The Smogon Runners Thread!

A thread for Track kids on Smogon-throwers and jumpers welcome.

How many kids on your xc/track teams play pokemon? I'd say a good 10 do on mine out of about 70.

I guess I'll just list what I run and my best times:

1600 - 5:20 (ran that two years ago as a freshman, haven't run it since)
800 - 2:11 (ran that sophomore year)
400 - 0:56 (sophomore year)

I run track, not xc, and I much prefer pole vaulting to running anyday..as you can see, I'm not too fast, but compared to anybody who doesn't run track I guess it's pretty good. I suck at short distance sprinting, but I can beat most of our team at the 800. Hopefully I'll improve all my runs by another 3-4 seconds this year like I did from freshman to sophomore.

I'm a freshman now, I do track and field.

my 400 is :54 seconds
800 2:04

I don't run anything else though. These are from eighth grade track though, as track is in spring.. yeah.

Umm, I'm in college so I don't know and am really afraid to ask....
ha ha I can respect that

remix01 those times are pretty nasty for an incoming freshman, what state do u live in

Junior, run the sprints

100-11.7
200-23.5
300-39.1
400-56.x (in the middle of January outside with no spikes)

all these are from sophmore year, I had surgery and missed all of indoor and f'd up my outdoor season

I never did short distance running, but I did run X-Country in high school. I tore my ACL the second race my senior year, so I'll have to go with my best time from Junior year.

Best 5k: 19:21 (about average on my team, since we had people who ran the 5k in 15 minutes)

Best mile time: 5:59

Again, I was none too impressive a runner.

yo, short distance/jumper here.
my best 400 is around 56-57 seconds.
100 is around 12.2
high jump is 5'8" (i can jump my height).
although we do have a guy who can jump 6'6" when hes high (i mean trippin balls). hes only like, 5'11" or so, so hes good.

hey sunshine, that's a pretty big diff between your 5k and 1600 times. 19:21 should have you around low 5 mins, i'd think? then again, the mile needs quite a few more fast-twitch muscles than cross country gives you. i never ran the mile during xc season, so i really wouldn't know for sure.

i ran xc/track for three years in high school, and i'm not sure yet about doing it in college (gonna be a frosh). i did a whole bunch of everything.

100m: 12.3
200m: 26.2
300m: 45.0 (meh)
400m: 56.7
600m: 1:32.6
800m: 2:14.8
1000m: 2:57.0
1600m: 5:10
van cortlandt 4k: 15:59.3 (xc only)

i suck at the 300, as you can see. and, since it's somewhat significant and stuff, i am a girl, so these are relatively competitive times. they're nothing special in the new york city area leagues, though. :C

hey sunshine, that's a pretty big diff between your 5k and 1600 times. 19:21 should have you around low 5 mins, i'd think? then again, the mile needs quite a few more fast-twitch muscles than cross country gives you. i never ran the mile during xc season, so i really wouldn't know for sure.

i ran xc/track for three years in high school, and i'm not sure yet about doing it in college (gonna be a frosh). i did a whole bunch of everything.

100m: 12.3
200m: 26.2
300m: 45.0 (meh)
400m: 56.7
600m: 1:32.6
800m: 2:14.8
1000m: 2:57.0
1600m: 5:10
van cortlandt 4k: 15:59.3 (xc only)

i suck at the 300, as you can see. and, since it's somewhat significant and stuff, i am a girl, so these are relatively competitive times. they're nothing special in the new york city area leagues, though. :C

wow those times aren't anything special in NYC? At the New England meet, you'd win the 100, come 4th in the 200, come second in the 400, come third in the 800, and be top 15 in the 1600. In indoor you'd win the 600 and come third in the 1000.

In conclusion, you should run track in college

I am going o be a junior in high school this year. In track I was
400: 56.4
800: 2:06.2
1600: 4:36.6
3200: 10:07.3

I ran the 1600/3200 double 5 weeks before the state finals. That was my last good meet. Then unfortunately the over racing and intense work caught up to me, and I was only able to produce a 10:08/4:38 double in my conference meet. And then state finals I didn't do too good either. However, this coming XC is looking real good. Been logging some real good mileage with quality workouts. I'm going for a sub 15:30 time for the 3 miles. We don't run the 5k in illinois. Anyways today I have a road race (5k). Aiming for a sub 17 time since I haven't done any speed work and it's a hilly course.

ryomou: You kidding me? Those times are amazing for a girl! You'd definitely be all state in illinois.

EDIT: And to answer your question. In a co-ed of about 25 girls and 30 guys. It was 1 girls played D/P and another two played the GBA games. Now The guys, we were pretty amazing. We had battles but with R/B/Y games. I said about 28 out of the 30 battled with those old school games. And then about 8 of us played the D/P games.

I am going o be a junior in high school this year. In track I was
400: 56.4
800: 2:06.2
1600: 4:36.6
3200: 10:07.3

I ran the 1600/3200 double 5 weeks before the state finals. That was my last good meet. Then unfortunately the over racing and intense work caught up to me, and I was only able to produce a 10:08/4:38 double in my conference meet. And then state finals I didn't do too good either. However, this coming XC is looking real good. Been logging some real good mileage with quality workouts. I'm going for a sub 15:30 time for the 3 miles. We don't run the 5k in illinois. Anyways today I have a road race (5k). Aiming for a sub 17 time since I haven't done any speed work and it's a hilly course.

ryomou: You kidding me? Those times are amazing for a girl! You'd definitely be all state in illinois.

