"Worst Pokémon Ever"

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
View attachment 481478

I hate this thing.

I'm a casual fan of trains, and have always wanted some kind of cool train Pokémon. Maybe it could be a Steel/Water steam engine idk. Anyway, Rolycoly and Carkoal seemed to be heading into that direction with their minecart aesthetic. I was kind of excited to see their final evolution even if was just some mine train. And then this fucking dude comes in, drops the minecart theming, and ruins it with its generic-ass rock monster shtick.

Coalossal isn't even the best-looking rock monster we have.
To top it all off, Coal even gets an ability based off of steam engines (which it doesn't even resemble anymore), which ends up being completely useless on it because it's typing is 4x weak to Water! Only saving grace for it is that the GMax is admittedly pretty badass.

To top it all off, Coal even gets an ability based off of steam engines (which it doesn't even resemble anymore), which ends up being completely useless on it because it's typing is 4x weak to Water! Only saving grace for it is that the GMax is admittedly pretty badass.
Nah, the ability is good for a (very predictable) strat in doubles. You run Coalossal and then a low-power water move+Weakness Policy.

The GMax was seriously disappointing IMO. One of the two forms should have been a train. Giving it a GMax that was just a different coal furnace was a major let-down.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well what do you expect, it's a story McGuffin, it's lucky to even have stats, isn't that right Zygarde Cores & Cells?
Koraidon and Miraidon say hello.

Or "Aaagias!", I guess.

SV really found a better approach to the "legendaries as a story element" dilemma. You can see what they were going for with Cosmog and Zygarde: a legendary Pokémon that stuck around for the story of the entire game, but not in a way that let you use their awesome strength to sweep all enemies off the map. In Gen 7, they gave you a severely hampered Pokémon to start with, and as the game progressed, you (or Lillie, I guess) gradually built up its strength to reach the awesome final form. Gen 8 just had the dogs vaguely sauntering in the background of the story, in the form of one early story encounter and from then on as statues until they finally appeared in the flesh. While Gen 9 just gave you the awesomely strong final form right off the bat, but hurt in such a way you could only use it as a mount and not for battle. I think that's brilliant, since it's a much better payoff when you finally get to use it in battle.

Oh, and I agree that Coalossal sucks.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Koraidon and Miraidon say hello.

Or "Aaagias!", I guess.

SV really found a better approach to the "legendaries as a story element" dilemma. You can see what they were going for with Cosmog and Zygarde: a legendary Pokémon that stuck around for the story of the entire game, but not in a way that let you use their awesome strength to sweep all enemies off the map. In Gen 7, they gave you a severely hampered Pokémon to start with, and as the game progressed, you (or Lillie, I guess) gradually built up its strength to reach the awesome final form. Gen 8 just had the dogs vaguely sauntering in the background of the story, in the form of one early story encounter and from then on as statues until they finally appeared in the flesh. While Gen 9 just gave you the awesomely strong final form right off the bat, but hurt in such a way you could only use it as a mount and not for battle. I think that's brilliant, since it's a much better payoff when you finally get to use it in battle.
A McGuffin is something (object, person, event) that is necessary to the plot and the motivation of the characters, but insignificant, unimportant, or irrelevant in itself. This fits Cosmog/Cosmoem and the Zygarde Cores/Cells as, on their own, they're useless; Cosmog/em has no attacking Moves and Z-Cores/Cells are just collected in an Item which you can't use until you got a significant amount of them. However, both have importance in the story or at least in-lore. Note that just because Cosmog eventually evolves into Solgaleo/Lunala and the Z-Cores/Cells eventually create a Battleable Zygarde does not rid them of the label, Solgaleo/Lunala & Battleable Zygarde at this point are their own beings. If anything, Cosmog/em and the Z-Cores/Cells are a challenge/obstacle you need to overcome to get their battling forms, otherwise they just do nothing (infact, in this case Cosmog/em could be considered worse than the Z-Cores/Cells because it needs to take up a Party space and get Experience which could have gone to another Pokemon).

