Metagame Trademarked

Hi! I really like this meta, but people seem to be struggling against stakataka so i wanted to post my personal favorite counter to stak,
Cofagrigus!

Heres the set i use (credit to lady gaga da pan for making it )
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: willowisp
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Hex
- Pain Split
- Destiny Bond

The reason why i like this so much is just how defensive it is, its incredibly useful to cripple physical mons and a great counter to stakataka. it has a low speed stat making it very fast in tr, and for a defensive mon it does p decent damage with hex after you get the status in. If they switch into chansey ( you most probably will when you attack with hex) get free recovery with pain split, and its access to toxic spikes is also useful where switching is super important. Some downsides is that its p weak to sub but if you have a pivot move like u-turn or volt you can get rid of the sub and cripple them. Also sunnyday victini also can kill this so watch out for that. But I want to encourage people to use this mon its just amazing imo. Also destiny bond is kinda a free slot to me bc cofa is too slow to use that without tr.

and something to add
252+ Atk Choice Band Weavile Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 32-38 (10 - 11.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 74-90 (23.1 - 28.1%) -- 76% chance to 4HKO

Last edited:
Personally i prefer manaphy though cause it has a better speed tier even if not the same level of raw power xurk has
Xurkitree is no stranger to running Scarf sets, which considering that absolutely absurd SpA Stat, might make it worth it. I'd also argue the coverage that Xurkitree has is better. It really comes down to if you're willing to run Scarf

Voting ban on hoopa-u.
Short reasoning: It's broken with sub and sub isn't the thing that's being suspected soooo.

Long reasoning: Hoopa-U's insane movepool, which includes a lot of strong coverage such as drain punch, gunk shot, the punches, but also techs such as hyperspace hole or psychic, hidden power, etc. for a mixed set, make it an insanely strong mon. Combined with the dominant sub, hoopa-u has 1 edge over any sub user: it's immune to mirror move/me first as pokemon that use that cannot do so against Hyperspace Fury's uniqueness.
Hoopa-U also simply does not care about subs, and the few mons that would break it (heracross with pin missile, sub buzzwole) die to hyperspace hole tech which you really have spots for aplenty. Choice band or LO sets (the latter with wish support) make hoopa-u able to 2hko the entire meta basically and paired with sub that becomes broken as it cannot be revenged easily.
That being said I do believe sub is the issue in this meta, in the (combined) 280 games I've played the past 10 days, all I see is sub ruining teams solo without much effort, especially sub buzz, sub kommoo, sub hera, sub heatran, sub exca... to no end. Even bad sub users are okay because they still tank that hit. Basically every mon is mimikyu on steroids. Even mimiyu is mimikyu on steroids. It's insane.

Ktütverde

no one beats the bug fan
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending PU Circuit Champion
I agree with Darthikyu 's point: "Basically every mon is mimikyu on steroids. Even mimiyu is mimikyu on steroids. It's insane. "

What should have been suspected first is sub imo, I went undefeated with sub teams (my losses happened when i wasnt using sub!). However the hoopa-U suspect is engaged, so ill forget for a moment that sub is broke and look at hoopa-u. Super strong and able to run trickroom very viably, and being the best sub user in the tier since 1) it has almost no real switchin except alolan muk ig 2) mirrormove/mefirst cant copy hyperspace fury cuz it can be used only by hoppa-u. Everyone say the same, so i wont explain more.

Idm getting rid of hoopa since im p sure @ trickroom hoopa-u will be too much for the tier even if @ sub gets banned.

Sub buzzwole and sub heatran allowed me to do this super-super-way-too easily, they just decimate entire teams.

Ban Hoopa-U and suspect sub pls.

Can someone tell me if this a bug at turn 16 ? I'd must have outspeed him with my Alakazam, but it looks like you can't use trick room and move just after that... Is there any link with the priority...?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7trademarked-906132168
Speed is calculated at the start of the turn.... thus the reverse trick room didn't work...... just like in doubles if my prankster whimsicott sets up tailwind my other mon doesn't outspeed my opponents....... or if I switch in my pelipper and my mega swampert is already in it doesn't get the swift swim boost on that turn.

I'm voting to ban Hoopa-Unbound.

