Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Here's my start on Mega Gyarados. It still requires a lot more fine tuning and a lot of tweaking on the cheek fins but I've got some of the head done. (The red won't be there on the finished product it's just a guideline for me to draw the whiskers)

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the Mega Gyarados sprite. I probably wont do much more than this until more images are released but until then I'll just keep working with what I've got and see if I can improve on it.

ito: You don't need to stop. Just be aware that we will accept what we consider the best sprite/animation regardless of how much effort you put in. It won't be considered good until it's on par with pre-existing animated sprites, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

Did some QC on Goomy with a back sprite, and I changed the palette to match the other sprites. Also made some minor changes to sliggoo and goodra
Legitimate Username: You're welcome to animate these, but I would hold off until we get some better references and sugimori art, because these sprites definitely aren't 100% accurate.
EDIT: also i'm going to replace FFFFFF with F8F8F8 once I'm finished nvm
EDIT2: Made a back sprite for Sliggoo and the lighting/shading is REALLY awkward, especially on the antennae. I'll touch this up once I get a reference. also idk what his butt looks like.
replaced goomy with layell's edit

Last edited:
Hi I found this thread a little while back and just finished reading through it. I have a bit of spriting experience, been doing it on and off since like gen 3. I can try to help QC things if you need... Also I'd love to help out with shinies and gender differences once they are revealed, I'm sure I can help with that sort of thing. I think this project is awesome by the way, keep up the great work everyone! These sprites look fantastic.

Watch your stuff Luigi I'm not using either of those Noscium sprites, and as well I'm not sure you're Barbacle eye edit helps with visibility.
Well I thought it's ok since:
If people want to help out but everything's reserved, you can QC (Quality Control) and edit sprites to a higher quality, or attempt to make a better set of sprites than the current.
About Barbaracle... look at this: http://images.kpopstarz.com/data/images/full/2013/10/08/109167-barbaracle-photo-credit-twitter.jpg

You clearly see that his main face isn't just an eye. It's something weird. I know my edits didn't make his face more visible, but it corrected the one-eye thing.

I can understand Garchomp since you already have one animated, but Aero...

You have this afaik:

If you really insist on using that sprite (which is his (imo horrible) D/P/Pt dog-face look), then at least consider my edits to it:

Still looks weird compared to Nosciums, but I'm not that great at doing stuff that I cannot see...

We may end up doing some minor changes to charizard x so if it's minor your work won't be put to waste.

Anyways I realized Mewtwo Y was way too big, it's supposed to be the size of Heracross so I systematically shrunk the sprite

Mewtwo, Y current, Y modified, X, Heracross

I'm only counting head to foot and not the tail. The most important thing I feel is that Mewtwo Y does looks smaller than regular version, which I feel this sprite does now.

So Wyv if you like it too we can add this one to the animation ready stuff.
hey layell I was looking at some sprites and noticed pangoro looked a little big so I compared it to ursaring and it was bigger it than to groudon and was still bigger then groudon
compare.png

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok so just to make sure I know what your saying, I could keep working on making it smoother but if there are changes to the sprite I would have to accommodate for them. Or are you saying to just hold off on finishing it up until the sprite is ready?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm keeping this short cause I'm in class.

I enjoy using the same sprite when possible for mega formes, along with same colours. The form will change in game so we have to consider this. I'll look at your edits in depth

Groundon isn't really a fair comparison. Height isn't set in stone with genv sprites and once you go over 7 feet things get crazy. Pangoro is similar in size to Garchomp so it's fine.

Hold off ito, do ones we say are ready as shown on the chart. Take this first animation as a learning experience so you can get better with the next ones. I can't promise how much a sprite may change until then.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
My Mega Gengar pre-coloring. I feel it needs a smoother connection between its back spikes and main body, but I have no idea how to go about it. Any and all ideas for how to make this look better are much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 5.34.49 PM.png

EDIT: Got a larger image and a lighter purple

Last edited:
My Mega Gengar pre-coloring. I feel it needs a smoother connection between its back spikes and main body, but I have no idea how to go about it. Any and all ideas for how to make this look better are much appreciated!

View attachment 2018

Hey really nice keep up the work!

For the connection between the spikes and the back, I think it will be much better when it'll be shaded and fully coloured.
How I would do it, in my opinion, is just do a complete back (you know, a line that separates the back from the spikes. Then, shade the spikes and colour them as in the actual 3d model.
Something like that: (but much better)

Attachments

View attachment 2018
Some of the edges and curves look really rough. I don't see why there needs to be so many squared out pixels on the hands, for example. And on our left side, the bottom of the body looks not round enough to me. The indent between the center and left (our left) head spikes looks a bit off. Overall I think it looks okay but it's hard to say without seeing it shaded first. It's just those few weird pixels that throw me off, anyway.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Layell
Very well. Ill hold off on mega charizard x until its sprite ready. However, I would like to hold on to the reservation for it until then. I know the rules say that the reservation goes away after a week of no progress but since theres no way I could do that, I hope youll let me hold on to it anyway. So in the mean time, I guess ill give animating tyrantrum a shot since it looks like noone claimed it. Problem is that it has the wrong sprite attached to its name in the chart (prob should fix that chart) so as soon as I can find out which sprite is the right one I'll get started on that.

The Jaiho
I think you should shrink the sprite down to the right size now before you do anything else. That way the coloring wont shift when you resize it later..

