Media Videogame thread

facu

ne me mori facias
I recommend Celeste, a precision platformer and an excellent indie; I daresay it beats Undertale. Its ambience is very good, plus it's backed by an unique story. The distribution of difficulty in each episode is remarkable; the ninth and last episode is quite difficult, adding the "B-Side" chapters, which are like extra levels of the game, and are characterized by being extremely difficult.
gameplay.gif

Deleted User 325563

Banned deucer.
My Top 10 games of all time (In no specific order):

Bioshock (whole saga, but specially 1st one)
Dead Space (whole saga, but specially 1st one)
Soma
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
NFS Most Wanted
Mortal Kombat IX
Revolt
Halo (whole saga, but specially Combat Evolved)
Pokémon Crystal & Emerald (Couldn't decide between one of both)
The Simpsons Hit & Run

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, so recently there has been one of those twitter games trending where you post 4 pieces of box art for the games that defined you and tag 4 of your mates, so I thought I'd start up something similar here. Obviously not gonna make this a tag game bc they're obnoxious when they're not in dedicated threads/on twitter, and bc it's not Twitter I'm gonna make it about 3x3s instead of 4 games.

If you had to pick nine games that you feel have defined you and arrange them in a grid, what games would they be? (And, if you can be arsed, why?) I think it's pretty interesting because it's less about listing out your favorite games (or even necessarily the ones that you played the most) and looks more at how your taste etc. developed and looking at which games helped to shape your world view, and how that can be interpreted is pretty subjective.

For those of you who use Mac/Linux or who don't wanna arse around in MS Paint, you can make grids here: https://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php

This is mine. Games are listed in the order that I played them.

3x3.jpg

Massive Nintoddler here!
This wasn't the first game that I ever played, but it was the one that really got me into gaming (alongside Lego Star Wars and Mariokart DS, which I've had to omit bc I only have 9 slots+this one definitely had more of an effect on my taste). It also shaped my decision to go on and play a lot of the games that I went on to play, as I was (obviously) that one kid in school who still played kiddy Nintendo games while everyone else had moved onto #GrownUp games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. While it wasn't enough of a direct influence on me to make the list, probably the most notable direction that NSMB sent me in was towards Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which in turn made me interested to try out other Nintendo franchises, namely Zelda and Kid Icarus.

To be honest, the singleplayer mode... hasn't aged very well, especially when compared with the NSMB games that followed. However, this game had two awesome multiplayer modes—me and my mate spent probably hundreds of hours playing Mario vs Luigi and the poker minigame when I was 7, 8, 9 years old, which was awesome.
When I was around 9 or 10 years old, I had some teenage cousins that I visited every so often. They both had really bad 07Scape addictions at the time, but they were forced to kinda engage with us sometimes when we were there, and one day I forced one of them to play their copy of SoulCalibur III with me bc of the cool box art. Later that year I was given that copy for either Christmas or my birthday and it was probably me+my sister's most played game for around a year following that.

Anyway, it's noteworthy bc it was my first ever fighting game, and I probably wouldn't have been as open to getting into traditional fighters had I never played it—in large part because I would've never bought SoulCalibur VI to play with RODAN when that came out. Not a whole lot else to say other than that I would leave my PS2 on overnight to advance through Chronicles of the Sword to unlock all of the special characters bc I had the Chronicles of the Sword file corruption glitch happen and as such couldn't create a save file for that mode. Awesome game outside of that haha—I actually prefer the character creation in this game to SCVI's despite (and largely because of) it being far more limited, and there is so much you can do in single-player mode that it could've probably kept me occupied for a lot more of my childhood if I'd not had other games to play.
This game had a big impact on me for all of the wrong reasons. For context, I had a teenage friend who was the brother of one of the people my sister met through her choir. He played a lot of Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Halo etc. on his X-Box 360, which I often played with him, but I often made him play stuff like Mariokart with me bc I was a massive Nintoddler, so he gave me a USB stick with Project 64 and some game roms on it so I could play some of the N64 games he'd grown up with.

In year 6, I spent an extortionate amount of time using cheat codes in Super Mario 64 on my barely-functional Windows XP. This was off of the back of playing Super Mario Galaxy legit, so it wasn't my first 3D platformer or anything like that, but I actually learned how to use Windows Movie Maker because of this (I wanted to make Super Mario 64 Bloopers vids when I was 10), which later sparked an interest in video editing. I now know how to use iMovie and plan on learning how to use proper professional software to run a YT channel or something (I've dabbled in this a bit already). My interest in video editing is what got me interested in graphic design too, so I'd probably not have any workable A-levels if not for this !!!
The remake was my first ever experience with Ocarina of Time, so it feels right to list it over the original. TL;DR of hide tag is that OoT is my all-time favorite video game, as unimaginative as I'm sure many Zelda elitists may think that is.

Around the time when I first played this, I was watching a lot of game discussion videos YouTube and reading mainstream game criticism in the one Nintendo magazine that I'd convinced my mum to buy a subscription for. Ocarina of Time was probably the most critically-acclaimed video game ever under both of these umbrellas at the time (and I'd argue that it still is), but my attempts at emulating it on my Windows XP hadn't been so good (largely because I was more interested in using moonjump codes than I was trying to actually play the game). As such, I was really excited to learn that it was being remade for a console that I owned. Playing Ocarina of Time is one of a small number of moments where I think a piece of media has completely changed me as a person, both in terms of the way I engaged with games going forward and with regards to how my thinking changed going forwards.

If I had to choose one game that I thought was more memorable than any other, at least to me, it would be this game 1000 times over. From its outstanding music to its large-but-not-annoyingly-large world, good dungeon design, and simplistic-but-impactful character writing (Saria was one of the first video game friendships that resonated with me). The overarching story is nuanced and complex to the point that even now I'm still noticing storytelling techniques that I never picked up on when I was younger.

The broader impact that this game has had on the way I think about video games and the world around me is a lot bigger than I can put into words; if I had to try and reduce it to one sentence, I'd say that it is the reason why I'm more of a "feeling" consumer and critic than a "thinking" one.* It's very hard to explain exactly why I love Ocarina of Time so much, and while lots of videos have done excellent jobs explaining why the writing is outstanding (this is a very good (albeit somewhat over-edited) video about the game that I watched yesterday, for example), it's just one of those things that I have sorta "felt" without needing any of the "why." It's rare for me to encounter a piece of media that I feel the same positivity every time I go back to it (and I go back to stuff a lot), but Ocarina of Time is exactly that for me. It is still just as impactful, effective, fun, and beautiful as it was when I played it for the first time almost a decade ago.

*That was a very weird sentence to type, as this is the opposite of my approach to competitive game discussion, where I instead base a lot of my opinions on my own very specific, rigid brand of logical thinking.
This shouldn't be surprising considering this is a Pokémon forum, but Pokémon has had a massive impact on me growing up. I got into the series very late, having almost no exposure until I believe year 8 (?) of school when my friend lent me his friend's copy of Pokémon HeartGold to play through, and so began my obsession. This game is still probably my favorite one, partly because of nostalgia and partly because it is one of three (imo) sensible candidates for best mons game anyway (the others are Platinum and BW/BW2).

