The Well #68 - brightobject

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Tuesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."

I'm brightobject/bo, 21 year-old Korean-American heading into my last semester at art school. Never been much of a competitive pokemon player, but was really involved in the art / creative scenes here on Smogon and Showdown for a while before moving into the social forums. Nowadays I mostly lurk onsite, spending the majority of my time shooting the shit in the GP discord, so it was pretty crazy to see that I'd won the voting for this well!

Growing up, my parents were adamant about not letting me own any video games or personal devices for the longest time-the first video game console I got was a Gamecube at like...11 or 12 years old? This meant I was THAT kid on the playground or at the afterschool program, begging the older kids to borrow the Gameboy just to mess around in Pokemon Emerald for half an hour. Looking back though, playing the game was never really the goal-it was all about just getting more of a peek into the world of Pokemon that I had fallen in love with from the show. I would read Nintendo Power in the school library obsessively to get info on the latest generations of Pokemon. The DPP Adventures comic and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Shinji's Rescue Team comics also played a huge role in really getting me to love Pokemon's characters as much as I did! I remember one of the hypest birthday gifts I ever got was a complete National Pokedex game guide to DPP, even though I owned none of the games--it was really just cool looking at the variety of designs.

Eventually I started looking for places where other people would post Pokemon fan content, and that got me involved in the deviantart Fakemon community. It was a lot more nascent then, and there was tons of weird cultish behavior and outlandish drama. Luckily I was too young and not internet-savvy enough to really get involved in the bad stuff--I made tons of really nice fakemon that I'm still pretty proud of today, and would like to think I held a kind of "respected outsider" position in the community rankings of fakemon artists on deviantart (though ultimately I was still pretty small-time, I rubbed shoulders with a lot of the most popular fakemon artists on deviantart at one point or another). Seeing how most of the successful fakemon creators operate on instagram and other sites now, and with deviantart itself having basically changed completely, I look back on this period of my life with a lot of nostalgia.

I don't remember exactly how but at some point I got into showdown--probably some random high school friends showing me how easy it was to play during computer class. I started looking into the chatrooms, and got involved in the Art Room, finding out about the Smog in the process. I got really excited about the idea of contributing and really grinded for it...not that the barrier to doing so was exactly high, but having my artwork be a part of a group project online was a big deal for me at the time. I ended up moving away from Showdown art room just bc the userbase was younger and I just did not have the sustained chill to deal with that energy, but I kept working hard at the Smog. I poured hours into making illustrations for the e-mag and various other community projects (some of which I still think hold up, by the way!)--I don't remember exactly how I felt when I got the Artist Badge but it definitely must have been one of the proudest moments of my life at the time. I don't have the time or energy around Pokemon fanart that I used to, which is why I'm no longer involved w the (amazing) work being done in Smeragle's / CAP / etc., but I look back on it really fondly-everyone was super supportive and it was awesome to exist in that space and more academic spaces in real life at the same time.

At some point I started checking out Firebot and tryharded to an embarassing degree there, using my artist gimmick to bypass my middling humor and curry favor-- and it worked lol. I remember being active in the irc late into its lifespan and watching discord take over just as I had gotten used to skype and irc (being a general latecomer to the internet). Firebot was an experience for sure--met some of the funniest and smartest people I know and also got savvy to the best / the worst the internet had to offer. After a long period of incredible memes and historical smogon moments (anyone remember Subjugator?) Firebot started to dry up a bit--I eventually became Firemod but in a forum built around having very few rules it wasn't a very demanding or active role compared to what I had already been doing, so I started gravitating towards Cong instead (especially as I started learning more in school about the topics that ppl discussed there). One day I woke up and Firebot was cancelled (I'll save you my thoughts on that whole fiasco) but I'd more or less stopped posting in Firebot by that point so it didn't end up changing too much for me.

Outside of Smogon / Pokemon, I am a manga / comics nut. A huge fan of One Piece (1k hype!) but love most kinds of sequential art and not just action / shounen stuff. Yusuke Murata, Ronald Wimberly, Michael DeForge, and Daniel Warren are some of my idols in the latter department though! I'm also in love with DDR. I'd actually never played it until I entered college. There was a machine they had set up in the freshman dorms that was free to play, and I'm pretty sure they ended up putting it in storage because I would play literally 4-5 hours a day. Any kind of funky / rhythm heavy music in general I am down for, and even though it's hard to access machines in the pandemic, dancing by myself is still a jam. Really though, I just gobble up any kind of visual media since it helps my brain come up with new ideas for drawings and characters. Some recent stuff I've been super into: just finished 100%'ing Hades on Steam, and watched Minari by Lee Isaac Chung. Two masterpieces!

