Your first Pokemon game

What was your first Pokemon game?

• Total voters
I'm curious to know:

A) What your first Pokemon game was?

B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?)

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?

The purpose of this is mostly for seeing how many players come from each generation, and if there's a certain generation that is especially active on Smogon. From what I can personally tell, most players are either 1st or 4th gens. Quite the gap, so I wanted to get some more accurate statistics. Plus hearing stories about your first game is exciting :D

My first game was Diamond when I was in elementary school, chose Piplup for starter, Empoleon and Sinnoh will always be my favourite starter/region. My favourite game would have to be Platinum though, cause for a directors cut thingy, they added A LOT, especially to the story and places you could go, which I loved. Plus that was the game I caught Darkrai and Shaman on for the first time by Action Replaying in the special events. Girantina Origin form and the Distortion World were also just so, so cool.
When I first started playing, I didn't understand that you only needed 1 of each Pokemon. But I had one hell of a Bidoof collection, so not a total loss... More or less...

Last edited:
I started playing Pokémon at around the time Ruby and Sapphire were released. I was living in Japan at the time and I finally got a Gameboy SP, but I was sharing it with my sister. We got both versions for our birthdays; she got Ruby and I got Sapphire. I thought it was weird that her game was red and somewhat transparent and mine was just the logo sticker stuck to a regular grey game cartridge. Took me almost ten years to figure out that I had the buggy pirated version that would stop saving after one month. How the hell does this happen to games sold on Navy bases? Anyway, we would share Ruby for a year or so before my sis got bored with Pokémon entirely. It was all mine by then. I always thought that your starter had to be on your team at all times. I also had a real hard time playing because I only caught five other Pokémon, all found within the first few routes in the game. Took me forever to beat Steven damn you EV's, but I loved Hoenn since. This may be the one time I actually buy both versions of the a remake.

Now that I think about it, Ruby/Sapphire might not have been my first game. I never bought the original Gold version, but I think I remember how I got it. It was around the same time I started with RS. Still in Japan; in this place called Nimitz Park, there was a party for some kid whose parents were friends with my parents. Naturally I was invited. However, the birthday kid was whining and complaining so badly in front of everyone because he lost his game. It was really terrible; I couldn't eat my slice of cake in peace (not eating wasn't going to help). I decided to move away from the action. I sat on a bench so that I could barely overhear what was going on. But I felt something under my left foot when I sat down. It was the Pokémon Gold version. The kid's mother saw me pick it up. I will never forget what she did next. While she was holding her son, she looked at me, then down to her son, then at me again. She mouthed "Take it" with such dramatic clarity I could almost hear sound. That kid ruined the rest of the party, but I had a pretty good day. Had some cake and got a new game. I checked his save file and it turns out he had a bunch of level 100's and he had completed almost every aspect of the game. I didn't know how much effort he put into the game until recently. Makes me proud I got bored and deleted his stuff the day after.

Heh, first game was crystal. I'm not sure I'd say it's my favourite (You reach the E4 really underlevelled and grinding is a pain, not to mention that you can't catch a lot of pokemon until post E4 when Kanto opens up), but it does have that nostalgia going for it.

For some reason it took me ages to work out how to get past the Sudowoodo, and all the while I was battling wild pokemon- to the point where I got a Typhlosion before making it past the Sudowoodo

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My very first game was FireRed, when I was like 8 years old (I am 18 now). I remember being at my cousin's house playing his Ruby or Sapphire version on his GBA when my dad said we had to go home. I was ready to go, but I guess to him it looked like I wanted to stay and play because he said "Let's go, I'll buy you your own." It was an accident but I was definitely glad for it, lol. A few days later we went to Best Buy and I got a GBA SP and FireRed version and it was a blast. All the kids at school played Pokemon too so we would talk about it all lunch and then pretend to be Pokemon at recess, lmao it was the best.

FireRed is actually not my favorite game though, SoulSilver wins that one. By some miracle I almost have more nostalgia for a game I played in 2012 than the one I played in 2004. I've mentioned this in a ton of my posts before but playing SoulSilver made me a Pokemon lover again and got me into Smogon and competitive battling. Yeah, I don't want to just repeat myself so here's an old post with everything I want to say in it.

As for the last question...this doesn't really have to do with the gameplay itself, but it was definitely very funny and something I did here.