Pokémon also then went on to become the first competitive game I'd ever played, and this was also arguably what saved me from myself in school. I didn't have many friends and was socially inept around anyone who wasn't either much older or much younger than me, and if you remember me from my first few years on the site, you'll probably also remember how awful of a user I was. These two largely tied into each other, and it was through this site that I developed a lot of my basic social skills that I needed to start befriending the people around me, and I feel like getting my posting-based ladybug badge in 2016 was probably where that peaked for me, and I used those skills to improve my life offline. Like Mario 64, it's another case where something I like a lot on its own merits has changed me in a very indirect sense, so I feel it's definitely worth mentioning here.
This is a kind of weird one to put on my list because I feel like this game has been very defining for me but I don't actually know why. Perhaps it's because of how much I love its unorthodox control scheme, which has in turn shaped what sorts of games I'm willing to give a shot that a lot of other people may be put off by, but then again I also love Skyward Sword's control scheme and I may have even played that before this. Whatever the reason, I feel it's worth mentioning as it is my second favorite video game ever. Just go and play it if you haven't already. It's outstanding.
When I ask people how they got into weebshit, usually they say Naruto, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, or something to that effect. For me though, it was actually this. I had a passing interest in anime just from seeing people's avatars on here, but I don't think I would've every actually made the dive into exploring Japanese culture outside of video games had I not downloaded the demo 2 days before release on a whim when browsing the 3DS e-shop. Vocaloid was my gateway drug, and that has really shaped the way that I have engaged with media since then. The game is damn fun too—I much prefer it to Project Diva despite the far smaller pool of songs to choose from because the rhythm segments are on rails and, as such, are far easier to follow.
This is the game that revived my love of 2D platformers, so it only feels right to include it on this list. It also changed the way I approach and look at video game stories. It's just one of those rare cases where you have a game so beautifully constructed in every way that you just keep thinking about it even in downtime.

On a gameplay level, Celeste is one of the most brilliantly designed games I've ever played. Movement is responsive and perfectly fine-tuned to be fun; the level design and respawn mechanics are outstanding across the board, allowing for the game to be very difficult without ever feeling frustrating even when you die hundreds of times (which will happen). The visual design, both of the characters+animations and the areas themselves, is exceptional, and the story is both told in a way that only video games can and executed on extremely well—its presentation and structure are nuanced, and each of the characters are very strong in their own rights.

Is this game as good as Ocarina of Time? No. This game is comes close to matching OoT's nuance with how it approaches its themes, but it lacks a lot of the beautiful storytelling complexity that makes Ocarina of Time really stand out among video games. But then again, maybe it doesn't need that—after all, the scope is totally different, and the balance of gameplay/writing focus is also very different. It is definitely deserving of the universal praise it receives and is easily a 10/10 game.
This is here for one reason and one reason alone: it was my gateway into the UK FGC, which I am now very deeply entrenched with. Not a whole lot else to say—I have lots of issues with Tekken 7 (which I am very vocal about) but I still keep playing it anyway because it's pretty fun and has a thriving local community.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
mosaic7626aa43d8bb6c1bef7307446db5248a385fede1.jpg

All of these games hold some memorable impact on me and have shaped who I am as a gamer. Only some of them are my favorite games of all time though.

Dark Cloud: I remember being a kid and visiting my grandparents in Georgia. They had a PS2 so I could occupy myself in their house and I ended up playing that game and playing until the first boss or so and absolutely loving the dungeon crawling sim city aspects of the game. It was a wild time. After I left their house I spent years vying for this game, I didnt even know what it was called or how to look it up to ask for it, eventually settling on asking my grandparents for their copy of it. They said it was broken but they ended up getting this and the sequel for me anyway somehow. This game shaped my childhood and remains a stark reminder of my grandparents for me.

Jak and Daxter: This was one of the first games I ever had as a kid. I remember playing it with my mother when we lived together in some apartment rental, I would sit in her lap and we would play, I would be awful but she would help me out. I remember being utterly terrified of the Forbidden Forest area, one of the first areas you can access, and thinking that the game was so huge. I vividly remember my mother and I beating the plant boss in the forest area and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. This game takes me back to a simpler time, when my mother was a single mom dealing with me. I remember getting the sequel from Blockbuster but never actually playing it at the time because the opening scene is a prison break and I was scared to death of all the sirens.

Pokemon Sapphire: No surprise there is a Pokemon game on here; I think but I don't know for sure that this was the first Pokemon game I ever had. I remember getting it on release as a kid, maybe like 8 or 9 years old, and my mom allowing me to stay up later than my bedtime to play it, and I think I ended up getting to rescuing Peeko. This was my first foray into the Pokemon games, I ended up getting Firered and Emerald later, and eventually played through the DS games and so on. The memories of first playing through Sapphire, playing through Pokemon Pinball, really stick with me. I think most everyone will remember their first Pokemon game.

Paper Mario: I remember getting this game from Blockbuster and renting it for a bit, eventually playing it until I got to the desert area. It really stuck with me and the whimsical nature of the game I found amazing, it really opened myself to RPG games. This definitely wasn't one of my favorite games but I do have to put it in this mosaic due to the memories I have of playing it.

Metroid Prime: I first got this game whenever the Gamecube came out. I never really knew my dad, he was a piece of shit. When I was like 7 or 8 though (age might be off) for my birthday or for Christmas one year he tried to buy my love by getting me a Gamecube bundle with this game in it. I remember playing it as a kid and being utterly terrified of it. The atmosphere was creepy, the music was ominous, the tutorial with the space pirates was scary to me. I later played it as a young adult / preteen and was blown away. I remember being stuck and not knowing where to go after I got the Boost ball and the hint system wasn't helping, I remember fighting Flaagra the first time, getting stuck on the Elite Pirate like everyone else. This might be one of my favorite games of all time, I remember thinking that the graphics were breathtaking, the data collecting and scan log was such a cool mechanic. This game definitely shaped my preferences.

Portal 2: I remember when I first got a PS3 that I convinced my family to get this game, saying it was a cool puzzle game. I remember thinking it was insanely boring later on and eventually we returned the game. Years later I actually went through and played this game on the computer and was blown away. I still would regularly play through Portal 2, the mechanics of it were outstanding. I don't really have much to say about this but this is definitely one game that I wish I could just delete memories of so I could replay it, I don't have any nostalgia for it though.

Sekiro: Man when this game came out I bought it on release I was so hyped. I played it for just a little bit and then gave up, I just couldn't beat some of the bosses (Gyoubu). I put the game away for almost 7 months. Then one day I went to visit my old high school friend and we had a gaming night where we just stayed up and played. Somehow something just "clicked" fighting one of the bosses, and I went home and repicked up the game. What followed was probably the best gaming experience I've ever had in my life. I eventually platinum'd the game but I wish I could go back to when I was garbage at the game to relive it, similar to Portal 2. The progression from being dumpstered by regular enemies to being no hit on a charmless run is insane to witness. Just recently I went over to my friend's house during this quarantine and he had sekiro. I felt bad bc I mindlessly played the game and beat the final boss on Shura ending in the span of an hour, disrupting this dude's playthrough (he didn't give a shit though). I definitely enjoyed this game the most out of all Fromsoft games.

Hollow Knight: This game was recommended to me when it came out and only 2 years later did I actually play it. At first I pirated it on my computer, then a year later when I beat the game I bought the thing on my PS4 and beat it again. This is the only game to make me purchase it after I have already beaten it, as this was the first I just felt scummy not paying for it. It is that worth it. Recently I was playing through it again trying to be teh Gods of Hallownest DLC. I can get to the final pantheon around 20 bosses in but then cannot progress past that. Maybe one day I will revisit the game and try to platinum it on my ps4. I am anxiously awaiting Silksong's release and that will be another game I buy instantly.

