Pokémon Vivillon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vivi's pretty amazing in the Battle Maison... after 2 or 3 boosts she wrecks shit with Hurricane... shame she doesn't get baton pass though... but Vivillon is pretty deadly despite sub par bulk... I could see her reaching possibly UU... Hurricane spam is awesome especially with the confusion chance
Anything that gets a setup move+Protect is good in Maison alongside a Durant. Also it kinda begs the question of why you are using Vivillon over Volcarona.

This thing could be like the new Venomoth of RU. Instead of mono-attack sweeping with Tinted Lens, you have Hurricane which has a lot more power, a confusion chance, and better coverage. If it got Baton Pass it would be easily BL2 like Venomoth.

Anything that gets a setup move+Protect is good in Maison alongside a Durant. Also it kinda begs the question of why you are using Vivillon over Volcarona.

This thing could be like the new Venomoth of RU. Instead of mono-attack sweeping with Tinted Lens, you have Hurricane which has a lot more power, a confusion chance, and better coverage. If it got Baton Pass it would be easily BL2 like Venomoth.
I use

Sleep Powder
Hurricane
Quiver Dance
Psychic (though gonna change back to Bug Buzz...)

And my Vivilon actually out sped a Volcarona without boosts though I gave her Max speed with a Timid nature...) the only think Venumoth really has over Vivi is Baton Pass... compound eyes is far better than tinted lens when you got STAB Hurricane... also wish she got Focus Blast...

I use

Sleep Powder
Hurricane
Quiver Dance
Psychic (though gonna change back to Bug Buzz...)

And my Vivilon actually out sped a Volcarona without boosts though I gave her Max speed with a Timid nature...) the only think Venumoth really has over Vivi is Baton Pass... compound eyes is far better than tinted lens when you got STAB Hurricane... also wish she got Focus Blast...
Focus Blast would have been godly.

Also Psychic is one of the worse attacking moves you can run as coverage. It's not like Vivillon has no other coverage either.

Bug/Flying isn't great, but with Hurricane it's decent. Still not as great as Volcarona's movepool, and not even close to Volcarona in terms of stats. It does get Sleep though.

If I need to get through Maison I'd rather use Durant+Volcarona. And in OU I'd rather use Volcarona.

If only he got Focus Blast (haha this is like the one mon you can say this for).

Focus Blast would have been godly.

Also Psychic is one of the worse attacking moves you can run as coverage. It's not like Vivillon has no other coverage either.

Bug/Flying isn't great, but with Hurricane it's decent. Still not as great as Volcarona's movepool, and not even close to Volcarona in terms of stats. It does get Sleep though.

If I need to get through Maison I'd rather use Durant+Volcarona. And in OU I'd rather use Volcarona.

If only he got Focus Blast (haha this is like the one mon you can say this for).
To be fair the only reason Volca's used is Quiver Dance... Volca's undoubtedly better but Vivi's certainly a Solis Pokemon and probably will be a staple in lower tiers Compound Eyes+Hurricane is an amazing combo especially with super accurate Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance... but Focus Blast would make her amazing and counter Rock types

I normally lead with my Timid Vivillion. Sleep powder with a quiver dance lets her start to wreck most pokemon. I have a focus sash on her to guarantee she gets the sleep off. After 1 quiver dance, she outspeeds everything, and if they didn't switch out the sleepy pokemon and you kill it, you can sleep whatever they bring in. It pisses off so many people that I tend not to use the sleep after twice because I feel it's too unfair. I think she is infinity better then Volcarona, thanks to that sleep. Sure, not as much coverage, but sleep lets her set up freely and start to sweep.

I normally lead with my Timid Vivillion. Sleep powder with a quiver dance lets her start to wreck most pokemon. I have a focus sash on her to guarantee she gets the sleep off. After 1 quiver dance, she outspeeds everything, and if they didn't switch out the sleepy pokemon and you kill it, you can sleep whatever they bring in. It pisses off so many people that I tend not to use the sleep after twice because I feel it's too unfair. I think she is infinity better then Volcarona, thanks to that sleep. Sure, not as much coverage, but sleep lets her set up freely and start to sweep.
When I see a possible sleep lead on the other team I go to Gengar and Mega up and Sub.

Or if I see a rock-weak lead I go to Tyranitar.

Any sub mon, any weather mon, Cloyster and co, etc. can counter sleep leading. Not to mention that after you take a hit with Sash you're at 1 HP and are vulnerable to any priority.

Volcarona can threaten people from the getgo without the need for Sleep Powder or a boost. And it's coverage is better. Plus anyone that lets you sleep their one Vivillon counter or lets you set up more than one Quiver Dance while they switch is a bad player.