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
A) Pokémon Red

B) No, I like Johto, though I would like to see it remade again in X/Y style, or even B/W but I know we're past that.

C) I had never played an RPG before so the whole thing was a new concept to me. I couldn't figure out what to do in Pallet Town and wandered around for a while trying to get my first monster. Eventually my sister tried leaving town and Oak showed up.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Erugh... All these new people. Get with the program.

Red was my first game way back in 1999. I saved for weeks on my teeny allowance for doing chores until I could finally buy the game. Played it till it literally died... Internal battery gave up the ghost and that was that. For some reason, my brothers Blue version still works correctly, and I still have access to Pokemon on it.

It's not even close to being my favourite. Gold (or the remake) takes that title by a mile. There are so many things wrong with the first Gen, from glitches to strange happenings to crappy movepools etc. Honestly, we are horribly spoilt now in terms of what we have available to us. I don't know how Kadew managed to go back and Nuzlocke gen 1... Cause whenever I go back to play Stadium or something now on those game I feel so dirty... The movepools etc are so all over the place.

I don't really remember anything I did badly or flatout wrong in a game... I got the basics pretty quickly and went from there. I think the stupidest thing I did was not buy items a lot of the time, limited bag space etc I couldnt be bothered... I ended up with my back against a wall more often than not :P

My first game was Pokemon Red and I think I was five or six years old at the time. I would never have had the luxury of a game back then if my family didn't get discount coupons when our ferry was delayed. They had to be spent on the ferry itself so my parents bought me a Game Boy and Pokemon Red. I was already a big fan of the Pokemon anime back then (I still get jokes about knowing all 151 Pokemon before knowing all 26 letters) so getting the game made my six-year-old life complete. I didn't know that you were just supposed to have six Pokemon in your team - I actually got extra Pokemon to cover all type weaknesses and spent ages before every gym level grinding.

I didn't get another Pokemon game again until my brother bought a DS lite in 2008 along with Soul Silver and Heart Gold. I played Soul Silver because Lugia was my favourite legendary (one summer, I watched Lugia's movie every single morning until school began and he's still my favourite) and I've played every single Pokemon game since.

I only got into competitive battling this gen though. When XY was first announced, I kinda felt like I'd been waiting for graphics this amazing before I'd really get into the game. My favourite game is still SS though, and Platinum's storyline holds a very special place in my heart too.

My story is long and complicated. I was five when Red and Blue came out and I was a huge Pokémon fan. Only problem: I didn't have a Game Boy. Years went by and eventually, I stopped watching the anime (once Brock and Misty left, it just wasn't as good anymore). A couple of months after this, Christmas 2003, I got my first handheld: a Game Boy Advance SP. If I had held out a little longer, I probably would have had a Pokémon game as one of my first Game Boy games. Cut to December of 2008. My cousin's old DS Lite's shoulder buttons were wearing out and he decided to just get a new one and he gave me the old one. After the release of Platinum, a lot of my friends at the card shop I would go to for Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments said I should get it. I was getting a bit nostalgic for Pokémon, so I got a copy of it the day before my birthday. I picked Chimchar as my starter and it was an amazing adventure for me. I actually turned 16 playing Platinum. I quickly got other games (including all three Gen I games so that Stadium would be much easier to play) and even an old busted DS to trade between my Gen IV (and later Gen V) games. I didn't get into competitive play until Black and White (thank you infinite use TMs!). I actually was nervous about future generations (in both during Gen IV and V) since I didn't have a 3DS, but about two weeks before the announcement of X and Y, another cousin gave me his old 3DS after he got himself a 3DS XL. I currently have both that 3DS and a Mario and Luigi XL along with both X and Y.
My favorite game is hard to choose cause I enjoy all of them, though I really liked both Black and Y. It might be X and Y since team building is so much easier now than it used to be.

Last edited:
My first game was Pokemon Emerald(tecnically it's was a pirate gold that I lost after even having a quilava so I consider emerald my first), and it's still my favorite game. I think that the most stupid thing I did was teaching 3 HMs to my Swampert(Surf, Waterfall and Dive) and grinding so much on Tv&Reporter that they stopped changing places(maybe a glitch?). I was very young and didn't know english(it's my second language) so I got lost all the time, ughh that clock, how was I supposed to know you have to adjust it T.T
I started playing competitive this year, my friends weren't good enough to offer me a challenge so i came here :)

Confirmed genwunner here, I've probably put as many hours into Pokemon Red as any video game I've ever played (naturally, because I had a lot of free time and not many games as a kid).

