World of Warcraft (to buy or not to buy?)

No, this is not a thread to discuss this game. It's a question of "Should I buy it or not?", hence the thread's name.

Currently, I play Warcraft III and Pokemon, two of my worst addictions. I've always wanted to play WoW, but I fear that I won't have time to play Pokemon or Warcraft.

So Smogon, assuming that the monthly subscription fee is no problem, should I get WoW, or should I not get it?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Do you like MMORPGs? If so, Warcraft is probably one of the better ones. I honestly don't have time for it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
No story, lots of grinding, and the social aspect is a bit suspect. The classes in WoW are really well done though, but if you play a Priest prepare for hell. My favorite class is either the Ranger of the Mage.

No story, lots of grinding, and the social aspect is a bit suspect. The classes in WoW are really well done though, but if you play a Priest prepare for hell. My favorite class is either the Ranger of the Mage.
I agree.
I disagree.
Could you explain more?

WoW does have a story man, just play the campaigns of Warcraft III: RoC and TFT and you'll understand (almost) everything.

There are better mmorpgs for reasons explained above.

I suggest you google some top MMORPGs and youtube them to see if you would enjoy them.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I agree.
I disagree.
Could you explain more?

WoW does have a story man, just play the campaigns of Warcraft III: RoC and TFT and you'll understand (almost) everything.
The story in Warcraft 3 is pretty much entirely thrown out the window. Besides, YOU don't have a story, nor do you affect the world around you. That's the fundamental flaw with MMOs as I see it. I want an MMO where if I raid the enemy village I can literally wipe it off the map.

As for the social aspect, see any criticism leveled against socializing on the internet.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
it's hunter

there's plenty of story - if you played wc3 for it's lore and characters, then it's kind of a double-edged sword. you get to revisit that world again on your own terms, but you'll come to realise that in story terms wow does not accomodate PCs as heroes. you'll pave the way for npcs to do all the real work

having said that, there's a reason wow has millions of subscribers. it's probably the best mix of the fantasy mmorpg of its kind available atm, and if you don't mind saying goodbye to your life, you've found your next fix

For some reason I expected this thread to be full of people raging on WoW and you for thinking about buying it...

Basically, what Atlas and especially Az said. The moment you find a group (ingame or friends) that you click with, you don't want to leave the game (coming from experience). And if the monthly fee isn't a problem, and you didn't feel like you got a true feeling of the game through the trial, buy 1 month of game time. You'll get a pretty good feel for the game then, and if you don't like it, you can just stop the payments and return to other games you enjoy.

Well, I was a level 80 Druid, I raided ICC (Highest level raid currently, well a new one JUST came out but it's not as hard) and I liked the game. However it's somewhat insulting, the entire leveling process gets boring as all you do is run a do quests, and while some people are like "Quests are fine", half of them are Delivery or Kill X Bring back Y. Then once the terrible grind is over you reach Northrend and do a ton of cool quests, that much is true, but once it's over prepare for MORE hell.

Basically how this game works is your gearscore (Derived from the level of gear you have) is your skill. While yes some people have the skill to do the raid itself, I've been outhealing those with better gear, but I digress. Just to get into raids will take you forever because you have to do Heroics for about a week and finally you'll have some pretty decent gear, but then you have to learn the fights, have a guild bring you, and even then you'll only barely make it before Cataclysm. TBH the game went downhill this expansion. All the raids are old remakes or just 1 Boss raids which take no skill. Raids are only able to be done once a week so getting on becomes either a farm, pvp, or a raid and PvP is incredibly IMBALANCED (People who play let me just say that Disc Priests are too cheap and you know it)

Raids are the same thing over and over just getting better gear and going back to do it again, while progression is always nice it gets boring as their are only 2 raids being done now as the other raiding gear is worthless thanks to badges.

