Unpopular opinions

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you want a game with no rng factor play chess
this has always been an argument that really annoyed me. there are a lot of cool things that pokemon has that chess doesn't, like team building creativity, information management, and more metas to play. saying "just play chess lol" is dumb because a lot of people just like mons better even though they think luck holds the game back.

honestly there are definitely better ways to solve luck-based things than just having them rely on a coinflip. even if they did something really stupid like having speed ties rely on who won a mario party-like minigame, it would still be more competitive (and, likely, more fun for casual players as well).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The balance of luck-based elements in Pokemon is perfect as-is and needs nothing at all changing about it

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(...) the biggest issue with USUM was that they released it a year after the initial SM. Their justification was that fans didn't like SM so they wanted to come up with a "new" Alolan adventure to hopefully leave a better impression of it.
What? Where did they get that? From what I saw people liked SM just fine. Yes, there was complaints here and there but they were more about shortness and quick pace of the story, how compressed and linear the islands felt, and minimal post game content (though that's just generally accepted as being an issue all initial paired games have). But these are minor complaints. But, okay, they wanted to address these issues and make a second paired version that was more definitive. So how did they address these complaints:

Shortness & Quick Pace Of Story: Story is STILL short and quick paced as the initial games. But they then crammed new characters in that slightly altered the story, except they didn't make it longer but just changed how some things went... though they forgot to change certain characters behaviors in scenes they kept (like Lusamine) so a lot of it felt like you were playing the initial games until it suddenly shifted into another story. And they didn't go into deeper detail about other characters we wanted to learn more about or had us go back to islands after our first trip around them, no instead we got these little side events with generic NPCs that really did nothing to add to the story or the world lore.

Compressed & Linear Islands: Pretty much the same except there's now a handful of new small locations you didn't go to before. There was Ultra Space and all the possibilities with it... but they squandered that too (don't get me started on Ultra Megalopolis, or more like Ultra Hall-Tower-Platform). With this being a chain of islands they could have many hidden off locations, maybe even some smaller islands to explore, not to mention letting use Dive to explore the ocean that we're in the middle of. Heck, locations they hinted at like the golf course and the large castle surrounding the Lake of Sunne/Moone could have been made explorable. But no, just follow the same dotted line as you did initially and be amazed at the 12 rooms they made for Ultra Space.

Minimal Post Game Content: Okay, they had the Rainbow Rocket Episode which was neat... though they did so be getting rid of the Ultra Beast Hunt thus making Looker and Anabel's role in the game completely pointless. The Battle Tree had a lot of potential for new past game trainers to appear in... but they didn't add any more. And can't really think much else, well aside from the Ultra Warp Ride but you know how I feel about that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Z-moves are completely abandoned in gen 8 as well, and you just "happen to get a Z-bracelet and can buy Z-crystals at gen 8 facility with BPs" in the game.

Which really makes you wonder why bother putting a strong gamechanging mechanic when you're going to both not have it replicate anymore as well as be forced to cut it off the first year of VGC.

I also never really understood the whole VGC "the Pokemon must be bred/caught in this gen" clause. Aside from a extremely limited amount of things (like HA genies or specific TMs that disappeared) it just makes the whole chore of having to AGAIN breed everything every 2 years, even Pokes that you already spent ages breeding (if not right up genned since you gave up)
Actually I can see the basic elemental Z-Moves staying around for main game, they're a nice reward to give out or for doing extra exploring and providing a player "nuke" option if they need it. Though if they bring back Gym Leaders I hope they don't replace the Badges with the Z Crystals, I like all the different badge designs, the Z Crystals can be an additional bonus.

