VGC '11 US National - Indianapolis - July 8th to 10th - WON by superwolfe & Cybertron

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts about Nationals

Ya I have to agree with Evan. I really wanted to enjoy watching all 3 divisions finals. Why travel all the way to nationals just to have to try and watch all 3 finals at the same time :( Sure it would be 45 min for each finals but it would definitely be worth it. Obv had to watch masters and support team dan. Guess I'll have to live with watching them online :(

-Overall though Nationals was great! It was nice that the volunteers at the side events and actually were asking if you want to do a tcg/vgc 8 man tourny. Last year they only asked to do tcg so that was a huge plus.

-I'm still wondering if it's possible for TPCI to get another area for vgc to seperate us from tcg since the noise pollution that we create I'm sure messes the concentration for topcut/swiss) in tcg (like OD+Huy's match or some of TTS's matches on TV). If budget is a problem nvm, but it would be awesome if we could have 2 separate areas is all.

-I also was wondering if it's possible for TPCI to rotate locations for Nationals every year. I know a lot of people might not like the idea but it's still something to think about. Last year I went to Indy already so I wasn't as excited as I was before. Worlds at least we have a different location every year. Nationals however is always the same place. Even just a rotation between locations would be awesome (like different locations within the middle of the U.S.)

-My only problem was the change from glass->medals. IMO if your going to be competing at a national level getting a medal just doesn't feel the same as winning glass. For TCG, its fine to give City/State/Regionals (even for vgc regionals) a medal cause they aren't as high up the pyramid. Just giving my opinion here is all.

-Lastly I want to thank Mike Liesik for everything he has done for the VGC. I've been a competitive player mostly for vg and never got a chance to compete in something like this. With the whole raffle situation in 09 and now with the new senior division it's nice to see improvement in this and that Mike does listen to us and read the forums.

SEE YOU ALL AT WORLDS!

EDIT: Also noticed that vgc didn't get 3/4 place medals. If you could give tcg 3/4 place medals vgc should also get medals too. Just my opinion is all.

Hey when you can announce three matches at once you have to do it. That was actually worse than the different screens to me.

EDIT: Also noticed that vgc didn't get 3/4 place medals. If you could give tcg 3/4 place medals vgc should also get medals too. Just my opinion is all.
totally agreed, it hurt looking in that medal case waiting for the finals to start

-Lastly I want to thank Mike Liesik for everything he has done for the VGC. I've been a competitive player mostly for vgc and never got a chance to compete in something like this. With the whole raffle situation in 09 and now with the new senior division it's nice to see improvement in this and that Mike does listen to us and read the forums.
also agreed

Hello everyone! I was 4-3 during Nationals on Saturday. Everyone I lost too was pretty good. My first loss was because my opponent simply outsmarted me (best use of Zoroark I've ever seen). My second loss was to DukeTheDevil who out-predicted me and my third loss was to GreenStaar mostly due to a bad match-up of Pokémon. Hax didn't really affect my battles much, so I feel pretty content about the results. Overall, I got 26th place. I'll be aiming for a higher place next year.

Congratulations to everyone who did well!

Overall, I got 26th place. I'll be aiming for a higher place next year.
Even though they use opponent's win %, and opponent's opponent's win % as tiebreakers, I like to think that everyone with the same record ties. :-) It makes me feel better lol. Thus, I just tell non-Poke-educated folk that I was "tied for 18th at 4-3"! :-)

I had a really great time at Nationals and I'd have to say that our battle together was probably the funnest one I had! Star vs Staar! It was perfect that the battle ended up your male Jelli vs my female Jelli! I was great meeting you, maybe see you at the Worlds LCQ!

Cheers,
GreenStaar

Even though they use opponent's win %, and opponent's opponent's win % as tiebreakers, I like to think that everyone with the same record ties. :-) It makes me feel better lol. Thus, I just tell non-Poke-educated folk that I was "tied for 18th at 4-3"! :-)

I had a really great time at Nationals and I'd have to say that our battle together was probably the funnest one I had! Star vs Staar! It was perfect that the battle ended up your male Jelli vs my female Jelli! I was great meeting you, maybe see you at the Worlds LCQ!

Cheers,
GreenStaar
Yeah, even though I was losing, I really did like the fact that our battle did come down to the two Jellicents. I went down fighting! Overall, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed meeting you too. I'm not planning on attending Worlds this year, but things could change.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just like last year, this was the Pokemon party to be at. I had a great time seeing all my old friends and meeting some new ones! The only thing that sucked was that with the growing numbers of people, it was hard to find the time to hang with everyone as much as I wanted to. Need to get more sleep next time too...

I lost R1 in LCQ with some bad luck, but I won't be able to make it to Worlds. Next year's rules can't come soon enough for me! Good luck to Fish, TTS, and all my friends entering the Worlds LCQ, hope you guys enjoy that trip.

I got to work today and my supervisors and our boss informed me that my peformance at Nationals was far below expectations and unacceptable. True story. The man expects me to cut.

I got to work today and my supervisors and our boss informed me that my peformance at Nationals was far below expectations and unacceptable. True story. The man expects me to cut.
Yeah, screw tie breakers getting you in 17th place! You had 16th place, top cut and the pride of your boss and supervisors on the line!

Congrats Wolfe and Cyber and everyone else who qualified for worlds! Wish I could have been there! Not that anyone really knows me :P I woulda loved to have filmed though, Seattle was fun ^_^;

I totally agree with Dtrain and the others about the three-matches-at-one-time stuff. I was watching the Masters and heard the announcer talking about rain falling and was like "somebody got to the finals using a rain team? I need to see this!" Also, the stream I was watching was trying to stream both the Juniors and Masters at the same time, so I couldn't figure out what was going on in either match. All three finals at one time is one of those ideas that sounds freaking awesome when you're half-asleep and/or drunk, but really it's just a frustrating case of sensory overload, imo. That said, much love to TCPi for doing all they do. Hope to be there next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)