XY Pokémon Models

I actually like most of the models I've seen so far. I think Pokémon made the 3D leap rather well. Some thoughts about a few that stood out.

Models I liked:
Gardevoir: I always liked Gardevoir's design, but I love how elegant and numinous it looks here.
Absol: For some reason I like its more rounded face better. Also its fangs in Amie. It's pretty cute.
Gengar: Look at that shit-eating grin in Amie.
Rotom: The way it jitters about while attacking is just crazy.
Roselia: It looks so non-chalant (or enchanted?). I find it rather fitting.
Zigzagoon: Love its zigzag attacking animation.
Mr. Mime: Great animation but... why? Just why?
Spinda: Looks so drunk and dizzy, it's hilarious.
Aegislash: Its one of my favourite designs from Gen 6. What I love the most is the animation when it changes stance.
Mawile: I love you so much. <3

Models that disappointed me;
Skarmory: It just floats there. Its figure is too indistinct from the angle you're seeing it.
Delphox: Its official art is great, but its model is so ugly. Why is it's head so tiny?
Purrloin: It's standing on two legs why...?
Scyther: It looked much more intimidating in DPPt.
Gliscor: Again, another thing that just floats. I get that it's supposed to be gliding, but from the angle you're looking at it, it doesn't look like that at all.
Azumarill: Its face looks really stupid. I liked how cheerful it was in BW better.

I actually like most of the models I've seen so far. I think Pokémon made the 3D leap rather well. Some thoughts about a few that stood out.

Models I liked:
Gardevoir: I always liked Gardevoir's design, but I love how elegant and numinous it looks here.
Absol: For some reason I like its more rounded face better. Also its fangs in Amie. It's pretty cute.
Gengar: Look at that shit-eating grin in Amie.
Rotom: The way it jitters about while attacking is just crazy.
Roselia: It looks so non-chalant (or enchanted?). I find it rather fitting.
Zigzagoon: Love its zigzag attacking animation.
Mr. Mime: Great animation but... why? Just why?
Spinda: Looks so drunk and dizzy, it's hilarious.
Aegislash: Its one of my favourite designs from Gen 6. What I love the most is the animation when it changes stance.
Mawile: I love you so much. <3

Models that disappointed me;
Skarmory: It just floats there. Its figure is too indistinct from the angle you're seeing it.
Delphox: Its official art is great, but its model is so ugly. Why is it's head so tiny?
Purrloin: It's standing on two legs why...?
Scyther: It looked much more intimidating in DPPt.
Gliscor: Again, another thing that just floats. I get that it's supposed to be gliding, but from the angle you're looking at it, it doesn't look like that at all.
Azumarill: Its face looks really stupid. I liked how cheerful it was in BW better.
m8 it's canon. the anime made it look a lot better though

This thread makes me want to play colosseum/xd, they had (mostly) godlike 3d models
I respectfully disagree. While some of the Pokemon models in X/Y are a letdown, the vast majority of them look great. The 3rd-gen Pokemon models in Colosseum were good by gamecube standards, but they look rather rough around the edges compared to the smooth, seamless Pokemon models in X/Y. But the main problem with Colosseum/XD is the fact that the 1st and 2nd gen pokemon were just recycled Nintendo 64 models. They were horribly blocky, jagged, blurry-textured, and primitive and looked totally out of place alongside the 3rd-gen models, and even more out of place in Pokemon Battle Revolution (where only a handful of old pokemon got revamped).

Back on the topic of X/Y, though, I finally got an Arcanine and I have to say, while Growlithe looks fine, I feel that Arcanine's model looks off somehow. Its face doesn't match up well to the way it looks in the anime or trading cards, and I think it's because the white fluff around the head is a little TOO poofy. The head and chest kind of merge into a puffy white blob lacking the definition I've come to expect. The snout shouldn't look so short, and the head shouldn't look so wide. If I recall, Arcanine's model in Pokedex 3D Pro had the same issue, and I suspect that many of the pokemon models in X/Y are modified versions of the models they had in Pokedex 3D Pro.

On the other hand, Grimer and Muk look fantastic. The sludge flows and drips and their attack animations really emphasize Grimer/Muk's amorphous, stretchy qualities.

Last edited:
Wailord is too small.

That's it. I love everything else. I don't really understand the complaints (except for things that aren't a body part like smoke or flames. Those could be better).

