't like getting superheated by light reflection. Water evaporates and steel absorbs sunlight too well and, like with fire, it heats up. Ghost and dark should be obvious, and Dragons need to be stopped by paladins from time to time. Fairies are cruel fuckers if you read the right mythologies and some will eat children. The light does not approve of baby sandwich!

There's no real room for anything more and even with 2 things immune, I feel like 6 types is too good.

I can also explain why it's immune to dark but weak to psychic easily enough: It makes a perfect chain with psychic being beyond enlightenment.

So the chain goes Dark > Psychic > Light > Dark.

Did some thinking, and this is what I came up with:
Space Type:

Offensive:
X2 Fire, Flying, Grass, Light and Fairy
X1/2 Psychic, Ice, Steel, Rock and Dark
X0 None
Defensive:
X2 Dark, Rock, Water
X1/2 Ground, Fire, Light, Dino
X0 Flying

Moves:Orbit Punch- 75 power, physical, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, 10% to flinch
Supernova- 110 power, special, 5 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect
Meteor Shower- 25 power, physical, 10 PP, 90% accuracy, hit 2-5 times.

Moves that should be retyped:
Spacial Rend
Gravity
That's it :D

Pokemon should be retyped:Deoxys- Psychic/Space
Unown- Space
Palkia- Space/Dragon
Clefable- Fairy/Space
Lunatone & Solrock- Rock/Space
Beheeyem- Space

That's all for the space type :3
Oh and Valmanway, you should really update the first post on this thread :D

Retype suggestions:

Chinchou, Lanturn: Light/ Water
Glalie: Ice/Light
Finneon, Lumineon: Water/Light
Watchhog: Light/Normal
Staryu: Light/Water (or Space/Water)
Starmie: Light/Water (or Space/Water)
Jirachi: Light/Water
Deoxys: Space

Retype of Deoxys signature move 'Psycho Boost' to a Space type move, with ofcourse a name change. And retype of Jirachi's signature move 'Doom Desire' , from Steel to Light type.

Last edited:
Retype suggestions:

Chinchou, Lanturn: Water/Light Obvious
Glalie: Ice/Light Glalie seems more Ice/Dark to me...
Finneon: Water/Light No one is going to use Finneon anyway. Why can't Lumineon be Water/Light?
Watchhog: Light(or Normal/Light) Nomal/Light makes more sense
Staryue: Water (unchanged) ??? What is the point of saying that? Also BTW what is a Staryue?
Starmie: Light/Psychic This just doesn't make sense. Water/Psychic or Water/Light, but not Light/Psychic. Or at least make 'Staryue' Water/Psychic or Light/Water.
Jirachi: Space/Light STAB Iron Head is good, so Steel/Light or Space/Steel is better IMO.

Deoxys: Space Obvious

Retype of Deoxys signature move 'Psycho Boost' to a Space type move, with ofcourse a name change. And retype of Jirachi's signature move 'Doom Desire' , from Steel to Light type.
Comments in bold.

Did some thinking, and this is what I came up with:
Space Type:

Offensive:

X2 Fire, Flying, Grass, Light and Fairy
X1/2 Psychic, Ice, Steel, Rock and Dark
X0 None
Defensive:
X2 Dark, Rock, Water
X1/2 Ground, Fire, Light, Dino
X0 Flying

Moves:Orbit Punch- 75 power, physical, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, 10% to flinch
Supernova- 110 power, special, 5 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect
Meteor Shower- 25 power, physical, 10 PP, 90% accuracy, hit 2-5 times.
Moves that should be retyped:Spacial Rend
Gravity
That's it :D

Pokemon should be retyped:Deoxys- Psychic/Space
Unown- Space
Palkia- Space/Dragon
Clefable- Fairy/Space
Lunatone & Solrock- Rock/Space
Beheeyem- Space

That's all for the space type :3
Oh and Valmanway, you should really update the first post on this thread :D
Beheeyem should be Space Psychic because it's also known for its ESP power.

EV

Banned deucer.
All moves considered "light" attacks:
  • Aurora Beam*
  • Mirror Shot
  • Signal Beam
  • Tail Glow
  • Light of Ruin
  • Reflect
  • Light Screen
  • Solar Beam
  • Flash
  • Judgment
  • Techno Blast
  • Luster Purge
  • Power Gem
  • Doom Desire
  • Flash Cannon
  • Dazzling Gleam
*dex mentions a rainbow, which is light

These moves are ambiguous but are associated with light:
  • Moonblast
  • Morning Sun
  • Moonlight
  • Sunny Day
Specifically mentioned as "beam" moves but not "light" in the dex:
  • Hyper Beam
  • Ice Beam
  • Tri Attack
Going forward, are we classifying Light as purely "light" (something optical) or also including the "justice" aspect, like paladins, heroes, clerics, etc that are popularly associated with Light in other games? If we go with both, I'd also recommend considering retyping moves like Sacred Sword, Sacred Fire, Heal Bell, and Wish.

