Metagame Trademarked

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7trademarked-904903079 fun bro is back and better than ever, endless battle clause cannot stop it as heal pulse is considered an ability and abilities don’t have pps, even if you’re not healing your opponent you can still stall out 100+ turn with truant and spore, this is blocked by a pivot move, but if you manage to trap a pokemon that doesn’t have access to one you can pretty much stall out until 4 digit numbers. this is very unwelcoming to new players who are trying to learn the format. the only thing you can do to ban this is to ban ingrain, truant isn’t gonna do anything because all it does is just stall out more turns. basically if you start this combo you can’t be stopped. 252+ Atk Choice Band Kartana Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro on a critical hit: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7trademarked-904923580 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7trademarked-904918844 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7trademarked-904919979 I also thought of counterplay to uturn and ghost types, for ghost types you can just use soak tm, and for uturn you can use either lando-t with imprison and uturn or eject button’s weird mechanics+recycle tm to never let your opponent switch. shed shell is countered by embargo/magic room and a knock off. I don’t see an obvious counterplay here.

Last edited:
I'm having fun using this

Vileplume @ Big Root
Ability: Strength Sap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Grassy Terrain / Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

Basically you yust recover your HP over and over again. This thing hates Weavile btw. I was able to 1v1 +3 Xurkitree with that.

So saddens to me to say it , but do to the uncompetetive nature ingrain can bring on top of the realization that even if heal pulse went there is defintiely possibility for other similar setups that can be just as stally or initiate endless battles, I am banning ingrain as of today. Honestly even though there werent much abusing , it doesnt mean people wont start to , and there is potentially other setups outside of the move ingrain as a tm when used with skill swap. tagging The Immortal

Well in other news I like to formerly welcome the first new addition to the trademarked council SamHPL . He has been posting a bit iin this thread and has been helping me test things behind the scenes before this got omotm and seem to have a degree of overall ability to help.

I have something I plan on posting tomorrow (I would do today but I wanna look at a few things first) an event that most of you may have already heard already. Please look forward to it. Thanks once again for playing trademarked

Last edited:
I think Mat Block is potentially an unnecessary ban. It's learned only by Greninja and all it does is get Greninja in safely. Greninja loses Protean as well. Best case it adds another usable Pokemon to the metagame.

Also Hoopa-U is broken
1. Throh also gets Mat Block
2. Unlike King’s Shield, Pokemon outside of Smeargle get this move in the metagame. I think it’s best for it to stay banned.

I think Mat Block is potentially an unnecessary ban. It's learned only by Greninja and all it does is get Greninja in safely. Greninja loses Protean as well. Best case it adds another usable Pokemon to the metagame.

Also Hoopa-U is broken
As easy as setting hazards up can be in this meta, Mat Block and King's Shield form an infinite loop without hazards up, don't they? And as easy getting hazards up is, getting them off is also quite easy.

As easy as setting hazards up can be in this meta, Mat Block and King's Shield form an infinite loop without hazards up, don't they? And as easy getting hazards up is, getting them off is also quite easy.
Doesn't the 1 trademark clause prevent that?

Doesn't the 1 trademark clause prevent that?
Mat Block and King's Shield can be put on separate Pokemon. It's like Parting Shot + King's Shield back in the beginning of the month.

While apparently Mat Block gets no priority increase (unlike King's Shield), and it similarly protects only from attacks, I'm already having nasty flashbacks of Parting Shot + King's Shield if Mat Block is unbanned as a trademark (complete with needing a Smeargle for one end and basically losing your Pokemon slot for the other). Much the same team can be constructed to take advantage of the infinite stall that would result (e.g. Defog trademark guy, Heal Bell/Aromatherapy trademark guy, Toxic trademark guy, maybe Magnezone).

The Immortal

They Don't Want None
is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Other Metas Leader
...just ban King's Shield? OP seems to have not banned it for some reason despite banning every protection move. King's Shield brings nothing to this metagame. Mat Block potentially adds another viable Pokemon to the metagame.

Heatran @ Leftovers (?)
Ability: stealthrock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD (idk)
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Breaks stall and put rocks when entering in battle. I think it can be good

Ok regarding kings shield and mat block. My honest views on kings shield is that with smeargle being its only user. A mon that barely has any offensive or defensive presence and leans more towardw support it doesnt really cause any issues outside of some intricate or niche setups. Kings shield doesnt help smeargle deal with offensive threats well and in any case the obvious play for any smeargle using kings shield unless it has a sash still ready is to immediately switch out. Smeargle cant really stay alive for more than 2 turns vs most things without spore and a sash or the mon in question being really passive. This is why i saw no reason to ban it especially as I carried banlist over from last gen.