Ferrothorn is so much more boring when it's rooted to the ground.
Both Ferroseed and Ferrothorn's XY sprites look like crap. :I Ferroseed just sits there completely inert in XY, whereas in the Gen V games, it was spinning like a high-speed top, which was ironic because it's super frigging slow! And Ferrothorn looked so much more intimidating when its' tendrils made it look as though it was hanging down from a ceiling, spitting damaging spikes and bird-crushing rocks everywhere. Now? Now it looks like a spiny Doctor Octopus reject. :(

A lot of the evolved flying types look really awkward to me. For instance, Taillow's model and animations look far better than Swellow's; Swellow just looks like he's attached to invisible cables in the sky. I half expect him to be dressed in Peter Pan regalia whenever I throw him out.

Pretty much every Pokemon looks gorgeous in Amie, though. I was really surprised at how cute Barboach is when you play with him. <3

SERVIIIIIIIIIIIINE

It has this awesome run-in-circle animation when it does a special attack. Really gives it a serpentine feel, even when it still has legs.

Its Amie happiness animation is the same thing but it raises its head at the end and cries happily. SO CUTE OMG.

SERVIIIIIIIIIIIINE

It has this awesome run-in-circle animation when it does a special attack. Really gives it a serpentine feel, even when it still has legs.

Its Amie happiness animation is the same thing but it raises its head at the end and cries happily. SO CUTE OMG.

How did you get pokebank pokemon?

398.png

Staraptor has always been one of my favs from Gen 4, and imo it looks really badass with its wings spread out like that.

373.png

Reminds me a lot of Salamence's pose from Colosseum / XD. I really like this for some reason.

112.png

Rhydon looks like its ready to fight all the time, at least to me. :)

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party as I just got a 3DS, but was wondering if anyone else was surprised at how small Goodra is? Based on the artwork I expected it to be at least the size of Dragonite but it looks tiny in this battle.

I'm a little late to the party as I just got a 3DS, but was wondering if anyone else was surprised at how small Goodra is? Based on the artwork I expected it to be at least the size of Dragonite but it looks tiny in this battle.

It's just the ingame graphics engine. Really big mons are shrunk down in scale. Ever seen a Wailord yet? It looks absolutely average when it should be taking up most of the screen.

It's just the ingame graphics engine. Really big mons are shrunk down in scale. Ever seen a Wailord yet? It looks absolutely average when it should be taking up most of the screen.
Actually yeah, I just saw one like yesterday. I wasn't shocked by that as I had read that it wasn't very big, and I was curious if it was something like you described or if it was just the scaling of the background that was fooling me. That bridge looks huge in comparison to the monsters. Maybe Goodra looks bigger on Wi-Fi?

EDIT @ Directly Below: Oh I was agreeing with you that it was in-game scaling. All I meant was when I saw it I was thinking "maybe it looks weird due to the bridge looking massive." But yeah, I get the scaling think you're talking about.

Last edited:
Actually yeah, I just saw one like yesterday. I wasn't shocked by that as I had read that it wasn't very big, and I was curious if it was something like you described or if it was just the scaling of the background that was fooling me. That bridge looks huge in comparison to the monsters. Maybe Goodra looks bigger on Wi-Fi?
Wailord is 47 ft while Goodra is 6 ft. Put them right next to each other ingame and Wailord is only slightly bigger than Goodra. It's the graphics engine. And the background scaling is weird in some areas.

I really like Slugma and Magcargo. Both of them have the "magma" on the surface of their bodies "moving" which gives them a really cool looking effect.

As for complaints, I don't have any specific Pokémon. My only complaints are the sizes. And the bleached out coloring.

All the 6"+ Pokémon all look the same exact size. And 9/10 their color scheme is lighter than it's ALWAYS been. Even the Kalos 'mon look lighter in-game than they do in the anime or the official artwork. That's not right at all.

But aside from that, I love the XY models as much as I love the Pokédex For iOS/Pokédex 3D models.

I'm really disappointed with Drapion's 3D model.

His 2D sprite looks cool, but in 3D he kinda has weird body part proportions.
That's how I feel about Musharna. Its official design is cute to me, but its 3D model (both in XY and Pokedex 3D Pro) looks badly misproportioned. Specifically, the back of the head on the 3D model is enormous, like this huge hump jutting out of its back. It doesn't look good and it doesn't match the proportions of the art/sprites/anime Musharna at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)