Unpopular opinions

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This is one of those takes that's freezing cold amidst normies but in the bizarro world of the hardcore online Pokefandom seems to be relatively unpopular

Gen 1's roster has aged absurdly well, and I feel like people have lost sight of that. It originally started with people bringing up the generation's weaker designs as a rebuttal to the boomers who sip monster energy while moping about Pokemon designs not being what they were in the Good Ol Days:tm:, but it feels like this gag has been run so deep into the ground for the past 3 years or so that Pokefans now genuinely think every Gen 1 design is on the level of shit like Seaking and Dewgong. But when you think about it for more than 3 seconds, this assertion immediately falls apart.

Dragonite, Mewtwo, Mew, Gengar, Alakazam, Lapras, Gyarados, Snorlax, all 3 starters, the original Eeveelutions, Ninetales, the Nidos, and so, SO much more. All of these Pokemon are not just great design-wise but an impressive chunk have remained competitively relevant in some form, whether in Smogon or Game Freak formats. This is obvious to 99% of people who have interfaced with Pokemon in any aspect, but again, in online spaces I feel like this triumph has been overshadowed by an initially noble bid to combat nostalgia-blindness devolving into edgy contrarianism ("but muh sludge puddle, muh rock, muh magnets") Hell, even the mons people give Gen 1 flack for have their appeal (I will defend Electrode and Mr. Mime to my dying breath). The OG 151 is still one of the greatest fictional bestiaries ever made and imo it has obliterated Gen 2 in regards to standing the test of time, and I'd argue even Gen 3 and 4.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
This is one of those takes that's freezing cold amidst normies but in the bizarro world of the hardcore online Pokefandom seems to be relatively unpopular

Gen 1's roster has aged absurdly well, and I feel like people have lost sight of that. It originally started with people bringing up the generation's weaker designs as a rebuttal to the boomers who sip monster energy while moping about Pokemon designs not being what they were in the Good Ol Days:tm:, but it feels like this gag has been run so deep into the ground for the past 3 years or so that Pokefans now genuinely think every Gen 1 design is on the level of shit like Seaking and Dewgong. But when you think about it for more than 3 seconds, this assertion immediately falls apart.

Dragonite, Mewtwo, Mew, Gengar, Alakazam, Lapras, Gyarados, Snorlax, all 3 starters, the original Eeveelutions, Ninetales, the Nidos, and so, SO much more. All of these Pokemon are not just great design-wise but an impressive chunk have remained competitively relevant in some form, whether in Smogon or Game Freak formats. This is obvious to 99% of people who have interfaced with Pokemon in any aspect, but again, in online spaces I feel like this triumph has been overshadowed by an initially noble bid to combat nostalgia-blindness devolving into edgy contrarianism ("but muh sludge puddle, muh rock, muh magnets") Hell, even the mons people give Gen 1 flack for have their appeal (I will defend Electrode and Mr. Mime to my dying breath). The OG 151 is still one of the greatest fictional bestiaries ever made and imo it has obliterated Gen 2 in regards to standing the test of time, and I'd argue even Gen 3 and 4.
Hell, I’d even go so far as to say its gen 5 fans slowly going down the path of the genwunner.

The trend initially started since bw wasnt all that praised and was actually pretty disliked for a while (then again i’ve discovered the recurring pattern where pokemon fans are usually pretty cold towards the new gen but after a few years start to warm up to them) but DEAR GOD they are everywhere and they are RABID. doesnt really help they go out of their way to bash in gen 1 in any conceivable fashion for payback.

In fact im gonna mention one very specific mon you talked about in your post:

Mr Mime. Just a lovable mime who wants nothing more than to entertain. Yet it’s gotten a truckload of hate dumped onto it because it looks weird and reminds people of their crippling clownophobia because clown bad and scawy, yet Hypno of all things walks off scot free even though its literally just a yellow man with some neckhair and a pendulum lookin to snatch your kids by hypnotizing em. There’s a reason it was removed from the dex, and not because its forgettable.

And besides, Mimey here has a pivotal role in the anime: a butler for the Ketchums! Wouldn’t want the house to be a pigsty whenever Ash comes home after another devastating defeat in the league to absolute asspulling bullshit. As well as not having Delia (ash’s mom) throw out her back to make sure the house is actually in shape. Great job housekeeping Mr Mime.

