VGC 2014 Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://assets22.pokemon.com/assets/...14/Play_Pokemon_VG_Rules_and_Formats_2014.pdf

• Only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y Game Cards or downloadable versions are permitted for use.
  • Players may use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.
  • Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
  • Pokémon are allowed to Mega Evolve.
  • Pokémon above Level 50 are permitted, but they are auto-leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
  • Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
  • Players may use items that have been officially released via Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
Tobes Edit: Here are all of the fully evolved (plus a handful of unevolved) Pokemon that are currently legal. I've bolded the ones that I think are good, relevant, or interesting.

Abomasnow / Mega-Abomasnow
Absol / Mega-Absol
Accelgor
Aegislash
Aerodactyl / Mega-Aerodactyl
Aggron / Mega-Aggron
Alakazam / Mega-Alakazam
Altaria
Alomola
Amoonguss
Ampharos / Mega-Ampharos
Arbok
Ariados
Aromatisse
Aron
Articuno
Audino
Auroras
Avalugg
Azumarill
Banette / Mega-Banette
Barbaracle
Basculin
Beartic
Beedrill
Bellossom
Bibarel
Bisharp
Blastoise / Mega-Blastoise
Butterfree
Carbink
Carnivine
Chandelure
Charizard / Mega-Charizard-X / Mega-Charizard-Y
Chatot
Chesnaught
Chimecho
Clawitzer
Cloyster
Conkeldurr
Corsola
Crawdaunt
Crobat
Crustle
Cryogonal
Dedenne
Delcatty
Delibird
Delphox
Diggersby
Ditto
Dodrio
Dragalge
Dragonite
Drapion
Drifblim
Druddigon
Dugtrio
Dunsparce
Durant
Electrode
Emolga
Escavalier
Espeon
Exeggutor
Exploud
Farfetch'd
Fearow
Ferrothorn
Flareon
Floatzel
Florges
Flygon
Furfrou
Furret
Gallade
Garbodor
Garchomp / Mega-Garchomp
Gardevoir
/ Mega-Gardevoir
Gengar
/ Mega-Gengar
Gigalith
Glaceon
Gliscor
Gogoat
Golduck
Golem
Golurk
Goodra
Gorebyss
Gothitelle
Gourgeist

Granbull
Greninja
Grumpig
Gyarados / Mega-Gyarados
Hariyama
Hawlucha
Haxorus
Heliolisk
Heracross / Mega-Heracross
Hippowdon
Honchkrow
Houndoom / Mega-Houndoom
Huntail
Hydreigon
Illumise
Jolteon
Jumpluff
Jynx
Kangaskhan / Mega-Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Kingdra
Klefki

Krookodile
Lanturn
Lapras
Leafeon
Ledian
Lickilicky
Liepard
Linoone
Lucario / Mega-Lucario
Ludicolo

Lunatone
Luvdisc
Machamp
Magcargo
Magnezone
Malamar
Mamoswine

Manetric / Mega-Manetric
Mantine
Marowak
Masquerain
Mawile / Mega-Mawile
Medicham / Mega-Medicham
Meowstic

Mienshao
Mightyena
Miltank
Minun
Moltres
Mothim
Mr. Mime
Murkrow
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Ninjask
Noctowl
Noivern
Octillery
Pachirisu
Pangoro
Pelipper
Pidgeot
Pinsir / Mega-Pinsir
Pikachu
Plusle
Politoed
Poliwrath
Probopass
Pyroar
Quagsire
Qwilfish
Raichu
Relicanth
Reuniclus
Rhydon
Rhyperior
Roserade
Rotom
Rotom-F
Rotom-H

Rotom-S
Rotom-W
Sableye
Salamence

Sandslash
Sawk
Scizor / Mega-Scizor
Scolipede
Scrafty
Scyther
Seaking
Seviper
Sharpedo
Shedinja
Shuckle
Sigilyph
Simipour
Simisage
Simisear
Skarmory
Skuntank
Slowbro
Slowking
Slurpluff
Smeargle
Snorlax
Solrock
Spinda
Staraptor
Starmie
Steelix
Stunfisk
Sudowoodo
Swalot
Swanna
Swellow
Swoobat
Sylveon
Talonflame
Tauros
Tentacruel
Throh
Toxicroak
Trevenant
Tyranitar / Mega-Tyranitar
Tyrantrum
Umbreon
Ursaring
Vanilluxe
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Vespiquen
Victreebel
Vileplume
Vivillon
Volbeat
Wailord
Watchog
Weavile
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Wobbuffet
Wormadam
Yanmega
Zangoose
Zapdos
Zoroark

Last edited by a moderator:
Kalos Native
Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A
native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that
have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not
native.