Glalie: Ice/Light Glalie seems more Ice/Dark to me...
lel i have forever visualised Glalie as a scary ice sculpture with a blue light bulb inside it...

Finneon: Water/Light No one is going to use Finneon anyway. Why can't Lumineon be Water/Light?
Ofcourse, Lumineon should be Water/Light too, totally forgot that it existed.

Watchhog: Light(or Normal/Light) Nomal/Light makes more sense
Yeah, i see, it does makes more sense.

Staryue: Water (unchanged) ??? What is the point of saying that? Also BTW what is a Staryue?
Starmie: Light/Psychic This just doesn't make sense. Water/Psychic or Water/Light, but not Light/Psychic. Or at least make 'Staryue' Water/Psychic or Light/Water.
Actually, i was kinda paranoid about suggesting 6 Light/Water retypes, so i tried to be a bit creative and in the process got a bit over the edge...
So, I agree Light/Water seems most appropriate for both Staryu & Starmie.
lel. corrected 'Staryue' mistake.

Edit: Found this on Bulbapedia about Starmie (similar for Staryu)

Starmie's jewel core, which can glow in seven colors, has developed to resemble a cut precious stone. Starmie can emit electrical waves from the core that are powerful enough to reach the furthest parts of the universe.The multi-color glowing of its core is also believed to be a method of communication inside the species. Starmie’s core is most commonly seen as red in color, which may be a relaxed or dormant signal as according to the Starmie communication system. As seen in the anime, the core will go dark if Starmie is knocked unconscious, and will sometimes flicker if Starmie is low on health. Because of its body shape and habit of sending transmissions skyward, some people believe this Pokémon to be extraterrestrial. Starmie is rarely seen in the wild, but can be found in the deepest parts of the ocean.

I never knew of its connection with the real stars, Water/Space for them makes much more sense to me now.What d y all think?

Last edited:
Approved by Arcticblast

Inspired by the Create-A-Pokemon project, I present to you, "The Next Type"! In this metagame, we introduce a whole new type, retype some Pokemon with it, and see if it can become competitively viable. As per request of Hollywood, our first subject will be the Dinosaur-type. The Dinosaur-type is a rather unique type that provides convenient resistances, unique coverage, and a whole new spin on old Pokemon. The Dinosaur's type alignment is being worked on as a community right now, with the following type changes:

Attacking: Steel-types resist, and Electric-types are weak.
Defending: Dinosaur resists Fire and Electric, and are weak to Ice and Poison.

The following Pokemon receive a type change:

Tyrantrum, Tyranitar, and Rampardos- Rock/Dinosaur

Aerodactyl - Dinosaur/Flying

Nidoking and Nidoqueen - Poison/Dinosaur

Meganium, Tropius, and Sceptile - Grass/Dinosaur

Feraligatr and Slowbro - Water/Dinosaur

Garchomp and Marowak - Ground/Dinosaur

Druddigon and Haxorus - Dinosaur

Kyurem - Dinosaur/Ice

Aurorus - Dinosaur/Ice

Aggron and Bastiodon - Steel/Dinosaur

But some people don't see the point in having a new type without having new moves of that type. Not a problem! Here are new moves to compliment this new type:

Dino Jaw (Tyrantrum family's signature move) - 80 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, 20% chance of flinching, powered up by Strong Jaw

Dino Tail - 120 power, physical, direct contact, 10 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect

Dino Claw - 90 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Dino Blast - 90 power, special, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Dino Charge - 40 power, physical, direct contact, 30 PP, 100% accuracy, +1 priority

Dino Roar - status, 20 PP, never misses, -6 priority, forces out the target and lowers the defense of the incoming target by 1 stage

Pump Up - status, 25 PP, raises attack, defense, and special defense by one stage

Ancient Screech - 40 power, special, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, 100% flinch chance, only works on first turn the user is in battle, +3 priority

Smash - 150 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 80% accuracy, 1/2 recoil.

Super Charge: 150 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 90% accuracy, recharge after use

Hibernate: Rest clone.

*Note that all Dinosaur-types get these moves.

Ancientpower becomes Dinosaur-type (for flavor)

So now that that's settled, let's give a warm welcome to the Dinosaur-type!
Honestly the OP needs updating... also as I mentioned earlier in the thread the pre-evolutions need their types changed also.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So sorry for the wait everyone, but here are the final results of discussion for type changes!

Light: Grass-, Water-, Steel-, and Ice-types resist it, and Bug-, Ghost-, Space-, and Poison-types are weak to it. Light resists Ghost-, Poison-, and Fire-type moves, and is weak to Grass-, and Ice-type moves.

Space: Steel-, Rock-, and Ice-types resist it, and Fire-, Water-, Electric-, Ground-, and Flying-types are weak to it. Space resists Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ground-type moves, has an immunity to Flying-type moves, and is weak to Steel-, Light-, and Rock-type moves.

Now we can move onto which Pokemon receive the type changes! Many ideas have already been posted, so I'll look over those for now.