I've ranted for too long about Endgame so maybe I should get back to where you will start off. Honestly you might have some fun at the beginning, you might not, either way Endgame doesn't hold much promise for you and I don't recommend this, remember this is from a player who has actually done a lot of what the game has to offer. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, my advice, try the trial, if you like it upgrade to an account, if not then at least you tried. Also pick either a Druid/Paladin they can do all roles in Raiding and are pretty annoying PvP plus Paladins and Druids level fast. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose :)

Playing an MMO will take a lot of time away from your other games, but not so much that you can't still enjoy them. I've played pokemon semi-competitively and WoW almost constantly for the last year and haven't really missed out on any other games that I've wanted to play.

If you want to play an MMO, I highly recommend WoW. It's accessible, popular, and stable. It's streamlined for somewhat casual gamers while also having opportunities for hard core super nerds to poop-sock their way through more difficult content. Here are a few reasons I like WoW better than other MMOs I've played.

Leveling is much quicker and more diverse than a lot of MMOs. If you're crazy you can hit max level in less than a week, if you're committed but not crazy it will take you a few weeks, and if you're mega casual (less than an hour a day on average) it'll probably take a month or two. Additionally (and contrary to what Vulcan said), there are multiple ways to level that are all viable. You can level entirely by doing dungeons with groups of friends and/or strangers, or you can level entirely by fighting other players in battlegrounds, or you can level entirely by questing and killing random enemies. Of course most players do all of the above, just sayin', plenty of options to keep you from getting bored.

Casual. This game is not for people who poop-sock and power game meticulously. Sure, it's an MMO with some difficult content so that element will always be there, but ultimately it's aimed at regular folks. If you mess up your talents while leveling (get one point to spend per level to specialize in different things), it only takes a few minutes and a few gold to fix it. Some games either lack this option entirely or force you to pay huge amounts of in game currency.

Finding groups for dungeons can now be done automatically and almost instantly, this is a welcome change over most MMOs (including the WoW of yesteryear), which require sometimes hours of planning to form a group that might not work out anyway. Of course if you want to design a group a specific way the option to do so the old fashioned way is still there, but the auto option is VERY nice, especially while leveling and when first hitting max level.

The game rarely punishes you. If you die you don't lose experience (lol FFXI), you just become a ghost and run back to your body to resurrect. If you mess up a quest you can start it over.

Quests are simple and the story is available for players who want to know about the lore, but also easily ignorable for players just interested in killing dragons and giants.

Gearing up is easy, any player can get a reasonably strong character regardless of skill level. Only the top levels of raiding are at all exclusive. If you want to explore the most difficult dungeons you have to actually try and be moderately competent, but you don't need to invest huge amounts of time gearing up or perfecting obscure strategies.

Combat is intuitive and simple. No class is difficult to master, and no boss mechanics are frustratingly hard. High level content is about coordination, strategy, and execution.

The classes are balanced. You can be almost any specialization of any class and be useful to almost any given group of players for high level content. You don't have to worry so much about what type of character you make, just choose something that sounds cool and you can't go wrong. No class has a truly hard time leveling or holds back raids. The only balance problem right now that isn't a minor issue is in very high level Arena PVP. If you aren't planning on playing competitively (IE WoW pvp tournaments) then you shouldn't be worried about it. Any class can be competitive in casual pvp if you're a decent player.

The bottom line- Blizzard has done a good job inventing and continuously reinventing an MMO that anyway can pick up and play, but won't bore the hard core community. If you want to play an MMO I highly recommend it. There's a new expansion set to release late this year that is completely redoing almost the entire map. If you pick up the game soon you could probably get a character to max level and clear every current max level raid by the time the expansion came out. Alternatively you can wait until the expansion and level up in a greatly refined world.

Sorry for the long-winded response. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

I've always been put off by the subscription aspect. When every other game you just buy once, WoW just looks like it will take too much money. Which would you rather have - a WoW subscription, or a new game every month?