So that means I would have to use my Scrafty I hatched in my X version over my White 2 right? Pretty much sealing all of it's move tutor moves.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes Brophlosion, seals away previous generation tutor moves.

I, for one, am excited that players will have no choice in the matter regarding section 2.1.

I don't get why they are banning 200 odd Pokemon just to effectively slow down hackers a bit.

The big changes this means:
Everything not in the Kalos Dex is banned (including Blaziken).
Anything that relies on Move Tutors or TM's from past games loses those moves.

they went full retard with restricting so many pokemons , way to make vgc even more boring , it was not enough people using allways the same combos

Why are you guys so upset when the first 5th gen VGA only allowed Unova Pokemon? On the other hand I'm expecting any Pokemon without the blue pentagon to be banned from all wireless and wifi battles so goodbye certain legendaries(for now) and tutor moves.

Welp, there goes competitive play for another gen. Hopefully gen 7 will have less retarded restrictions.

(Protip: In any PvP game, the actual PvP is the part that matters. Choosing when to swap, what moves to use, what build to bring, what poke to bring with what EVs, etc is skillful and engaging. Spending 50 hours breeding a single pokemon and getting 15+ boxes worth of non-max pokemon is NOT skillful PvP, it's pointless grind for children who have nothing better to do. Banning legitimate max pokemon who have no illegal moves, items or abilities is the sign that someone is getting the two confused.)

Hopefully enough people enjoy breeding wars to make up for all the people who enjoy actual PvP that are sitting this gen out.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't get why they are banning 200 odd Pokemon just to effectively slow down hackers a bit.

It's not slowing down hackers, it's hype for X and Y. They did this in VGC 2011 too...
they went full retard with restricting so many pokemons , way to make vgc even more boring , it was not enough people using allways the same combos
No Cresselia, no Thundurus, no Landorus, no Tornadus, no Terrakion, no Gems, no Hitmontop, no Gastrodon, no Latios, no Latias, no Jellicent, DiveCats is no longer possible, no Togekiss, and a fuck ton of other things are gone. And you're saying it's more boring with some of the top Pokemon gone...?
Welp, there goes competitive play for another gen. Hopefully gen 7 will have less retarded restrictions.

(Protip: In any PvP game, the actual PvP is the part that matters. Choosing when to swap, what moves to use, what build to bring, what poke to bring with what EVs, etc is skillful and engaging. Spending 50 hours breeding a single pokemon and getting 15+ boxes worth of non-max pokemon is NOT skillful PvP, it's pointless grind for children who have nothing better to do. Banning legitimate max pokemon who have no illegal moves, items or abilities is the sign that someone is getting the two confused.)

Hopefully enough people enjoy breeding wars to make up for all the people who enjoy actual PvP that are sitting this gen out.
I honestly have no idea what the fuck you're talking about... Are you complaining that you won't play because you can't use stuff like Pokecheck to get flawless Pokemon? And did you know we have an online battle simulator?

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus

I'm sorry that you have to follow the rules that have been around for all of VGC. Maybe if you actually played the game you would realize how much easier it is to get competitive Pokémon.

Edit: People need to understand that part of the competition is bringing a team. That means that it's up to you to obtain said Pokémon within the confines of the rules. This isn't Pokémon Stadium rentals.

Last edited:
only thing that wasn't stupid, gen 5 at the start with black and white had the same rules and then with black and white 2 they changed it to every pokemon that wasn't an event exclusive, version mascot, and mewtwo. also your rant about breeding is rather pointless, it takes more skill to breed than it is to use pokecheck

But... We still don't know if Pokémon which have parents from 5G will be considered as native or not.
I think they will but, in that case, the flawless parents which are going to be transfered by RNGers and hackers still give them a huge advatage.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
But... We still don't know if Pokémon which have parents from 5G will be considered as native or not.
I think they will but, in that case, the flawless parents which are going to be transfered by RNGers and hackers still give them a huge advatage.
99.9999% sure they would be considered X/Y native. Also, lots of people already have flawless Pokémon via breeding, and Bank isn't even out for another month.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Considering that it can take as little as five hours to get a flawless Pokemon from almost nothing now, it's actually not that big of a deal.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not really. It doesn't take much effort to produce a Gen VI legal egg. All flawless parents would do is speed up the process, nothing more. Hell I've produced flawless Rotoms using nothing but Dittos from the Friend Safari.