Anyway, mime’s cool, stop shitting on em you plebs, who cares if it’s ugly, for all we know mr mime probably thinks you’re a fucking absolute hideous freak of nature but it doesnt say it because mr mime is tolerable.

really just did an entire rant on why mr mime doesnt deserve the hatred, feelin good

This could just be my own preferences talking, but I feel like a big reason it's aged well is because so many of its creatures are obscure/weird in regards to mainstream media, or are various eastern mythological references.

I like pointing out the absurdity of Gen 1's Grass-type lineup for this. Plant life is abundant on Earth, and virtually all people are familiar with stuff like trees, grass, shrubs, flowers... stuff like that. What did Game Freak decide should represent the flagship monsters for their "plant" type?

1. A line of reptilian frogs with a blooming flower growing out of their backs
  2. Cordyceps-analog mushrooms parasitizing cicadas (also setting the precedent for fungus-based Pokémon to be made Grass type in the future
  3. Mandrake that grows into a rafflesia, an obscure, non-photosynthesizing flower from the rainforest that only briefly blooms and smells like (and has petals with the the texture of) rotting meat
  4. Pitcher plants (a carnivorous plant)
  5. Seeds that by all appearances are eggs that grow into a stout palm tree (they're also psychic for some reason? Pretty sure they are some kind of yokai)
  6. A walking ball of (blue) vines with eyes
All of them are recognizable as plants (and fungi) by anyone but they're also not... the recognizable plants that most of civilization sees on a daily basis. Gen 2 didn't add a lot of Grass types, but the additions are a lot safer IMO. Meganium is another reptilian (dinosaur in this case) with a flower on its body, but it's much more conventionally beautiful than Venusaur's almost tree-like growth. The Oddish-branching Bellossom trades the putrid rafflesia for a hula-dancer-petal-skirt and nice flowers on its head. The Hoppip line combines catlike beasts with various weeds (especially dandelions), and Sunflora is the easily-recognizable sunflower.

There are definitely plenty of "conventional" animals or objects among Gen 1's roster, but it also has a lot of strange, clearly monstrous creatures that turn heads.

Dragonite, Mewtwo, Mew, Gengar, Alakazam, Lapras, Gyarados, Snorlax, all 3 starters, the original Eeveelutions, Ninetales, the Nidos, and so, SO much
Half of these designs are the bad ones though.

I think there are some good gen 1 designs (mr.mime, magneton, scyther, magmar, parasect) but too many are just a vague blob of cool kaiju number 3059205 (nidoking, rhydon, kangashkan) or animal(tm). Or just... Really boring (gengar, dragonite, charizard,

Regarding the Gen 1 roster, I have mixed views on it on the whole. I think that roughly, it can be split in three: one third of the designs are genius and amazing, a second third is okay, nothing more or less, and the last third is just plain boring and forgettable to the point that I wouldn't mind if it got perma-dexited for all eternity forward. Don't know if that's unpopular, but that's my opinion on it.
Hell, I’d even go so far as to say its gen 5 fans slowly going down the path of the genwunner.

The trend initially started since bw wasnt all that praised and was actually pretty disliked for a while (then again i’ve discovered the recurring pattern where pokemon fans are usually pretty cold towards the new gen but after a few years start to warm up to them) but DEAR GOD they are everywhere and they are RABID. doesnt really help they go out of their way to bash in gen 1 in any conceivable fashion for payback.
As a Gen 5 fan, I want to give my view on this. As you said, the Pokémon designs from Gen 5 got heavily criticized back when Gen 5 was the newest, while it felt like the Gen 1 Pokémon got the usual "immune to criticism because it was the first and the original"-treatment from the fandom. This did of course make me angry, because I liked Gen 5 and the new Pokémon. Seeing your favorite game/generation get nothing but heavy criticism no matter where you go is something I think all Pokémon fans have experienced at some point (not matter which generation is your favorite), and I don't think any of us are happy about it. As for me, I felt that I had to take out my anger on something in return. Back then, this happened to be not only Gen 1, but also Gen 2 (both G/S/C and HG/SS). I remember that I generally criticized Gen 1 for its Pokémon designs while I critcized G/S/C and HG/SS for their massive gameplay issues (which I still do).