I've always been put off by the subscription aspect. When every other game you just buy once, WoW just looks like it will take too much money. Which would you rather have - a WoW subscription, or a new game every month?
Subscription is 15/mo if you're buying 1 month at a time (least cost affective way of playing), which is 1 new game every three + months. It all depends on how you look at it. I don't get more than 3 months of play time out of very many games, and the ones I do are games I beat once every year or two, not games I would want to play multiple times a week for months. Per hour of entertainment, WoW (or any other subscription based MMO) is very cheap. That's how I justify it.

OK, I've taken Atlas's advice and downloaded the trial. I had high expectations for this game, but i spent almost 2 hours not knowing where to go or what to do. I know how to read, yes. But what I like about it is...
1. The number of races I can choose from.
2. Its story. YES IT DOES HAVE A STORY!
3. The number of people playing it.

But it kinda has some down points too...
1. Graphics are cartoon-ish.
Basically how this game works is your gearscore (Derived from the level of gear you have) is your skill. While yes some people have the skill to do the raid itself, I've been outhealing those with better gear, but I digress. Just to get into raids will take you forever because you have to do Heroics for about a week and finally you'll have some pretty decent gear, but then you have to learn the fights, have a guild bring you, and even then you'll only barely make it before Cataclysm. TBH the game went downhill this expansion. All the raids are old remakes or just 1 Boss raids which take no skill. Raids are only able to be done once a week so getting on becomes either a farm, pvp, or a raid and PvP is incredibly IMBALANCED (People who play let me just say that Disc Priests are too cheap and you know it)
3. too much lag.

On the other hand, I took Overhazard's advice and searched for top MMORPGs. Guild Wars sounds like a good option now. I searched for it on YouTube and I saw a constant battle between gamers saying "OMFG WOW SUCKS" or "OMFG GW SUCKS". Tbh, GW is superior to WoW IMO.

1. Graphics are superior.
2. Level cap is low (Level 20 max)
3. Its like Diablo, but with PvP and awesome graphics.
4. It has a story you can follow.

If you're going to start an argument over which game is better, hold your piece. I'm going to make a thread dedicated to that matter.

ANYWAY, I'm going out to buy Guild Wars.

Let me tell you to test out Guild Wars as well, you can get the trial. Only problem I see is that it's heavily instanced and it didn't catch me but that's personal preference (Although I would play with a friend). It's kinda pvp based but it seems pretty decent, I tried it out for an hour and just got bored because it was instanced and you don't see any players while leveling and most end game is PvP which I don't like/not good at it. Honestly I do recommend trying it on the trial first before buying it, at least I think the trial should still be up.

And Phizzlax, just to defend myself on my other post, there are plenty of ways to level but if you dungeon it takes longer and grinding is well....... do I have to explain? Mostly you do quests as Battlegrounds have trinks that ROFLStomp your team. Again most low level quests are boring but some could find them fun I guess.

End game is pathetic, it really is. The ICC Bosses require a gear check (Yes I know GearScore is annoying as skill check, but you do actually need gear) and all other raids are basically pointless and no one runs except for Ulduar Hard Modes. Gearing up takes a week of running the SAME heroics over and over and when you get to ICC content you are basically stuck doing it once a week or more if you continue for the rest of WoW, Cataclysm looks decent and I might pick it back up again but honestly I am not going to go into it until it does, if at all. Classes are balanced I will give you that (PvE) but Raids are annoying when one person doesn't pay attention and you all Wipe, in other words most Casuals aren't the best raiders but some can be and I know a couple that are. I'm glad you stayed away, not trying to enforce this on anyone but it's known as a time stealer which it is and when you sit down and actually LOOK at it you realize you are just in one big grind.

