Unpopular opinions

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Excuse the doublepost but this just came to me so hey why not

The Pokemon anime has never been truly "good" in a traditional sense. When the supposed peak of the series was a C-list shonen that aint a good sign. Gen 1/2 just got nostalgia on their side and as I alluded to earlier DP/XY only look decent comparatively (Everyone clings to Infernape's final Blaze cuz its literally one of the only stimulating visuals in pokeani history alongside the definitely not a father son kamehameha in alola league)

I mean, I don't think the anime needs to be that impressive. Its an adventure for kids with pokemon and their trainers. Its pretty engaging and mindeless fun, even if it isnt that high quality. Some episodes even elevate from their material, which is pretty cool.

Also, while I wouldn't be opposed to a more serious pokemon anime, pokespe would be horrible to adapt. Its not that good of a manga already, it doesn't need to get a worse anime

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.

The Pokemon anime has never been truly "good" in a traditional sense. When the supposed peak of the series was a C-list shonen that aint a good sign. Gen 1/2 just got nostalgia on their side and as I alluded to earlier DP/XY only look decent comparatively (Everyone clings to Infernape's final Blaze cuz its literally one of the only stimulating visuals in pokeani history alongside the definitely not a father son kamehameha in alola league)
My biggest problem with the anime (at least, the parts of it I watched as a young lad) is Ash as a protagonist. I have never wanted to assault a fictional character so badly, and I've read Homestuck. He's just so goddamn stupid, it's unreal. Like yes I'm obviously exaggerating, but he actually does make sizeable chunks of the show painful to watch.

The anime series was never good, yeah, which is why I appreciate how the original series, as well from Alola onwards, they just don't pretend otherwise and focus almost entirely on the comical aspect, which is what I prefer to begin with.

... and that's why I didn't like the XY series, which felt like "I want to make a good, serious anime but I don't know how"

Last edited:
My biggest problem with the anime (at least, the parts of it I watched as a young lad) is Ash as a protagonist.
Me too. On a whim, I decided to watch Pokemon Twilight Wings. I was astounded. It felt so serious, so much cooler. The Galar Pokemon were marketed perfectly. The animation was amazing. Though they were short episodes, they were fun and cool. Ash wasn't in it, so the jokes were actually funny (OOOOOOOHH). The whole show was pretty dang good. I really wish they would have made that a true show, but I guess if they did that it would lose the mystery element of exploring a new region. Someday they'll do it again though...
*Cough* *Cough* Although I'm really hoping for a Legends-Arceus show similar to Twilight Wings *Cough* *Cough*
If you haven't watched Twilight Wings, please do so. You'll like it more than you thought you would.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I enjoy watching Ash's companions more than I do Ash himself if I'm being honest.

I kind of want to see more cases where his companions from different series meet up (without Ash in the picture of course) and interact because I think several of them would have interesting dynamics with each other if they ever cross paths. The specials where Brock and Cilan met, and the one where Clemont and Cilan met, were both big treats and I enjoyed them a lot. I'd love to see more of those kinds of episodes with his other companions.

Screw Ash, I wanna see more of the companions' individual journeys after their paths diverged from Ash.

Maybe because it’s a Psuedo-Legendary that isn’t Draconic in nature, has a history of being very good in both singles and doubles, and it and its Mega was Steven Stone’s signature Pokémon? ( Wallace was better BTW )
It's probably worth noting that pseudo-legendaries are popular as a whole since they often end up as valued team members, memorable boss fights, or both.

For me personally, I also think of Metagross as the Iconic Steel-type, the same way Charizard ends up as the Iconic Fire-type. Most other nonlegendary Steel-type lines either don't get close to the focus that comes with being a pseudo-legend and champion's ace, or their Steel typing isn't as prominent in their design as their other type.

The Mind Electric

Metagross is a Pokemon I can't like, and don't understand its popularity outside of "It's a robooooot"
I think a lot of it comes from Steven having one, since he's probably the most popular character from the Hoenn games, and a lot of kids from when R/S/E were the latest Pokémon games remember getting their asses kicked by him. It's basically what Cynthia did for Garchomp.

