Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty close vote this week but DraconicLepus edged out the week by 2 votes, congratulations on winning!

Since I'm reaaaaally good at time management I'll keep it quick. Next on our slate is Terrakion. While we have visited Terrakion before, it was as an underexplored threat in a metagame long since past. As of now, its risen up and solidified itself as one of USUM UU's premier wallbreakers, sporting a monstrous 129 base Attack and good Speed to back up its high-powered Stone Edge and Close Combat. While its Rock-/Fighting-type leaves a bit to be desired on the defensive side, it almost always finds a way to wreak havoc once it finds its way onto the field. Team submissions due by Saturday as per usual!

No one has posted yet so here we go !!

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Toxic

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Latias @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Terrakion version 2. Starting off we have our hazard setter and hazard control. Mega Aggron and Rotom Heat. They fit pretty well together, as its a hazard setting/control duo that is able to get their jobs done very well. Standard sets for both of them. Next we have the star of this week Terrakion, the team used to be a bit different, but due to adding Latias and giving it the Z-Move, Terrakion had to change. I still wanted a breaker, and I couldn't decide what would be a good set to use. I ended up settling with SD Protect Terrak, which I haven't used before. I've seen it used, it can scout moves that for example: A choice locked krook or scizor ends up going for, and from there you can decide the play you make. It's a pretty cool set I wanted to try out. Next up is Primarina, the water and fairy type of the team. Bulky to be able to better check the likes of dark types and dragon types [physical at least]. Next is Latias, and a secondary breaker/set up mon of the team. I went for bolt beam because I felt it went best, though its still in testing. Let's me check a lot of stuff that was before a problem for this team. Last addition is, in esche's words, "an overly fashion-conscious alligator." Standard scarf set, ground type, pursuit, speed control, we got him. Yay team :D

Beedrill.pngRotom-heat.pngGligar.png1539957120387.pngTerrakion.pngHydreigon.png
Here I wanted to build with the core of Mega Beedrill + Rotom-H again. And they happen to support Terrakion pretty well here. I went with knock off Beedrill to help lure the obnoxious Gligar for Terrakion. Normally I'd use pursuit Bee (My favorite Bee set) But I felt pretty alright against Latias. Next up, Rotom-H. Scizor/Flying/Mamo check expert over here. With Gligar rising to prominence, I decided to bring back the now currently rare HP ice on my Rotom, helping it hit Gligar and dragons pretty effectively. My own Gligar serves as the reactive check to Zeraora, Manectric and enemy musketeers, and rounds off Rotom-H and Beedrill to create a voltturn core that helps get my Terrakion into the fight. Next up, is Klefki. I wanted an answer to Latias and Hydreigon, and some form of speed control outside of the Bee. So I went with a classic Klefki. Spikes is also a major help with how many switches the voltturning can force. And then, there's the big bull itself, Terrakion. It's a classic band Terrak to hit hard and go. It gets a lot of switches off the voltturn trio of the team and really appreciates a chipped or itemless Gligar via Bee and Rotom's lures. Lastly, I desperately needed some type of water resist. And I wanted a backup plan for Band Terrak against bulkier teams, so i went with taunt Hydreigon, which actually serves to be a nice wallbreaker foil to Terrakion, as it can deal with most of what Terrakion can't handle like Palossand and Slowbro. The team's most obvious weakness on paper is Primarina, but with ways to offensively pressure it, and it having to win a Hydro vs Moonblast guessing game, it's not unwinnable. The team may also seem a little slow at first glance with no scarfer, but Terrakion and Bee have pretty impressive speed, backed by Klefki's ability to thunder wave many faster threats. Ice Fang Shark is a nuisance, but a well played Hydra that's kept at good HP can still beat it, Klefki can win from a good HP as well, or if things get really sticky, Rotom-H can stomach a crunch from decent health. One thing I do also like about this team as a little bonus, as I've been testing it in suspect meta, is that it's prepared either way for the fate of Bisharp. With two solid sucker resists that can hit it hard, a Gligar, and a defogger that threatens it, it's ready if the Bisharp meta comes to fruition, but at the same time will function the same way if Bisharp gets banned. I hope you guys like the team!

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
terrakion.gif
kommoo.gif
slowbro-mega.gif
florges-blue.gif
steelix-mega.gif
hydreigon (1).gif

Importable

Is there even a point in terrakion week without a CB terrak + Future Sight Bro team? I first started building around CB Terrak and DD Clanger, but didn't like the direction I headed so i stuck with kommo-o but added Bro from the start. CB Terrak and FS Bro mess up stall and can give Kommo-o some set up opportunities. Next is a basic fairy steel dragon core. Florges was a great special sponge, Steelix could set up rocks, take hits, and set up if desirable (usually against HO). Hydreigon provided speed control, defog, and unlike latias it could u-turn bro in to set up FS or terrak to smash. Being able to put extra pressure with mega future sight is always nice since it can be obvious when steelix won’t need need to do more than set up rocks, but mind plate on bro works decently too since z clanger and terrak don’t mind knock offs. Having the mega bulk has saved me though.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-822670472 nice example of the pressure of future sight

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
View attachment 141554View attachment 141555View attachment 141556View attachment 141557View attachment 141558View attachment 141559

Importable

Is there even a point in terrakion week without a CB terrak + Future Sight Bro team? I first started building around CB Terrak and DD Clanger, but didn't like the direction I headed so i stuck with kommo-o but added Bro from the start. CB Terrak and FS Bro mess up stall and can give Kommo-o some set up opportunities. Next is a basic fairy steel dragon core. Florges was a great special sponge, Steelix could set up rocks, take hits, and set up if desirable (usually against HO). Hydreigon provided speed control, defog, and unlike latias it could u-turn bro in to set up FS or terrak to smash. Being able to put extra pressure with mega future sight is always nice since it can be obvious when steelix won’t need need to do more than set up rocks, but mind plate on bro works decently too since z clanger and terrak don’t mind knock offs. Having the mega bulk has saved me though.
This team has two megas.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

https://pokepast.es/8a1ad49d5c045840

basically this is a band terrak team and terrak has toxic for slowbro and quagsire and hippo and swampert and latias etc. next I wanted something to switch into those scald pokemon that like to switch in on terrak so i chose celebi with psychium z which can ohko a lot of things including scizor and togekiss and moltreshttps://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/underused.417/ from +2. looking at my team from there i noticed sketchy scizor and coba and mamo and moltres matchup so i selected rotom heat which at first i had as offensive but later changed to defensive for coba. rotom heat also acts a defogger and is rly nice in this meta. i needed a steel and a ground and a rocker and since i only had three slots left i decided to go with some role compression and chose mega steelix. at first i had it as full defensive but later changed it to more offensive since my team was already pretty bulky. next i needed a fairy and a pivot, something to sponge hits, so i chose primarina. and finally i needed a choice scarfer and since i already had a ground and a psychic i didnt want to choose latias or krookodile so i picked hydreigon which can add to the volt turn core with rotom-heat and thats pretty much it. i dont rly like explanations so this is what i have, enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)