Skyrim: I remember in 2012 I was a HS Sophmore and all my friends talked up Skyrim about how they were so eager to play it. When I got a ps3, I convinced my dad to get Skyrim in the same day we got Portal. I went home and had a fucking blast playing it, getting until the burial keep main story quest. The magic I felt when I first played this game was supreme, I have rarely experienced anything like it. Years later it still holds up with mods and such, but after doing almost every quest in the game the magic has been lost. I don't think I could ever revisit the game, but the impact it had on me was great

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1585766206967.png

Pokemon Diamond/ all of Pokemon:
Look, everybody on this website has got to have Pokemon on here somewhere. I put mine in the middle because it defines me SO much. Pokemon red was the first game I ever saw played when I was 4 years old. It was the first game I owned for real when I bought a game boy. I was the "Pokemon kid" all through elementary school; I scraped together social standing out of knowing how to catch the regis and solving ruins of alph puzzles. Diamond is the game I put here because it's the game that launched me into the online pokemon community. I tried to collect everything, I battled on wi-fi, I analyzed every Pokemon on my teams, I traded with my childhood friend who moved away, I played battle revolution with my EV trained pokemon, I watched competitive youtubers, I did EVERYTHING.

Now for the rest
This is my first platforming game, and my first mario game. I just saw somebody playing this on their game boy and thought WHOA, this looks really fun! So I saved up and bought it and was totally hooked. I was obsessed with platforming games like this after SMW, I bought the strategy guide and would read it over and over and over, not just for tips but for its reading value. I would route my way through the game and replay it again and again, and finally I trained myself to be good enough to get all dragon coins and beat all levels (take that Outrageous!)
Like so much here, I saw this game being played by somebody else and had to have it. This transformed me into a lifelong AW fan, although the third game Dual Strike has my most playtime (350 hours of powered on time, and I think that's impressive for an underground DS game. Man, the original DS has bad ergonomics for an adult. But it still had a charge after 6 years of no use!). I'm not really a "fan" of strategy games actually, as I have found I really dislike thinking too hard in games. But this game has such amazing music, such amazing design, I quote it all the time with my friends.
My first metroid game, and the first of a series that I would really call myself a "fan" of. I sort of...knew that I would be a metroid fan when I bought this, because I had heard so much about them reading Nintendo Power, but I had no experience until playing it. It's not the best metroid game to start playing but it actually is my first FPS game of all time. Weird to think about it like that. I was a total scrouge on wi-fi (at least in my head), running around with broken sylux beating up other 10 year olds who could only play FPS games on a nintendo DS. The metroid series has a lot of great games that I would call my favorites but this one is the one that kickstarted this.
One of the first games I ever bought for PC, I had known this game was a good one for a few years before I got to play it. This was my first hellishly difficult indie game I ever played, and this has probably become my favorite genre. Hotline Miami, Ink, Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, they bleed pixels, binding of issac, everything that grinds your soul out through death. I love a challenge and I have come back to this game in 5 stints to get a little more achievements every time. I think this is the game that gave me a love of achievement hunting, lol
Man, this game series has given me so much. In freshman year of college, my weird roomate tossed me a USB drive, told me to plug it in, and run borderlands.exe (obviously pirated). He distributed it to all of us in the dorm and we started looping playthroughs again and again. This was 2 months before borderlands 2 came out, which me and the roommate I was much better friends with played through about 20 different times. This game sucked so many hours from me, and so many hours outside of the game in planning builds, discussing guns, researching mechancis, everything. I still play it with that guy almost 10 years after it came out
This was originally going to be TF2 but then I remembered, I played an online team shooter BEFORE TF2. I got introduced to this through the pokemon youtuber gigatitan and eventually started it up myself, realizing that my college laptop could handle it. I would actually get into debates with my friend defending this game as better than TF2 and tried to get him to play it with me. Well, eventually I switched to TF2, a game that still has my max playtime on steam after not being touched for 6 years. This community was everything to me in college, and it also led to my obsessions with overwatch and CSGO. So TF2 was the life changing game but BFH led to that in the first place!
I begged my parents to let me buy this at the age of 14 (I had seen the matrix and kill bill at that point, so what else was I gonna learn from an M rated game?) and they eventually let me. Funny, since all I was going on was the recommendation of Nintendo Power. The game kicks ass and it is again something I replayed so many times as a kid. I didn't think that anybody else played this game when I was active in it, until I joined smogon and found people that are huge fans of indie/weird/cult games like this. These hack and slash/cult games have become another passion of mine.
I only played this game twice, but I also sat next to my college roommate playing it twice as well. The narrative in this game really is the best of anything on my list, and since the question was "what game has shaped your world view", this has to be on there. There is so much philisophically that I get from this game it's weird. The Geth ideas of government (unique viewpoints building a consensus on issues) shaped my personal philosophy into how I discuss politics and things like that with my family and friends. This game is more symbolic than the action for my list, since I love just thinking about the game instead of actual playing it.

Last edited:

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
So, I finished my first playthrough of Resident Evil 3, and I thought it was pretty great game. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the $60 price tag. Here's what I think of it:
Pros:
  • Characters: The way the characters interacted with each other I felt was so much better than Resident Evil 2. The synergy and relationship between Jill and Carlos I found to be really enjoyable, something I wish Leon and Claire had. Additionally, I felt that Jill and Carlos had much more personality than Leon and Claire did. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Leon's and Claire's character, it's just that Jill and Carlos felt more...human? I don't know, the way they talked especially felt more fluid.
  • Scenery: For a game with an incredible amount of gore, Resident Evil 3 was a very beautiful game. The fact that I could literally see the blackheads on the characters in scenes honestly impressed me. I really wish there was a photo mode.
  • Nemesis: Nemesis was genuinely terrifying to run from. Whoever designed his AI definitely wanted you to shit yourself trying to stay alive from him. They're other things I'd like to say about him, but I'd probably be reaching spoiler territory.
Cons:
  • Replayability: Unlike Resident Evil 2, there isn't much motivating me to play through Resident Evil 3 again other than to complete the harder modes. It's not because it felt bad to play through, it just feels like something that you wouldn't play again. The fact that the game felt pretty linear at sometimes also probably contributed to this
  • Length: Some people saw this as a big flaw to the game, but I wasn't bothered by it much. Regardless, after hearing what was cut from the original game, I couldn't help but think about enjoying the game more had there been more content.
  • Nemesis: Nemesis, while a great reason why the game is good, definitely had some wasted potential. Simply put, the scariest part of him, akin to Mr. X in Resident Evil 2, didn't have as much screentime as I wished for him to have. I would go into reasoning why he didn't, but again, spoilers.
  • Resident Evil: Resistance: Not really a downside to Resident Evil 3, since it's a separate game, but it did come with the game regardless. I was pretty hyped for a multiplayer game like this, but unfortunately it's an incredibly game. Specifically, the Mastermind felt incredibly overpowered versus the Survivors, especially if they lack even the slightest amount of teamwork. I would comment on that more, but the queue times are so long for a newly released game I've barely played any matches. It seems that they're dedicated to balancing and adding new content to the game, though, so I'm not giving up on hope yet.
Overall, I'd give Resident Evil 3 an 8/10. It's not really worth the price tag, so I'd wait for a sale to show up soon unless you've been waiting for this game forever or you're down to pay $60 for a great game to play and complete in an all-nighter.