I think a lot of it comes from Steven having one, since he's probably the most popular character from the Hoenn games, and a lot of kids from when R/S/E were the latest Pokémon games remember getting their asses kicked by him. It's basically what Cynthia did for Garchomp.
I mean yeah it's the same thing with Garchomp in almost every way. Psuedo of the region, (in Metagross's case one of 2) used by one of if not THE strongest trainer in the region, and just good in battle. On the topic of Metagross, people probably forget it more often than Salamence, and I don't really know why.

The Mind Electric

On the topic of Metagross, people probably forget it more often than Salamence, and I don't really know why.
Salamence is the fast attack-heavy Dragon type that people are used to seeing in pseudo-legendary Pokémon, which I think leads to a lot of people being attracted to it over Metagross. I wouldn't call either of them forgettable, though.

(Applying to Post-Tundra VGC)

My Unpopular Opinion(s):

1. Bulky/Support Tapu Fini > Calm Mind Fini
2. Prankster Thundurus-I > Defiant Thundurus-I

Fini: It's prob a personal bias as Fini is my fav Tapu and in my Top 3 favs for Gen7 VGC formats but... I feel like Fini RARELY generates Wins from Calm Mind in a D/Gmax meta than it would/does as a Haze, Heal Pulse, Screens, Taunt user! To get even more unpopular, I think SOAK Tapu Fini is under explored as well and could do serious work on the right team(s)!!

Thundurus: Obv Thundy has proved itself a damn good Dynamax Mon but the new Speed mechanics with it's access to Rain Dance and Scary Face is HUGE. Another great move in Prankster Eerie Impulse plus old standby's T-Wave, Taunt, and Swagger allow Thundurus pretty unique support options that can pay off big time!

Just my 2-cents... Not trying to trigger anybody lol

Thundurus: Obv Thundy has proved itself a damn good Dynamax Mon but the new Speed mechanics with it's access to Rain Dance and Scary Face is HUGE. Another great move in Prankster Eerie Impulse plus old standby's T-Wave, Taunt, and Swagger allow Thundurus pretty unique support options that can pay off big time!
Best Thundurus set -

Zeus (Thundurus) (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bulk Up
- Eerie Impulse
- Taunt
- Rest

Dont get the hype for the latest episode. Basically, Iris became champion of Unova, a character I dislike and barely got any better, so I'm not going to feel anything for that offscreen accomplishment.

Also, Ash defeats her and ascends to top 100, really? He ascended that quickly this soon? I dunno, at this moment the Pokemon anime is reaching levels of desperate and meaningless fanservice, like saying "please look how accomplished our characters are and care" without putting any effort.

Dont get the hype for the latest episode. Basically, Iris became champion of Unova, a character I dislike and barely got any better, so I'm not going to feel anything for that offscreen accomplishment.

Also, Ash defeats her and ascends to top 100, really? He ascended that quickly this soon? I dunno, at this moment the Pokemon anime is reaching levels of desperate and meaningless fanservice, like saying "please look how accomplished our characters are and care" without putting any effort.
I agree. While I find Iris more likable and cute in this episode, it felt kinda unnatural since it felt to me that she was behind Ash in terms of skill but suddenly she is a champion without any accomplishment in all of Best Wishes aka. Black and White seasons.
In addition, Ash being Alola's champion is ignored in the episode too making it feel uncomfortable for me to watch.

You mentioned the ranking and the show teasing her being the champion, but I felt the battle kinda ended no different than any other battle. I know it's just 2vs2, but I kinda expected more from the battle between two champions. Perhaps spend 2 episodes on this fight.
It makes Iris look less important than Bea, just a gym leader.
And while I get that a lower ranked trainer from one region can be better than another regions best trainer, Unova has Roxie who solos her competitors with a Koffing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)