Status
Not open for further replies.
It's afternoon now so let's go...

Topics I want to discuss:
- Division of Europe
- amount of teams
- the line-up

Division of Europe:
Europe seems to be a problem once again. (Coastal/Central/) Europe has won 3 WC's of 1v1 so far despite many (failed) attempts to nerf the area. To me the ideas I've seen don't make much sense when you look at the results from North Europe and Asia in past World Cups. Therefore I will distinguish 3 areas that are competitive, reasonably close, likeable and with enough people.

- The first team will be Frita + Spain and Portugal. France and Italy have been paired for a while now so team cohesion is already there. Adding Spain and Portugal won't influence their team much and it also makes geographically sense to put these countries on Frita.
- The second team will be UK + Benelux + Germany. Benelux + Germany have been paired together for 3 years and it wouldn't make sense to split those countries as it would be a loss of fun and team cohesion. Also, Benelux + Germany doesn't have enough 1v1 main players to be self sufficient. Therefore the best solution I could find is adding UK. This will make this team viable and it will make sure they don't have to ask for non-1v1 mainers to join the team. It's also logical on a geographical scale.
- The third team might upset people but it generally is a very logical idea. I've read many complaints about Asia not being a good team, therefore I'd like to add Asia to Eastern Europe, which contains the countries located in Europe that haven't been mentioned above. Not only will this team be able to fill all their slots, it will also make their team better. Not to forget that Russia connects Europe to Asia, which marks the point of teams being relatively close.

Amount of teams:
While the way I divided Europe might seem crazy, it will in fact influence the amount of teams in total (seven teams instead of eight). I don't have a solution for this now, but it seems that there's also a discussion going on about CONE and Central US. Maybe those could pair up too to make six teams. There's gonna be people complaining about this so I won't go much further into that. I suggest there will be six teams, though I'd like to hear some other solutions for that if there is anyone who agrees with me on the division of Europe.

The Line-up:
With six teams it's obvious that I'd like to see a line-up of 10 tiers as this will allow other generations of 1v1 to be explored even more. In my opinion these are the ones that should be included:
SSbo7
SSbo5
SSbo5
SMbo5
SMbo5
ORASbo5
BWbo5
DPPbo5
ADVbo5
2v2bo3
This line-up will satisfy the majority of the 1v1 community as it is the same line-up as 1v1PL but there are more tiers to be explored. Gen8 is the most recent tier of Pokemon and therefore 3 slots should be acceptable. I've heard some saying there should be 4 SS slots but the fact that SS isn't liked as much as other generations wouldn't make it more fun. Gen7 however, is where the majority of veterans would want to play. 2 SM slots will therefore satisfy those who have been part of the community for longer than a year. I haven't played much gen61v1 myself but I've heard that it is not liked a lot. 1 ORAS slot should therefore be enough. The same goes for gen51v1. DPP is a tier that is currently developing a lot, it wouldn't make sense to somehow throw it in the bin this tour. As for ADV and 2v2, there seems to be a division in what tier the line-up should contain. I'd say why not both? This way ADV can be developed and explored and the 2v2 community would have a reason to join too.

Have a nice day :)
I do like this argument, as i still personally think this holds validity for making this balanced. I do not personally enjoy constantly drafting non 1v1s into 1v1.

So if possible id like to pushfor this organization or something similar of the regions in world cup and ofc hear more of the communities opinion for it. especially the mentioned and impacted regions.

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
Someone mentioned this in 1v1 Room, don't know who (prob zio)-
  • "(Winner of #2 vs #3) vs #1" Finals
it was me
US East
US Central + Canada (or oce ig?)
US West + OCE (or canada ig?)
Outer Europe + Germany
Asia + East EU (-Germany)
France + Italy
the list above is in my opinion the route that we should take so that everyone has fun and doesn't spend the entire tour teaching some rando how to play rock paper scissors :]

Hello, I come to you fully transparent with no bias this time. Whether you like it or not, World Cup isn't, sadly, meant for balance but for regions. In my opinion, the key to WC is to keep the same teams every year so people in the same team form a bond which will make the tournament 100% more enjoyable. The Goal of WC isn't to create balance each year but to keep regions close to each other. With that being said, I believe we should reuse last years regions and stop worrying about Asia or any other weak team, their time will come, if not this year maybe next year. (Please keep in mind that the Europe/USA territories should be both close and balanced, don't use that as a reason to give out some unhealthy and unbalanced splits)

