Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

Tuthur

formerly 0-7 in FCL
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm translating Gyarados analysis and noticed some Problems:
"Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets, also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence" Salamence is unranked and shouldn't be mentionned.
"Ice Fang is another option that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur" Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat and doesn't care about Ice Fang, I think it should be replaced by Tapu Bulu which resists Crunch.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm translating Gyarados analysis and noticed some Problems:
"Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets, also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence" Salamence is unranked and shouldn't be mentionned.
"Ice Fang is another option that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur" Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat and doesn't care about Ice Fang, I think it should be replaced by Tapu Bulu which resists Crunch.
Mega Gyarados has Mold Breaker, which nullifies Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat. I've removed Salamence and added Bulu in as mentions though, thank you.

Mega Gyarados has Mold Breaker, which nullifies Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat. I've removed Salamence and added Bulu in as mentions though, thank you.
Even though Venu essentially doesn't have Thick Fat against Mega Gyarados, the power difference between Crunch and Ice Fang is so minor that it still might not be a good example, along with Amoonguss -
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 117-138 (32.2 - 38%) -- 94.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 126-150 (34.7 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 177-208 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 192-226 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

Edit: After racking my brain for what Ice Fang is actually useful for, I'd have the examples as Zygarde + Tapu Bulu.

Last edited:
Are there any physical threats Tyranitar needs 80 HP for? Because it can live the +1 volcarona bug buzz its currently EV'd for with a spread of 8 HP 44 SpDef, which only requires 52 EVs and leaves room for more speed.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 8 HP / 44 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 288-342 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If I'm missing something obvious on the physical side then its probably fine as is.

Are there any physical threats Tyranitar needs 80 HP for? Because it can live the +1 volcarona bug buzz its currently EV'd for with a spread of 8 HP 44 SpDef, which only requires 52 EVs and leaves room for more speed.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 8 HP / 44 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 288-342 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If I'm missing something obvious on the physical side then its probably fine as is.
I think that spread is more efficient, but I think that tyranitar does not need to live a +1 buzz anymore because bugz is extremely common and way better than psychz (which suffers from a variety of issues like a lot of pex being payapa, heatran being so prominent, and the inability to ohko pokemon such as tapu lele at +1 all make bugz far better as a set in my eyes. bugz can bop at +1 and even if your opponent is psychz volc, you rarely have an unchipped tyranitar without rocks up unless you try to do that.

e: I also think 32 calm clef deserves a mention in details for psychics like mlati and zam.

"and 252 Special Attack EVs ensure that Gigavolt Havoc will KO offensive Heatran and Thunderbolt will always 2HKO defensive Clefable." from Koko's analysis.
252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable in Electric Terrain: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Defog Gliscor:

152 Special Defense EVs enable Gliscor to avoid the 2HKO from Landorus-T's Hidden Power Ice

0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 152 SpD Gliscor: 172-204 (48.8 - 57.9%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

I guess this was calced with 0 SpAtk IVs as:

0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 152 SpD Gliscor: 152-180 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I have a question, should Payapa Berry Toxapex receive a mention? I think this set is at least worthy to mention it in Other Options

For Kyurem-B, make Hasty (and Lonely ig) the preferred nature(s) (or at least a slash) to avoid this:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-Black: 270-318 (69 - 81.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 241-285 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
With Hasty, it only has a 20% chance to lose instead of that 50% chance of getting OHKOed + the added flinch chance (crits dont count)

I was reading the Mawile OU Analysis and noticed it mentioned "threats" and partners like Expert Belt HP Ground Jirachi and Brave Bird Koko. The last one hasn't been popular for over a year and the first one has honestly never even been a thing imo. I don't know if it's that big of a concern since the sets still seem OK, but the whole analysis just seems kinda out of date. It's also written quite archaically, which just makes it needlessly harder to read.

Don't know if this was intentional or not, but Greninjas analysis doesn't contain a "other options" paragraph anymore. I actually haven't seen a single analysis missing out on that section so I don't see a reason to cut it.

Felixx

I'm back.
I feel like the Suicune analysis should mention how Pressure takes away 2 pp from Haze since it talks about Toxapex being a good answer to it, obviously the analysis was made before that feature was implemented on Showdown

A couple of very minor things, but whatever:

- On Zygarde's Double Dance set, use Figy Berry over Iapapa. This is for the simple reason that most Trick users are -Atk, making it a slightly better choice.

- On Greninja's Choice Scarf set, Hasty should be slashed with Naïve. Many teams use it as an Ash-Greninja check, and that makes it easier to take Water Shuriken, it also allows it to be used as an emergency switchin to pre-transformation Ash-Greninja.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A couple of very minor things, but whatever:

- On Zygarde's Double Dance set, use Figy Berry over Iapapa. This is for the simple reason that most Trick users are -Atk, making it a slightly better choice.

- On Greninja's Choice Scarf set, Hasty should be slashed with Naïve. Many teams use it as an Ash-Greninja check, and that makes it easier to take Water Shuriken, it also allows it to be used as an emergency switchin to pre-transformation Ash-Greninja.
Done, thanks

with the latest scizor analysis, in oo it mentions "Mega Scizor can opt to run a faster spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 16 Def / 220 Spe in tandem with Superpower and Swords Dance. The given Speed investment lets it outspeed Timid maximum Speed Magnezone." Im just wondering what nature this runs, adamant or impish and then what either the 24atk or 16def is for

I was looking through some analyses, and I noticed that Garchomp's analysis looks very outdated. Unranked Pokémon like Salamence and Smeargle are mentioned, Garchomp's Choice Scarf set is mentioned in the checks and counters section, Rocky Helmet (considered the second best set by the sets VR) is not mentioned (even in OO), Swords Dance (considered the best set) is not at the top, and the whole thing just seems like it was written at a time when Garchomp was considered much more viable than it is now. In terms of analyses that need rewrites, that one stands out.

Nitpick, but the SD Bulu Team Options, says "Grassy Terrain weakens Ground-type moves for Toxapex", which is a bit misleading seeing as Zygarde is the best Ground-type attacker right now, especially for newer players.

Reactions: Leo
OK; I did not realize that it was a part of user name. Then, the problem becomes that the link leads to a "The requested user could not be found." dead link.
The Dex Site had an incorrect link. I reviewed the user ID and submitted CMS with the right ID (was 3606392 but it should be 233142).

Sorry for double posting, but I think it will be good to clarify why Tapu Fini's superior Water-type STAB move is Scald instead of Surf. The reader may wonder how would Scald be beneficial when it may be counterproductive with Misty Terrain but I would specify that it doesn't let Tapu Bulu come in for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)