The sub set is incredibly strong and even would-be counters (like Magearna or reflect Tapu Fini) are not only immensely pressured but also ineffective if Hoopa is fire punch or thunderbolt (especially if it is nasty plot). Not only is it a broken user of substitute and trick room, provided it isn't playing against trick room room itself, but, with hyperspace fury or hyperspace hole, it makes it so other sub pokemon are useless in taking it down. Alolan Muk might be the best counter but focus punch+sub sets destroy it and drain punch whittles it out.

Ktütverde

no one beats the bug fan

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Rain Dance
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: substitute
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Toxic

Some sets that ive been enjoying a lot. Primarina's sparkling aria goes through subs and targets buzzwole's low spdef and heatran's water weakness. You can also run reflect over rain dance. Rain dance turns it into a fearsome wallbreaker and cancels victini's/heatran's sun. A pokemon that you should definitely try out, it has a solid niche in this meta as an anti-sub pokemon able to wallbreak at the same time:

252 SpA Choice Specs Primarina Sparkling Aria vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole in Rain: 538-634 (128.7 - 151.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Rhyperior is an amazing @ sub user cuz 1) it can make subs that chansey is unable to break 2) it has focuspunch (broke with sub lmao) 3) it doesn't have real counterplay: you can toxic chesnaught, focuspunch skarmory, and hit almost everything not named magnet rise doublade. I like using it as my sub because it blocks voltswitches and deals with @ sunny day banded victini (one of the scariest wallbreakers) quite well (at least it doesnt die after one hit):

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior in Sun: 219-258 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(don't forget u only lose 25% upon switch-in cuz u have sub)

Speed EVs to outspeed chansey.

1) What bothers me is how the ability stealthrock works: if you look at this replay of lectrys

you can see victini being damaged by @ stealth rock even though it was sent on turn1, which makes no sense because the priority of trademarks is of +0 amirite? even if it isn't +0, a switch has simply an infinite priority which can only be outprioritized by pursuit.

"Pursuit is a special exception to the general rule of priority, due to its effect. Switching fundamentally happens before any moves can be performed, but when Pursuit is targeting a Pokémon that switches out, it will hit the Pokémon before it can switch, meaning that it will go before any other move, no matter its priority. " from: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Priority

So how can @ stealthrock happen before the switch in of victini on the field on turn1? Even if @ trademarks had a prio of say +5 (highest prio possible after infinite priorities like switches and pursuit), they should happen after a switch obviously. Thus the Archeops's @ stealthrock is bugged because Victini's switch-in in this replay as a lower priority than @ stealth rock from archeops. That seems obvious if we just read what happens

"Go! Victini!

Abyssal Bot sent out Archeops!
[The opposing Archeops's Stealth Rock]

The opposing Archeops used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
Pointed stones dug into Victini!"

But that could just be the replay that isn't adapted to show that stealth rock has a priority similar to pursuit when used as a trademark.

2) So now talking about priority.. I maybe missed some posts that mentioned it, but after checking kinda quickly the different posts in this thread, I haven't seen it being discussed (please gimme the links to posts mentioning it if im wrong).

I had a test game on the OU ladder and quickly found a "landorus vs pelipper turn1", with my landorus being faster than pelipper. First thing, the order in which pokémons are sent on turn1 doesn't depend on their respective speed. Example:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906253272 : pelipper is slower but is seen being sent first (im faster cuz i attack first on turn1)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906257317: pelipper is slower too but sent last (asked a friend to bring a peli without speed)

then the abilities that activate upon touching the field will be activating with the same "priority" (intimidate goes first if landorus is faster, else drizzle goes first. Same with grassy terrain, lets say they all have a "priobility" of +0).

examples:
drizzle activates before intimidate since peli is scarfed here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906260609
inti goes before grassyterrain cuz tapubulu slower: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906279048
here grassy goes first (scarf bulu): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-906279559
etc

I'm then assuming it works the same way for trademarks, so we can as well consider that all trademarks are the trademark "assist" (ik its banned) that can only select moves from a reservoir which only contains 1 move: the move you want as a trademark. Since assist has a priority of +0, then my schematization is just obvious (if trademarks can have priority then just tell me, I haven't seen anything talking about prio yet).