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

View attachment 2018
It's a good start and I like it, but that line on the viewer's left side is a bit jagged...I would just smooth the entire line out by bringing the curve one pixel further out. Like instead of erasing the extra lines, just fill the gaps between them to form one solid extra line. You get what I mean, right? Also the "hands" (Idk what to make of them) seem to be a little bit more jagged and wide than how you drew them...and the "arms" themselves don't actually bend, but they're straight. However the base of the arm is narrow and gets progressively wider along to the "Hand". Last but not least I would also curve the body a bit more past the smile, make the angle a bit more sharp than it is. I'm just going off this reference picture:

Anyways, I hope you can get what I'm saying, lol. And hope it helps

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
I think you should shrink the sprite down to the right size now before you do anything else. That way the coloring wont shift when you resize it later..
This is just a screenshot of the sprite at 400%, not the sprite itself. Sorry for being unclear in my post.

It's a good start and I like it, but that line on the viewer's left side is a bit jagged...I would just smooth the entire line out by bringing the curve one pixel further out. Like instead of erasing the extra lines, just fill the gaps between them to form one solid extra line. You get what I mean, right? Also the "hands" (Idk what to make of them) seem to be a little bit more jagged and wide than how you drew them...and the "arms" themselves don't actually bend, but they're straight. However the base of the arm is narrow and gets progressively wider along to the "Hand". Last but not least I would also curve the body a bit more past the smile, make the angle a bit more sharp than it is. I'm just going off this reference picture:

Anyways, I hope you can get what I'm saying, lol. And hope it helps
Thanks, this is super helpful! I actually haven't seen this picture, and almost solely based the front facing view, which misleadingly makes it look a lot slimmer. Thanks so much!

Just want to let you know, you seem to have a few off-white pixels by the left hand (our right). You might wanna fix that up.Also, if you want, maybe try something similar to this for the awkward pixels I mentioned? It's just something I did in a couple minutes, I just find it easier to explain stuff when I show it. Though maybe you want to also extend the base of the body back a bit, to show for the depth of the figure. Just some suggestions. =)
mega gengar edit.png

I enjoy using the same sprite when possible for mega formes, along with same colours. The form will change in game so we have to consider this. I'll look at your edits in depth
Okay then it is more understandable for me.
Although they just change colors in the real game too, so I don't see the problem with it. The other Mega Aerodactyl also had like 19 different colors btw (although 2 were almost the same black), I fixed that in my edit too.

View attachment 2018
Looks good, but one thing that's bugging me is that the left side of his body is a little upwards, and the right side a little more down, hope you know what I mean (this is not what's bugging me). Anyway his left eye is lower though than his right eye which looks really weird.
I think it'd look better if you'd put it up one or maybe 2 pixels. (one looks better, if 2 the mouth would need to be adjusted as well)

There are some good sprites on the list but some aren't ready for the animation step yet.
So that means any sprite that wasn't given the OK is not good enough? D:
I had gotten so pumped up with my attempt at mega blaziken and all that i had an early animation done:

Colors are a mess since i just merged the frames using a cheap browser app.
I was working on merging the animated sprites with the body sprites when i saw the "L ready" and "W ready" stuff. Should i go ahead?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Im guessing this tyrantrum sprite is the right one? It matches the back sprite in the chart but I wanna double check.

So that means any sprite that wasn't given the OK is not good enough? D:
I had gotten so pumped up with my attempt at mega blaziken and all that i had an early animation done:

Colors are a mess since i just merged the frames using a cheap browser app.
I was working on merging the animated sprites with the body sprites when i saw the "L ready" and "W ready" stuff. Should i go ahead?
This is actually really nice lol, I just would've liked more movement from the other leg and the arms. You know what I'm saying?

Are the final animations going to be done with cheap browser apps? Or is someone gonna redo them in Photoshop or something? I like the animation but wouldn't it be better to animate it in a proper program?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are the final animations going to be done with cheap browser apps? Or is someone gonna redo them in Photoshop or something? I like the animation but wouldn't it be better to animate it in a proper program?
That one's up to the animators and whether Wyverii and Layell both agree to the quality being put out. But more likely than not someone's gonna be using Photoshop for it or something other than a cheap browser app as you say

Is it safe to start doing starter final evolutions? cuz they're not confirmed yet, just leaked. Also I'm not necessarily saying I should do them just wondering.

Also, I for one, was not quite happy with the Chespin sprite. I did a slightly edited version. I thought he looked a bit too chubby and I didn't love the facial expression. Of course you don't have to use mine, but I think it looks more like Chespin.
Original
chespin edit.png
Edit

P.S. I don't know how to do a transparent background in paint...so yeah.

Last edited:
Is it safe to start doing starter final evolutions? cuz they're not confirmed yet, just leaked. Also I'm not necessarily saying I should do them just wondering.
I don't see why not. Most of the other Pokemon that have sprites already got leaked as well, not to mention someone already made a Chestnaught sprite.

View attachment 2028 Edit

P.S. I don't know how to do a transparent background in paint...so yeah.
Made it transparent for you. Photoshop FTW.
transparent chespin.png

BTW if anyone needs something to be made transparent or whatever, I can do that. I know other people probably can really easily too but I figure I'd offer since I have Photoshop on my computer but hardly get to use it for much. lol

I can make the animations transparent if anyone wants me to as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)