Last edited:
Hello, I come to you fully transparent with no bias this time. Whether you like it or not, World Cup isn't, sadly, meant for balance but for regions. In my opinion, the key to WC is to keep the same teams every year so people in the same team form a bond which will make the tournament 100% more enjoyable. The Goal of WC isn't to create balance each year but to keep regions close to each other. With that being said, I believe we should reuse last years regions and stop worrying about Asia or any other weak team, their time will come, if not this year maybe next year. (Please keep in mind that the Europe/USA territories should be both close and balanced, don't use that as a reason to give out some unhealthy and unbalanced splits)
word

"1v1pl is your tournament for balance and 1v1wc is your tournament for local unity, which is inherently unbalanced and purely dependent on where people are from" this was said by TonyFlygon in the Smogon Tournaments Discord

World Cup is an inherently biased format just like any other similar tournament, like the smogon wcop or even the olympics themselves, pushing for balance just forces things and still leads to people being unpleased with the result.
It's a format that is more centralized on worse players being helped by better players to become better than to draft players that are already proven great. Trying to change things around for the sake of balance is counterproductive as it leads to teams that already have good chemistry to be forced to team up with players they aren't familiar with.

8x8 is the way to go

Yo, the last time I proposed an idea for a new format, the Bo3o3 or Bo5o5 format. Of course, this idea already exists in the biggest and most prestigious Smogon tournaments and could possibly be integrated this year in our competition formats, I will also tell you precisely why we should integrate this idea.

Each generation has its own peculiarities and characters. It lives and grows thanks to the progress of new objects, technological advances, worlds... And all this is linked to a competition that has been chosen to satisfy its individual or collective interest. It is necessary to keep moving forward and to put new trends into perspective in order to increase a need. Thanks to Galar's era, which is still fresh, we must seize the opportunity to commit ourselves to a new field that will generate strong emotion for those who participate in the competition. I said last time that the number of signups depends on the number of teams to be expected and therefore to add a new potential playable format to allow players to always find a collective interest in playing what they want and to give a lot of their free time to help their fellow man, that's the ultimate goal of a council member, isn't it? In the near future, the inclusion of this kind of idea would be more than obvious and will continue to develop under good conditions. Each of us deserves to play what we want, and that is the case at the moment, but we should develop this slot to make it even more attractive. The 1v1 WCoP is one of the most popular team tournaments because of its accessibility, for the different older generations, which is world class and the good times we spend there falling in an attractive period (most of us are on summer holidays). The teams leave according to the geographical position of the player, as in a real world cup, which creates a need for the player to fight for his country. This prestigious tournament was launched in 2017 and has not yet seen a radical change in the development of slots, which could be a major asset and could change the game.

Could 2020 be the year of change?

I 100% agree with lancer proposition. A bo3o3 or bo5o5o would change healthily the slots we have right now. I think Bo3o3 is more feasible but I'd be down for bo5o5o as it really force people out of their bubbles and to slot, while separating, the good 1v1 players from the great 1v1 players. This idea seems more entertaining than the SS slots we have right now, but the problem is How to implement it? Bo5o5o/Bo3o3o is a heavy slot which is really exciting to both watch and play, maybe a pain to play too kek which means that if anything this slot should replace SS Bo7. Now we have two options ahead of us:

Option 1:
3 SS bo5
1 SM
1 Bo5o5/bo3o3o

Option 2:
2 SS Bo5
2 SM
1 Bo5o5/bo3o3o

In my opinion I think option 1 is the better option. I think that the current generation should be represented more than old generations and cannot have the same number of slots as SM here, I mean it's preference and like culture lol. Option 1 is a perfect option as it allows us to alter / replace the "high skilled metagame (SS Bo7)" into a better, and more accurate high skilled slot, while keeping SS its integrity and representing all old gens by 1 slot + the Bo- metagame. This is why I feel Bo5o5 is better than Bo3o3 it tests the player ability to play a lot of gens and should be used as a skill test for this tournament and future tournament (imo we should also add it in PL) Bo5o5 is also better because it gives all old gens the same representation which is 2. But I can see why people don't want it, so we can also add Bo3o5, bo3 in 5 gens which sounds less painful, more realistic and still test the player knowledge in all gens.

