World Cup: South Africa 2010 - Paul and Spain win!

wow damn thats fucked for slovenia, late goal knocks them out

anyways, i reckon england v ghana next idk why really I just think they'll play really defensively because all they need is a draw so i dont think theyll have alot of intention to go out and attack

his pathetic miss? chipping a ball above a goalkeeper isn't as easy as it looks.. I'd say there were even more outrageous opportunities missed, I was happy, I wanted South Korea to progress. And I have had Park Chu-Young on my PES Master League since like 2007 even before I knew he was on the national team. Good free kick accuracy too.

@ today's matches

Group C

Slovenia 1 - 0 England (I want the United States and Slovenia to pass not because I dislike England, but because England had every obligation to qualify in the first place, and they're reduced to having to win the last game and hoping they win by a larger goal difference than the United States)

United States
3 - 0 Algeria (Algeria so far have managed one point, against England, which kind of brings me back to the point I made above, c'mon you yanks, show the world that you're not all about boring sports!)

Group D

Ghana 2 - 1 Germany (Ghana is the last hope Africa has for an African team to qualify, that's mostly why I want them to win)

Australia 0 - 2 Serbia (I predict this will be a boring game, with late goals, not much else to say here)
That make us two: I had Park Chu-Young on my Master League since PES 6, Winning Eleven 8. Great player, with a lot of talent, and he's finally realizing his talent.

South Korea will be magnificently destroyed during their game against Uraguay. My thoughts:

1) South Korea ALWAYS starts off weak. They play nervously, missing passes, not being able to read plays, etc etc. I've noticed in all three games, they've given up quality scoring chances to their opponents in the first 10-15 minutes. Greece in the 6th minute had a quality corner kick heading that just barely missed the net. Argentina pressured them ALL game. Nigeria put in a nice cross that the Nigerian player (I don't know his name sorry =/) was able to convert, even with the Korean defender, and rang a shot off the post bar. Uruaguay is a team that's highly offensive, and I see them netting a goal in the first 15 minutes if South Korea keeps up their initial weak play.

2) Korea just doesn't seem to be able to penetrate the penalty box when on a rush. Even though their passing play is good, during the nigeria game, they were not able to penetrate the penalty box for a quality shooting chance. Both goals came off free kicks; the first one was a well set play, but the second was just a lucky free kick. All games in the group play, Korea has constantly tried to shoot the ball into the net with no success. If they would just lob the ball and set up more headers, and one timers in the box, they'd have much more success. With the exception of Park, none of the Korean players can take outside shots with success. See the Argentina game: all their shots either hit the wall, or were way off whenever they tried to go for the net in a direct free kick.

3) Their lack of quality players. With the exception of Park, none of the other players will be able to penetrate the penalty box (see above), with Uruguay's defense. Park is an excellent player, I grant you, but during the Nigeria game, whenever he attempted to penetrate, they would foul him, earning a free kick, but pretty much shooting it away. Uruguay has an equal, if not better, defensive corps compared to Nigeria, and I don't see Korea being able to get quality scoring chances, apart from crosses and free kicks.
Just to correct some of your statements:

1) Lots of great teams are having that same problem during this World Cup. There isn't a team with a really solid defense, and a very dangerous attack. Argentina's defense sucks, with Demichelis giving out easy goals, fricking weak defense from Gutierrez. Brazil took two stupid goals in both games, Spain dominating in offense and taking a counter goal from Switzerland. Korea defense was solid against Greece, and the reason they took so many goals from Argentina was because they went for the win. Maybe they started slow so far, but that doesn't mean they'll always do it.

2) You know, there are TWO Parks on their team, right? The Manchester United one is a star player. And Chu Young Park also proved to be able to kick from outside of the box. He scored once from a Free Kick, and had plenty of chances to score against Greece too, and against Nigeria, some of them were saved by the keepers. Ji Sung Park scored twice already, they have lots of chances with Free Kicks and corners, with a defender having scored twice already. And they also scored more than Nigeria so far. They aren't on the next round by luck alone, and they deserved a lot more, IMHO.

3) Ji Sung Park, Cha Du Ri, Chu Young Park, Lee Chung Yong, Yeom Ki Hun and Ki Sung Yong. The great majority of those players have already played in Europe, Cha Du Ri was able to outfoot Greek defenders, and they are a lot more experienced in defense than Uruguay, whose defenders are a lot slower than Nigeria's.

Uruguay is stronger than Korea? Of course. But you can't predict the result of a game the way you did comparing with their previous games. The next round is a totally different game, the teams have different qualities. I have faith that Korea can make a good game even agains twice champions Uruguay.

shit we could face england now in the next round :/
Why can't you idiots win your fucking group :(
Well, you know you need to beat Ghana first, right? :toast:

That's like the third time I've seen it spelled "GOL". Seriously people.

I got a bit emotional at the end there, I haven't screamed that loud in a long time. USA finally ends the group where they deserve, and good job to England as well.
Sorry, but GOAL is spelled "GOL" in a lot of languages, you know?