The 'Raidons are not McGuffins. Yes, you don't have access to their battling forms until the end of the game & post game, but they are not useless without it. Instead, when not in their battle form, they serve another role: transport. And there are points you need their ride forms (after up-grading them) to get around to locations you otherwise wouldn't have access to (not to mention all the other additional locations there are you can only access by swimming/jumping/climbing). Them alone being quicker than running (even more so when they get the dash up-grade) gives them enough purpose to not have the McGuffin label. If anything the Herba Mystica were the McGuffins.

You're right that if they're going to implement the Legendaries into the story somehow and it's not in a battling compacity, the 'Raidons were an excellent way of doing it! Quicker travel, additional mobility options, fun to use, and they formed a story around regaining their power while connecting it to some other characters' story.

Wait, this is about "Worse Pokemon". Hm, well this is more of a nitpick, but I'll throw it out there: Pawmo. We quickly touched on it when talking about Dundunsparce, but you know what, I think it deserves a special mention itself. Its just a Pawmi that's standing up; there is little visual difference between them... AND THEN IT EVOLVES AGAIN! But Pawmot has enough of a different look I'm okay with it. They could have just done Pawmi to Pawmot and it would have been fine, just increase Pawmi's stats to Pawmo's (maybe take away like 5 points from each stat, be equal to Pikachu's BST at that point). There's no reason to have that middle evolution. Pawmo adds nothing, it just has the audacity of after evolving from leveling up to go "okay, now walk be 1000 steps via Go to get your TRUE reward". Reller and Bramblin also had the stupid 1000 steps via Go evolution mechanic but at the very least they did it from their basic stage to final stage.

I generally don't like to talk shit on Pokémon but man, this guy is UGLY.
Also, let's be very clear. Because yes, this is a game for children, but that ball is not "sand and psychic energy". It's based on a very specific beetle and in-game the ball grows into a living thing. You don't grow anything on sand, you grow it with...fertilizer. That's fertilizer it's carrying around everywhere, which means if you catch it, you're carrying that everywhere and having it at the table during picnics etc.

I don't actually really hate any Pokemon

tho the only one I would lean towards disliking is Veluza (or as I like to call it, "The goofy aah feesh"). It just dashes after you way too quickly in the water (even faster than Sharpedo in Sword and Shield in the isle of armor) but it has a base speed of only 70 (I know it's because Fillet Away doubles speed but the speed should at least be 75 or something). Speaking of it's stats, they're terrible! The only decent one is the attack at base 102 and base 90 HP but everything else is just mediocre. Just another gimmick Pokemon that isn't gonna be remembered in a couple years. Though I guess it does have a nice shiny but that's about it.

tl;dr version: I don't hate any of them but I only mildly dislike Veluza for a couple of reasons.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I am genuinely shocked to be reading up on some of these threads again only to find that I haven’t talked about Kingdra yet.

:xy/kingdra: :sm/kingdra:

…wait a second. Not those ones. These Kingdra.

:gs/kingdra: :rs/kingdra: :dp/kingdra: :bw/kingdra:

That’s better. Two generations before the resident space deity Palkia was introduced, Kanto’s Horsea and Seadra had received a second evolution bearing a new type combination and a balanced base stat distribution. The lower power level of older generations in tandem with the lack of the Fairy-Type quickly presented itself as an issue, as eighth-tier Gym Leaders and other important Trainers started spamming the daylights out of what I still, after all these years, consider to be my least favorite and most annoying Pokémon to fight against.

In recent years, my annoyance with Kingdra has only ever gotten worse. It’s bad enough that prior to Gen 6 it only had one weakness that was also one of its own types that beats it. But it wasn’t just the famous Kingdra used by the Gym Leader combination of Clair and Juan that I find annoying. It also made itself annoying to me in the Pokémon Ranger series, as well as in the Pokémon World Tournament in Black & White 2 and in Pokémon Go’s battle leagues on occasion. I’ve even lost to some Kingdra teams on Pokémon Showdown before whenever I felt like hopping on and grinding out some games on ladder. No matter where I went, no matter what happened, this little brat was always there to ruin my day.