It's not even close to being my favourite. Gold (or the remake) takes that title by a mile. There are so many things wrong with the first Gen, from glitches to strange happenings to crappy movepools etc. Honestly, we are horribly spoilt now in terms of what we have available to us. I don't know how Kadew managed to go back and Nuzlocke gen 1... Cause whenever I go back to play Stadium or something now on those game I feel so dirty... The movepools etc are so all over the place.
RBY is not a polished game by modern standards, but you know what, let's look at other long-runners and see their first efforts from a modern perspective:

Super Mario Bros: you can't run backwards, let alone have any sort of level select or save game. You can glitch through walls and into the Minus World. And let's not forget those areas in Bowser's castle that looped indefinitely if you took the wrong path. Mediocre programming or necessary corner-cutting is one thing but that's just bad level design.

The Legend of Zelda: there's no large-scale sense of direction in this game at all. It's pretty much impossible for a modern gamer fresh to the game to beat this game without some kind of strategy guide due to all the cryptic bullshit going on.

Final Fantasy: the level curve is really out of kilter. You'll spend most of your time grinding, and comparatively little solving puzzles or advancing the game.

I think you should cut Pokemon Red and Blue some slack. Personally for me, all those glitches, of which new ones are still being discovered today, just add to the charm. Speaking of which:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSz3ZxPzNw

Last edited:
Confirmed genwunner here, I've probably put as many hours into Pokemon Red as any video game I've ever played (naturally, because I had a lot of free time and not many games as a kid).

RBY is not a polished game by modern standards, but you know what, let's look at other long-runners and see their first efforts from a modern perspective:

Super Mario Bros: you can't run backwards, let alone have any sort of level select or save game. You can glitch through walls and into the Minus World. And let's not forget those areas in Bowser's castle that looped indefinitely if you took the wrong path. Mediocre programming or necessary corner-cutting is one thing but that's just bad level design.

The Legend of Zelda: there's no large-scale sense of direction in this game at all. It's pretty much impossible for a modern gamer fresh to the game to beat this game without some kind of strategy guide due to all the cryptic bullshit going on.

Final Fantasy: the level curve is really out of kilter. You'll spend most of your time grinding, and comparatively little solving puzzles or advancing the game.

I think you should cut Pokemon Red and Blue some slack. Personally for me, all those glitches, of which new ones are still being discovered today, just add to the charm. Speaking of which:

There's a difference between many older games such as Mario and Gen I. The original Pokémon games are a mess of glitches. Also, it's not fair to comment on save game in the original Mario. That feature wasn't available at the time. It wasn't until Metroid (Famicom)/The Legend of Zelda (NES) that is was possible to save a Nintendo game.
I'm not saying I hate Gen I, just saying that it isn't fair to compare a game from 1996 to games from the late 80's when things were still developing into what they are today.

There's a difference between many older games such as Mario and Gen I. The original Pokémon games are a mess of glitches. Also, it's not fair to comment on save game in the original Mario. That feature wasn't available at the time. It wasn't until Metroid (Famicom)/The Legend of Zelda (NES) that is was possible to save a Nintendo game.
I'm not saying I hate Gen I, just saying that it isn't fair to compare a game from 1996 to games from the late 80's when things were still developing into what they are today.
Well, clearly a save system could have been put into Super Mario Bros because plenty of NES games can be saved. There is no hardware limitation.

On my comparisons being unfair, many of my comments were on game design, and not technical aspects. You are also forgetting that Pokemon Red/Blue was released for the world's first portable gaming system (I'm not counting Game & Watch), so IMO it is fair to compare it to games on the world's first (post-crash) console. It is also fair to compare first instalments of different series.

In general, Red and Blue gets a lot of leeway in my book simply because of how much content was in the game was for the system it was on. That directly leads to programming shortcuts to save space on the cartridge, which in turn leads to glitches. This still happens today by the way: there were plenty of glitches in Skyrim at launch (okay, some were quickly patched, a luxury that Red and Blue didn't have), but people forgave the glitches because they got 300 hours of gameplay out of it.