GF is putting in all these SUPER mechanics in now for two reasons: 1. Because they want to address the issue of Pokemon being called "same-y" each generation and 2. Because they can. And indeed, Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves have changed the meta... the problem is they introduced them one after the other. GF felt disappointed by Mega Evolutions because not all Pokemon can use them and they can only create so many each generation (and for some Pokemon just +100 BST wasn't enough). However instead of trying to work out the kinks they decided to completely drop it for Z-Moves which I think GF consider a success. But now we have a problem, would GF now feel compelled to introduce ANOTHER super mechanic now that they introduced two in a row or will they now hold off and maybe work on the ones they have. I would rather they work with the ones they have now, plenty of Pokemon need Mega Evolutions and there's some creative directions they can do with Z-Crystals (that isn't just giving a Pokemon its own unique one)... but GF seems to be afraid that not introducing a major new mechanic would make the games be "same-y" again and now feel obligated to introduce a new super mechanic each generation to be an advertising gimmick and because they're fun to make. However this creates a problem in the future (if not right now) that they're creating a lot of bloat players have to learn about, especially for the meta.

The whole "region lock" thing was more GF wanting to take the super easy route instead of an easy route that require some work. Instead of just saying "all Pokemon submitted the VGC can only have moves they learn through level-up, TMs, Tutors, or Egg Moves and possible Abilities they can have from the current games" they did a sweeping ban. Of course, while you can argue this made sense for Gen VI when they decided this rule, it makes absolutely no sense why Gen VII doesn't allow competitive viable Pokemon from Gen VI.

Speaking of unnecessary features, I absolutely despise Z Moves. Maybe I'd hate them a bit less if they didn't have ridiculous dance moves to trigger and atrocious English names.
I also hate the posing. I hope they cut them in future games. Have no issue with Z-Moves otherwise, I like most of the names though I'll admit I had an affinity for puns and alliterations.

Whichever the target it is, most of the times they guarantee to fire an obscene amount of damage off.
Always found if odd Z-Moves didn't use up a lot of PP. Like sure, you're already giving up your held item to use it, but with how much damage they do in one turn I'd thought they'd also use up a significant amount of that move's PP to show how much power it takes to use one. How much PP is taken away would probably go by Power of the Z-Move, like ones that does over 180 uses all the move's PP while below uses up half etc.. Now the Z-Move always just needs 1 PP to execute, its just that if you have extra PP they get burned up. I think this would add some more strategic use with Z-Moves as now there's risk to firing it off immediately (in addition to not having it for later).

Pokemon: A Game Of Chance:
I actually don't mind the 10-30-50% chance secondary effects or the inaccurate moves as it adds some excitement and curiosity to battles. How boring would battles be if everything was 100% guaranteed? Sure, by a strategic viewpoint it means battles now strictly rely on the player's skills and not random chance, but what if an opponent finds themselves in an unwinning situation no matter what? They made a team they thought was good but, oh no, this one player just so happened to have a team which completely beats his no matter what he does. The disadvantage player might as well give up. But, since we have moves with a chance of a secondary effect or inaccurate moves the opponent may use and end up missing with, it means that such players may have just a small chance of winning. They managed to grab victory from the jaws of defeat.

"But they didn't win fairly then! They won by hax!"

A valid viewpoint and honestly there's no real balance between the two that feels fair. Only thing I can think of is doing a SSB's "Omega Form" for moves where they remove as much of the % chances as possible; altering the move as needed so it becomes balanced.

Chess Analogy:
Nah, King would be banned because it has BS Ability to end the match if it gets knocked out even if both sides have other Pokemon still active.
Queen would be banned to Ubers since she's OP.
Rook and Bishop would be OU as they're just less versatile queens.
Knight would be UU as he may not be as good but has a neat gimmick which comes in handy.
Pawn would be NU, even in Little Cup.

Yes, I did put too much thought into this. :P

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually I think it's balanced correctly less because it evens out over time so much as because in its current form the better (or otherwise less predictable) player will win the vast majority of the time, as good strategies include ways of minimising the negative impact that harmful hax has on your gameplan (see: plan A/B/C, means of rectifying unfortunate circumstanes etc.) while maximising the positive impact of helpful hax.