So thanks to the list by TrainerX493 , we can see magic coat isn't banned although it is a protect move. Actually, all trademarks that are non-assistable status moves should be banned. The list of non-assistable moves can be found here (u have to click a "show" button):
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Assist_(move)#Uncallable_moves
Roar and Protect are there, as well as moves like trick, transform, me first and Mirror Move, which aren't in the banlist. I dont feel like going test if these moves actually dont work as trademarks, I guess some will provoke bugs since Lectrys already showed mirror move is bugged, which makes sense since it's a non-assistable move for this reason: priority error.

PS: If someone could explain me why trick isn't assistable please, idgi.
Trick is not assistable as all moves involving the switching/moving of items (other than knock off i guess), cannot be called by assist.

Hey guys, I wanted to drum up some Metagame Discussion™ by sharing some teams I've been using!

I wrote a little RMT up about the volt-turn eject button spam team I used to get reqs:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trademarked-infinite-loop-team-which-won-a-roomtour.3650110/#post-8125083
I've also been playing around with weather teams. Here's a sunnyroom team:
https://pokepast.es/777b2e6ff6ce8991
And here's a rain squad:
https://pokepast.es/0c4852dfe222ba7e
I've also been trying to adapt traditional HO to a substitute- and willo-heavy meta. Here's a Lucario Spikes squad:
https://pokepast.es/cb735b3e076f88ca
These teams have worked ok on ladder but they could definitely use some tuning up. I'm excited to see what people continue to create in this meta! Thanks Ktütverde for giving me the push to post these

Last edited:
A bit of a meme set but this metagame opens up the door to a lot of different playstyles, one of which is trick room. We know this.
However, a pokemon that really abuses trick room for everything it can is Shuckle.
Shuckle @ Choice Band
Ability: Power Trick
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball

Obviously shuckle is shuckle, it trades its def with its atk under power trick but doesn't lose a turn doing so now, not to mention nothing switches in safely on a mon with 912 attack (or thereabout)

Ktütverde

no one beats the bug fan
Seems like there are no Sample Teams yet, and no Viability Rankings either. Let's see if I can help fixing that:

1) Sample Teams

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/d02d4468635ca7ef
=== [gen7trademarked] 8) SunnyRain Abusers ===

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: sunnyday
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: mirrormove
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Defog
- U-turn

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: raindance
Timid Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: swordsdance
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: thunderwave
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Curse
- Gyro Ball

=== [gen7trademarked] 7) Weavile+Volcarona ===

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash

Volcarona @ Choice Specs
Ability: quiverdance
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: magnetrise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: wish
EVs: 252 Def / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: defog
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Haze

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: rockpolish
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

=== [gen7trademarked] 6) Aquaring Vincune ===

Chansey @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Taunt

Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Nidoqueen @ Eject Button
Ability: toxicspikes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: aquaring
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Defog

=== [gen7trademarked] 5) Infiltrator Specs Candelabrum ===

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Overheat

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: heartswap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: leechseed
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: stealthrock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Fire Blast
- Rest

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: calmmind
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Taunt

=== [gen7trademarked] 4) Ktut TrickRoom ===

Primarina @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald

Cofagrigus @ Darkinium Z
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Hex
- Toxic Spikes

Cresselia @ Eject Button
Ability: trickroom
Relaxed Nature
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Recycle

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

=== [gen7trademarked] 3) Sub Rhyperior Balance ===

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Mean Look
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Hex

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Roar
- Synthesis

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Toxic

=== [gen7trademarked] 2) Sun Balance ===

Slowbro @ Eject Button
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Defog
- U-turn

Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Roost

=== [gen7trademarked] 1) Ktut Stall ===

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Baneful Bunker

Chansey @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Mew @ Mewnium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Roost

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swords Dance
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Dual Chop

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Punch

Here are all my teams, that I've been testing on the ladder mainly for a couple of days.
1) Chansey+Buzzwole stall. Scarf SD chomp is a very reliable heatran check and manaphy/xurkitree revengekiller. Mew used to be scarf Imposter but that set kinda sucks since the top sweepers are scarf+@ tailglow or SD+ @ tailwind. I put a @ wow mew because holy shit, @ wow is really good. Skarmory with @ defog is probably the best defogger available in the metagame, using @ spikes is cool but a stall team works better with no spikes on both sides than with spikes on both sides (if you don't have an instant defogger, chansey will struggle to pivot in on voltswitches or chatot's boomburst for example).