Last edited:
So sorry for the wait everyone, but here are the final results of discussion for type changes!

Light: Grass-, Water-, Steel-, and Ice-types resist it, and Bug-, Ghost-, Dark-, Space-, and Poison-types are weak to it. Light resists Ghost-, Poison-, and Fire-type moves, and is weak to Dark-, Grass-, and Ice-type moves.

Space: Steel-, Rock-, and Ice-types resist it, and Fire-, Water-, Electric-, Ground-, and Flying-types are weak to it. Space resists Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ground-type moves, has an immunity to Flying-type moves, and is weak to Steel-, Light-, and Ice-type moves.

Now we can move onto which Pokemon receive the type changes! Many ideas have already been posted, so I'll look over those for now.
Don't want to be rude or anything, but maybe you can update or maybe change the OP completly?
Maybe something like this?

(The info you put in the beggining)
And now, for the new types!

Type chart:
Offensive:
X2 Electric
X1/2 Steel
X0 None
Defensive:
X2 Ice, Poison
X1/2 Fire, Electric
X0 None

Pokemon changes:
Tyrantrum, Tyranitar, and Rampardos- Rock/Dinosaur

Aerodactyl - Dinosaur/Flying

Nidoking and Nidoqueen - Poison/Dinosaur

Meganium, Tropius, and Sceptile - Grass/Dinosaur

Feraligatr and Slowbro - Water/Dinosaur

Garchomp and Marowak - Ground/Dinosaur

Druddigon and Haxorus - Dinosaur

Kyurem - Dinosaur/Ice

Aurorus - Dinosaur/Ice

Aggron and Bastiodon - Steel/Dinosaur

New moves:

Dino Jaw (Tyrantrum family's signature move) - 80 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, 20% chance of flinching, powered up by Strong Jaw

Dino Tail - 120 power, physical, direct contact, 10 PP, 85% accuracy, no effect

Dino Claw - 90 power, physical, direct contact, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Dino Blast - 90 power, special, 15 PP, 100% accuracy, no effect

Dino Charge - 40 power, physical, direct contact, 30 PP, 100% accuracy, +1 priority

Dino Roar - status, 20 PP, never misses, -6 priority, forces out the target and lowers the defense of the incoming target by 1 stage

Pump Up - status, 25 PP, raises attack, defense, and special defense by one stage

Ancient Screech - 40 power, special, 10 PP, 100% accuracy, 100% flinch chance, only works on first turn the user is in battle, +3 priority

Smash - 150 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 80% accuracy, 1/2 recoil.

Super Charge: 150 power, physical, direct contact, 5 PP, 90% accuracy, recharge after use

Hibernate: Rest clone.

*Note that all Dinosaur-types get these moves.

Retyped moves:
Ancientpower

And then do the same with the other types :3
If you want, when the info is done I can make those for the other types if you don't have the time/power to do them. Or if you just want to keep it like the way it is now :3
I'm just suggesting :D

of course starmie line and lanturn line should be water/light imo and i guess ampharos and mega should be electric/light volbeat and illumise should be bug/light that's for light type

for space type maybe make clefable line fairy/space metagross line and jirachi should be steel/space if anything deoxys should be pure space since you know meteorites palkia should be water/space and change spacial rend to a space move and beheeyem to psychic/space cuz aliens.

of course starmie line and lanturn line should be water/light imo and i guess ampharos and mega should be electric/light volbeat and illumise should be bug/light that's for light type

for space type maybe make clefable line fairy/space metagross line and jirachi should be steel/space if anything deoxys should be pure space since you know meteorites palkia should be water/space and change spacial rend to a space move and beheeyem to psychic/space cuz aliens.
Palkia should be Space/Dragon if anything... not Water/Space... it completely messes up the creation trio...

Plus, Spacial Rend would make sense to be space type, but IMO, it would again spoil the trio, unless Dialga's Roar of Time was Space type too.

BTW, here are all my suggestions:

Metagross/Jirachi : Steel/Space

Palkia : Space/Dragon

Deoxys/Unown : Space

Cresselia/Beheeyem/Mega Mewtwo Y : Psychic/Space

Darkrai : Dark/Space

Solrock/Lunatone : Rock/Space

Clefairy : Fairy/Space

Porygon-Z : Normal/Space

Starmie : Water/Space

Ampharos/Electivire : Electric/Light

Watchog : Normal/Light

Ledian/Illumise/Volbeat : Bug/Light

Sunflora/Bellossom/Cherrim (Sunny): Grass/Light

Octillery/Milotic/Lumineon/Manaphy : Water/Light

Latias : Dragon/Light

Cryogonal/Glalie : Ice/Light

Rapidash/Magmortar : Fire/Light

Last edited:
Let me see if I get this right... of 3 new types, all are resisted by ice? Fine! No complaints here. It's more like all 3 are WEAK to ice, yet you can't throw psychic a bone?

Freeze dry literally hits 8 Super effectively, and is still near perfect coverage with water!

This just rubs me the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)