Volcarona

is there any discernable difference between flame body and swarm? doe sit matter which one volcarona has?

Well, other than the fact that one is released and one isn't, Flame Body - the released one - would tend to be better. It's more often that you'll be attacked by a contact move than you being in the HP range for Swarm to even activate. It makes it far easier to set up on things like Scizor and some Garchomp (Scarf Outrage for example) that keep touching your hot body (pun kinda intended). However, Swarm might help you take out Heatran is Bug Buzz is your only move against it (see Bulkarona/Morning Sun set), but you're probably not going to let yourself in that range is you can recover. It might see good use on the offensive set to plow through the last few threats before you die to priority/Life Orb recoil/sand or hail.

tl;dr - Swarm, once released, still seems inferior and far more situational on Volcarona than Flame Body. Those burns pull you through the game better than boosted Bug Buzzes.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Outside of toxic, roar, or cirtical hits, Heatran is doing very little to volcorona who can simply set up in its face.

Add me to the lists of people who have never seen a stone edge heatran. And I've seen a friggin flame body heatran in dreamworld tier.

Well, other than the fact that one is released and one isn't, Flame Body - the released one - would tend to be better. It's more often that you'll be attacked by a contact move than you being in the HP range for Swarm to even activate. It makes it far easier to set up on things like Scizor and some Garchomp (Scarf Outrage for example) that keep touching your hot body (pun kinda intended). However, Swarm might help you take out Heatran is Bug Buzz is your only move against it (see Bulkarona/Morning Sun set), but you're probably not going to let yourself in that range is you can recover. It might see good use on the offensive set to plow through the last few threats before you die to priority/Life Orb recoil/sand or hail.

tl;dr - Swarm, once released, still seems inferior and far more situational on Volcarona than Flame Body. Those burns pull you through the game better than boosted Bug Buzzes.
oh my mistake, assumed that you could get normal flame body/swarm, thats pretty sweet then, cheers.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
is there any discernable difference between flame body and swarm? doe sit matter which one volcarona has?
Flame Body cuts down a lot of Volca's counters.

Choice Band Snorlax (What I use against Volca on my Sun team) OHKOs Non-Defense Bulky Volcas with Return and 2HKOs Max Def Versions. But even though Thick Fat makes Snorlax take peanuts for damage from a +1 Fiery Dance in SUNLIGHT (31.4% - 37.2% with Life Orb calc'd in), Snorlax is only doing 68.2% - 80.2% Max HP/Defense versions which can be potentially be stalled out for an extra turn or 2 to Burn him, making him just setup bait.

Same thing can happen to Garchomp and pals. So yeah, Flame Body can reduce counters for Bulky sets, but if you're using all-offense, Swarm might be better since Volca's not taking more than one or 2 Physical hits anyway with 65 Base Defense.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The choice between Rock or Ground is up to you, if something that is Rock weak is a threat, then use it. Same for Ground, I use Ground, however.
my opinion is that hp electric or psychic will be the best coverage options when keldeo is released.they are the only moves that hit him for super effective damage.also psychic is the only move that lets you murder volcarona's biggest conter:terakion.without psychic terakion can always switch in(if it's healthy enough)take everything else except than psychic(even hp ground doesn't ohko and theres always balloon) and murder you with a rock move...also hp electric hits jelicient and gyarados while psychich hits both terakion and keldeo!i think that terakion and keldeo are(or will be) much more popular than dragonite and salamence...

flame body has saved me so many times, usually with something killing volcarona and getting a surprise burn, letting me turn a match around. definitely use it over swarm.

my opinion is that hp electric or psychic will be the best coverage options when keldeo is released.they are the only moves that hit him for super effective damage.also psychic is the only move that lets you murder volcarona's biggest conter:terakion.without psychic terakion can always switch in(if it's healthy enough)take everything else except than psychic(even hp ground doesn't ohko and theres always balloon) and murder you with a rock move...also hp electric hits jelicient and gyarados while psychich hits both terakion and keldeo!i think that terakion and keldeo are(or will be) much more popular than dragonite and salamence...
Your opinion has merits.. I was thinking about this when making my volcarona as well... But after playing with him for a while i realized that hp rock is just the way to go only because you have greater coverage (i.e. both psychic and rock kill important things, but you can kill a higher number of important things with rock).

Even though he is not nearly the threat he used to be in gen 4, heatran can come in on you without hp rock or ground and can make potentially stall you out with a toxic or torment.