EDIT: And to answer your question. In a co-ed of about 25 girls and 30 guys. It was 1 girls played D/P and another two played the GBA games. Now The guys, we were pretty amazing. We had battles but with R/B/Y games. I said about 28 out of the 30 battled with those old school games. And then about 8 of us played the D/P games.
I would never suggest doubling that late in the season unless you're using the meet as some kind of workout, or if you're trying to get qualification or something. It's kind of like using draco meteor when you're losing 6-1

I'm a freshman now, I do track and field.

my 400 is :54 seconds
800 2:04

I don't run anything else though. These are from eighth grade track though, as track is in spring.. yeah.
8th grade? damn, now I feel slow (though that's pretty much because I am slow)...

400: never ran this at a meet. at some practices I ran like 58 ish so that's okay I guess.
800: 2:14
1600 haven't run it in forever though before I started having to leave for all sorts of fancy trips I managed to get to around 5:20 after running a 5k.
5k: I actually ran this once, and I'm pretty sure I was mistimed, cause it was at 16:15, way better than my other times and I had zero long distance training, so bleh.

yea, I'm pretty slow. but meh. I'm good enough for these private school leagues where everyone is a spoiled rich kid and runs in a polo just to show off their green.

my PR was 21:30ish for a 5k in highschool. Probably be about 25 minutes about now. I really miss cross country practices and races. =(

I can't stand track. I would much rather run in the woods with long beautiful trails than on a boring track over and over again lol...

my PR was 21:30ish for a 5k in highschool. Probably be about 25 minutes about now. I really miss cross country practices and races. =(

I can't stand track. I would much rather run in the woods with long beautiful trails than on a boring track over and over again lol...
I'm pretty sure nike has a facility where the infield of the track is a forrest so you feel more calm when you're racing; it's pretty sick

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Mystica said:
Agreeing with that 100%...track can get so monotonous! But I'm always so amazed at the wealth of running talent Smogon has. There must be some correlation between Smogon and running, there must be!

I used to run at a high level until I picked up an injury at the start of the year. Been on the sidelines ever since, except from a pretty impromptu track meet last week. Was quite pleased that I managed to bag 16.40 in the 5k despite my absence (and the fact I'd ran a 55 secs 400m just 25 minutes earlier...ugh) and I'm really excited to be running again.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I did cross-country for grade 10 and 11, and let's just say that my times were awful (I think I got 40 min or so on a friggin 7k race once...). I guess it was my own fault for not going to practice a huge amount, but still...

Honestly, I would try my best when it came to the races, and I could endure a hell of a lot of running, but the problem came with speed. A lot of people were just plain faster than me, so it didn't matter how much I could endure. My problem was that when I saw all these people just pass me, I'd lose my motivation so badly, that I didn't really care that much about the race or going to practice anymore.

Yeah, if anyone has some tips on keeping motivation during these races, I'd be glad to hear it, because frankly, I think my motivation dropped, which kept me from excelling at cross-country...though I actually do like it.

Agreeing with that 100%...track can get so monotonous! But I'm always so amazed at the wealth of running talent Smogon has. There must be some correlation between Smogon and running, there must be!

I used to run at a high level until I picked up an injury at the start of the year. Been on the sidelines ever since, except from a pretty impromptu track meet last week. Was quite pleased that I managed to bag 16.40 in the 5k despite my absence (and the fact I'd ran a 55 secs 400m just 25 minutes earlier...ugh) and I'm really excited to be running again.
16:40's legit. I think the correlation is just the idea of training and getting better. When you're trying to compete at a high level in either pokemon or running you gotta put some effort into it.

8th grade? damn, now I feel slow (though that's pretty much because I am slow)...
I do so much training and weight lifting, and double as a basketball player, so Im in like insane shape. This one junior at my high school ran a 400 in 48.4. That was insane, I was running in his group for training last week, and ran a 52.9, so I got dusted. But he is like 6' 2" Im only 5'9" so his stride is like 5 inches bigger than mine on the curves.

I do so much training and weight lifting, and double as a basketball player, so Im in like insane shape. This one junior at my high school ran a 400 in 48.4. That was insane, I was running in his group for training last week, and ran a 52.9, so I got dusted. But he is like 6' 2" Im only 5'9" so his stride is like 5 inches bigger than mine on the curves.
wow lol I'm like 5'3"

well I didnt run at all over the summer so xc is gonna hit me hard D=

also 48 seconds is fucking inane; that guy has some real talent.

Well, in Junior High I was a track captain. High jump, 200m, and the occasional 100 being my strong points. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in track, I go to online school these days, and haven't really had to desire to go over to the local high school and try out. *shrug* Maybe I'll get back into it.

As for teammates playing Pocket Monsters, not a single one that I knew of. o_o I definitely wouldn't ask, either. I just... never mix Pocket Monsters and School activities together. :x That and I'm too afraid to ask. XD

Yeah, if anyone has some tips on keeping motivation during these races, I'd be glad to hear it, because frankly, I think my motivation dropped, which kept me from excelling at cross-country...though I actually do like it.
i've always picked a person in my time group that i don't really want to lose to, and gone after them. it helps to run a few "niche" races where you'll be competing multiple times with the same people, so you get to know who you want to stay with all the way from the beginning of the race. there was one girl i ran with from a different school, who always managed to beat my times by about half a second every race (no joke; in xc, she beat me by 1 second during intersectional championships, and we ran the 800m together a whole bunch of times where she ultimately beat my PR by 0.2 seconds). i didn't really encounter her in the other races i ran, but i did the 800m so frequently that she became the very symbol of my mediocrity. her constant presence definitely helped to motivate me to get better, just to try for that satisfaction of beating her at least once (i never did). but you'd be surprised how much better you get if you start to get competitive with a few people other than yourself.

interesting fact: 6'2'' is the average height of olympian 400 runners.

and mixing pokemon and school related activities is definitely never a good idea. The track locker room is somewhat of a sanctuary for us pokemon trainers/runners at my school, a place where you can be free to whip out the ds and let it rip.

anyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)