Let's stop comparing Volcarona and Vivillon.

When I see a possible sleep lead on the other team I go to Gengar and Mega up and Sub.

Or if I see a rock-weak lead I go to Tyranitar.

Any sub mon, any weather mon, Cloyster and co, etc. can counter sleep leading. Not to mention that after you take a hit with Sash you're at 1 HP and are vulnerable to any priority.

Volcarona can threaten people from the getgo without the need for Sleep Powder or a boost. And it's coverage is better. Plus anyone that lets you sleep their one Vivillon counter or lets you set up more than one Quiver Dance while they switch is a bad player.

Let's stop comparing Volcarona and Vivillon.
It's not that I ALWAYS start with her, or use sleep at first. if I think they are going to switch or have a pokemon that will be immune to my sleep, I Quiver dance instead.

Yes, weather hurts, as does priority. Thats why I have 2 possible leads, my Vivillon, or my Dragalge, who can set up toxic spikes. There isn't a hard counter to both pokemon.

I am not saying Vivillon is perfect, I am saying she is good, and shouldn't be bashed just because of Volcarona. They are both good, and both have counters.

I think she is infinity better then Volcarona, thanks to that sleep. Sure, not as much coverage, but sleep lets her set up freely and start to sweep.
I am not saying Vivillon is perfect, I am saying she is good, and shouldn't be bashed just because of Volcarona. They are both good, and both have counters.
If you don't want Vivillon bashed in comparison to Volcarona, maybe you shouldn't draw that connection in the first place.
Also Vivillon can be male too.

Unrelatedly...
Has anyone tried Vivillon in Triples with Friend Guard yet? (Is Triples even available on PS right now?)

If you don't want Vivillon bashed in comparison to Volcarona, maybe you shouldn't draw that connection in the first place.
Also Vivillon can be male too.

Unrelatedly...
Has anyone tried Vivillon in Triples with Friend Guard yet? (Is Triples even available on PS right now?)
Opps. hah. Yeah, I shouldn't have said that. got caught in the moment. I just prefer Vivillon to volcarona,because of the ability to set up sleep... I like screwing with the foes pokemon. I put a Xerneas to sleep before it could geomancy thnks to vivillion.

And I say she since mine is a she...

I have not, but that ability could be quite good in tripples...

I bred a scatterbug with 31/31/xx/31/31/31 but its a modest nature... is that still going to be as effective?
My Vivillon runs Timid mostly because she can out speed some Mons and sleep them... Modest is alright but I think Vivi's better of running Timid because SpA is boosted by Quiver Dance anyway... my problem is forgetting grass types are immune to powder moves...

I've been using my in-game Vivillon to Thief-Harvest Heart Scales and it gave me an idea.

Vivillon - Hasty/Naive
252Satk 252Spd 4Atk, Focus Sash
Sleep Powder
Quiver Dance
Hurricane
Thief/U-Turn

I've been able to grab Leftovers with Thief after my Focus Sash breaks just as a one-time pseudo Knock Off. I think this lets me survive Sandstorm after Sash breaks. As fun as it is, not sure if I should just use U-Turn instead.

Used as a lead unless they have Sand Stream; then I use Vivillon to sleep or force out threats by using Sash and being faster or as revenge.

I've been using my in-game Vivillon to Thief-Harvest Heart Scales and it gave me an idea.

Vivillon - Hasty/Naive
252Satk 252Spd 4Atk, Focus Sash
Sleep Powder
Quiver Dance
Hurricane
Thief/U-Turn

I've been able to grab Leftovers with Thief after my Focus Sash breaks just as a one-time pseudo Knock Off. I think this lets me survive Sandstorm after Sash breaks. As fun as it is, not sure if I should just use U-Turn instead.

Used as a lead unless they have Sand Stream; then I use Vivillon to sleep or force out threats by using Sash and being faster or as revenge.
But if you steal a Life Orb you're screwed

But if you steal a Life Orb you're screwed
If I'm using Thief, I'm not really expecting to live much longer anyways with Sand Storm and Priority being everywhere.

I did find out that I die to Iron Barbs before Thief takes away whatever item Ferrothorn is holding.

Update: Decided to run Energy Ball as my 2nd attack as another answer for Rotom-W.

Hurricane
Sleep Powder
Quiver Dance
Energy Ball

Some sample games of my Vivillon lead:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-67037640
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67031137
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67033792

Last edited:
Would like to know the potential of Vivillon running Friend Guard in Double/Triple Battles, seeing that it is currently the best Friend Guard user and it also has some nice support move such as Light Screen, weather moves and safeguard or even Rage Powder. It is also worth mentioning that Struggle Bug allows to hit all reachable targets and lowers special attack by one stage and it was also received a little power boost (30 to 50) and it is a STAB move.