I also remember that Gen 5 continued to be criticized during most of Gen 6, then it finally started to be more liked during Gen 7. And now, when Gen 5 is one of the more popular generations, it feels like those who dislike it are getting more vocal again. It is really sad to see how Gen 5 can never get any time in the spotlight without being met by heavy criticism. As for the Gen 5 fans currently being rabid, I haven't really seen anything like that (though I am not super active in the fandom anymore, the only place I really interact with other Pokémon fans is here on Smogon). I also hope I don't come off as "rabid" myself, I try to stay rational and reasonable in every situation but it isn't always easy, especially not in a fandom like this.

Regarding Mr. Mime, I'm not super fond of it. I think it is one of the less interesting Psychic-types from Gen 1, alongside Hypno and Jynx. I think Alakazam, Slowbro, Starmie and Mewtwo are the superior Psychic-types of Gen 1. That's probably not unpopular though. However, I do like Galarian Mr. Mime. I'm planning to give some deeper thoughts on it in a future post which I am working on, but it isn't quite ready yet. Hopefully tomorrow, if all goes to plan.

As for Pokémon designs on the whole... I don't know of this is unpopular, but I definitely prefer the designs from the newer generations over the older ones. In terms of designs, I'd rank the generations like this: 5/6/7/8 > 3/4 > 2 > 1. As for why I'm not so fond of Gen 1, there are many reasons. I don't think it has aged all that well, to be honest. As said in the beginning of this post, it has some good designs, but also several boring ones. I feel that it has way more boring designs than any other generation, which for me automatically puts it at the bottom. I am also very tired of the Gen 1 roster on the whole, I find it hard to find inspiration from the Gen 1 Pokémon, even from the designs I actually like. I am also annoyed at how they are constantly getting most of the attention in the franchise on the whole, as opposed to the current generation which is the one I feel should be getting the most attention. I think that in the past, Gen 3, 4, and 5 did get most of the attention when they were the newest, which was great. Unfortunately, this seems to have changed for Gen 6 and especially for Gen 7 where Gen 1 took a lot more of the spotlight instead. But now during Gen 8, it feels like it is a bit better than during Gen 6/7 at least, as I don't feel like Gen 1 is taking too much of the attention anymore, which is good as it is a step in the right direction. But it can still be better. If I were to guess, they are afraid of giving the spotlight to the newest generation after the extreme criticism the Gen 5 designs got back when it was new, which is a shame.

However, one thing I do approve of is when they give a Mega or regional variant to a Gen 1 Pokémon and make it successful. If they can take a boring old Gen 1 Pokémon and spice it up to make it interesting, then I'm all for it. Some good examples where they have done so (IMO, if nothing else) are Mega Charizard X, Pinsir and Kangaskhan, Alolan Meowth, Sandslash and Muk, as well as Galarian Meowth, Ponyta, Rapidash, Weezing, Mr. Mime and the legendary birds. There are others too, but I think those are among the best examples. So that is one instance where I don't mind them giving attention to Gen 1, at least as long as they actually do it successfully.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I will defend Dewgong until my last breath.

happy seal :D
Wouldn't suggest watching the latest Lockstin video then...

Ongoing Gen I Design Discussion:
Just want to say I don't really have a problem with any of the Gen I designs. Probably bias, but I also let the more plain designs pass by being they're, you know, the first batch. Like, Gen I feels like them creating the base on what can constitute as a "Pokemon". In that regard, I feel Gen II was them experimenting with how extreme can they push some designs and concepts yet still feel like "Pokemon". With both the base and experimental phase done it's likely around Gen III a IV did they fully cement the Pokemon design ideology.

en 1's roster has aged absurdly well, and I feel like people have lost sight of that. It originally started with people bringing up the generation's weaker designs as a rebuttal to the boomers who sip monster energy while moping about Pokemon designs not being what they were in the Good Ol Days:tm:, but it feels like this gag has been run so deep into the ground for the past 3 years or so that Pokefans now genuinely think every Gen 1 design is on the level of shit like Seaking and Dewgong. But when you think about it for more than 3 seconds, this assertion immediately falls apart.
Not going to talk about design because that's subjective, but I would like to point out that a big advantage is that Gen 1 gets a lot more attention than the other generations, notably having two sets of remakes and having a huge chunk of regional variants, Mega Evolution, and Gigantamax, meaning they have more advantages for buffs thanks to bias from developers.