Regardless, you should just switch out if you are fighting terrakion or keldio, because you will probably lose those fights 1v1 anyways. Granted I think we are argueing semantics but honestly I dont see nite/mence's usage waning, esspecially with their dw abilities... And I would venture to say that moxie mence is a lil more threatening then terrakion, specially since he cant be revenged as easily by scizor... double dance is threatening on terrakion, but it takes 2 turns... mence only needs one dd and you have some SERIOUS problems...

sun teams dont worry about the two justice hearters because you can just swicht in venusaur.... but they stil gotta worry abotu those damn dragons...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your opinion has merits.. I was thinking about this when making my volcarona as well... But after playing with him for a while i realized that hp rock is just the way to go only because you have greater coverage (i.e. both psychic and rock kill important things, but you can kill a higher number of important things with rock).

Even though he is not nearly the threat he used to be in gen 4, heatran can come in on you without hp rock or ground and can make potentially stall you out with a toxic or torment.

Regardless, you should just switch out if you are fighting terrakion or keldio, because you will probably lose those fights 1v1 anyways. Granted I think we are argueing semantics but honestly I dont see nite/mence's usage waning, esspecially with their dw abilities... And I would venture to say that moxie mence is a lil more threatening then terrakion, specially since he cant be revenged as easily by scizor... double dance is threatening on terrakion, but it takes 2 turns... mence only needs one dd and you have some SERIOUS problems...

sun teams dont worry about the two justice hearters because you can just swicht in venusaur.... but they stil gotta worry abotu those damn dragons...
i see what you mean...so an offensive volcarona in a sun team is better of running hp ice or rock to kill the dragons that sun sweepers have generally problem with.but a standart offensive volcarona can run hp ice/rock/ground/electric or psychic depending on the targets that he wants to beat and finally hp rock is the best all around coverage move for volcarona!

Volcarona seems to have problems getting the coverage it needs, so I thought about using whirlwind with a bulky spread???
Of course only with Stealth Rocks on the field to weaken the opponent when he dares to re-enter the field.
The main reason is, that special bug-stab only has 90 dmg maximum with Bug Buzz and doesn´t hit the pokemon where fire-stab fails hard enough for my taste, as even water pkmn can be evaporated with stab sun boosted fire blast for the same damage output. The neutral coverage it gives is not that great compared to a HP Rock/Ground...
But the question remains, whether Volcarona can survive an attack with his low base Defense to whirlwind someone out...

I actually use Psychic for neutral coverage. It hits Terakion super-effective and it hits water/ ghost (jellicent), flying/ rock (aerodactyl), flying/ dragon etc. neutral and I first was having a bit of a hard time with damn flying (read dragons) pokes that resisted fire. I'm not into the trying to get around with whirlwind thing since I just want to dance and sweep.

I hate Garchomp so Flame Body is the way to go for me. Also I think that after dancing you don't need a Bug Buzz boost from Swarm and you actually don't even want to get hit when using Volcarona. If you're below 1/3 of your health you're very vulnerable for priority attacks also. Flame body can at least attempt to burn those priority users.

Did a search on this thread and saw no mention of unaware Quagsire. Has anyone use it against volcarona with great success?

Did a search on this thread and saw no mention of unaware Quagsire. Has anyone use it against volcarona with great success?
that guy is such a dickhead i am pretty sure he does well against volcarona... specially with a calm or careful nature

Maybe the specially defensive Quagsire is a Volcarona counter, but the physically defensive one takes too much damage from an unboosted Bug Buzz. Unless you are already in Earthquake kill range, of course, and then it might cause a problem.

Assuming Volcarona has a special attack boosting nature and Quagsire has a special defense boosting nature, an unboosted Bug Buzz would do about 156 to 184 damage. It would be a 2 or 3HKO. So Quagsire might be a problem for the flaming moth.

Has anyone had any success with a ChestoRest set or a set that runs something like:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Timid
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance/Fire Blast

How would a good ChestoRest set look? Feel free to modify mine above too.

Has anyone had any success with a ChestoRest set or a set that runs something like:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Timid
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance/Fire Blast

How would a good ChestoRest set look? Feel free to modify mine above too.
Normally, Hidden Power (Ground) or (Rock) are the primary options over Psychic so that Volcarona has an easier time with Heatran and Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite respectively. The 4 HP EVs should go into Special Defense because putting 4 EVs into HP makes Volcarona die to Stealth Rock if switched into battle twice without taking attack damage.

Normally, Hidden Power (Ground) or (Rock) are the primary options over Psychic so that Volcarona has an easier time with Heatran and Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite respectively. The 4 HP EVs should go into Special Defense because putting 4 EVs into HP makes Volcarona die to Stealth Rock if switched into battle twice without taking attack damage.
My mistake. Yeah Special Defense is the better choice there.

What about any ChestoRest sets? I hear they did really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)