Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Big sexy Claydol checks Banded Aggron. It always outspeeds Banded Aggron and blows it away with Earth Power. However, besides Ice Punch which has a 25% chance to OHKO, all of Aggron’s other moves only 2HKO Claydol so it can only come in once on Banded Aggron if necessary.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Apologies once again for the late week.

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Trick

Check, definitely does not take a Head Smash, but definitely OHKOs with Hydro Pump, Water Spout, and even Shadow Ball after slight chip.

Checks:

StickingGum's Mudsdale

PhantomHurious's Primeape

Oathkeepre's Gurdurr

BackAtYouBro's Claydol

Darkinium's Jellicent

Counters:

Guwahavel's Quagsire

Jmash324's Poliwrath

tlenit1's Bronzor

(Mudsdale was submitted as a counter, but I downgraded it to a check because it loses to Ice Punches on the switch due to its lack of recovery.)

Vote for 2 checks, 2 counters!

Checks: StickingGum's Mudsdale, Oathkeepre's Gurdurr
Counters: Guwahavel's Quagsire, tlenit1's Bronzor

This round ends Sunday!

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Winners:

Checks:
StickingGum's Mudsdale,
Oathkeepre's Gurdurr,
BackAtYouBro's Claydol

Counters:
Guwahavel's Quagsire,
tlenit1's Bronzor,
Jmash324's Poliwrath

The OP has been updated.

I'm sad to say that that is the last round I will be hosting this thread. As I've been owning this thread for longer and longer, updating and posting new rounds has begun to feel more and more like a chore, especially since I'm not as engaged in PU and Pokemon overall as I used to be. Hopefully you guys had fun participating in this project, it was an honor to be in charge of this thread. To whoever takes on this project next, if anyone, I wish you - and all participants - the best of luck! :blobnom:

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
The OP has been updated.

I'm sad to say that that is the last round I will be hosting this thread. As I've been owning this thread for longer and longer, updating and posting new rounds has begun to feel more and more like a chore, especially since I'm not as engaged in PU and Pokemon overall as I used to be. Hopefully you guys had fun participating in this project, it was an honor to be in charge of this thread. To whoever takes on this project next, if anyone, I wish you - and all participants - the best of luck! :blobnom:
You've done a great job Darkinium, 34 weeks is a lot of dedication I say. I think I can say for everyone, this project was definitely very fun and props to you for working so hard on it.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say that Megazard graciously allowed me to take over this thread from Darkinium. I will be posting the next victim sometime today and we will proceed just like it has been Submission phase (Sunday-Thursday night) and Voting phase (Thursday night-Sunday)! Let's continue to make this thread the best it's ever been!

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
48AB4EE7-5052-496A-8BB4-DD749EBF1FF3.gif

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell / Protect

Bulky Pivot Lanturn acts as an AV Lanturn check. AV Lanturn can't do much to Bulky Pivot Lanturn unless it has the rare HP grass, which you still tank somewhat comfortably while you Toxic stall it.

Last edited:

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off

Audino as a Counter, takes basically nothing from Lanturn's attacks, doesn't care about Volt Switch chip due to Regenerator, and can heal away burns or paralysis with Heal Bell if necessary. Knock Off can slowly chip Lanturn if it stays in for some reason while removing it's Assault Vest.

172+ SpA Lanturn Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 75-88 (18.2 - 21.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
172+ SpA Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 66-78 (16 - 19%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Audino Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 72-85 (18.4 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO

Last edited:

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor

Lilligant (F) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Lilligant is a check towards Lanturn. You don't take Ice beam well so come in on a free switch. You sleep powder it, proceed to set up Quiver Dance and +1 Bloom Doom takes it out.

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Assault Vest Eelektross is a counter Assault Vest Lanturn, as it soaks up any hit easily and retaliates with Giga Drain, which also keeps it healthy.

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
(thanks Darkinium for all the work you put in for this thread up until now! You were a great host.)

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Clefairy is a counter to Assault Vest Lanturn. It takes every hit Lanturn can dish out, threatens it (or any switch-in) with Toxic and gets up Stealth Rock against it.
Thanks to Magic Guard it also doesn't need to scout for the other sets as it's toxic-immune.

Bellossom @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
- Strength Sap
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Safeguard

I can easily say that Bellossom is a pretty good Lanturn counter. Ice Beam is only a 3HKO after Leftovers as Bellossom proceeds to use Lanturn as easy set up fodder and weakens Lanturn’s attacks even more with countless Quiver Dance boosts.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Hi! I would like to submit Spdef Roselia as an AV Lanturn Counter.

Cup (Roselia) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Ice beam is doing nothing to you, as it is always a 4 hit ko.
172+ SpA Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 78-94 (25.7 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

You get to spike up on it every single time, or synth up if you're starting to get a bit low!
The best Lanturn can do is volt out on you.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Iron Defense

Type: Null is a fantastic counter to not just Assault Vest Lanturn, but any Lanturn set, as it can take advantage of its passivity due to its above-average special bulk complemented by Eviolite and generate free turns to set up with Swords Dance and Iron Defense. While Bulky Pivot Type: Null can also accomplish this task of countering Assault Vest Lanturn, Sleep Talking a U-turn and forcing a teammate to take extra entry hazard recoil is unfortunate.

1545160689019.png

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Leafeon @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis
- Swords Dance

Leafeon serves as an offensive check. As funny as it is, at full HP, Leafeon can come in on an Ice Beam and live and then OHKO right back with Leaf Blade.

252 Atk Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 408-480 (104.3 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It does need to be wary of a Scald burn though!

Checks:

StickingGum's Bulky Lanturn

Toy Time King's Lilligant

Oathkeepre's Leafeon

Counters:

Guwahavel's Audino

Jmash324's Eelektross

uhuhuhu7's Clefairy

BackAtYouBro's Bellossom

Specs Jigglypuff's Roselia

Aaronboyer's Type: Null

Vote for 2 checks, 2 counters!

Checks:

Counters:

This round ends Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)