Well, clearly a save system could have been put into Super Mario Bros because plenty of NES games can be saved. There is no hardware limitation.
There was a hardware limitation called "hadn't been figured out yet" (Super Mario Bros. came out in 1985 while Metroid came out in 1986). And even if it had, it likely wouldn't have been implemented. See, that was expensive to put in back in the day. That's actually why Metroid didn't have a save function in the international releases on the NES since it wasn't a giant hit in Japan originally. Plus, Mario's short enough that you really don't need a save system (it can be beaten in about ten minutes without glitches or save states).

On my comparisons being unfair, many of my comments were on game design, and not technical aspects. You are also forgetting that Pokemon Red/Blue was released for the world's first portable gaming system (I'm not counting Game & Watch), so IMO it is fair to compare it to games on the world's first (post-crash) console. It is also fair to compare first instalments of different series.
Not all the problems with Gen I are glitches. The special stat, critical hit ratio being based on speed, and Psychic-types were design flaws, not glitches. And they were big enough problems to be changed in Gen II. Now, things like not having a physical/special split I can forgive due to cart size.
Also, no, I didn't forget that Gen I was on the original Game Boy, but they still had the experience of past games to draw from where the NES didn't really have that advantage.
Once again, I love Gen I, but it's flaws are still huge, even for the time.

My first Pokemon game was technically Red, in 1999. I was just a wee one back then, and wanted the games because of the Pokemon anime. I was so young at the time that I couldn't read much, and got stuck in Viridian City because a grumpy, stubborn old man was LYING ON THE GROUND (melodramatic much?) until he had his daily coffee. I had no idea what to do to get past him. Pathetic, I know.

A little while later, Gold and Silver came out, and I decided to give Silver a shot. I still remember being amazed at how colourful and vibrant the Pokemon world had become (even though my only experience prior had been cut short by an caffeine obsessed old man). I managed to beat Silver eventually, only being stuck in Goldenrod for awhile, but honestly who wasn't with that satanic Miltank? At that point I had went back to Red, managed to figure out the error of my ways, and overcame that dastardly old man. I promptly beat the rest of the game.

Picking a favourite is difficult, as each gen had its charms. I suppose R/S/E would have to take that title, as by that point my reading skills were excellent and I had started to get a grasp on competitive Pokemon. Many of my fondest Pokemon memories are from Gen III.

Technically Blue, passed from my cousin to my sister to me. Then I rented Gold at my sisters request even though at that point I was like "These new Pokemon look stupid - they're running out of ideas!" I voted Sapphire however, as that was the first time I got a Pokemon game for myself and actually finished it.

Is Sapphire my favourite? Not quite. That would either be Emerald or White, depending on my mood. Emerald was like an improved version of Sapphire, whereas White had some of my favourite Pokemon and tried to experiment with its story, and also looked great.

When I first played Sapphire, I thought the tall grass on the very first route were of the "You need CUT to get past" type of tree, so I was struggling trying to figure out how to get past. I also reset the living crap out of those games simply because I couldn't decide on a Starter I actually liked enough to go through the whole game with. Hell, picking up my old Sapphire copy shows that last time I played I reset and chose Treecko in the very first town.

My first Pokemon game was Red. Good ole' Red. I got it when i was like 5 though, so I had things like Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Ember/Fire Spin Charizard and a Zapdos with Thundershock as its main move. Red isn't even close to my favorite game in the series though; its good for what it was, but its so terrible nowadays its hard to play. The originals did not age well at all lol. My favorite would have to be Black, since there were so many cool pokemon to get. That, and the story was pretty good, although a little predictable (Ghetsis being the true Big Bad? No fricking way!!! ;)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sapphire

Nope, SoulSilver is my favourite game, and it is also the most objectively perfect game I've ever played in my life.

Well, I thought that False Swipe left the opponent with 1 HP instantly even if it had full HP, so I had it on my Sceptile and I thought it was OP as fuck until I was disappointed, lol. I still remember having False Swipe + Quick Attack on Sceptile though, and I thought it was a legitimate strategy. I couldn't ever beat Steven though, and that's why I'm excited as hell for ORAS! to get my revenge on Steven and the E4 in general. I'll probably recreate my same team!