In terms of mat block I feel greninja may be muchhh more of a threat with it as a move and honestly I cant say whether or not that may be to bannable levels or not. Greninja on top of having mat block has access to u turn which would allow gren to pretty much scout out the opponent for the entire team and help with safe switchins. It also (as opposed to smeargle) will have less cases where it is forced out and can therefore opp to hard switch, attack or u turn out. Greninja in this case could then also easier come into things it beats 1v1 or be able to avoid would be checks or counters to it with much more ease. Now I know in terms of raw power gren is much more lacking than other stuff in trademarked off its average attacking stats. Honestly this is just my views on a first glance regarding this. But in any case if the community leans more so towards unbanning mat block, kings shield will definitely need to be banned in doing so to avoid stall loops.

In terms of mat block I feel greninja may be muchhh more of a threat with it as a move and honestly I cant say whether or not that may be to bannable levels or not. Greninja on top of having mat block has access to u turn which would allow gren to pretty much scout out the opponent for the entire team and help with safe switchins. It also (as opposed to smeargle) will have less cases where it is forced out and can therefore opp to hard switch, attack or u turn out. Greninja in this case could then also easier come into things it beats 1v1 or be able to avoid would be checks or counters to it with much more ease. Now I know in terms of raw power gren is much more lacking than other stuff in trademarked off its average attacking stats. Honestly this is just my views on a first glance regarding this. But in any case if the community leans more so towards unbanning mat block, kings shield will definitely need to be banned in doing so to avoid stall loops.

Just FYI, if Mat Block gets unbanned, it combined with King’s Shield completely walls any team without hazards, since you can constantly switch in with no harm done. I get how common hazards are in this meta, but Defog is also super common as a result. EDIT oh wait that’s stated in the post whoops my bad

Also, as I said earlier, Throh also gets Mat Block, in case anyone cares.

EDIT 2 Because of Mat Block’s wider distribution, it should remain banned rather than King’s Shield becoming banned.

Last edited:

Hoopa Unbound Is being Suspected

After all the talk I have decided to suspect hoopa unbound in the om trademarked. Hoopa unbound is without question one of the most potent wall breakers in the meta, and with sub sets can even become a bane for offense and balance as very little can survive its coverage off its ubers level offensive stats. Very little exist that can reliably switch into most of its sets, and very unlikely something that can swap into all of them, which stay between sub, laser focus and nasty plot (with the first being the most potent). And though held back by its speed in standard, in trademarked it is given ample opportunity to be more of a threat than usual.
How to vote:
  • Make an alt with HUS (Hoopa Unbound Suspect) in the name (not spread out, but together)
  • Have at least 30 games on the alt
  • Have a gxe of 78 minimum
  • Vote BAN, DO NOT BAN, or ABSTAIN
  • I would appreciate at least a small and reasonable explanation of why you voted as such.
Hoopa-Unbound will be banned for the duration of the suspect. The suspect will end in two weeks on May 21st at 9pm est .Tagging The Immortal to implement this

Last edited:
Some odd things I’ve noticed: mawile can’t run swords dance and Volcarona can’t run quiver dance, but it can run calm mind? Is it just me?

I've been playing this metagame for a bit now and came up with this set for Weavile which has worked pretty good so far.

Weavile @ Darkinium Z | Icium Z | Fightinium Z
Ability: Laser Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab | Low Kick

Laser Focus ensures that Weavile's moves are going to crit next turn and I'm unsure if anyone else here has posted something like this. The only drawback is switch-ins that resist the move that's selected and the occasional sash. I've been having fun with this set so far and thought I'd share it here.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lead with a spikes TM and outspeed the opponent they take spike damage at the start of the battle, is this a bug?
Its how it works coding wise based on what urkerab told me when i asked him regarding it, the same effect applies to other jazards first turn if the user is faster than the mon coming in on he first turn. He said the only other thing he could code is for in the case of a slower mon settig up hazards off a trademark that it would also do dmg then.

After Hoopa-U, will transform Mew be suspected too?

With Max HP and Speed + choice scarf, it's like a mega ditto.

The only efective counters are stall (pp is very low on transformed mew) and substitute users. And In case of substitue, It can use U-Turn (for Hoopa-U) or Hyper Voice (for weakened foes). In last case, even healing wish to it's sub user or tank partners ir Just explodes to breaks The sub and Bring a counter safely.

Sry for bad english :S

After Hoopa-U, will transform Mew be suspected too?

With Max HP and Speed + choice scarf, it's like a mega ditto.

The only efective counters are stall (pp is very low on transformed mew) and substitute users. And In case of substitue, It can use U-Turn (for Hoopa-U) or Hyper Voice (for weakened foes). In last case, even healing wish to it's sub user or tank partners ir Just explodes to breaks The sub and Bring a counter safely.

Sry for bad english :S
I doubt Transform Mew will be suspected. Leftovers Mew gets thrashed by Choice Scarf/Tailwind on another mon/separate speed booster trademark user/faster mons. Scarf Mew is locked into one move. Neither like priority all that much. There are even more creative ways to "Imposter"-proof such as status, Defense/Special Defense-boosting trademark users, Reflect/Light Screen trademark users, and Heart Swap/Haze(/Psych Up/Topsy-turvy/Power Split) trademark users.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)