Also Kingdra matches my height at 5’11”, and the idea of finding a draconic sea creature this tall that I already hate going up against in fictional video games is genuinely terrifying to think about

Bonus Fun Fact: I’ve had opportunities to play through Pokémon Emerald before but never decided to finish any of those attempts- solely because I didn’t want to fight Juan and Drake’s Kingdra in Gen 3.

Last edited:

Arctibax is such a cool Pokemon. It's a fusion of two of my favorite dinosaurs, Spinosuarus and Therizinosaurus. With it's sail, beak, and long claws, it is pretty great, and I can't wait to see it's final evolution!

Oh.
It pretty much ignores those dinosaurs for a purely Godzilla design.
Baxcalibur isn't bad, but it had so much wasted potential.

Bonus Fun Fact: I’ve had opportunities to play through Pokémon Emerald before but never decided to finish any of those attempts- solely because I didn’t want to fight Juan and Drake’s Kingdra in Gen 3.
Pokemon developers: QUICK WE NEED AN ARBITRAILY DIFFICULT POKEMON INSTEAD OF ACTUALLY MAKING SOMETHING REASONABLY DIFFICULT

KiNgDrA!

also, it makes an appearance in Ardos's story team in XD, though I'd honestly say it's the least threatening on that team (Zam and Heracross are scarier, Snorlax is well Snorlax with Shadow End and the others have high Speed and Shadow Half).

1675885261302.png

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I am genuinely shocked to be reading up on some of these threads again only to find that I haven’t talked about Kingdra yet.

:xy/kingdra: :sm/kingdra:

…wait a second. Not those ones. These Kingdra.

:gs/kingdra: :rs/kingdra: :dp/kingdra: :bw/kingdra:

That’s better. Two generations before the resident space deity Palkia was introduced, Kanto’s Horsea and Seadra had received a second evolution bearing a new type combination and a balanced base stat distribution. The lower power level of older generations in tandem with the lack of the Fairy-Type quickly presented itself as an issue, as eighth-tier Gym Leaders and other important Trainers started spamming the daylights out of what I still, after all these years, consider to be my least favorite and most annoying Pokémon to fight against.

In recent years, my annoyance with Kingdra has only ever gotten worse. It’s bad enough that prior to Gen 6 it only had one weakness that was also one of its own types that beats it. But it wasn’t just the famous Kingdra used by the Gym Leader combination of Clair and Juan that I find annoying. It also made itself annoying to me in the Pokémon Ranger series, as well as in the Pokémon World Tournament in Black & White 2 and in Pokémon Go’s battle leagues on occasion. I’ve even lost to some Kingdra teams on Pokémon Showdown before whenever I felt like hopping on and grinding out some games on ladder. No matter where I went, no matter what happened, this little brat was always there to ruin my day.

Also Kingdra matches my height at 5’11”, and the idea of finding a draconic sea creature this tall that I already hate going up against in fictional video games is genuinely terrifying to think about

The biggest problem comes from either Smoke Screen or Double Team on each Kingdra for each important boss trainer. As such, I doubt that Fairy would change much if it were introduced alongside Steel and Dark, because Super Effective moves may not manner if you can’t hit it at all.

As for me, I got another nominatee for Worst Pokémon Ever.

:sv/rhyperior:
Thay won’t come to be a surprise to some, but there’s a reason why you don’t give an evolution to an already fantastic Pokémon without expending on it’s design in a good way. There are two principal reasons why it became the least favorite cross-gen evolution for many, even if it wasn’t really worse than Electivire competitive-wise.

1) Design. This is an obvious one. While I myself isn’t too bothered by this design, I can see why people call this species out for being both overdesigned and failing to emulate Rhydon’s kaijulike structure, making Rhyperior coming off as unpleasing to look at.

2) Statline. By far the laziest stat distribution when compared to Rhydon. It sounds petty at first, but it’s something to consider since not all evolutions raise all stats; some reduce certain stats in order to have a more optimized stat distribution without inflating the BST beyond 550 / 555 BST.

Rhyperior’s case? All it does is to add +10 Base Stat to all of Rhydon’s stats except Speed. Even Special Attack, where it don’t really need to use. It wouldn’t be so bad if Rhyperior don’t have it’s Special Attack raised and maybe have Speed reduced a lottle bit in favor of more Defense or Special Defense (preferably Special Defense). That way, it would give players a reason to use Rhyperior over Eviolite Rhydon for in-game runs.