As I mentioned earlier I'm in my senior year, studying for a BFA in Illustration, which really just means I can do whatever I want. I mostly work in a mix of traditional and digital nowadays, using digital editing to finish up and edit a base drawing. You can check out some of my art on instagram for reference: https://www.instagram.com/geathjerk/. As for where I might go after this, there's just so many options...I'm interested in teaching and/or comics, but I think there's still time to just live my life for a bit. College has been a rough ride for me but I've grown a LOT and I'm proud to say that I feel like I'm in a very stable place right now, in spite of the pandemic and everything else 2020 has wrought. Looking forward to a better 2021 (lol)!

And here I am now! Again--mostly a lurker lately, but appreciative of the smogoff love :-) Feel free to ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer!

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What are your five favourite shounen character designs (with pics) and what about them are you particularly drawn to?

Which anime/manga/game/comic/whatever character designs do you remember particularly sticking out to you for communicating the characters’ personalities effectively?

Coolest shounen power?

Do you ever plan on writing the fishing shounen from that legendary IRC log?

I remember your name was “pupper!!!” for a while, so what’s your favourite breed of dog?

Favourite DDR map?

As an extension to Total Clefairy’s question, what is your favourite piece of artwork from your DeviantArt days, your favourite piece of art that you made for Smogon/a Smogonite, and your favourite piece of art you’ve made outside of those those two?

Favourite classical painter and favourite painting?

Brutalism: good or bad?

What’s your hottest (or otherwise most unpopular if you don’t think the take is particularly hot) art opinion?

Favourite bad story that you like despite being able to tell it’s bad while watching/reading? And I mean enjoy “sincerely” (for lack of a better word) as opposed to in a “so bad it’s good” way.

What are some western graphic novels that you think everyone should read and why?

What are some of your favourite non-action manga/anime?

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is your most well-remembered, or favorite, "meme"? Like, if somebody asked you, what piece of internet culture jumps into your mind as eternal?

What made you want to be an artist?

If you could swap your life around and become an expert in any passion / subject / area of study of your choice, what would you pick?

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
When are you playing Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Only for the Nintendo Wii Rated T for Teens

Favorite (or recommended) Hades build? Just finished my first run today lol

Favorite non-Japanese cartoons? Series and movies are both fine

Did you ever manage to find cool architecture or labs at your school?

What's made you interested in doing teaching? I think you mentioned being a TA before but that's about it

Joker? Or Pennywise?

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what is your favourite artwork by another artist? and what's your favourite of your own?

fav hades build?

best video game you played in 2020?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What is your ideal brightness for objects
I really prefer medium-low brightness I have sensitive eyes from looking at screens all day long.

what are your thoughts on that whole fiasco

nah, jks.

- favourite firebot/smogoff thread/s?

- from your lurking, how would you rate smogoff so far (either compared to firebot or in general ig)

- what's the coolest piece of art you've done?

- how does it feel joining cookie in the two-wells club?
-lel

-i have a shit memory, but subjugator is definitely up there. The other iconic one is maybe the rap battle thread (not actually a good thread but I remember spending so much time writing up posts for it lol). The recent ace attorney thread before firebot was shut down was amazing too! Glad ppl are still using that for qdb posts.

-smogoff is fine (?) Feels about exactly the same to firebot was before the purge (not super active but trending slightly up) but the superficial changes have brought in a lot of new users who were really intimidated by the vibe before. To be perfectly honest I don't read too much smogoff so I can't tell you too much.

-ah shit...uh...there's a couple I really love but this is probably the most recent large scale artwork I really threw myself into:

1610466875856.png

two-wells is crazy just because I feel like such a different person from back then but reading my responses feels eerily familiar. IT's been literally years though so I'm not too beat up about the idea

I was gonna ask you if you’d fuck a ghost but u already answered 4 yrs ago
idr my answer then but my answer now is pretty dependent on how well i know the ghost
Your art is mad, are there any passion projects you're working on?
yeah! I've been working on a large-scale fantasy / action story for a couple of years now. It's a vaguely xianxia-inspired style story where the main characters are (loosely) inspired by the Chinese and Western Zodiacs. Not sure if it will ever come to anything, but it's a fun way to blow off creative steam when I'm taking time off work projects.

gu..........?
....metal

how grateful are you to me that, when asked to break the well vote tie, i voted you

howd you get started with art? how old were you when you started? what equipment did you have? was it your parents idea or yours

brightobject

there like moonlight
What are your five favourite shounen character designs (with pics) and what about them are you particularly drawn to?