I
No Cresselia, no Thundurus, no Landorus, no Tornadus, no Terrakion, no Gems, no Hitmontop, no Gastrodon, no Latios, no Latias, no Jellicent, DiveCats is no longer possible, no Togekiss, and a fuck ton of other things are gone. And you're saying it's more boring with some of the top Pokemon gone...?
Let's make this really clear. None of the above, NO HEATRAN, No TopMoth, no unlimited weather (that really shifts around strategies like Sand Veil Chomp and Sand Rush Exadrill, and almost eliminates Politoed/Jellicent(WA) Surf/ScarfWatersport Spams.), no exploding Azelf threats, no Bronzong or Dusknoir for TrickRoom/DualScreen, NO METAGROSS (which the smog dedicated as a number one threat in VGC in issue 6)

This is in tandem with new threats like TrickRoom MegaAmpharos, and MegaAggron: both tanks in a new doubles game, and the new boost in Soundmoves (and Infiltrators new ability) to bypass Substitute

However, Blaziken is an official event that I know of, Nintendo did a lot to sponsor it, so... I don't think it's banned at all.
Mega-Gengar, the next pokemon DEBATED (not already, and maybe not at all) on a pre-ubers ban, isn't banned.

However, Blaziken is an official event that I know of, Nintendo did a lot to sponsor it, so... I don't think it's banned at all.
Mega-Gengar, the next pokemon DEBATED (not already, and maybe not at all) on a pre-ubers ban, isn't banned.
The rules specifically say:
"Players may use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147"

Blaziken is not in the Kalos Pokédex.

As said above, if you cared to play legitimately at all, you'd realize that breeding is EASY this Gen. Your "excuses" are really running out at this point.

"Protip": Pros who come with things illegitimately obtained often become non-pros when they actually get caught, or the rules no longer allow them to cheat the way they did. Now that it's fairly easy to breed up good IV'd Pokemon and even easier to EV train them, there really isn't much of an excuse to rely on your cheats any more, but if you refuse to play competitively without the crutch, then there is the simulator, as has been said.

Dark void smeargles are going to be everywhere.
Darkrai is unobtainable in XY, which means it's not actually possible for Smeargle to sketch Dark Void atm.

Anyway this ruleset is more or less Battle Spot XY Doubles, which means we can get discussions rolling sooner than normal. Honestly I don't think the people who are bitching about this have actually tried playing the format, because it's actually quite interesting and enjoyable. If you disagree with this ruleset for philosophical reasons or whatever, that's fine, but please don't waste space in this thread by saying shit like "Nintendo has gone full-retard".

Kalos Native
Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A
native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that
have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not
native.

So that means I would have to use my Scrafty I hatched in my X version over my White 2 right? Pretty much sealing all of it's move tutor moves.
yeah, unfortunately :/

Darkrai is unobtainable in XY, which means it's not actually possible for Smeargle to sketch Dark Void atm.

Anyway this ruleset is more or less Battle Spot XY Doubles, which means we can get discussions rolling sooner than normal. Honestly I don't think the people who are bitching about this have actually tried playing the format, because it's actually quite interesting and enjoyable. If you disagree with this ruleset for philosophical reasons or whatever, that's fine, but please don't waste space in this thread by saying shit like "Nintendo has gone full-retard".
Wait, according to Chris Brown, dark void is legal and it will be possible for it to sketch it via a pokebank with darkrai and the earliest tournament is January which will be more then enough time to prepare one.
Anyway this meta game is going to be interesting with the lack of gems, top tier threats from the last vgc, and I suppose the lack of generation 3,4, and 5 move tutors.
This will no doubt cripple some pokemon who would have otherwise been good this meta game (Zapdos comes to mind).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)