2) Sun balance utilizing slowbro as a sun setter and venu+tran as good sun abusers. Venu is one of the best megas imo since all teams need counterplay to @ leechseed and @ toxicspikes as well as @ sub breloom / buzzwole / conkeldurr. Venu also checks manaphy and xurkitree with a SpD investment. @ Sub tran is dumb, Koko is a very reliable defogger and revengekiller thanks to @ mirror move (rvengekills heatran after they used earthpower or kommoO after they used clanging scales). @ twave hydreigon speed control and anti-sweeper, also it is the main heatran check.

3) Balance team utilizing the infamous @ wish + @ sub combo, rhyperior here to check victini and stop voltswitches. Gengar with @ wow is definitely not a bad pokemon and burns physical attackers before they can switch out, also it is the mandatory toxicspikes remover. Alakazam acts as the speed control and can become dumb if it Traces something like sub or tailglow. Skarm+chesnaught cover physical attackers, notably buzzwole and breloom.

4) Trickroom. It took me a moment to figure out the optimal combo between cofa and cress. Both set up trickroom in their own way and can heal a pokemon bacl to full each. Camerupt was supposed to be mega but that implied losing the sunnyday, so i just made it specs and that worked better. Primarina is fairly slow and not only does it hit very hard, but it also ignores subs thanks to its Aria that OHKO many @ sub users, once it KOed a kyuremblack which was at 53% behind a sub: prim is no joke. COnkeldurr is @ sub because sub is the best trademark and guarantess safe revengekilling and/or wallbreaking. Mawile gets to +6 in one turn thanks to SD+hugepower, really scary. Also it is the best mon vs stall, since prim/camel/conkeldurr are walled easily by chansey+skarm/venusaur/etc.

5) Chandelure is a surprisingly good pokemon in a metagame where @ sub prevails. Infiltrator is a big "no" to this thing. It works just like primarina. Magearna full spD with @ heartswap is probably the best manaphy/xurk check, really fabtastic glue and pivot+cleric. Venusaur again cuz venu is good, anti-leech/tspikes/buzzwole/breloom as usual. Tank chomp is a cool glue able to take on victini, heatran and scizor among others. Keldeo is @ CM instead of @ sub cuz its not that great at subbing and kills itself too early. Chandelure isnt reliable vs chansey teams so CM keldeo was my final choice to wallbreak while retaining speed control. @ sd +scarf lando is a ridiculously pokemon, so it happens to be here too as speed control and ground immunity.

6) Chansey+buzzwole again, sorry lol, but this core is insane and you can put 4 random mons with them and still win. I added some important roles such as : electric immunity, tspikes absorber (nidoqueen); heatran check, victini check, water resist (vincune) (shiny and relaxed nature are mandatory, I added speed to outspeed -1 spe band victini; scarf sd lando, no need to explain it.

7) This team is less reliable and struggles vs stuff like kartana, but weavile+volcarona wont let you down, together they break through toxapex, chansey, everything actually. But I didnt manage to build real offense teams cuz there are too many @ subs @ haze @ twave @ trickroom in this meta, so I stick to bulky builds with our Lord and Savior Chansey. @ magnet rise doublade is an amazing buzzwole+garchomp+lando check.

8) A team built around band @ sunnyday victini, dumb mon. Primarina has good type synergy with it, checks opposing sun abusers (heatran, tini) and is a "@ sub revengekiller" thx to its aria. Koko good defogger in offense and speed control. Ferro with @ twave, I believe twave is one of the best trademarks thats completely dumb vs offense teams without a cleric. Also ferro is the xurk/manaphy check. Lando again cuz its awesome, and kommo as a secondary fire resist, secondary water resists AND secondary Sub killer thanks to its sound moves clanging scales/clangorous soulblaze. Thats the best I could so as "offense" , i think Trademarked teams need defensive backup due to all these anti-offense techs that go rampant in the tier.