Dragonite, Mewtwo, Mew, Gengar, Alakazam, Lapras, Gyarados, Snorlax, all 3 starters, the original Eeveelutions, Ninetales, the Nidos, and so, SO much more. All of these Pokemon are not just great design-wise but an impressive chunk have remained competitively relevant in some form, whether in Smogon or Game Freak formats.
How exactly are we deciding whether a Pokemon is competitively successful or not? Is it based off usage? In that case, only Dragonite, Nidoking, Slowbro, Zapdos, and Clefable have remained in OU currently. Alakazam and Gengar are BL though since Spectrier outclasses the latter before the ban. Lapras is only high in VGC thanks to GMax. The original eveelutions have been completely power crept in both Smogon formats and Cartridge formats, while Nidoqueen is cast aside for Nidoking for OU. Snorlax lost its niche in VGC thanks to the nerf to the super berries.

As for Mr. Mime, I don't mind it, and I think its idle animation in the 3D games captures its personality of a Mime quite well. However, I definitely prefer Slowbro, Jynx, Starmie, and Alakazam when it comes Gen 1 Psychic types.

On a whole though, I find it hard to say which generation has the best designs overall, I believe every generation has good designs and bad designs, and which design is good or bad, depends as a person.

On the topic of Gen 1 Designs , I agree with Suspicious Derivative that Gen 1 gets a lot of passes when it comes to criticism that the other Gens in the series gets. I want to split up this in to two sections:

Pokemon Designs: I've been meaning to write about this for a while, and this was the perfect opportunity to do it, so here we go: I love Magmortar, that's definitely an unpopular opinion based on the fandom I've spoken to on Smogon Discord. When I was a kid, DP were my first games, and I really loved Magmortar. I always thought it was so cool with that cannon arm that can spit fireballs that exceed 3,600 degrees farenheit. Yet wherever I go, I see people complain how Magmortar "ruined " Magmar by older fans and that just really makes me angry. I really like the majority of the Gen 4 Cross evolutions, with Leafeon, Togekiss, Mismagius, and Gallade being some of my favorites, so it really annoys me when older fans claim they ruined the line, while in the actuality they made the lines in terms of gameplay. Listen to this YouTube criticize Rhyperior for its design while claiming Mesprit's prowress in competitive battling while neglecting Rhyperior's prowress in the competitive scene. This kind of criticism for the Cross Gens is probably the main reason why it was dropped until Gen 8, in which its compromised to the Galarian form, which is also a Kanto Majority, while in contrast the Sinnoh ones were well distributed between 1, 2, and 3.

Gameplay: I personally think Kanto has terrible type distrubution. There are too many Poison types ( In fact Gen 1 had the most Poison types in any generation and more Water types in Gen 1 as a whole ), all the Normal types were either Pure Normal ( Prior to Fairy ) or Normal/Flying, Zapdos was the only Dual typed Electric, Moltres and Charizard were the only Fire types who weren't pure, all the Rock types were Quad weak to Grass except Aerodactyl, there is generally too many flying types, 3/5 Ice types were Water/Ice, and in general, a lot of combinations are reused too much like Grass/Poison, Normal/Flying, and Water/Ice. Ghost and Dragon are too rare and only have one line each. Whenever I bring up this Type Balancing issues in Kanto and their remakes, I either get two responses: " It was the first Gen so it doesn't count " and " Dark and Steel didn't exist in the originals " so its fine. For the former, I would have let it slide if they have bothered to fix these remakes since Kanto had two unlike the other Gens, but for FRLG, they didn't allow any of the cross gens to be obtainable, which would have allowed more Dragon, Dark, and Steel respectively in the Dex, but no, they had the most strict trading restrictions ever, preventing you from obtaining the Cross-Gens until you have become Champion and obtained the National Dex. Because of these design choices, Steel and Dragon only have one each, and there are 0 Dark types in FRLG until you have reached the Sevii Islands. Even in Let's Go, they still only had two lines available for Dark, Alolan Raticate and Alolan Muk/Persian depending on the version, and Let's Go Eevee only has Alolan Diglett and Magnetmite lines as the available Steel types. Pokemon Go was on Gen 4 when Let's Go launched, so most of the Cross Gens were available ( Sylveon was the only one missing ) so they had no reason not to include them. That being said, it feels like the Alolan forms were designed to fill in gaps left by only including the original 151, since the majority are Dark, Ghost, Steel, and Ice, all of which were rare types in Gen 1.