I beg to differ. The USA are not an easy team, and they haven't been for the two last decades. Slovenia was on cloud nine after winning a though qualification group, so their motivation was high. Algeria was an exception, though hard-working and playing positive football, they just didn't had the skill.

It wasn't an easy group...
USA are not an easy team to face, but I don't think any of their players are really better in the respective positions, apart from Howard. Other than that they don't have players that can play for top teams apart from Donovan and maybe Dempsey. Which is somewhat a shame considering they are good tactically and have good team spirit.

You don't really get shit teams in world cups anymore but as a top ten ranked team, with 3-4 truly world class players England should've been beating Slovenia and Algeria quite comfortably. Very few Slovenia and Algeria players actually play top flight football.

stfu and support the team. The shackles are off now and we're going ALL THE WAY BABY
I really hope we can win it, but it's not really negativity to point out that we qualified in an extremely limp way and will need to improve greatly in the knock out rounds.

shit we could face england now in the next round :/
Why can't you idiots win your fucking group :(

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
^ I don't understand why people do that (being Australian and not being positive about your team in the WC) but whatever. Congrats to the U.S for winning, close, but still won.

Pretty pumped for Sunday's Mexico vs Argentina, i'll be wearing my Mexico Shirt and big ass mexican flag around me that day no matter what happens.

^ true fan

congrats USA for qualifying, although theres a chance they might be playin Germany on saturday because atm Ghana are doing really well.

I hope it stays a tie and Serbia also tie so Ghana will top the group and Germany will also go through, even though Australia aint the best they got a draw vs Ghana so they have every chance to do the same vs serbia

woo africa

People should give refs a break.

It makes me sad how people who didn't even manage a game, heck, even play football before are rambling on and on about how refs suck this WC.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...fied-world-cup-officiating?cc=5739&ver=global

Brazilian star Kaka wasn't even looking at Kader Keita when the Ivory Coast player made the tiniest amount of contact with one of the most mild-mannered guys in the game.
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1G2wT1DyBA

So refs are supposed to study each players' previous games before, determining whether they are mild-mannered or short-tempered?

Kaka slightly pushed Keita with his elbow. Yeah, it was not worthy of a yellow. However, the referee had to decide quickly and managing a WC game, in a stadium full of fans, he had a lot of pressure on him. A wrong call, but hardly a scandal.

...and Mali's Koman Coulibaly, who waved off what would have been a game-winner for the Americans against Slovenia
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzNOCxkJn5k

Well, this was the only "scandalous" call, so to say. Glad the ref got punished.

...good thing, because there was a similar incident a few hours later in the Switzerland-Chile game.
Switzerland played a man down after midfielder Valon Behrami was sent off in the 31st minute with a straight red card, getting tangled up with not one, but two Chilean players. Never mind that the second Chilean appeared to be going down in agony before contact was even made.
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptl4NpHwN4 (scroll to 1:20)

What is this comment from ESPN? Behrami didn't get the red for "tangling up with 2 players". There wasn't even a second player in the position. He got a just red for hitting the player behind him in the face - totally justified, regardless of whether the player dived or not. (Which he didn't, watch the replay at 2:17)

Brazil's Luis Fabiano didn't even bother trying to deny he'd handled the ball on the way to his second goal Sunday night. Even 6-year-olds know goalkeepers are the only players who can use their hands in soccer, yet Lannoy was laughing when he let Luis Fabiano know afterward that he was onto the Brazilian.
Fuck what's this condescending tone? It's not like it's the first time a hand goal has been scored in football. (See: Hand of the God)

People are making a huge fuss over nothing. It's not like this is the first WC players are diving, or a referee has made a mistake. Besides that Malian guy, the referees aren't terrible like you are exaggerating, and at worst, they have made justifiable decisions.

norulz

excellent
needs more articles

Ghana 0 - 0 Germany

Australia 0 - 0 Serbia

been watching most of the Ghana - Germany match, which is actually qualify football from both sides.

My predictions may fall apart depending on how Ghana starts the second half

England - Germany.

Har har har.

Australia - Serbia was a great game, for a moment, I thought the aussies were going to come back from hell to grab the qualification (they needed two more goals to even the average with Ghana), then Serbia waked up, scored, scored again but it was offside... A 2-2 ties would have seen them trough.
Good game, but ended in mutual destruction.

England v Germany - I think England will actually win this, experience vs young talent imo experience will pull through

Ghana v USA - firstly, im happy Ghana went through (africa fuck yeah) and yea, this should be a great game. both teams are evenly matched imo and both will want to go for the win so we should see attacking football in this one

ultimately im hoping an african team can get far, and it looks like Ghana will be the only one through so yeah, im pretty much rooting for them. i also want england to do well

fck england

DEUTSCHLAND! DEUTSCHLAND! DEUTSCHLAND!

O o
/¯/____________________________/
| Ima Blowin' Ma VUVUZELA BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)