2) Now, my Viability Rankings nominations (in alphabetical order inside ranks):

S rank

Chansey is ultra splashable (stall, semistall, balance, bulkyoffense) thanks to the incredible role compression of @ wish + aromatherapy + stealth rock. Paired with sub buzzwole for example, they can decimate entire teams on their own. It makes teams suddenly less weak to the likes of chatot, tapukoko, xurkitree, -insert special attacker-.
Probably the best @ sub user. Its high HP allows it to make subs that tank one seismic toss from chansey, while its large physical bulk makes it a very splashable landorus, garchomp, breloom and weavile check.
Landorus: there is no reason not to use it, especially the @ swordsdance + scarf set which can come in and out forever since it is immune to spikes and maintain momentum with a uturn/vswitch resistance/immunity, and +2 uturns able to dent would-be switchins severely. @ rockpolish + flyniumZ+uturn is also an extremely effective revengekiller; the same can be said about @ rockpolish + choiceband.
Chansey @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Taunt

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Swords Dance / Knock Off / Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Polish
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

A+ rank

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Dual Chop

Magearna @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Manaphy @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tail Glow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Substitute
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Sunny Day
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

A rank

A- rank

I don't wanna write too much, I explained my S noms which are the most important. Feel free to comment on my proposals, and to submit your own noms :]

edit: there are some mistakes in the teams, most of them are really dumb things like the "vincune" team not being a vincune team anymore (can still be used over the pseudo-crocune). Some evs or natures might not be good (like naive instead of jolly or some EVs to speed creep stuff not having been added, feel free to do it yourself if you wanna use the teams).

Last edited:
Seems like there are no Sample Teams yet, and no Viability Rankings either. Let's see if I can help fixing that:

1) Sample Teams

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/d02d4468635ca7ef
=== [gen7trademarked] 8) SunnyRain Abusers ===

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Defog
- U-turn

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Curse
- Gyro Ball

=== [gen7trademarked] 7) Weavile+Volcarona ===

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash

Volcarona @ Choice Specs
Ability: quiverdance
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat

Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Def / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Haze

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

=== [gen7trademarked] 6) Aquaring Vincune ===

Chansey @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Taunt

Doublade @ Eviolite
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Nidoqueen @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: aquaring
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Defog

=== [gen7trademarked] 5) Infiltrator Specs Candelabrum ===

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Overheat

Magearna @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Fire Blast
- Rest

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Taunt

=== [gen7trademarked] 4) Ktut TrickRoom ===

Primarina @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald

Cofagrigus @ Darkinium Z
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Hex
- Toxic Spikes

Cresselia @ Eject Button
Relaxed Nature
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast
- Recycle

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

=== [gen7trademarked] 3) Sub Rhyperior Balance ===

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Mean Look
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Hex

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Roar
- Synthesis

Chansey @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Toxic

=== [gen7trademarked] 2) Sun Balance ===

Slowbro @ Eject Button
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Defog
- U-turn

Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Roost

=== [gen7trademarked] 1) Ktut Stall ===

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Baneful Bunker

Chansey @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Mew @ Mewnium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Roost

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Dual Chop

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Ice Punch

Here are all my teams, that I've been testing on the ladder mainly for a couple of days.
1) Chansey+Buzzwole stall. Scarf SD chomp is a very reliable heatran check and manaphy/xurkitree revengekiller. Mew used to be scarf Imposter but that set kinda sucks since the top sweepers are scarf+@ tailglow or SD+ @ tailwind. I put a @ wow mew because holy shit, @ wow is really good. Skarmory with @ defog is probably the best defogger available in the metagame, using @ spikes is cool but a stall team works better with no spikes on both sides than with spikes on both sides (if you don't have an instant defogger, chansey will struggle to pivot in on voltswitches or chatot's boomburst for example).

2) Sun balance utilizing slowbro as a sun setter and venu+tran as good sun abusers. Venu is one of the best megas imo since all teams need counterplay to @ leechseed and @ toxicspikes as well as @ sub breloom / buzzwole / conkeldurr. Venu also checks manaphy and xurkitree with a SpD investment. @ Sub tran is dumb, Koko is a very reliable defogger and revengekiller thanks to @ mirror move (rvengekills heatran after they used earthpower or kommoO after they used clanging scales). @ twave hydreigon speed control and anti-sweeper, also it is the main heatran check.