But here's the thing: No matter how many times I bring up these points, I always find someone who has to create an excuse, usually the former two mentioned above. On the contrary, DP had a lot of the same issues, like a lack of Fire types, which is one of its biggest complaints and the fanbase is very vocal about that, alongside the remaining Pokemon of Gen 4 being missing from the Pokedex. Fortunately, Platinum exists and fixed most of the problems including the Fire types and Cross gens as well as improving the roles of characters like Team Galactic and Cynthia. None of the enhanced versions of Kanto have done anything to improve the storyline from my understanding, heck, I even heard that Yellow is a worse third version than Red and Blue! In a similar note, HGSS get criticized for not allowing all of the Cross-Gens in the game, but at the very at least, you could trade with people to obtain cross-gens should you really want to use them.

But it seems that the developers agree with the consensus that Gen 1 is "perfect" to the point they remade it twice, all of which try to stay the true to the originals twice, which probably adds to the frustration Gen 1 gets a pass for everything.

Anyway, that's why I think Gen 1 gets an unfair pass for lot of issues that other games get criticized for.

On the topic of fanbases, from my experience on Smogon and Bulbagarden forums, it seems that most Pokemon fans are some of the most chill and nicest people I interacted with. Its one if the many reasons I stay on these Forums, and I disagree saying that certain generation fans are more rabid than others. Yes, sure we have our own opinions, but most people are very civil about it and can respect one another's reasons. Its not perfect though, as we've seen with Dexit and the Current TCG fiasco going on, but from my experience, Pokemon fans are some of the nicest people I'm met and I'm so happy to be part of Smogon and contribute to the community. Some things I noticed with Bulbagarden people is that the most popular games consistently are: Platinum, HGSS, BW, B2W2, and the most current gen, SwSh in this case, which seems to be on par with Smogon. I personally believe that the Pokemon community is some of the most forgiving fanbases out there, in contrast to the Smash community which has some of the most obnoxious people who send death threats to Sakurai for not including Waluigi despite going out of the way to get characters like Steve, Joker, Banjo and Kazooie and Sephiroth despite it being easier to use Nintendo characters for Smash. And let's not forget when Byleth was revealed for Smash Ultimate, how the entire Smash GameFaqs community had an enormous meltdown, with some message boards encouraging toxicity and harassment towards Fire Emblem fans. Its that kind of behavior is why I avoid the Smash community In general.

However, one thing I do approve of is when they give a Mega or regional variant to a Gen 1 Pokémon and make it successful.
What are your views on the Gen 1 Gmaxes?
Just want to say I don't really have a problem with any of the Gen I designs. Probably bias, but I also let the more plain designs pass by being they're, you know, the first batch.
While it's obviously true that they were going to be more basic since they were the first, that's sort of how we have to criticize it. As I have stated before, I have no problem with any of the Pokedexes, but we should treat all gens on equal ground. While it might not necessarily true that they could have designed some of the newer pokemon easily back then due to the sprite limit, they could have definitely translated something like the Applin line into the early sprites. Perhaps less detailed, yes, but they still could have made something like it.

About Gen 1 Pokemon design, what about people who draw early Pokemon in a Kanto style ? For example, Sujectively realized a serie of video where they do this with Gen 8 Pokemon. I've also seen anekdamian on Instagram who regularly publish 3 random Pokemon from past Gen 2 drawn in a Kanto style. I often see in the comments people commenting "Kanto better" or other stuff like this, but I honestly think, with all the respect I have for Kanto Pokemon, that for some of them, if it wasn't written "Kanto", they wouldn't have say this. For some Pokemon in their new style (and I don't say this for Kanto style especially) it's like the artist hadn't gotten the concept of the Pokemon. So the result isn't the actual Pokemon with a new style, it's a totally different Pokemon.
That's why I like Truegreen7 series "Redesigning my least favourite Pokemon", because he doesn't try to denaturate the concept of Pokemon he's redesigning.