I also think there's a legitimate argument that having the option open for building strategies around the efficient use of luck elements (see: paralysis spam etc.) while also intoducing an element of risk/reward to teambuilding decisions (e.g. Flamethrower vs Fire Blast, Scald/Surf vs Hydro Pump etc.) actually adds to how competitive+varied of a game it is after factoring in the nature of how Pokemon battling functions, similarly to how a football manager would need to consider the pros and cons of various player formations and combinations when creating a counter-strategy for an upcoming match.
But not before dozens of low-ladder scrubs had flooded the suspect test thread to argue "It's balanced because you can use it too!"
This description is shockingly accurate

I have a new potentially unpopular opinion.

In X/Y, the fan pandering to Kanto/Gen 1 wasn't that bad. Yes, it was there, and it was a problem. But to be honest, it never bothered me that much when I played these games. I have complained about it in the past, but looking back now, I regret doing that. It did not bother me as much as I have said at previous points. I blame the fandom for making me think it was a bigger problem than it actually is. Sometimes, the Pokemon fandom is too much of a hivemind, it can be easy to get absorbed into opinions that are popular to have and it may seem like you have opinions you might actually not have (so in a way, I'm really glad that this thread exists since it is a good way to differentiate yourself from the rest of the fandom). Anyway, the fan pandering in X/Y might have bothered others to a large degree, but it didn't bother me that much.

I want to take a look at some common complaints regarding this and see how I feel about them.

- Santalune Forest having the exact same layout as Viridian Forest. I never even noticed this when I played through X/Y, I only learned it later on through people posting about it on the internet. I don't really have a problem with this. If anything, my only real complaints about Santalune Forest are that it felt too small and lacked optional areas compared to Pinwheel and Eterna Forest.
- X/Y had many Mega Evolutions from Kanto. That's true, but there were many from Hoenn too. Johto and Sinnoh also got a few as well. So that's fine. I also like when Kanto Megas are successful. If they can take a boring old Kanto Pokemon and spice it up to make it interesting again, I'm all for it.
- Getting a Kanto starter early in the game. I didn't mind this. You have to obtain it, but nothing forces you to use it. I just boxed it after obtaining it and went with the Pokemon I wanted to use instead, then I later evolved it for Pokedex purposes during the post-game.
- Snorlax blocking the way and has to be awoken with the Poke Flute. This is the kind of reference I'm actually okay with, and it makes a lot of sense. My only issue here is that this is the only way to get a Snorlax in the games, and you only get one chance.
- Apart from the Kalos legends, there are only Kanto legendaries in the games. Not much of a problem for me, because there are barely any Kalos legends to start with. And the way they set it up means that no matter how you play, you'll always get 2 legends from both Kanto and Kalos. While you are forced to encounter the legendary bird once after beating the game, you have to actively hunt it down to get it, and the odds of randomly running into it are quite low. You also have to actively go and look for Mewtwo if you want it.
- Some moves like Psychic and Hyper Beam uses the original sound effect from Gen 1. I found it a bit weird but I didn't really mind it, and I stopped noticing after a while since I always turn off animations eventually.
- The first wild Pokemon you'll encounter in Route 2 is predetermined to always be a Pidgey. I didn't mind, I just caught it like I would have with any Pokemon I didn't have yet. Once you are past it, there are several other Pokemon you can get here. Not all of them are from Kanto, and Pidgey is not among the most common ones. Also, completely unrelated, but I just learned this from Bulbapedia: wild Pokemon cannot break out of Poke Balls thrown at them on Route 2 in X/Y. I didn't know that! It makes Kalos Route 2 the perfect place for catching fodder Pokemon. Wish I had known about that earlier...
- There are many Kanto Pokemon in X/Y overall. That's true. But there are many Pokemon from the other regions/generations as well. I didn't notice the large number of Kanto Pokemon in the games until I looked at the Serebii page for unavailable Pokemon in the games. It shows that in total, if we include the post-game fossils and Friend Safari, only 8 Kanto Pokemon are missing from X/Y (Mew included). There are considerably more Pokemon missing from other regions but I wasn't too bothered by it since X/Y has a very large amount of obtainable Pokemon on the whole.