3) Balance team utilizing the infamous @ wish + @ sub combo, rhyperior here to check victini and stop voltswitches. Gengar with @ wow is definitely not a bad pokemon and burns physical attackers before they can switch out, also it is the mandatory toxicspikes remover. Alakazam acts as the speed control and can become dumb if it Traces something like sub or tailglow. Skarm+chesnaught cover physical attackers, notably buzzwole and breloom.

4) Trickroom. It took me a moment to figure out the optimal combo between cofa and cress. Both set up trickroom in their own way and can heal a pokemon bacl to full each. Camerupt was supposed to be mega but that implied losing the sunnyday, so i just made it specs and that worked better. Primarina is fairly slow and not only does it hit very hard, but it also ignores subs thanks to its Aria that OHKO many @ sub users, once it KOed a kyuremblack which was at 53% behind a sub: prim is no joke. COnkeldurr is @ sub because sub is the best trademark and guarantess safe revengekilling and/or wallbreaking. Mawile gets to +6 in one turn thanks to SD+hugepower, really scary. Also it is the best mon vs stall, since prim/camel/conkeldurr are walled easily by chansey+skarm/venusaur/etc.

5) Chandelure is a surprisingly good pokemon in a metagame where @ sub prevails. Infiltrator is a big "no" to this thing. It works just like primarina. Magearna full spD with @ heartswap is probably the best manaphy/xurk check, really fabtastic glue and pivot+cleric. Venusaur again cuz venu is good, anti-leech/tspikes/buzzwole/breloom as usual. Tank chomp is a cool glue able to take on victini, heatran and scizor among others. Keldeo is @ CM instead of @ sub cuz its not that great at subbing and kills itself too early. Chandelure isnt reliable vs chansey teams so CM keldeo was my final choice to wallbreak while retaining speed control. @ sd +scarf lando is a ridiculously pokemon, so it happens to be here too as speed control and ground immunity.

6) Chansey+buzzwole again, sorry lol, but this core is insane and you can put 4 random mons with them and still win. I added some important roles such as : electric immunity, tspikes absorber (nidoqueen); heatran check, victini check, water resist (vincune) (shiny and relaxed nature are mandatory, I added speed to outspeed -1 spe band victini; scarf sd lando, no need to explain it.

7) This team is less reliable and struggles vs stuff like kartana, but weavile+volcarona wont let you down, together they break through toxapex, chansey, everything actually. But I didnt manage to build real offense teams cuz there are too many @ subs @ haze @ twave @ trickroom in this meta, so I stick to bulky builds with our Lord and Savior Chansey. @ magnet rise doublade is an amazing buzzwole+garchomp+lando check.

8) A team built around band @ sunnyday victini, dumb mon. Primarina has good type synergy with it, checks opposing sun abusers (heatran, tini) and is a "@ sub revengekiller" thx to its aria. Koko good defogger in offense and speed control. Ferro with @ twave, I believe twave is one of the best trademarks thats completely dumb vs offense teams without a cleric. Also ferro is the xurk/manaphy check. Lando again cuz its awesome, and kommo as a secondary fire resist, secondary water resists AND secondary Sub killer thanks to its sound moves clanging scales/clangorous soulblaze. Thats the best I could so as "offense" , i think Trademarked teams need defensive backup due to all these anti-offense techs that go rampant in the tier.

2) Now, my Viability Rankings nominations (in alphabetical order inside ranks):

S rank

Chansey is ultra splashable (stall, semistall, balance, bulkyoffense) thanks to the incredible role compression of @ wish + aromatherapy + stealth rock. Paired with sub buzzwole for example, they can decimate entire teams on their own. It makes teams suddenly less weak to the likes of chatot, tapukoko, xurkitree, -insert special attacker-.
Probably the best @ sub user. Its high HP allows it to make subs that tank one seismic toss from chansey, while its large physical bulk makes it a very splashable landorus, garchomp, breloom and weavile check.
Landorus: there is no reason not to use it, especially the @ swordsdance + scarf set which can come in and out forever since it is immune to spikes and maintain momentum with a uturn/vswitch resistance/immunity, and +2 uturns able to dent would-be switchins severely. @ rockpolish + flyniumZ+uturn is also an extremely effective revengekiller; the same can be said about @ rockpolish + choiceband.
Chansey @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Taunt

Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Swords Dance / Knock Off / Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Polish
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

A+ rank

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Dual Chop

Magearna @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Manaphy @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Substitute
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Sunny Day
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

A rank

A- rank

I don't wanna write too much, I explained my S noms which are the most important. Feel free to comment on my proposals, and to submit your own noms :]
Thanks for the noms and the teams (i have admittedly not been adding samples as I should have to the page). Concerning the rankings I wanted to wait till we are good ways more in the meta before i posted them. Thankfully with some assistance from funbot , was able to start a doc for the rankings. So noms for certain places are greatly appreciated especially since I cant ladder as frequently as I would like to.

A bit of a meme set but this metagame opens up the door to a lot of different playstyles, one of which is trick room. We know this.
However, a pokemon that really abuses trick room for everything it can is Shuckle.
Shuckle @ Choice Band
Ability: Power Trick
Relaxed Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball

Obviously shuckle is shuckle, it trades its def with its atk under power trick but doesn't lose a turn doing so now, not to mention nothing switches in safely on a mon with 912 attack (or thereabout)
Power Trick Shuckle really needs fast slow pivoting support because it's incredibly frail on the physical side. This means either a high-speed mon with a pivoting move or a mon with a self-KOing move.

I'm voting ABSTAIN, because even though I think Hoopa-U is potentially broken even in a Sub-less meta, the fact that it abuses Sub so well, in multiple ways, makes it hard to clearly understand if Hoopa or Sub is the problem, as far as Hoopa usage pre-suspect is concerned. Regardless, I do share the sentiment that Sub, while being nice for stopping some unavoidable Trademarks, like Will-O-Wisp and TWave/Glare and creating more consistent teams, as revenge killing gets easier, ends up making the meta revolve around it and teams too. Often, one of the most import questions match up-wise is "what is his sub user"? Still, I understand the complexity of pros vs. cons when it comes to Sub.

Anyway, happy to see a lot of people exploring the meta, creating movesets and teams. It's nice to see people enjoying it!

Here's some fun tech to play around with for the TR users out there:
Trevenant @ Ghostium Z
Brave Nature
- Phantom Force
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch / Power-Up Punch
Trevenant, by virtue of getting tm Trick Room and being able to hit itself super effectively with Phantom Force is a decent bait for opposing Mew on offense. Mew, upon switching in will reverse TR, giving itself a bad matchup against slower Phantom Force. Good players will switch out, giving you a free hit with Trev's not unworkable offenses and coverage. Depending on your team, the Mew might even come in again under TR, allowing you to take it out with NEN. Aside from that, 110 attack with NEN, EQ and Wood Hammer are by no means a bad combination, and can even do some mini-sweeps. It's not necessarily good, but at least fun to play around with.

GL Volkner

meet me in the afterglow
is a Tiering Contributor

s/os to Clefable for the team

Not gonna lie, I find Substitute majorly overpowered. Being able to stay in on things you shouldn't be able to stay in on is just... Wrong. Having to break a sub in order to beat something is wrong. The fact that you're able to do all of this while having 4 additional moves and an item is really really restricting. Every single game I played and won, Substitute Heatran was my wincon and that's because Substitute is just so good that you literally have no reason to not put it on your team.

I know that from what I wrote, it'll look like I'm gonna vote dnb on Hoopa-U because Substitute is broken. And honestly, if this was months ago or if this wasn't an OMotM, I would do that. But Trademarked won't be legal for OMotM by the time Gen 8 comes out, so unless there's enough time to let the meta settle and then conduct another suspect (which I doubt), it wouldn't be really practical of me to vote dnb.