I could be arsed to do it, but I could not be arsed to make an even grid.

Yoshi's Island was like this legendary thing to me when I was a kid. I didn't own it, I only played it a couple times. It became something I wanted like, my whole childhood. I finally bought it as an almost adult off Ebay when I dug my old SNES out of the garage and played the whole thing just because I could haha. It'll always have a place in my memory.

Diablo was a formative game growing up as I still, almost 20 years after first playing it, am always seeking something to scratch my Diablo itch. Unlike most players of games like Diablo, Path of Exile, etc... I'm not in it for the loot grind. There was just something about the way the first Diablo made me feel that even the second didn't really capture. I'm always trying to find that feeling in a game. The setting is kind of generic now, but as a kid it affected me quite deeply.

Everquest was kinda my first big boy gaming experience.... And of course I started playing it when I was 8. Both of my parents played it and so I picked it up too. It was kinda strange being an 8 year old in that environment. This game shaped how I view all games though, as I played it regularly from the age of 8 to 18. The visuals aren't stunning, the gameplay is horribly dated, the game was punishingly difficult... And I loved it. It's another one of those rare games that made me feel something different. It was a wholly immersive experience. The lack of modern gaming's hand-holding made you highly community dependent and the world was completely open (WITH NO MAPS! At least at first) so everything was like a new discovery. I would just explore for hours and hours. I remember discovering a secret entrance to some expansive sewers under my home city as a kid and thinking I must have been the only person who had ever found them. This also has a lot to do with why I'm not an MMO player today. Modern MMO's are legitimately a terrible genre for someone spoiled by the experience of one of the originals.

A Link to the Past was my first Zelda game and it remains my favorite to this day. It's one of my favorite series still, but I sincerely hope Breath of the Wild was a one off and goes away now. That was a great game from a series I've never played before. Don't want to play it again, thanks.

Dragon Age: Origins was where I discovered my love for this particular brand of RPG. It was a toss up between this and Neverwinter Nights as I played Neverwinter Nights first and probably for more years of my life, but Dragon Age was a more formative experience. This is another game that has me longing to feel what it made me feel again... The sequels almost did it, but the series has started to feel a little empty.

Mortal Kombat... The whole series, but specifically Deception because that's the first one I played when I was older and actual able to learn the game to an extent. Plus I've been a Mileena fanboy since I was five years old and that game had her at her best.

Legend of Dragoon is just an old favorite, nothing too much to say about it, but I would love a remake... Maybe with some slight story/art direction adjustments.

Donkey Kong Country was the game my sister and I played together for basically my entire life. We still, even her being in her thirties with kids and me having been on my own for quite a while now, we play it together every few years. Because of this game she and I have always been able to pick up any multiplayer game and just own it together. Gaming partner for life.

Final Fantasy X was my first Final Fantasy and the only one I truly love. When I was 10 they bought my my own PS2 and FFX was the game I'd been begging for. I even bought the strategy guide before I had the game (like... months) just so I could read about it. I followed it online and all this shit just because the trailers on tv looked so cool. As of today, seventeen years later, I'm replaying the game once again on PC. I never get tired of it. Plus, it has one of the best soundtracks of any game ever. It might be melodramatic, but "To Zanarkand" is timeless.

I don't buy much, but was looking for sales today and spotted Toki Tori 2+ from the Switch eshop with 90% off/~$2. It's a neat cute puzzle game that is deceptively simple and difficult, despite its appearance. The player/bird is right out of a gameboy game, controlling slowly with only 2* moves (chirp and stomp), but the world is more like a very open flash game. The game is all about interacting with your environment and experimenting, putting you on the spot right from the start. I was pretty satisfied with the short time I played, and by the map there seems to be a lot more to do.

There's a 1 hour demo available that transfers its save to the full version. After playing for a bit, I picked up Toki Tori 1 and RIVE by the same developer (Two Tribes) with the same deal for about $5 in total. They seem interesting and I'll make a fuller post if I finish them. Also considering Baba is You/Hollow Knight.

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
It's been a while since I've posted here but I've been Gaming up a storm, just putting off dropping my reviews here lol. Well, the backlog isn't getting any shorter, so here goes:

Valkyria Chronicles: basically just repost my vc4 pitch with less enthusiastic adjectives, because it's the same game but a little worse. It's honestly kind of hard to go backward from VC4, but if I talk about all the ways VC4 improved on the formula, it will just serve to make VC sound bad, so let me be clear: it's still good! Even without the bells and whistles, the core tactics game innovation of command points keeps it fresh. Surprisingly I thought VC's story was more lacking than its gameplay. While I liked the characters, the moment-to-moment dialogue writing was pretty stilted, which hurt my immersion. I really don't have much to say here; if you loved VC4, you'll like VC.

Half-Life + 2 + 2e1 + 2e2: Now that I have just built myself a PC, I can finally play all of the classics that I never got to enjoy when I survived on a Mac laptop. Of course I started with Half-Life.

The original Half-Life can be frustrating to play, especially in the latter half, without quicksave scumming. That's not necessarily the same as being hard. The main issue is that the resource placement can be super unfriendly. Health restoration is rare in general, and not guaranteed near autosave points, and there are particularly few restock points that allow you to really reset damage to your resources--by few, I mean exactly one. This means that minor mistakes here and there can accumulate to nearly unwinnable situations, where a carelessly taken grenade (that you did survive!) can mean the death of you five chapters later because you never got to heal off that damage in the interim. And as far as I can tell, there are a handful of areas in the game that require you to take environmental damage, so you can actually brick your save if you aren't careful. (The game does maintain two autosaves, at least, and I never found that both were bricked, but it's certainly possible if you're unluckier than I am: I'm thinking of one bit in Blast Pit in particular, but there may be others). So the way I ended up playing the game a lot of the time was saving before every encounter and reloading until I had got it nearly perfect, like I was playing Hotline Miami or Katana Zero, despite the fact that I ostensibly had an HP bar, just to make sure I wasn't fucking myself over down the line. (This was all compounded by the fact that I am a twitchy right-clicker, which will basically auto-kill you if you have the SMG equipped [and you usually do], but that one is entirely my fault).

However, that's my main gripe with what I otherwise think is a good game. The level design in particular is excellent; every area is memorable, probably aided by the fact that I replayed most of em a bunch of times as described above, and they have some pretty creative setpieces. While the overarching story is simplistic (there are no named NPCs) and really just serves to set the stage for HL2, some of the vignettes can be quite engrossing. In terms of gameplay, the resource management on weapons is much better balanced than on health. Explosives are extremely satisfying to use and by far your best combat tool, but they're hard to come by. You'll have enough ammo between your main weapon rotation (SMG / crossbow / magnum) that you will never run out of all of them, but you'll have little enough that you are forced to use them all, supplementing the shotgun against weak enemies that are one-shot. Enemies have high HP, and ammo drops are well spaced, so Half-Life has that important and exciting feeling of really needing to know when to turn to your Oh shit! damage buttons.