Which anime/manga/game/comic/whatever character designs do you remember particularly sticking out to you for communicating the characters’ personalities effectively?
Every character in Dorohedoro, every character in Eyeshield 21
Coolest shounen power?
there's a ton of really cool ones, but I'm a fan of Mirio Togata's power from BNHA and the main dude from Fire Punch (regeneration + being set on fire). They have depth but also arent overly complicated and the core concept hits you pretty easily.
Do you ever plan on writing the fishing shounen from that legendary IRC log?
no. but maybe drawing some ppl from it
I remember your name was “pupper!!!” for a while, so what’s your favourite breed of dog?
I like chow chows and the iconic sleep tight puppet (which is a chihuahua mix iirc)
Favourite DDR map?
there are SO MANY great ones but the most iconic one for me is definitely A(Renaissance) by D.J. Amuro. It isn't actually that hard once you get past learning the moves, but it is so flashy and just feels incredible to play every time.
As an extension to Total Clefairy’s question, what is your favourite piece of artwork from your DeviantArt days, your favourite piece of art that you made for Smogon/a Smogonite, and your favourite piece of art you’ve made outside of those those two?
Damn, that's a tough one...true deviantart era means going real far back. Most are fakemon drawings which are sentimental to me but not really my bag anymore. I guess I like this birthday gift I did for one of my real inspirations on the site:
1610470147729.png

As for Smogon, this drawing i did for PU (?) has aged so well. No idea how I did it lol.

1610469028554.png

Favourite classical painter and favourite painting?

Brutalism: good or bad?

What’s your hottest (or otherwise most unpopular if you don’t think the take is particularly hot) art opinion?
-I like Hammershoi's empty rooms
1610470293852.png

Favorite paintings (fine art): Yun-Hyong-Keun's Heaven's Gate paintings

1610470347861.png

Pretty neutral on brutalism, though it can be pretty badass used right. Ultimately I don't have a super keen eye for architecture :B

-hot art take: Pollock is kind of cool

Favourite bad story that you like despite being able to tell it’s bad while watching/reading? And I mean enjoy “sincerely” (for lack of a better word) as opposed to in a “so bad it’s good” way.
Space Patrol Luluco - she da bes

What are some western graphic novels that you think everyone should read and why?

What are some of your favourite non-action manga/anime?
-Watchmen, Anya's Ghost, Simon Hanselmann's work--idk. Too many to count really.

-Wandering Son, Soil, Mononoke (not the Princess tho thats good too)

favourite horse?
a cursory search led me to the Akhal-Teke which looks pretty based

What is your most well-remembered, or favorite, "meme"? Like, if somebody asked you, what piece of internet culture jumps into your mind as eternal?

What made you want to be an artist?

If you could swap your life around and become an expert in any passion / subject / area of study of your choice, what would you pick?
honestly, what isnt a meme at this point...hard to think of any meme in particular. Maybe trolley problems

To be honest I just didn't want to do anything other than art, it's not like I was SUPER into the idea of being an 'artist'- if that makes sense. Once I really leaned into it I figured out just how much I enjoy it though!

Literature / Fiction writing!

brightobject

there like moonlight
When are you playing Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Only for the Nintendo Wii Rated T for Teens

Favorite (or recommended) Hades build? Just finished my first run today lol
So many viable builds lol...but late game / high heat I started running Shield of Zag carrying Lambent Plume through the whole game. Combining the 30~% dodge chance from that item with any decently strong combination of Boons made for some great snowballs. Also shifting your run to work towards two or even three Duo Boons can be a fucking blast. I had one run that had Crystal Clarity and Splitting Headache - meant dropping down my casts to do massive dot damage while I rushed around dealing crits and smashing up stronger ads.

Generally though I'd say my preferences lie with Artemis / Zeus / Poseidon early on, though I've learned to appreciate all the Gods (Especially Dionysus and Demeter).

I'd honestly recommend messing around with every aspect / trinket at least once, I think those will do more to help turn your run into something unique and exciting. Some of the coolest combinations imo are Patroclus' invincibility to help buff GuanYu's ability to lifesteal. Generally thinking carefully about how often your weapons proc and what those proc effects are, and how to leverage that, is key in selecting boons (for example, Chiron Aspect is going to hit up to 8 times with one special, so powerful on-proc effects like Zeus' lightning will be more useful than a percentage crit chance like Artemis'--though Support Fire will be a godsend too). Basically there are very few things I'd rate way above everything else lol.
Favorite non-Japanese cartoons? Series and movies are both fine
adventure time / she ra / bojack (probably a ton Im forgetting rn. cartoons pwn)
Did you ever manage to find cool architecture or labs at your school?
Well I think when I was talking about your uni's building (we met up briefly a year or so ago and walked around his Boston campus), it had more to do with how cutting-edge and extravagant the building was, and not necessarily how much I liked the architecture as a whole (lol). Definitely plenty of cool spaces at my school (RISD) as well-the one that stands out in my memory is the library:

