Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
God the worst part of this is going to be seeing so many Trump supporters laughing about election salt and all of that mess. I couldn't care less about any of that, I'm just genuinely concerned for the well-being of everyone I know, and I'm legitimately terrified of what may be to come in the future. Look at what's happening to the stock market RIGHT NOW when the polls aren't even over yet. And we may still have four more years of this to deal with, having a man in the white house who has literally zero political experience in his life and no understanding of economics or foreign policy whatsoever. I don't want to see the country split over this election, we're all Americans and I just want what's best for everyone who lives here. And I'm scared for all of us that what we're going to get is the furthest thing possible from that.

I don't want it to be this way. Time will show soon enough that we've all been played for a bunch of suckers.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah I'm just pointing out that we're already seeing some negative effects before the guy's even been elected yet. We've got far more and far worse ahead of us and I'm not looking forward to it at all. Not to mention that his stance on climate change is going to have huge long term effects as well.

Last edited:
Clinton vs Trump is such a lopsided matchup on paper that what we're seeing now feels less like missing an open goal and more like ignoring the ball and running straight into the goalpost. I mean she's losing to someone who appears to be batshit insane

edit: wait I just checked again and the margin is down to 8 electoral votes? Maybe the world might not be fucked after all?

edit2: lol nvm

Last edited:

Skitty

i dont care if i ever come down♪
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Key findings from early exit polls (note exit polls have historically missed reasonably often... do not rely on these findings too much):

voters feel better about the national economy (only 62% say it is some degree of bad) than they did in either 2008 (93%) or 2012 (76%), which is generally good for the incumbent party

voters also feel somewhat better about their own family's finances compared to 4 years ago (+3) than they did in 2012 (-8), which is also generally good for the incumbent party

also finding 37% democrats, 32% republicans, 31% independents (2012 was 38, 32, 29, so little change, though it is in favor of republicans - but not enough to overcome 2012's margin without Trump doing significantly better among independents than Romney did, especially if Trump underperforms with registered Republicans)

finding Obama with 54% approval on election day, ie if people view Hillary as more Obama, she's got a pretty high ceiling

and finally, as evidence to Trump potentially underperforming Romney... exit polls have white college educated men as only +11 for Trump. Past 4 elections they have been +23, +20, +14, and +21 for the GOP
lmao

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is she losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Hillary to be president and fix this broken country. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought she was polling well in Michigan???? This is so fucked.

how can people vote for a narcissistic rapey idiotic cruel fuckface and have the balls to justify their retarded opinions with dumb email scandals that dont even fucking matter

like holy shit this country is fucked if these are the kind of people that inhabit this vast deserted wasteland

Do they not realize that this guy intends to fuck up the grassroots of America just because "he can"? How can you fall for this shit? The only noteworthy thing this fucker has ever done is give us all a good laugh, and now he wins the motherfucking election just by managing to sell the results of his hemorrhaging campain to desperate misguided americans. Yet again the republicans have fucked themselves over. Is anyone surprised? No. Instead they say "hes saying what they dont want us to hear so hes telling us the truth!" What is this, the fucking matrix? There is no rigging, there are no secrets, there are only empty conspiracy theories feebly cobbled together to resemble half a campaign. I legitimately don't want to live here anymore. This country is fucked if we're dumb enough to elect a complete and total retard to the most powerful position in the world because it's "necessary".

HINT: IT'S NOT FUCKING NECESSARY. IT NEVER WILL BE.

This country is going to the dogs, and its people with it. My legs feel numb and im almost gonna cry. This idiot, this rapist, this moron shouldnt touch the white house. But we, we are so stupid that we let him take it.

Analytic im trying out for asia next year see u then

I need to buy some god damned stock. This stock market prices being down 700 points just screams a serious buyers market right now and I have quite a bit of savings laying around I can play with...

This year is fucking nuts. Cleveland wins a championship. The Cubs won the World Series. And Donald Trump is elected president of the United States.

What a period of time historically to be alive. We'll be talking about this shock and era to come for the rest of our collective lives.

It's becoming increasingly likely that Trump will be our President Elect. The majority of our country voted for this. As a nation, we have to rally behind him, because we have to put our country first. I just have to keep doing my best and do my part in making this country a better place.

It's becoming increasingly likely that Trump will be our President Elect. The majority of our country voted for this. As a nation, we have to rally behind him, because we have to put our country first. I just have to keep doing my best and do my part in making this country a better place.
You don't have to put your country first and you don't have to put someone you disagree with or their values first because of an arbitrary inclination towards unanimity. What if putting your country first, incidentally, involved a complete dismantlement of its polity?

Understand that a lot of tensions are running high tonight, but I hope that the liberal left can look to its errors tonight in assessing materially critical struggles in the USA and what it should be valuing, and understand a little more about the global conditions that have led to results like this in other countries for years (an upsurge in fascism and nationalism, anti-establishment sentiment being won over by fascists intead of leftists, liberals blowing political subcapital on worthless things like romneycare and busy fucking around with property instead of people at a time when many feel the relevance of class politics more than ever due to economic crises). Leftists are not your enemy, fascists are. This should be a moment not for self-congratulatory disavowment of the result but instead awareness that systemic alienation of the disenfranchised and continued prioritisation of elite classes has created a political system that is neither your friend nor the friend of the world. Solidarity with PoC and poor people, particularly the disabled (as someone with pre-existing genetic conditions who is very reliant on health insurance to make it through year to year), all of whom will struggle as a result of Trump's domestic policies.

Now is a great time to do that btw instead of performative introspection about how a country with an entrenched history of racism voted along racial lines to elect a racist president (never mind the class relevance to this which is a whole 'nother post). Support one another and work hard at all points to combat these ideas and help those suffering as a result. Make opposing fascism something you do not as a boss battle against a single figure who embodies it but every single person who perpetuates it. An electoral defeat for Trump today would not have been a death blow to fascism. So please take heart and remember the fight continues for all of us, and those of us affected by American foreign policy or whose countries participate in it through alliances/whose domestic policy is somewhat influenced are fighting with you.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more it's apparent that Donald Trump is a magician operating at a higher level than anybody else. What were his chances of winning in most poll aggregates yesterday? 15%? 25%? 30% at the most? Now he's almost guaranteed to win the election.

A mere two years ago, the number of people who thought Donald Trump would win the presidency was zero. People called him delusional for even talking about the notion of running. Now where is he? Headed for the white house.

Let's go through the list of wrongs. The incorrect predictions, if you will:

Donald Trump will never get real support as a candidate.
Donald Trump will never survive a primary debate.
Donald Trump will never win a state.
Donald Trump will never break his poll ceiling in the primaries.
Donald Trump will never obtain 1237 delegates.
Donald Trump will never receive the support of Republicans.
Donald Trump will never poll above Hillary Clinton.
Donald Trump will never win the election. <- YOU ARE HERE
Donald Trump will never get any of his policies through Congress.
Donald Trump will never receive the support of America's allies.
Donald Trump will never be re-elected.
Donald Trump will never have a successful policy.
Donald Trump will never be remembered as a good president.
Donald Trump will never Make America Great Again.

It's important to remember that this whole election cycle was very much a Donald Trump vs. the world scenario, and Donald Trump won. That's more than what I can say about any politician in living memory. No amount of astroturfing, smugness, condescension, snark, protests, rigging, or animosity from the establishment could stop him.

Can't stump the Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)