HL2 swings the difficulty pendulum suuuper far in the other direction. This game is a joke. HL2 wisely made the hitscan enemies die in a single point-blank shotgun blast. Unfortunately that's all there is. You face almost nothing but generic soldiers (called Combine troops) in the first map and you face almost nothing but Combine all the way through to the last map. There are some nonthreatening melee enemies that also die in a single shotgun blast, and some boss fights, but that's about it. The troops are stupid as hell too. You can solve 60% of combats by just crouching next to a doorway and waiting for 5 or 6 Combine to walk through single file and get blasted in the face by a shotgun. The other 40%, since you're always so loaded on health and armor, you can solve by doing a suicidal charge across no-man's-land and blasting the Combine in the face with a shotgun. If your shotgun is starting to run low on ammo, don't worry because that's usually right about when you get a full refill on shotgun ammo.

While the story of HL2 was theoretically a lot more involved, I think it kind of failed to leave an impression on me because the game was so easy. Every level, I expected some grand setpiece finale, and when the next chapter title appeared on the screen I asked myself "was that it?" It might be unfair to have expected so much spectacle from a 2004 game, but I think what was there would have been sufficient if it got my heart pumping! The writing was charming and the scenery was beautiful, but there's just such a disconnect when you breeze right through everything. I complained about the easy difficulty, but it's honestly super fun to play in a real power-fantasy kind of way. The only reason the difficulty really hinders the overall experience is the effect on immersion.

About the only difficult thing in the game is driving a fucking car, because the vehicle mechanics were programmed by a fucking ape. The controls were slathered in goop so you crash into things often. Then you have to reverse out, and that's when you really run into your final nemesis. Left and right are flipped in reverse, like a real car, which kind of makes sense. But they flip based on whether your velocity is positive or negative--NOT whether you are holding W or S. So when you switch from forward to reverse and back again, your steering wheel will change polarities at some truly unpredictable point (since the acceleration mechanics are equally inscrutable). I probably took the majority of damage I sustained all game while reversing out of a collision, and there are only two vehicle chapters. You can just get out of the car and blast it with the gravity gun once you've obtained this, but that's also a decent way to get pumped full of lead.

The episodes are where I feel like this series really hit its stride. They finally get the difficulty right, and there is a little less driving. Some meatier non-hitscan enemies are introduced and the level design makes much more use of open space, where the shotgun camping strategy is less effective (though there's honestly still a good bit of camping, particularly in e1). However the single biggest change was in the length of the firefights. The episodes have some really extended combat sequences that ask you to take out waves of enemies while defending a point stocked with limited resupply: the elevator and train depot in e1, the cave, mountain villa, and strider battle in e2. And these are consistently excellent. The writing has always been good, as I said, but with the higher gameplay intensity comes the story investment that I was always hoping for in Half-Life. And then they iced the series for 13 years and came out with a thousand dollar prequel. Oh well... the whole series is good, but hl2e2 is pretty close to a masterpiece and I do highly recommend the entire series just to experience that.

I also played Portal + 2 but I'll do a separate post later because this is already long as fuck

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah we've really come a long way since 2004, now that the 1 enemy in all of our shooter games are always bullet sponges.

HL2 was and still is exciting not because everything needs to be "the Dark Souls of genre", but because it was one of the first setpiece heavy video games, and still one of the only ones that never steals the video game from the player in the process. Whatever is happening, whether it's a an exciting action event or a dialogue sequence, the player always has control and the same controls. It is always a video game and never a movie, something that was a very deliberate part of the design ideology (and sadly feels like it has been lost in the industry). HL2 is hella simple, and it probably shouldn't still be so refreshing, but it is and that probably speaks more about the current industry than the game's own brilliance.

If you haven't played through Episode 1 and 2 with the designer commentary, I would do so. They are massively insightful and I miss the short moment in gaming when devs were doing this.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hackers Memory

OK so I just finished this. I don't finish games very often these days but this one grabbed me until the end. This game is actually a sequel which I didn't realize until I bought it. Thankfully you don't really need much knowledge of the first to enjoy it.

The main gameplay is turn based combat based around a pretty basic type chart. You have your virus digimon, your vaccine digimon etc. The game is ultimately pretty easy, I never really struggled with a fight (except one of the later bosses). The big appeal of this game is the digimon, you scan digimon data by fighting them in the wild which you can then use to create the digimon yourself. From there the world is your oyster, each digimon can digivolve into 3-6 digimon usually, which makes optimization really difficult. You get a lot by actually dedigivolving your digimon, because certain evolutions can only come if you've fucked around with a digimon enough. Each time you dedigivolve or digivolve you get ABI which certain digimon have digivolutuiion thresholds linked to this.

You do a lot of persona style downtime missions. Helping people out with their problems etc. Theres a shit ton of side content to fuck around with.

The story itself is frankly pretty fucking stupid. Its extremely anime and it does that thing where it keeps ramping up until the scale is so ridiculous that a lot of the charm kind of goes away.

A lot of the bosses have extremely high stats which makes it pretty annoying to chip down their HP. Penetrating moves are frankly, extremely broken in this game because it nullifies all of your opponents stats pretty much futile.

Game took me around 53 hours total to complete.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Trials of Mana

It fucking rocks. Playing it nonstop since release. Already beat the game once and im doing a second playthrough now. Combat is really simple, if you've played kingdom hearts or a tales games you should know what youre getting in to. Most of the strategy comes from training your characters with specific classes and upgrades that is unique to them.

Plots generic as hell, its very SNES style. Save the world from a dark lord type shit. This game feels like a PS2 game and I mean that with the highest praise. Its presented simply, doesnt try to be too overly ambitious but focuses on really tight gameplay.

The english voice acting is horrendous. Play with japanese audio

9/10

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Trials of Mana

It fucking rocks. Playing it nonstop since release. Already beat the game once and im doing a second playthrough now. Combat is really simple, if you've played kingdom hearts or a tales games you should know what youre getting in to. Most of the strategy comes from training your characters with specific classes and upgrades that is unique to them.

Plots generic as hell, its very SNES style. Save the world from a dark lord type shit. This game feels like a PS2 game and I mean that with the highest praise. Its presented simply, doesnt try to be too overly ambitious but focuses on really tight gameplay.

The english voice acting is horrendous. Play with japanese audio

9/10

I have played this game too, it was very fun overall. The combat system is smooth, there's 6 characters to choose from and each of them has 4 different classes so you can customize your party as much as you want. That's pretty nice as there's 3 different storylines depending on the main character you pick. The characters all look cute/cool which is a plus.

A word of caution, this game is quite easy. There's only two or three challenging fights in the game, and if you play in NG+ the game becomes trivial. A Nightmare mode would have been welcome, especially for NG+ playthroughs which you're supposed to play if you want to explore every storyline.

It's also important to note that while this is almost a full remake (graphics are 3D and completely new, and there's improvements to the combat system), lots of things are very faithful to the original SNES game... which means that the story is cheesy and dungeons have a simple layout.