What are your views on the Gen 1 Gmaxes?
I have to admit that I have never looked at them very closely since I don't care much for Gmax as a concept. I think it could have been handled better in the games, and I have personally not used it that much myself, only for three Pokémon in Sword: Urshifu-Rapid, Cinderace and Melmetal. One other issue I have with it is how it is mostly focused on Gen 1 and Gen 8, with the only Pokémon from other Generations getting a Gmax form being Garbodor and Melmetal. But to answer your question, I looked at the Gen 1 Gmaxes a little now and I'm mostly neutral towards them. I feel that most of them are just too similar to the original Pokémon and doesn't really change or improve the base Pokémon in any meaningful way, notably Charizard, Butterfree, Pikachu, Machamp and Eevee. Meowth is weird, and I have no strong feelings in either direction for Gengar or Venusaur. The others are a bit interesting though, I like Lapras, Snorlax and Blastoise the best, while Kingler gets a point for having a beard. In general, I think that most of the Galar Gmaxes are way cooler than the Kanto ones.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While it might not necessarily true that they could have designed some of the newer pokemon easily back then due to the sprite limit, they could have definitely translated something like the Applin line into the early sprites. Perhaps less detailed, yes, but they still could have made something like it.
Like this:

I don't really know how unpopular this is, but I figure it's pretty unpopular, at least across the entire fanbase.

Gen 6-8 are my favorite. Specifically, 7>8>6.
The new pokemon designs for the regions, the regions themselves, and the music.

I will say that there are quite alot of Pokemon that didn't do well in the 3D transition, but I think that number gets way overblown. I also think that Gen 8 has fixed at least some of them.

I saw some people talking about fanbase toxicity, and I think it's mostly on YT. That's where a lot of creators milk hate for the newer games, so they tend to spread to most Pokemon related videos.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
It’s been a while since I’ve supposedly posted in this thread, and I have some real head scratchers for you guys. Just hear me out.

1. The National Dex being removed in Sword and Shield was a good change (gave other Pokémon a chance in competitive, and most unpopular mons were cut anyway)

2. Generation 5 isn’t the worst generation but it also isn’t the best (in addition to this, the OST is not the best in the series)

3. X and Y sequels were never going to exist in the first place (Fun fact, Masuda once said ORAS was the XY sequels)

4. Generation 4 is just a clone of Generation 3 the more you look into it (the way the Champion is introduced, the way the evil team operates, reused content, etc.)

5. Mega Evolution was a bad gimmick that needed to go and should not return in future games (somehow it’s even more stupid in Pokémon Go)

6. This one’s more of a prediction, but Legends Arceus won’t be the popular game everyone thinks

7. The franchise as a whole peaked in quality in Generation 3 and has only gone downhill since (GameCube compatibility is a big part of this)

8. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon’s older games aren’t any better than the newer ones (GTI is underrated, fight me)

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
It’s been a while since I’ve supposedly posted in this thread, and I have some real head scratchers for you guys. Just hear me out.

1. The National Dex being removed in Sword and Shield was a good change (gave other Pokémon a chance in competitive, and most unpopular mons were cut anyway)

2. Generation 5 isn’t the worst generation but it also isn’t the best (in addition to this, the OST is not the best in the series)

3. X and Y sequels were never going to exist in the first place (Fun fact, Masuda once said ORAS was the XY sequels)

4. Generation 4 is just a clone of Generation 3 the more you look into it (the way the Champion is introduced, the way the evil team operates, reused content, etc.)

5. Mega Evolution was a bad gimmick that needed to go and should not return in future games (somehow it’s even more stupid in Pokémon Go)

6. This one’s more of a prediction, but Legends Arceus won’t be the popular game everyone thinks

7. The franchise as a whole peaked in quality in Generation 3 and has only gone downhill since (GameCube compatibility is a big part of this)

8. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon’s older games aren’t any better than the newer ones (GTI is underrated, fight me)
Some real high-quality garbage takes here for the most part, but I don't know if 3 can really be called an opinion.

