Top Five Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Ironmike:

If you don't mind, might I suggest you try listening to The White Stripes, Queens of the Stone Age, and Wolfmother? They're some great modern bands with lots of classic rock influences.
I actually like Queens of the Stone Age, wouldn't be near my top five bands, but their good.

I don't rate the White Stripes at all.

never listened to wolfmother before, but I checked out a couple of their songs on your recommendation just now, and I like what I've heard so far, I have to admit.

Yeah, my original statement might have been a bit unfair I'm thinkin now. My tastes do lean towards 60s/70s more often than not, but there are a few modern bands I like. Still, I should have thought about it a bit more, and sorry if I offended anyone.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Don't be sorry, they jumped down your throat for weak reasons. Like what you want to like (as long as you keep an open mind).

I think mine have already popped out somewhere in this thread, but anyways:

1.- Radiohead
2.- The Cure
3.- Metallica
4.- Opeth
5.- Tool

Don't be sorry, they jumped down your throat for weak reasons. Like what you want to like (as long as you keep an open mind).
naw, there was a reason.

and he probably would have done the same thing if someone said "all music before 1980 sucks". :toast:

this thread is waaaaaaaay out of line.

first: stop the goddamn flamewars. this isn't goddamn firebot. i dont care if he started it or if you can insult him for being a dicksucker, you just don't do that crap on renaissance. secondly;

Oh ok you look pretty cool
Thanks, it's a bit out of date though, no more ponytail.
are you guys serious? look at that. these are examples of posts we don't around here either. they have NOTHING to do with the topic. you think this guy looks cool? Great! hit him up on pm. dont fucking post about it. is your avatar out of date? that's a real fucking shame but don't post about it on a topic about BANDS.

with that said, this is this thread's final warning and from now on any shitty posts will be swiftly dealt with infractions. this has gone long enough.

I'm a horrible moderator but at least i dont suck dicks like hazerider

Blind Guardian
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Sonata Arctica
Iced Earth
I doubt you will even see this post, but you can find a lot better than Gamma Ray. Not that they are not nice (for instance, they are heavily interrelated with Helloween of course), but there is a lot more daring and I guess "important" power/progressive metal out there like Ayreon.

Not gonna lie. My Chemical Romance and New Found Glory are both pretty damn catchy. I can't stand Simple Plan though. They're so fake.

in no particular order,

Radiohead
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Guns and Roses

Honourable mentions
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Beatles
Nirvana
Iron Maiden
The Eagles
Dire Straits
The Strokes
Blue Oyster Cult
The Kooks
Bob Dylan
David Bowie

Tool
OOMPH!
A Perfect Circle
Megaherz

5th is too hard to say. Nine Inch Nails, King Crimson, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Rammstein... Toughie.

W.e..

Incubus
Slipknot
InnerPartySystem
Spoon
The Kooks..

or sth like this... but the first two are the my real fav ones.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hmm in no order because it's too hard to say but: Radiohead, System of a Down, Dream Theater, Pearl Jam, Death Cab

It's always changing though, I always try to discover new music(well, new to me at least) so next week it will probably be a different top 5 lol

pookar

Banned deucer.
hi

Pookar: I heard "Pull me Under" by Dream Theater thanks to Guitar Hero World Tour, and it now one of my all time favorite songs! Since you're a big fan of theirs, what album would you recommend me listening to first?
mister Bran, Images and Words is their second studio album and the first one with LaBrie. It is almost hands down their best album, with rivals being Awake and Scenes from a Memory. Now, if you could get every album, I would, because each one has a really unique sound to it, and thats why many people have diverse favorites. Train of Thought is really thrashy and heavy, Six Degrees is pretty soft and reminds me a bit of Images and Words at times. Octavarium is sort of overrated but its still a great album. A bit darker , but not heavier, than the other albums. FoI, i don't have so i can't comment but its not bad from what I've heard. new album coming out Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Systematic Chaos has been voted their worst album, but again its not bad. In the Presence "suite" is great, i personally like The Ministry of Lost Souls.

tl;dr but start out with images/scenes and then awake and if you wanna continue, go with six degrees then octavarium/tot/foi based on your tastes as i described the albums above.

All but the top three constantly fluctuate:

1) Threshold
2) Sonata Arctica
3) Extol
4) Divinefire
5) Shadow Gallery/Spheric Universe Experience/Thy Majestie

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
mister Bran, Images and Words is their second studio album and the first one with LaBrie. It is almost hands down their best album, with rivals being Awake and Scenes from a Memory. Now, if you could get every album, I would, because each one has a really unique sound to it, and thats why many people have diverse favorites. Train of Thought is really thrashy and heavy, Six Degrees is pretty soft and reminds me a bit of Images and Words at times. Octavarium is sort of overrated but its still a great album. A bit darker , but not heavier, than the other albums. FoI, i don't have so i can't comment but its not bad from what I've heard. new album coming out Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Systematic Chaos has been voted their worst album, but again its not bad. In the Presence "suite" is great, i personally like The Ministry of Lost Souls.

tl;dr but start out with images/scenes and then awake and if you wanna continue, go with six degrees then octavarium/tot/foi based on your tastes as i described the albums above.
A Change of Seasons is also worth checking out solely for the amazing title track. Falling into Infinity is IMO their worst album, but that's not saying much since all Dream Theater albums are generally written well and consistent.

I've also given a listen to Black Clouds and Silver Linings and I enjoyed it, it's no Images & Words but it is pretty decent. Not the best album to get when you're just starting to listen to the band though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)