Overall a pretty good game but do keep those things in mind.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Superhot is quite fun but its main campaign is a serious drag due to the shoehorned in meta story. I much more recommend the vr edition as well bc being able to peek and just generally control ur movements and time flow better feels more cathartic there. Where superhot pc starts to really take off though is in challenges. You play through the 25 or so main levels but w various modifiers that force you to chart different paths through the game levels and adopt different strategies. This hits a sweet spot midway through thr challenge packs where you feel yourself starting to get a cozy familarity with both the more advanced mechanics of the game (like headstomping or hitbox management) as well as the spawns and flow of each level. This progression does get a bit more awkward with the impossible / hard mode challenges because they're almost made toothless by the aforementioned knowledge gain and don't require much finesse to complete. Speedrun on the other hand changes it up nicely.
(Note that there is a speedeunrt mode that has time tick down even as you dont move but this mode is impossible for me to complete due to lag on my computer. It seems very fun and interesting though so if u have the specs definitely consider it)

Definitely would have been nice to have some more varied and interesting challenges that altered mechanics more significantly though. Maybe like a challenge that forces you to hotswitch every couple seconds to prevent death, or perhaps something involving headstomping. Just spitballing.

Alongside the arcadey/puzzle goodness of the challenges there are endless maps. I didn't find these as enjoyable simply bc it uaually just ends with you camping in a spot surrounded by weapons but unable to move out of your position due to the flood of enemies. The joy of superhot to me comes from the problem solving aspect and less about the moment to moment flex factor (tho thats definitely something endless is trying to capitalize on). Ultimately tho i didnt give the endless mode much time so i cant speak to how fun it really is.

Finally there are also collectible secrets in every main campaign stage that usually involve platforming """out of bounds""". Pretty fun but most are either incredibly frustrating to get or a bit too simple...

Overall though superhot's pretty fun. It definitely gives a kind of rush watching the normal speed replays after each clear as you strafe and stomp on enemy's heads with ease while surrounded by gunfire. But don't expect a ton of polish..and it definitely drags at times--the amount of time the main campaign wastes trying to get you invested in its story is pretty annoying. Aside from this asterisk tho id say its accessible and fun--solidly recommend.

Also if you are a fan of ace Attorney or prof. Layton definitely check out tangle tower. Short but sweet game whose presentation and writing are top tier. Flew under the radar real hard but deserves way more attention

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been streaming a lot more since lockdown started, and I've managed to finish 3 games on stream so far!

Sonic and the Secret Rings:
I've never had my nostalgia so thoroughly wrecked as it was when I replayed this game. It came out 4 months after the release of the Wii and it shows - Motion Plus probably wouldn't have saved the game, but its controls are maddeningly inaccurate at the worst of times, and as a result basic movement feels like a constant chore. The storybook plot doesn't help it much, either; Sonic's friends are stand-ins for characters in the Arabian Nights, and then promptly do nothing. Eggman, Tails and Knuckles are the only ones of his friends who appear and their involvement is incredibly limited. I can't help but think that they hesitated to do more with an extended cast after the failures of 06, being the last home console release the year before. The plot moves confusingly, and there's a half-betrayal at the end with nothing to precede it that's not elaborated on at all. It manages to keep an extremely Sonic level of Ham & Cheese, but the charm is made much less because he's accompanied solely by his genie companion throughout.

Secret Rings also has a fully fleshed out attached party mode with it for no immediately obvious reason. The games are fun, but the controls suffer from the same inaccuracies of the main game. The party mode is also the only mode where you can play as other characters - the entirety of Team Sonic, Amy, Cream, Silver, Blaze and Shadow. The game is eight-ish hours long, but I recall coming back to it many times as a child because I enjoyed the party mode. Being a child with narrow experience of other games is a hell of a thing.

The music also still slaps. There isn't a single song that doesn't hit in this game.

I would not play this again, but the nostalgia's still there.

Sonic and the Black Knight:
I never played this one, and it's immediately obvious why this is the more favoured of the storybook games. The art style is crisp, the controls are smooth, and the typical Sonic hammy plot is given straight from the getgo - this game managed to leave an impression on me in the intro cutscene in a way Secret Rings didn't for the whole 8 or 9 hours I spent playing it. The extended cast involved here is limited to Amy, Shadow, Blaze and Knuckles, with the latter three playable along with Sonic himself - and they all play in unique ways. The plot is similarly muddled to Secret Rings, however, and it's almost criminally short - the main game takes three hours to beat. They really pushed the limits of "short and sweet" in this, but I still came out of the game satisfied and having enjoyed the experience.

The music does not bang as much as Secret Rings does. I don't think Sega is ever going to top that.

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe:
I've beaten the main story + the beginner stages without continues, and I'm continuing to play the advanced stages. I'd never played the game before playing it this year, and I'm really enjoying it! The story mode is really fun, the plot is the expected level of fun and cheesy I expected out of it from the start, and the game manages to infuriate me half the time I play it because I'm not particularly good at video games. I really recommend giving this a go!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mario Maker has probably single-handedly sabotaged vanilla 2D Mario's prospects for the next several decades. Like seriously, if they ever even make another one how are they going to top MM2's sheer amount of features and player-generated content? Just keep in mind the last original non-Mario Maker mainline 2D game was New Super Mario Bros U which came out 8 years ago.
The post I'm responding to is technically from another thread, but it's also a neat discussion point so I'm gonna run with it.

I think a big part of why Nintendo are leaving 2D Mario at the wayside is because you can't really iterate on it any more. The way that you introduce mechanics in 2D Mario is by adding more power-ups, but realistically there aren't a whole lot of ways they can introduce new power-ups from here. Just look at the power-ups that we've gotten in the NSMB games: we have bigger Mario, smaller Mario, Mario wearing a koopa shell, fire flower re-skin, better fire flower re-skin, funnier fire flower re-skin, spin to fly, tanuki/cape fusion and reskin of tanuki/cape fusion. Sure, there are some actually pretty neat introductions* there, but you can tell they've mostly exhausted the range of power-ups you can introduce without beginning to introduce a power-up based win condition.

*By some I mean just Koopa and Propeller—the former was just a cool way of changing game flow and the latter is about as close as you can reasonably get to adding exploration in a linear Mario-school platformer without being obnoxious like the Mini Mushroom is.

Other than the wealth of user-created content, the big advantage that Mario Maker has over traditional Mario games is that there's a lot more room to build levels that necessitate the use of a power up to complete the level, which in turn increases the scope of viable power up designs—adding a portal gun power up, for example, would no longer be game breaking because you no longer need to design levels that can be completed without one. It's also why the Builder, Link and Superball power-ups can exist in Mario Maker but not traditional Mario—there's increased scope to do power-up showcase levels, and you have more wiggle room to accomodate levels that are designed in a "you don't win if you lose the power up" sorta way.

Beyond power-ups, there just aren't a whole lot of ways you can iterate on the basic, non-power-up gameplay in 2D without drastically altering the franchise's identity (that identity being the exploration of jumping as a versatile verb). While SMB3 did prove that you can you can technically introduce mechanics that don't totally detract from the Mario style of platformer (P metre), one of the big advantages of making the game 3D is that you have a lot more ways to actually start building a game around a mechanic without breaking the act of platforming—it's no surprise that all of the "main" 3D Mario games after 64 (i.e. the ones that aren't just pale imitations of 2D Mario games) are all built around one or two core mechanics that are integral to the design of every single area in the game (Sunshine = FLUDD; Galaxy = gravity+spin; Odyssey = Cappy)—3D spaces encourage exploration, which singlehandedly increases the scope to which you can explore more interesting types of mechanics, and in the case of a game like Galaxy which has largely linear level design there is a lot more room to build areas/levels around navigating with a single power-up.