TO CLARIFY: BO3O3, should be SS+Player 1 pick + Player 2 pick. This is also a good option over bo5o5.
Edit 2: On a second note I THINK bo3o3>bo5o3>bo5o5 cause building a lot of teams is painful af specially in a pool system.

I ask the "TD" team to look at this slot as it is really interesting, entertaining, and creates the skill gap we're looking for.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Bo- slot and I agree with it replacing the Bo7 slot and an SM slot being given up for SS, but one clarification must be made. Bo3o5 or Bo5o5 is not an acceptable format because the amount of games is strictly too high, you will never be able to hold up with building for that tier. Also, there is not a single player in the metagame who is good at every single gen (besides dom but w/e he's a lonely wolf) and thus being somewhat decent at all 5 will be more rewarded than being exceptional at 2 or 3.
Bo3o3 should be the chosen slot

4 SS slots moment
This is something I just thought about, that's why bo3o3 slot can be without SS. We can make it generation 3/4 ~~~> 7. With the standard/g1 generation being randomly picked for each pool / week by !pick OR being SM. Sounds better, smarter, and more feasible. OFC with both players picking the other games gens. player1 pick his gen, p2 picks his gen other than the pre-picked/set g1 gen.

If we're gonna have some funky Bo3o3 then these would be my slots.
SwSh
SwSh
SwSh
SM
ORAS
BW
DPP
Bo3o3
SwSh
SwSh
SwSh
SM
SM
ORAS
BW
DPP
2v2
Bo3o3

Bo3o5 isn't that bad in terms of team prep, at least in my experience during U*saPL. I would do it either ORAS -> SM -> SS if you prefer an oldgens focus or SS -> SM -> ORAS if you prefer newer gens. Something like this guarantees good matches between experienced players that have to know the tiers and will really test the combination of a teams' prep in both new and old gens.

Jabiru

formerly ThatCabbageGuy
Big fan of the Bo#o# slot, but I think that when introducing it, it would be better to be more conservative in how many games it can include and then if its not seen to be excessive in terms of building requirements then build it up to be more intensive in future tours, by going too hard too fast theres a risk of spoiling what could be a really great addition to our tour scene. So with that said I'd probably argue for a bo3o3 at present with definite potential for bo3o5 or bo5o3.

Also with 3, giving each player of a choice of tier seems cool. Then I think from that if you are allowing for choice in gens, there probably has to be a discussion as to whether adv is at a state of development where it could be included. Personally, I'd be leaning towards no atm, but its definitely a consideration that exists.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Hey everyone. Thank you for all your feedback and opinions in this thread. After some discussion, the 1v1 TDs and I have agreed upon regions and a slight timeline change for World Cup. First, the regions:
US West
US Central + Latin America
US East
Canada + Oceania ("Cone")
South Europe + Africa
Northwest Europe
East Europe
Asia

1590373418238.png

1590373464935.png

We've also decided that the tournament will have 8 slots, to be announced at a later date. Please feel free to offer your thoughts on the slots in this thread.

Since the regions are decided now, the timeline of the tournament will be moved forward a week. Player signups will begin on July 5th, instead of captain signups. Captains will instead be selected by the players within their region who filled out the census. I will create a private conversation with the players from each region and have them discuss amongst each other who they deem to be the best fit for captain. If you haven't filled out the census or received a notification regarding the conversation and want to be involved with the captain selection, you may feel free to send me a request to be added to the conversation for your corresponding team.

If you are unsure which region you qualify for, check the World Cup eligiblity rules found here. If you are still unsure, don't hesitate to contact myself, Boat, Alakazam, or kjdaas.

Kaif

tensai
is a Tiering Contributor
Since the regions are decided now, the timeline of the tournament will be moved forward a week. Player signups will begin on July 5th, instead of captain signups. Captains will instead be selected by the players within their region who filled out the census. I will create a private conversation with the players from each region and have them discuss amongst each other who they deem to be the best fit for captain. If you haven't filled out the census or received a notification regarding the conversation and want to be involved with the captain selection, you may feel free to send me a request to be added to the conversation for your corresponding team.

If you are unsure which region you qualify for, check the World Cup eligiblity rules found here. If you are still unsure, don't hesitate to contact myself, Boat, Alakazam, or kjdaas.
why was this awful system implemented instead of the usual captain signups that go up in every single world cup on smogon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)