To summarize, while there was quite a bit of fan pandering to Kanto/Gen 1 in X/Y, it didn't bother me that much. And it could have been much worse. Plus, there was a lot of references to the other regions and generations as well, and while Kanto/Gen 1 might have gotten the most references, I didn't really mind. I have been unfairly harsh towards X/Y for this in the past, and that is something I regret, because it wasn't that bad. And I think this is somewhat unpopular because it seems like X/Y gets a lot of hate for their fan pandering, but I don't think it is that bad.

So that's that. Now for the next part. I'm not sure if this part is unpopular but I want to continue with it anyway.

When it comes to fan pandering to Kanto/Gen 1... I think S/M are a lot worse than X/Y. There are so many Kanto Pokemon in the games, especially early on, while not nearly as many from the other regions (the Dex expansion in US/UM somewhat helped with this though, especially during the early parts of the games). S/M has a smaller Pokedex than X/Y and their Pokemon variation/distribution isn't as good, several Kanto Pokemon such as the Rattata, Zubat, Magikarp and Diglett lines are way too common. Alola forms are strictly Kanto Pokemon only, compared to Megas which at least represented most/all regions. When it comes to exclusive Z-moves, the only Pokemon to get them that aren't from Alola are all from Kanto. Then there are so many references to Kanto during the main story, as well as other minor things that annoy me such as the recreation of the Nugget Bridge and the "Kantonian" Gym in US/UM. And other things like Diglett's Tunnel (this is what we get after the great caves of Kalos?). However, I am not that bothered by Red and Blue being the bosses of the Battle Tree, that is something I am fine with. The reason is that you do statistically not get to battle them as much as the other special trainers if you battle at the Tree a lot. In total, I feel like S/M had too much fan pandering and focus on Kanto and Gen 1 while they didn't have anywhere near as much focus on the other regions, the references to Kanto more or less completely overshadowed all the other regions.

S/M were also released after we had seen a lot of fan pandering already, with things like X/Y (but again, it wasn't that bad), Pokemon Origins (which I admittedly never watched) and Pokemon Go (which I have admittedly barely played). So it might seem weird to say this since I wasn't that affected by the previous fan pandering, but that is how I feel. When I wanted Game Freak to focus on the new Pokemon, the new region and then new features in S/M, they decided to do the complete opposite and focus on the oldest possible in way too many instances. It was a lot more annoying for me in S/M than in X/Y. US/UM was a little better, mainly thanks to the Dex expansion, but otherwise not that much.

That said, it could still have been much worse. Island Scan did for once not have a ton of Kanto Pokemon, it felt more focused on other regions instead. In S/M, it had the Johto and Unova starters rather than the Kanto starters. In US/UM, it does have the Kanto starters, but it also has the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Kalos starters. Out of all the non-legendary Pokemon you can meet at Ultra Wormholes, none of them are from Kanto (or Alola), all of them are from Gen 2-6. Regarding the Fossils, they chose to include Aerodactyl and the Sinnoh/Unova Fossils in S/M, not Kabuto/Omanyte. US/UM added them, but they added the Hoenn and Kalos fossils as well. So while it was bad in Gen 7, it could still have been a lot worse.

I guess that's my unpopular opinion. I thought about this after seeing X/Y getting a lot of criticism for their fan pandering, but I disagree. It wasn't that bad. To me, it was considerably worse in S/M and US/UM, and I think they deserve more criticism for it.

Last edited:
XY made sense because it was designed in part to capitalize off Go, which at the time was Kanto-only. SM made sense because 20th Anniversary. The problem is that SM did it at the expense of other generations. XY had Megas from other regions (and not just Hoenn either, which also made sense because ORAS was on the way), while SM's Alolan Formes only came from Kanto base mons and the unique Z-moves only given to Kanto or Alolan mons.