Realistically I expect they'll probably just keep iterating on the 3D Mario formula. We're getting Super Mario All Stars 2 p. soon (64+Sunshine+Galaxy—maybe Galaxy 2 or 3D Land/World too? I'm not sure), which is gonna be fun. After that I expect they'll come up with a new game that has its own flagship mechanic, and if Odyssey is anything to go by, there are still a lot of ways you can expand the scope of navigating a 3D space without sacrificing that sweet Mario feeling. 3D Mario will be used to showcase new ways to play, and 2D will be much more down-to-earth, "solid platformer" fare that just aims to produce a good game that executes well on a tried-and-true formula. I wouldn't mind seeing something that expands on the difficulty design of Mario 3, or which takes the engine which is similarly versatile to that of Mario World to build interesting levels which force players to take advantage of the different facets of jumping, but realistically I don't expect them to be hugely innovative with it going forward.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Beat a bunch of games while stuck in quarantine. Don't have the energy to review all of them, maybe I will eventually, but I'll just focus on one of them...

1588824512237.png

Ninja Gaiden
Year: 1989
System: NES, has a bunch of re-releases (I played it on Switch Online's NES collection)
Completion Notes: Beat it normally (no save states and no rewinding obviously)

Let's burn some bridges shall we? Or not, I don't think as many people here are big into retro games or this game in particular. Which is good, because while I did enjoy Link to the Past despite not thinking it's all that great, I don't know if I can say the same about Ninja Gaiden.

1588824461967.png

Ninja Gaiden is known for a few things: It's one of the only well-known NES games to have a meaningful story (told through cutscenes no less), it has fast and tight acrobatic gameplay, and, most importantly, it's infamously difficult. Let's tackle the story first. It's...not good. It's really not. I can give Tecmo credit for making nice-looking cutscenes in between levels, decent story-gameplay integration (i.e. a lot of level environments are based on the events of cutscenes), and even daring to attempt all that in a mere 256 KB NES action game, but the story itself is just not what makes the game worthwhile. The premise is decent enough, our hero Ryu gets a note from his dad that he just fought in a duel, and that if he doesn't come home, Ryu's to go out to America to find his father's friend. The problem mainly lies with the story progression being way too fast and shallow for its own good. None of the characters are interesting, the writing and worldbuilding are nothing special, and the romance between Ryu and Irene is horribly shoehorned right at the end, considering Irene is a non-factor for half the game. It also doesn't help that this stupid ass sound effect plays literally any time anything "important" happens in the story, be it something getting stolen, a character getting killed, or Ryu making a quick discovery; it gets old, super unfitting, and just plain silly. While I can kinda entertain the argument of "this game's story was pretty good given its tech", and I can't think of any games before Ninja Gaiden that had so many dynamic cutscenes, fact is it's not a good story. In fact, I can't even call Ninja Gaiden's story ground-breaking; Snatcher (A Hideo Kojima Game™) released about 2 weeks before Ninja Gaiden in Japan, and not only is its narrative LEAGUES better, but it even holds up okay by modern VN/Adventure game standards if I'm being honest (if you need a reference point, I'd rate it higher than Ace Attorney Investigations but under Ghost Trick and PW:AA). You can't even dare call Ninja Gaiden the best story on the NES when Metal Slader Glory exists.

Ninja Gaiden (U)_004.png

Graphically, Ninja Gaiden is pretty solid for an NES game, but does nothing particularly stand-out; the aforementioned environments and cutscenes are definitely the best aspects. Musically, however, the game fares a little better. Out of all of those "iconic" NES tunes (Vampire Killer, Wily Stage 1/2, Ducktales Moon, etc.), I think Act 4-2 (Unbreakable Determination) is not only my favorite of that bunch but straight-up a contender for my favorite song on the NES. It does a fantastic job pumping you up between the iconic melody, the perfectly complementing harmony, and the driving percussion (those sampled drum hits are so good!). And I LOOOOVE that drop around the 15 second mark. It's a bit of shame, albeit not too surprising, that no other song can even come close to matching it, but at least the rest of the OST is good, with Act 1-1, Act 2-2, and most notably Act 5-3 being some of the better tracks.

Ninja Gaiden (U)_007.png

As for the actual gameplay, I can start by saying the game controls really tightly; moving feels smooth, as does your jumping, and your sword comes out fast. You can also cling to walls and jump off them, which can add a little more variety to the platforming. This all sounds good on paper...but as you progress further into the game, the issues with Ninja Gaiden's gameplay become more and more apparent. See, the one thing everyone knows Ninja Gaiden for is it being really hard; I can attest to that to some extent, it's probably the hardest game I've beaten so far. But would I call it one of the hardest games on the NES or of all-time? I don't think so to be honest; like pretty much any aspect of a game, difficulty is subjective, and especially considering that Ninja Gaiden has infinite continues and (usually) reasonable checkpoints among other things I'll discuss, I think it's surprisingly more manageable than you would think. It's certainly nowhere near as ruthless as Ghosts n Goblins or Contra, or even "beautifully impossible" like Recca, in fact the first few stages are honestly not hard at all by NES standards. It's around Stage 3-2 where Ninja Gaiden becomes more annoying than challenging.

1588826300517.png

Playing Ninja Gaiden is kinda like Eric Andre's Ninja Rap Warrior, or Filthy Frank's Gentleman's Guide, or any other similar video where people trying to get from Point A to Point B but they're getting random shit hurled at them the whole time. Enemies in Ninja Gaiden sometimes feel like they're placed haphazardly solely to screw you over, occasionally spawning as you're trying to jump over a pit. The thing is though, killing enemies is also really annoying; because your sword range is a little short and only moves forwards rather than having a sweeping hitbox like most video game swords, you'll often find yourself whiffing against enemies when using it (There are subweapons, but they're not always that helpful, and that's assuming you have one with ammo to begin with). On top of that, enemies often respawn if you move the screen even slightly, which is especially annoying when dealing with enemies huddling on small platforms. Thus, you'll often find yourself just saying "fuck it" and brute forcing your way through enemies simply because a lot of them only deal 1-2 damage on contact (you have 16 health), so what's even the point in fighting half of them if you can just tank the hits and get to the next checkpoint? This strategy can also be annoying, because of Ninja Gaiden's infamous knockback, which activates any time you get hit and sends you flying off the screen, which is further topped with a very short amount of invincibility frames after getting hit, so you'll probably get hit multiple times in a row trying to get past an annoying crowd of enemies, and making it all the more likely that you'll get hurled into a pit at any time. All of these factors combined make Ninja Gaiden a pretty frustrating game already.

Ninja Gaiden (U)_005.png

But it doesn't end there. You know that wall-jumping mechanic? It kinda sucks actually. How the wall-jumping works is that you automatically cling to a wall upon jumping towards it. However, once you're on a wall, the only way you're getting off the wall is by wall-jumping off it, and your jump is always in an opposite direction to the wall; unlike Ninja Gaiden II and III, you cannot move up or down a wall and you cannot jump up if you're on the very top of a wall, so if you mess up a jump over a pit and cling to the wall, you're still dead even though you'd hope you were saved because there's no way you're getting up to the ground. The level design of Ninja Gaiden is kinda bland actually, it's just a lot of long hallways filled with enemies and fairly basic platforming over pits (no memorable set-pieces) with very occasional platforming sections in-between that use walljumping. Because of a lack of verticality in level design, walljumping within stages is not as cleverly integrated as you would hope, the wall-jumping mechanic often ends up getting in the way; like any platformer, Ninja Gaiden has a lot of walls in it simply by design, and you'll end up clinging to them should you accidentally jump towards them (either from messing a jump or because you didn't notice them during the heated gameplay, see the above picture). Not only does this waste time getting to where you want to be, but you're also a sitting duck to enemies while clinging on to the wall.