Hoopa-U isn't broken, but it's being suspected over Substitute which I believe is flawed. Substitute has many exceptional users. But since we can't really do anything about it, I'm gonna vote ban on Hoopa-U.

voting ban on Hoopa-U

pretty much everything there is to say has been said, but basically, my thoughts are that while substitute seems to me to be the main problem hoopa-u is still pretty ridiculous and is too strong for the meta so needs to go. The fact that it loses literally nothing without it's ability, has sets outside of sub and 2hkos everything just pushes it over the edge

hope the names ok xd

s/o Clefable for the team

Last edited:
Cheers to Mengy for the gritty tspikes looper team, made reqs a lot easier.

Gonna be voting BAN for Hoopa-U. Busted with sub, busted without it. At least 3 sets that can run through every fat team you can think of.

As many have pointed out though, Substitute should've been the original suspect target. Right now the OM is just ''Sub as a Trademark, or how to beat all the mons that can utilize it''. This much is known though, hopefully WPA will make decisions on that after this sus.

Ktütverde

no one beats the bug fan
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7trademarked-908404229
Turn 3. Shouldn’t Yawn be banned as a trademark since it induces sleep, even if it takes a turn to take effect?

not only does yawn not really induce sleep (u can just switch-out and they will have to re-send their pokémon in to activate @ yawn again), but nothing really abuses it (looking for something with a set-up move and able to run it alongside protect or sub so as to shield itself from attacks during the yawn activation turn). Just unreliable and not worth it, even if you somehow find a decent yawn user like @ yawn kingdra with sub and DD, it will get paralyzed or burned or forced to break the sub of a @ twave/wow/sub user.

Having to wait for 1 turn matters a LOT since what makes trademarks awesome is their activation upon switching-in: compare @ sleep powder ability to instantly put sth to sleep with @ yawn forcing something out and rarely putting anything to sleep. Shouldn't be banned imo unless several yawn users are discovered and happen to be too strong or uncompetitive.

not only does yawn not really induce sleep (u can just switch-out and they will have to re-send their pokémon in to activate @ yawn again), but nothing really abuses it (looking for something with a set-up move and able to run it alongside protect or sub so as to shield itself from attacks during the yawn activation turn). Just unreliable and not worth it, even if you somehow find a decent yawn user like @ yawn kingdra with sub and DD, it will get paralyzed or burned or forced to break the sub of a @ twave/wow/sub user.

Having to wait for 1 turn matters a LOT since what makes trademarks awesome is their activation upon switching-in: compare @ sleep powder ability to instantly put sth to sleep with @ yawn forcing something out and rarely putting anything to sleep. Shouldn't be banned imo unless several yawn users are discovered and happen to be too strong or uncompetitive.
But whether you’re put to sleep or forced out, it guarantees the yawn using player a free turn because you either are forced to switch instead of attack or you fall asleep, at which point you have to switch or hope to wake up in one turn. Any way you spin it, auto yawn guarantees you free turns just like moves like Spore would as a trademark and is thus inherently uncompetitive, regardless of the user.

Here are a few sets that I've been toying with:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Bone Rush

I think people (including myself) have become a bit lost in the sauce with all the crazy ability shenanigans and have forgotten about good old Hyper Offense. Put Lucario on a team with a Trapper, a Spiker, and a fighting check and you have yourself a very scary team. +2 Extreme Speed kills Landorus at 75% and gets a lot of other impressive benchmarks. Bone Rush lets Lucario break through Sub Tran, Marowak, and maybe Pex or Magearna on a good day.

Xurkitree @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Round

Not my idea to use Specs Xurk and I've seen it around, but man this thing is scary. Why use Specs when it's redundant with Tail Glow? It's because with this much power behind its attacks – 3.75x power – it can get critical KOs without resorting to its coverage attacks.

+3 252 SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 221-261 (62.7 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+3 252 SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 433-510 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 162-192 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after spikes

+3 252 SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Round vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 365-430 (114.4 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 252 SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Round vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 504-594 (120.5 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 252 SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Round vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- 22.3% guaranteed 2HKO after Sub

Cresselia (F) @ Eject Button/Red Card
Ability: Recycle
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

I love Eject Button and use it all the time – here's a reusable Eject Button! This isn't my idea, I saw it on a hazard stacking team with Red Card over Eject Button. I chose Cress for this just because it's bulky as hell but there might be a better pivot too (one not weak to U-turn, maybe?)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)