I guess that's my unpopular opinion. I thought about this after seeing X/Y getting a lot of criticism for their fan pandering, but I disagree. It wasn't that bad. To me, it was considerably worse in S/M and US/UM, and I think they deserve more criticism for it.
To be honest, I think the issue with "gen 1 pandering" (i still see no pandas) people have is not due to a specific game, but due to the fact it's an issue that got perpetrated amongst 4 different titles in a row. If it was limited to only XY, or only SM, nobody would really have been bothered by it.

To be honest, I think the issue with "gen 1 pandering" (i still see no pandas) people have is not due to a specific game, but due to the fact it's an issue that got perpetrated amongst 4 different titles in a row. If it was limited to only XY, or only SM, nobody would really have been bothered by it.
Not only were Pancham and Pangoro introduced in X/Y, but there were Spinda horde encounters. That's the maximum possible pandering, even to this date.

Damn, I miss horde encounters.

I'm not so sure about that. I remember seeing people being annoyed by it back during the X/Y days, long before newer games like S/M, Go or Quest existed. Though, I guess it would have been considerably less annoying for many fans if it had just been a one-time thing that happened for one game pair and then never again. If that had been the case, I would at least not have been as annoyed by it as I am now.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Oh boy, unpopular opinions. I have a LOT of these, but I'll run by only a few of them here.

Unpopular Opinion #1: I think EV Training should go back to how it was in Gens 1 and 2 (not sure about IVs tho), because it would be a step in the right direction of helping out lesser used Pokémon both ingame and competitively

Unpopular Opinion #2: This is the really juicy one. I only play the DS Pokémon games nowadays because they're the most nostalgic to me. My point is, I think memories of older games are very important. Very.

Unpopular Opinion #3: I'm more annoyed about fan complaints than I am about the direction Pokémon wants to go in. The Internet in particular is in my eyes, whats really ruining Lets Go for everyone, and nit the games themselves. Again, I'll be sticking with the glory days of my DS nostalgia, but it's still worth mentioning.

Oh boy, unpopular opinions. I have a LOT of these, but I'll run by only a few of them here.

Unpopular Opinion #1: I think EV Training should go back to how it was in Gens 1 and 2 (not sure about IVs tho), because it would be a step in the right direction of helping out lesser used Pokémon both ingame and competitively.
Huh? How is a flat +63 to all stats gonna help bad pokemon catch up?

The battle mechanics of mainline pokemon games are simply not conductive to 6 vs 1 "superbosses" like Ghetsis' Kyurem-B/W or Ultra Necrozma, resulting in anti-climatic fights (for one reason or another).
Pokemon reminds me of Fire Emblem in that way. Both series use "high damage, low health" battle systems, as opposed to more conventional Japanese RPGs.

Fact: The latest Special format for Battle Spot confirmed one of the most popular/unpopular (depending on which side you are) opinion on the internets:

Ultra-beasts and Type Null are legendaryes.

This ruleset only allows Legendary (including Ultra Beasts) or Mythical Pokémon Battle type: Double Battle Pokémon Restrictions: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Type: Null, Silvally, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Xurkitree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, and Zeraora only

Well the whole Year of the Legendary Pokemon thing has literally spelled it out that Type: Null and Silvally are legendary Pokemon.
Possibly, but I've lost count of the discussions about if UBs are leges or not by now. At least we do have a pseudo-official confirmation that they are now, so no arguing anymore :D

Possibly, but I've lost count of the discussions about if UBs are leges or not by now. At least we do have a pseudo-official confirmation that they are now, so no arguing anymore :D
I believe the game's coding places the Ultra Beasts as their own subgroup within the larger category of Legendary Pokemon. So Legendary branches into Ultra Beast, Legendary, and Mythical.

I believe the game's coding places the Ultra Beasts as their own subgroup within the larger category of Legendary Pokemon. So Legendary branches into Ultra Beast, Legendary, and Mythical.
To be honest considering UBs have the main distinction from Legendaryes to have non-limited availability (well except the USUM ones), I wonder if that could actually create an actual new "type" of legendary pokemon.

That's something only gen 8 would tell I suppose, but it's not something to "exclude" imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)