1610476497546.png

What's made you interested in doing teaching? I think you mentioned being a TA before but that's about it
I think I just like talking about art and design with people, and that just bleeds over into teaching about it as well. Generally I think I'm a bit more open to work made informed by a wide range of skillsets and skill levels which just helps me find interesting things about any work instead of writing it off (as a lot of art teachers / artists are wont to do). TA'ing and talking with teachers about that really helped me understand that part of myself!
Joker? Or Pennywise?
PEnnywaiz

what is your favourite artwork by another artist? and what's your favourite of your own?
Ugh. Hard to name a favorite, I've gone through some art that I like already but this illustration by kawayoo for ORAS is fucking amazing:

Another piece of mine that I really like is this big charcoal drawing I did to accompany a passage from cormac McCarthy's the Road (which I still need to get around to reading in full). Was thinking about some eels I saw penned up in a restaurant in Korea while making this--I just love it even though it's not necessarily the flashiest thing I've made.

1610477808086.png

fav hades build?
Already went over some with Mr. U's question but another great run I had involved Mirage Shot with Poseidon / Artemis and an absurd number of Cast-boosting Chaos Boons (including +1 bloodstone) and knock-away effects (flood shot / tidal dash / typhoon / razor shoals / breaking wave / wave pounding / second wave). Basically meant every encounter I walked in, spammed cast, and killed everything instantly.

best video game you played in 2020?
I don't play too many games but probably Sayonara Wild Hearts or Hades.

What are your favourites of these types of things? Can't word this for the life of me hahaha
My memory is truly shot tbh, I've named a couple already but yeah ^^''... I just remember countless nights laughing it up in irc or discord at the epic posting moments.

hope you're doing good big man
likewise man...i hope ginger joe is safe and well rn

what is your ideal order for a steak
Rare / medium rare, depending on preference--I like bloody steaks!

how grateful are you to me that, when asked to break the well vote tie, i voted you
thanky
howd you get started with art? how old were you when you started? what equipment did you have? was it your parents idea or yours
I feel like I've always been drawing--it's hard for me to say but I always stuck more to dry medium than wet (paints etc), I prefered colored pencils, pens, and the like. My parents I think just saw that as my strength and pushed for me to do it by enrolling me in art classes outside of school, but longterm I'm not sure how big of an influence that really had on me since a lot of those classes didn't really push me as hard as I feel they could have in retrospect. Definitely lucky to have parents that supported me in doing this as much as they have.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is the penis mascot thing true?

What is your favorite color?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?

What is your social security number?

Do you have any pets / desire to have pets?

Do you like hats?

What are your favorite sports teams (if you follow sports)?

brightobject

there like moonlight
Is the penis mascot thing true?
Yeah! The basketball team is called the Balls and the hockey team is the Nads. It's all informal though and not "officially" recognized by the school. There used to be some mascot costumes but I think they've been lost or stolen over the years and it's kind of starting to fall off.
What is your favorite color?
Green
Favorite ice cream flavor?
Cookie Dough! or Kiwi, which I make myself pretty often.
If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
Spicy seafood noodles (jjamppong)
Do you have any pets / desire to have pets?
Nope--I think the idea of owning animals is just kind of weird to me, but being around animals is very nice. So it's really a toss-up as to whether I will ever end up getting one. Depends how lonely i get i guess lol
Do you like hats?
Yes! I do not own too many but I have a bucket hat made from a wool blanket my sister made me for christmas. It rocks.
What are your favorite sports teams (if you follow sports)?
I don't follow sports, but I like both the Steelers and the Ravens for basically no reason.
any fave Hades characters?
nyx
Does the existence of brightobject presume the existence of dullobject? If so, who is it?
if they do exist, they're pretty much invisible

brightobject

there like moonlight
favorite manga in general?

any crackhead one piece theories? mine is that gold roger is luffy from the future.

how does it feel knowing that, in the labs final days, you (and molk) actually succeeded in developing firebot
wandering son, soil, eyeshield 21, vinland saga, one piece, dorohedoro

not rly crackhead but im pretty confident
kuzan is the head of SWORD

that was pretty based, I remember doing some sketches of the second firebot too but never got around to it unfortunately

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
do you think it's sort of messed up that we're voting for well #69 but people are still asking questions in well #67?

do you also think you should adopt these questions as your own

eta: ok someone deleted them and locked it nm

uhh

least favourite horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)