Guy with annoying name

Banned deucer.
Everyone knows how awful Magikarp is until it evolves. But I see Feebas get talked about way less often, though given how it isn't nearly as widespread as Magikarp throughout the series, I see why. I mean as a Pokemon it is pretty alright, but in terms of battling, it's just a slightly, and I repeat slightly, better Magikarp. Like Magikarp, all stats but speed are so low that it's comical, and good luck taking advantage of that 80 speed which is great for a first form mon when it's stats are just magikarp's with the defensive stats swapped. If you're thinking of using this in your playthrough, hope you got a prism scale and someone to trade with available, as not only are it's stats atrocious, but it has the same level up movepool of Magikarp that consists of splash, tackle, and flail. Now, unlike Magikarp, it does have a decent selection of TMs, with moves like surf or ice beam, but there's two problems. One, it's stats are atrocious, so good luck taking advantage of them, and two, it is only water, ice and normal moves, that's it. No stat buffing moves to make it less terrible aside from the absurdly common double team, and toxic is the only way to use this thing to damage without relying on it's pitiful stats aside from hail, which I think I don't need to explain why you won't use that on this.

I understand that this thing is kinda supposed to suck in terms of battling, and yeah Milotic absolutely does not suck, being a great defensive wall which can do decent damage both passively and aggressively, alongside recover, but unless you got a prism scale and someone to trade with available, this thing is horrible incarnate, just being Magikarp but slightly better. Also, it is insanely hard to get in gen 3 and 4, and even in games where it's easier to get like the gen 7 games it isn't exactly easy to get. So if you're thinking of using this for an intentionally bad team as a challenge... Good luck finding it.

Last edited:
Everyone knows how awful Magikarp is until it evolves. But I see Feebas get talked about way less often, though given how it isn't nearly as widespread as Magikarp throughout the series, I see why. I mean as a Pokemon it is pretty alright, but in terms of battling, it's just a slightly, and I repeat slightly, better Magikarp. Like Magikarp, all stats but speed are so low that it's comical, and good luck taking advantage of that 80 speed which is great for a first form mon when it's stats are just magikarp's with the defensive stats swapped. If you're thinking of using this in your playthrough, hope you got a priit. scale and someone to trade with available, as not only are it's stats atrocious, but it has the same level up movepool of Magikarp that consists of splash, tackle, and flail. Now, unlike Magikarp, it does have a decent selection of TMs, with moves like surf or ice beam, but there's two problems. One, it's stats are atrocious, so good luck taking advantage of them, and two, it is only water, ice and normal moves, that's it. No stat buffing moves to make it less terrible aside from the absurdly common double team, and toxic is the only way to use this thing to damage without relying on it's pitiful stats aside from hail, which I think I don't need to explain why you won't use that on this.

I understand that this thing is kinda supposed to suck in terms of battling, and yeah Milotic absolutely does not suck, being a great defensive wall which can do decent damage both passively and aggressively, alongside recover, but unless you got a prism scale and someone to trade with available, this thing is horrible incarnate, just being Magikarp but slightly better. Also, it is insanely hard to get in gen 3 and 4, and even in games where it's easier to get like the gen 7 games it isn't exactly easy to get. So if you're thinking of using this for an intentionally bad team as a challenge... Good luck finding it.
I almost feel like Feebas being effectively impossible to stumble upon ends up rendering its actual unevolved stats moot. You can reasonably encounter Magikarp at ~level 8, when you might not even have an Exp share to passively get it to where it learns an attacking move. Meanwhile, you will almost certainly have all the things needed to evolve Feebas by the time you start the odyssey required to catch one.

:sv/wugtrio:
fucking wugtrio. convergent species are already super lazy and lame (rip regional variants) but at least toedscool and its evo have neat designs. i cannot say the same thing about bwc and 3 hot dogs. its also horrendous competitively. sure gholdengo looks hideous but at least i can have fun using it, ig. this is the bottom of the barrel.
Wugtrio is so bad it merits a higher BST than Dugtrio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)