Ninja Gaiden (U)_006.png

I know I'm ragging on this game a bunch, and it wasn't a total failure; when I was in a groove, Ninja Gaiden was fun simply because of how satisfying its movement is, and the quick sword movement added to that flow (when it worked). However, there are way too many times where the game is just obnoxious, and when I get down to it, it's not an interestingly-designed game either. Even the bosses are pretty boring overall, with almost all of them either being a boringly easy war of attrition or plain awful to fight against without subweapons. To top it all off, the developers made the dickish decision to boot you several stages back if you lose to the final boss, meaning most of your playtime will be spent repeatedly going through the final stages of the game in order to slowly figure out the final bosses; at a point it's not even that hard it's just groan-inducing. One of those stages however, 6-2, has a particularly asinine jump in it (see above) that is pretty much impossible without deloading an enemy or using the Jump Slash powerup you get earlier in the stage (it's not too bad with Jump Slash, the problem is keeping it that far into the stage). The non-gameplay aspects have a lot of effort clearly put into them, but they're nowhere near enough to make up for the iffy gameplay.

When I sat down to evaluate this game, I basically asked myself:

1. Is Ninja Gaiden a bad game?
2. Is Ninja Gaiden a game I can recommend?

Question 1 is definitely no, Ninja Gaiden isn't completely incompetent, there are a lot of things going for it. But Question 2 is also no...it's not a game I'd be willing to recommend. If you want a beloved NES game that's a good challenge but has stood the test of time, I'd suggest Castlevania I or III (or the Mega Man games if you want something a smidge easier). If you're seeking some insane retro video game challenge to try and conquer, I don't think Ninja Gaiden can satisfy that either, there's plenty of other games for that, like any of the NES/SNES/Genesis Contra or Ghosts n Goblins games. More importantly though, I'd implore you all to check out the Japanese version of Ninja Gaiden III instead of this game. Not only does it solve most of the original's problems (levels and platforming are wayyy better, knockback is non-existent on the ground, enemies don't respawn, there's a way to increase your sword range, bosses are more fun), but it's also MUCH easier overall (and has password saves :p) while still offering a decent challenge in the late-game; it's probably a contender for the best NES game and a game I would highly recommend to anyone trying to get into retro games or if you were somehow still interested in the original's gameplay (don't play the US version of the game though :psygrump:). As it stands, Ninja Gaiden ain't bad, but I don't think it's a good game either.

High 4 to Low 5 / 10 (Okay)

Attachments

Last edited:

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
all on xbox one s:

beautiful looking/sounding anime disney action jrpg that is extremely shallow and is a game for extremely young kids for the first 2/3rds of the game. yes the story is confusing
graphics: 5/5 music: 4/5 story: 2.5/5 gameplay: 3/5 value: 4/5 overall: 7.5/10
-no dlc -played on xbox one s -normal mode -never played a kingdom hearts game in My Life
  • graphics: mostly amazing...one of the best looking and running (frequently 60fps) xbox one games i've played. some of the time you don't even know whether its cgi or not until you see the aliasing on the anime haircuts. also the cgi is great and a lot of the character designs are too
  • sounds: voice acting good (even if they say stupid lines) and the music is good too
  • combat: extremely easy: the only time i died was early on when I didn't get what you are supposed to do. the normal enemies you fight are all lame, with the only one you fight differently being the fat guy who your keyblade bounces off of. boss fights are better but they are hardly memorable.
    • i beat the entire game by spamming attack, alternating attack and dodge to get closer to my target,
this game is split up into 2 parts:
  1. disney part: 80% bad. takes up 2/3rds of the game if you do the bare minimum
    • level design: walk in a straight line until the paths branch and the wrong path is usually a short dead end or cliff that will set you back on the path, which sucks. alternatively walk around some space and look for stuff until you find enough stuff, which also sucks.
    • writing: terrible! people say stupid stuff, hardly anything makes sense, and once you get to the good part of the game they say none of it mattered. donald, goofy, and sora (which are all powerful characters) are the only things stopping me from skipping every cutscene
    • combat: extremely easy (i read online hard mode isn't much different): the only time i died was early on when I didn't get what you are supposed to do. the normal enemies you fight are all lame, with the only one you fight differently being the fat guy who your keyblade bounces off of. boss fights are better but they are hardly memorable.
      • i beat the entire game by spamming attack (A button), alternating attack and dodge (A and X) in the air get closer to my target, doing the special attacks with time limits for activation when they pop up (Y), and casting cure on myself (dpad down, A, dpad down a few times, then A twice). i never used link abilities or items besides to try them to see how they work.
      • overall if the game didn't look and sound so good i probably would have quit the game over how uninteresting this is.
    • other gameplay: there are a lot of other things you have to do to beat this part of the game besides walk and fight, and all of them feel extremely underdeveloped. they probably should have done less things to focus on a few minigames and make them notably good
  2. kingdom hearts part: 10% bad. takes up 1/3rd of the game if you do the bare minimum
    • level design: either just walk forward a few seconds to start a cutscene, or actually some relatively interesting stuff (the only good collectathon part of the game and the best platforming obstacles in the game, even if they are mostly easy with all the movement abilities you have by now)
    • writing: pretty good! almost everything that happens makes some sense now and a lot (yes actually a lot) of cool stuff happens (that actually matters this time)
    • combat: its basically a huge boss rush. some of the fights can be kinda tough but i never died and i was underleveled by like 10 levels (from what i've read online). my strategy still worked but you do need to run away until your magic meter restores more often
    • other gameplay: only one other thing happens in this section thats mostly a qte type thing. its also the best part of the whole game easily on multiple levels (i'm referring to the part where they rip off the nier automata thing
overall i do not regret playing this game because the long ending sequence is actually really sick. i'm actually kinda excited for future kingdom hearts if the visiting way more square enix worlds thing happens. i'm split on playing the old kingdom hearts games because i have a feeling the combat will also not be that good but will require more skill on my part, and if this game was hard to beat i don't think i would bother with it.

sick flight combat simulator(?) game with a story about as good as the other namco game called tekken. the online sucks and the music is surprisingly good (if you haven't played previous entries, at least). also you probably shouldn't pay 60 dollars for this
graphics: 5/5 music: 4/5 story: 2/5 gameplay: 4/5 value: 2/5 overall: 8.5/10

clearly low budget game...the gameplay of the story mostly sucks but the actual story itself is amazing. the side missions on the other hand are great and fun. disappointing soundtrack
graphics: 3/5 music: 2.5/5 story: 5/5 gameplay: 3/5 value: 5/5 overall: 8/10

sometimes looks gross due to unreal engine 3 but at other times is impressive even for today (watch the intro). the overworld is kinda weird to control, but the combat is a pretty interesting turn based jrpg. nobou uematsu on the soundtrack wins as usual. good story especially if you are ready to read a bunch of short books on your tv. it's underrated so play it (you will need an xbox 360/one...xbox one version (backwards compatible) fixes some stuff like the crazy load times)
graphics: 4/5 music: 5/5 story: 5/5: gameplay: 4.5/5 value: 5/5 overall: 9/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)