This thing scares me because of its Pokedex number.

In all seriousness though, this thing seems especially potent in double-triple battles, as stated above, and it has a very interesting signature move in Powder (you couldn't come up with a better name, Gamefreak?), which can neuter some fire-type threats, if I know the mechanic correctly. Not to mention it's a priority move, and can flip the game momentum around if used correctly. A very niche move, but it would be very hilarious to see happen.

With Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance, would you want to use Sleep Powder or Quiver Dance first, assuming you have a Focus Sash?

Assuming 252+ I'm thinking QD first because you get a 50% boost to Speed so your (Lv50) 155 Spe jumps to 232, and after that you can go for SP, force a switch, go for another QD, then wreck shit.

Is that correct?

There are pros and cons to either method. Let's say you QD first. You're (most likely) down to your sash, and at this point you either need to try and sweep (and hope your opponent isn't carrying priority on their lead), or try and put something to sleep, in which case your opponent will then switch in a priority user to take Vivillon down. You'll usually get something to sleep, and you will have taken a chunk out of another pokemon this way.

On the other hand, if you outspeed the opposing lead, I'd definitely try and put them to sleep right away. This allows you to cripple something, and get a QD off with your sash still intact. From there you can QD a second time, or start attacking.

If you run a LO Vivilion, wouldn't you ditch bug buzz for draining kiss/U-Turn/infestation? Draining kiss being fairy type and all, gets good type coverage (better than bugg buzz even if no stab) and mitigates LO recoil a bit (living one or two turns longer means more hurricanes).

U-Turn is usefull for escaping threats, and can prevent losing momentum. You can also use it for trapping counters. Other than that, Volt turn is a nice offensive strategy that makes your enemy keep guessing. Tyrannitar for example (even if Vivilion won't like pursuit), does not like a switch in on Rotom-W. Rotom-W is more or less also the bane of Glicsor, who otherwise wouldn't mind taking Hurricanes that much and can threaten Vivilion back or outstall it (Yes sleep powder takes care of most counters given you have a speed boost, but Vivilion is frail and does not want to stay in on stuff that potentionally threaten it).

While Vivilion does not really have that bulk to set up without worries, infestation allows it to trap pokemon it can set up on without fearing an OHKO. It's more of a utility move to remove annoying pokemon, but it has it's uses imo.

I think Vivilion might be nice as a lead in OU. As a lead it doesn't have to worry about SR that much, and it only has one job: decimate or cripple. Vivilion still will need some good partners though. Rotom-W aside, it will appreaciate Mega Blastoise and Excadrill for their prowess as spinners and checks on rock types. Azumarill is a nice revengekiller for when Vivillion is killed, but I'm not sure if Aqua jet has priority on gale wings (you will need a reliable check on Talonflame). Another water type Vivilion appreciates is Slowbro, due to it's bulk and handling of physicall threats. Heatran is also a nice partner, as it counters fire types, ice types and electric types if it runs Earth power. With the nerf of hidden power, Heatran is likely to run flash cannon as well, so it can also deal with rock types to a certain extent. Vivilion also needs some help against priority moves, with her defenses. Team slots aren't infinite, but a counter to Unaware users is very welcome.

I have an ev spread that is superior to the standard "max speed/sp.atk out" spread. The spread I'm sharing allows vivillon to outspeed base 121's, namely tornadus-T, and can OHKO after stealth rocks. (Outspeed after a quiver dance that is)

+1 152+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-T: 229-270 (76.5 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The HP evs hit a leftovers number, which the 1 extra HP adds up after all the sleep powders used.

Vivillon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 152 SAtk / 208 HP / 148 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute

An alternate 196 speed evs could be used to outspeed base 130's after a QD, but makes hurricane a 3HKO on jolteon. On the bright side, you're that much faster to sleep powder foes for a quick set-up.

+1 48+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jolteon: 98-116 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Synergy wise, I like using terrakion because he sets up stealth rocks and takes care of most rock and steel types.

Terrakion @ Black Belt / focus sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / earthquake
- Taunt

Stone edge is good for STAB, but earthquake ensures you aren't walled by aegislash (unless its item is balloon, then you're fucked.). A special fire type attacking team mate can alleviate the problem that is aegislash, so I run stone edge.

A rapid spinner is a must with vivillon. I wouldn't run defog because vivillon needs rocks to secure a sweep. Starmie or excadrill make for a great offensive core.