Back on Guild Wars, I think I might pick up a trial if you're willing to play with me as I only didn't like playing solo with no players around due to an instanced world

Guild Wars is very fun. I'm kinda biased because I've played GW since 2005 and never really liked WoW. It's pretty easy to pick up, although the amount of players is much less than what it used to be in say, 2007. There's lots of story in it as well as high-level PvP. But the main reason I love it is because I'm too cheap to pay subscription fees and it's a great game. and by instanced, he means that you/your party goes into an "explorable area" with just you and your party and no one else. So every party has their own "Instance" of the map. People gather in towns or outposts to join parties, talk, trade, etc. You really should just try it out.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If you get Guild Wars: Nightfall then I can play with you, since that's the only one I have. I definitely recommend any iteration of the game because it's a run MMORPG without the stupid monthly subscription. Additionally, you can buy the expansion packs without owning the base game, which imo is a better idea because the packs come with 2 additional available character classes each. Eye of the North requires owning one of the other three and adds no new character classes.

Factions is based on Asian culture while Nightfall is based on Middle Eastern. I have Nightfall, and when I played it consistently I thoroughly enjoyed it. That said, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember exactly what I liked other than that it was a cool and fun RPG that didn't have a monthly upkeep cost!

I have the Guild Wars trilogy + Eye of the North. I never got around to beating it because I'm such a casual gamer I never had time to complete all the stories (only finished Factions out of all them), and wanted to try out every character so I got bored.

If you don't want to get all of them, I'd recommend either Prophecies (the original) because of it's length and quality or Nightfall because it's a sort of mix between Prophecies and Factions. Mildly long and with 2 new classes. As much as I love the Assassin and Ritualist, Factions is just too short, and isn't really friendly to new, casual players (after you get off the starter (noob) island, the difficulty raises EXTREMELY).

I highly recommend Guild Wars though, it's my favorite mmorpg, and I believe it's really well done.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
1. The number of races I can choose from.
2. Its story. YES IT DOES HAVE A STORY!
3. The number of people playing it.

But it kinda has some down points too...
1. Graphics are cartoon-ish.
3. too much lag.
If you're lagging, it's either your computer, or the server you chose to play on. There's a reason for the big server list that tells you how populated each server is. If it's graphical lag (or whatever you wish to name it), you're probably not going to handle most other MMOs well, as WoW is pretty much as lightweight as you can get in terms of popular MMORPGs.

Regarding number 2 and endgame, the only reason it's a poor time to try to work into raids right now, is because the game is nearing the end of this expansion, so it's a hassle to go through the steps that people who played from the beginning of the expansion went through. While Blizzard presented an alternative by letting you farm relatively decent gear to get you on your feet, it can be attributed to the expansion cycle. If you have any interest, there's so many other things to do in WoW that can last you until the next expansion, especially considering you have to level up anyways.

WoW is certainly not a perfect game, but I definitely consider it the strongest MMORPG out there right now. I've been hardcore and I've been casual, and no matter how much I was or wasn't playing, there was always something for me to do and keep me entertained. As I mentioned, right now may not be the best time to judge the endgame due to the nature of everything winding down, but also due to you being pretty much forced to skip pretty much the whole progression path if you were to start now.

I guess I just want to end by saying that judging a game, especially an MMO as expansive as World of Warcraft by 2 hours of gameplay is fairly shallow. If you have the opportunity to, you should finish your trial (up to level 20, which should take only a few days if you don't play much and/or as a first time player), because you don't get nearly the full experience from the first little area within the starting zone.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No, this is not a thread to discuss this game. It's a question of "Should I buy it or not?", hence the thread's name.

Currently, I play Warcraft III and Pokemon, two of my worst addictions. I've always wanted to play WoW, but I fear that I won't have time to play Pokemon or Warcraft.

So Smogon, assuming that the monthly subscription fee is no problem, should I get WoW, or should I not get it?
i see you play Warcraft III. well sir the question isnt to buy or not to buy :), its more like do i have the luxury of investing alot of time [like the start, give it abit to get used to] to this game at this moment in my life :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)