I can definitely agree with this, it makes sense.
Yes, unpopular opinions and all, but this can be refuted from me just saying "I prefer the gen 5 OST to the (blank gen) OST" and you can't exactly say something to oppose that other than "Well I prefer the (blank gen) OST because it sounds nicer". Now gen 5 definitely isn't the worst or best game, as my statement of the new one always being better than the previous shows how I think it's better than gens 1-4 but worse than gens 6-8.
Makes sense, and I don't have a particular attachment to X and Y so I can't be too sad.
However, think about how the champion is introduced in almost every game. A big event where they do something important, say "I'll see you later", and continue onwards. Otherwise, I have no comment.
The thing about Megas was that when you think about it, they really weren't that interesting. They weren't a bad gimmick, no I found them enjoyable. But as I have said in the past it lacks a lot of things that other features introduced do have.
I can see why you think this, and I think it entirely depends on how GF does it. At the moment, we know basically nothing about it so we can't make many predictions on it. i do think it will be a fun game, but somewhat like Pokemon Snap where certain people will just not like it at all.
Definitely disagree with this. While yes, it is the gen I feel most attached to, I still think that the games are constantly improving on features, making them better than the previous game.
Never played either past a little bit, so I have no comments.
Fair. I'm still not sure if 3 can be called a take though. That statement is either correct or incorrect, there's not really any subjectivity to it.
Yeah, true.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Fair. I'm still not sure if 3 can be called a take though. That statement is either correct or incorrect, there's not really any subjectivity to it.
This is also fair. I can’t decide if I believe half of the opinions on my list, but then again, that’s what makes them unpopular. Maybe I’ll replace #3 with another stinker.

ahem

Cynthia is a poorly designed Champion who is only popular because the teenage guys who grew up with 4th Gen are a bunch of p**vs

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Cynthia is a poorly designed Champion who is only popular because the teenage guys who grew up with 4th Gen are a bunch of p**vs
Excuse you, sir, I'll have you know that there's only one Pokémon girl for me, and it's not Cynthia.
Spr BW Shauntal.png

In all seriousness, I can see where you're coming from with this one. Cynthia definitely toes the line between fun challenge and too hard to be enjoyable, and she probably also got a significant popularity boost among pubescents by being hot, but I don't think it's fair to attribute all of her popularity in the wider fandom to teenage boys who desperately need to find girlfriends. If nothing else, the Garchomp definitely made an impression on people, and the rest of her team is pretty balanced. My only major complaint with the fight itself is that I think the Garchomp is too much of the difficulty, and the rest of her team feels kinda free in comparison even though they're some of the strongest Pokémon in Sinnoh. I also think her character is more complicated than most people realize.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Excuse you, sir, I'll have you know that there's only one Pokémon girl for me, and it's not Cynthia.
Spr BW Shauntal.png

In all seriousness, I can see where you're coming from with this one. Cynthia definitely toes the line between fun challenge and too hard to be enjoyable, and she probably also got a significant popularity boost among pubescents by being hot, but I don't think it's fair to attribute all of her popularity in the wider fandom to teenage boys who desperately need to find girlfriends. If nothing else, the Garchomp definitely made an impression on people, and the rest of her team is pretty balanced. My only major complaint with the fight itself is that I think the Garchomp is too much of the difficulty, and the rest of her team feels kinda free in comparison even though they're some of the strongest Pokémon in Sinnoh. I also think her character is more complicated than most people realize.
I can agree with 90% of this, with the other 10% being because I don’t fit into any group of Pokémon fans... before I start dwelling on the truth of that statement (this isn’t the thread for that), I will say one thing.

(This part of the post has been deleted to prevent off-topic discussion.)

Last edited:
I don’t think that phione is the worst mythical. It’s still bad don’t get me wrong, but I think that volcanion and zarude are definitely worse. Not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but phione seems to always be at the bottom of a lot of lists. Also mythicals are legendary’s don’t fight me I’m tired of this debate.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t think that phione is the worst mythical. It’s still bad don’t get me wrong, but I think that volcanion and zarude are definitely worse. Not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but phione seems to always be at the bottom of a lot of lists. Also mythicals are legendary’s don’t fight me I’m tired of this debate.
This post is valid, although in my opinion the worst mythical would have to be... hmm. That’s a tough one. Those are good picks though. You probably already knew this, but people don’t like Phione because of how it’s like a Manaphy pre-evolution but also not at the same time.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can agree with 90% of this, with the other 10% being because I don’t fit into any group of Pokémon fans... before I start dwelling on the truth of that statement (this isn’t the thread for that), I will say one thing.

Introducing an Elite Four guy in Sinnoh who likes to read (Lucian) and then introducing an Eite Four girl who likes to write (Shauntal) in the very next generation... that’s just asking for something to happen.
PERV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)