Last edited:
Well, as a fan of Vivillon, let me share you guys the set I've been using:

Hyper Eyes Vivillon
Vivillon @ Wide Lens
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Since defensive stat of Vivillon is really bad, most of the time, he can be OHKO. Setting up and blowing out enemies away is his better choice. After the boost of Compound Eyes, Hurricane has 91% accuracy and 97.5% for Sleep Powder, and not 100% should be considered "Risky".
When I use Vivillon to wipe out someone's team, they always wonder why that 91% Hurricane ALWAYS hit, and the trick is Wide Lens. With Wide Lens, Hurricane became an reliable STAB move with enormous power that has 30% confusing affect and sure hit harder than Volcarona.
Substitute works great for Vivillon to help it feel free setting up while blocking status effect, especially Thunder Wave. Sleep Powder is an annoy move, but don't depend on it since the sleeping mechanic have changed and furthermore, most of the time it will be 1 turn Sleep.

Checks and Counters:
Just Steath Rock like Volcarona! Rotom is a big problem for this Vivillon since it take time to finish and if Sleep Clause is in effect, Vivillon can just hurt it once and then kiss the battlefield good bye. Talonflame hit Vivillon hard, too, and it's OHKO for sure. Magnezone block this Vivillon completely, but HP Ground for Vivillon is not really as useful as Substitute, so it's not worthy.

Vivillon is a good late game sweeper, after clearing most of it threat. If you can combine with Sticky Web, making Vivillon outspeed most of Pokémon, Vivillon is really dangerous.

Well, as a fan of Vivillon, let me share you guys the set I've been using:

Hyper Eyes Vivillon
Vivillon @ Wide Lens
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Since defensive stat of Vivillon is really bad, most of the time, he can be OHKO. Setting up and blowing out enemies away is his better choice. After the boost of Compound Eyes, Hurricane has 91% accuracy and 97.5% for Sleep Powder, and not 100% should be considered "Risky".
When I use Vivillon to wipe out someone's team, they always wonder why that 91% Hurricane ALWAYS hit, and the trick is Wide Lens. With Wide Lens, Hurricane became an reliable STAB move with enormous power that has 30% confusing affect and sure hit harder than Volcarona.
Substitute works great for Vivillon to help it feel free setting up while blocking status effect, especially Thunder Wave. Sleep Powder is an annoy move, but don't depend on it since the sleeping mechanic have changed and furthermore, most of the time it will be 1 turn Sleep.

Checks and Counters:
Just Steath Rock like Volcarona! Rotom is a big problem for this Vivillon since it take time to finish and if Sleep Clause is in effect, Vivillon can just hurt it once and then kiss the battlefield good bye. Talonflame hit Vivillon hard, too, and it's OHKO for sure. Magnezone block this Vivillon completely, but HP Ground for Vivillon is not really as useful as Substitute, so it's not worthy.

Vivillon is a good late game sweeper, after clearing most of it threat. If you can combine with Sticky Web, making Vivillon outspeed most of Pokémon, Vivillon is really dangerous.
Wide lens is overkill imo and she can use Life Orb or leftovers instead. Reason I say this is because her frailty makes her weaker than the average pategame sweeper. For now, it doesn't seem like she's going to stay long, so she's better off blasting whatever she can before she gets swatted.

Wide lens is overkill imo and she can use Life Orb or leftovers instead. Reason I say this is because her frailty makes her weaker than the average pategame sweeper. For now, it doesn't seem like she's going to stay long, so she's better off blasting whatever she can before she gets swatted.
GF seriously outdid themselves on Vivi, she's incredibly powerful for an early bug and probably could be considered the lower tear version of Volca... it's just a damn shame she doesn't get Focus Blast because Flying/Fighting is near unresisted I think

I've been running the same set occasionally and I still wonder what the "correct" item for Vivillon is. Even though I have substitute, I like running focus sash if I'm not breaking item clause with it because sometimes you'll get killed by surprise pokemon with choice scarf that you wouldn't have predicted (looking at you battle maison scarf skarmory).

Other than that I think the 2nd best item might be bright powder. It's not reliable, but if you get lucky it's basically a free quiver dance. Leftovers is great on Vivillon too since it allows you to spam substitute longer, but theres lots of other pokemon that use leftovers better, so it's not always an option. Lum berry could be good vs things like klefki and sableye. Sharp beak seems alright too since you're basically a hurricane machine. Life orb does way too much residual damage to be a valid option imo.

The only thing that really counters Vivillon is anything that is faster than it on turn 1. Which sadly is lots of things. I only use it nowadays if I'm positive I can outspeed the opponent's lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)