Unlike other people here I didn't start playing Pokemon until literally 1 year ago. I was bored at home one day so I decided to play Pokemon Red on an emulator and it was pretty fun, well at least until I didn't have a a Pokemon that learned Cut and I needed Cut to get to Lt. Surge but I couldn't so I stopped playing Pokemon Red forever. Then I started playing Pokemon Silver on an emulator and it was awesome. Ferligatr solo'd the whole game with only Cut while I had some other low level Pokemon I didn't use much and a random Entei I caught on the first Pokemon route. Since you couldn't see the base power of a move back in generation 2 I thought Cut was the strongest move because cutting someone to death hurts and when you overlevel about 40 levels higher than the gym it does OHKO stuff. Anyways I was a noob one year ago but it was pretty fun. I bought Diamond and Pearl later for me and my sister to play in the summer vacation and that is what got me hooked on Pokemon.

I am not sure wheter my first real Pokemon game would be Red, Silver or Diamond but either way none of those 3 are my favorite in the series (Well Diamond and Silver were for a while). Anyway my favorite Pokemon game in the series is Soulsilver because it's just so perfect. Gold and Silver were already amazing Pokemon games but the things the remakes added just made them so much better than anything we have ever seen before. Pokemon walking behind you, Pokeathlon, the battle frontier from Platinum returns, rematchable gym leaders, the new look of Jotho and Kanto, new legendary Pokemon to catch,an elite 4 rematch, shiny leaves and of course all the new Pokemon from generations 3 and 4. There was just so match to do in this generation that I am still not done with everything after over 400 hours of playing the game. Soul Silver and Heart Gold are just such good games that I will doubt we will ever see something as good as these games ever again.

As for funny stuff I did I am pretty dumb sometimes so there are guite a few stupid things. In Pokemon Red I literally had a Blastoise before the freaking second gym because I never bothered to train other Pokemon. In Pokemon Silver my Feraligatr solo'd the whole game with 4 HM moves and I got stuck at the elite 4 for that reason. Now that I think about it that Ferligatr is probably level 90 or something and I haven't even gotten through Kanto yet. I thought Cut was an amazing move so everything that got it learned it until I saw it's base power when playing Pokemon Diamond. After Pokemon Diamond I got better at the game and now here I am being a competetive Pokemon player one year after being introduced to the series.

A) Pearl

B) Platinum. Better than D/P because: no version exclusives, can actually get Gible early (without wasting Honey on a Combee) and solo the whole game with it, and the E4 and Gym Leaders actually have the correct type Pokémon (Flint's Charm-spamming Lopunny was a pain)

C) Legendary HM slaves. My process for teaching HMs was to check which of the party Pokémon could learn an HM, and have that as the only Pokémon that ever had that HM.

Comments in Bold below.

You don't need to run backwards, not a design flaw at all. Doing so would add nothing to the game. Saving had not been invented yet, Legend of Zelda (I believe) was the first to have battery saving. Glitch=glitch, what's the problem here? You can't say that one glitch is worse than another, unless it completely breaks the game. Then of course, you have to factor in the likelihood of said glitch happening by chance without the player knowing they'll activate it. Those infinite loops in the castles were puzzles, with audio cues that let you know whether you were going the right way or not. Legitimate puzzles.

There is a map, albeit an archaic one, and each dungeon is labeled "Level" 1-8. If that doesn't give the player a clue as to the difficulty curve then I don't know what would. Also, you take a hell of a lot more damage from those Centaur things on Death Mountain than you do from Octoroks, which is also a clue that you need more hearts/upgrades to be there. The game is very well designed for the time period in which it was released. I didn't play through the original LoZ until the early 2,000s, with no strategy guide of any sort and I was fine. Anecdotal evidence aside, you seem spoiled by the modern convenience offered in many games. Play Metroid, then play Super Metroid. The detailed map (for it's time, I never had issues with it) makes all of the difference (in Super Metroid). And that point is exactly why I wanted to respond to your post. Metroid (NES) has tons of screens that are identical (to my eye; it's been over 10 years since I've tried to play it). With no map I felt completely hopeless. I couldn't navigate that world. In Zelda, there aren't duplicate screens. Yes, I do agree to some extent that a lot of the puzzles are cryptic and don't make a lot of sense. For example, how would one know to play the flute at the abandoned lake (fairy fountain) to reveal level 7? Well, one clue is the Moblin walking around that screen. Each dungeon has one enemy at the entrance, cluing the player in that there's something (a dungeon, if you were paying attention) there. Finding out what reveals that secret I guess is trial and error. LoZ was really the first "sandbox" game, with few limitations as to where you could go. The ladder, bombs (which are dropped by Moblins and can be obtained immediately), raft, and candles are the only restricting items that I can think of, I really don't think there are any others. Again, to your point, there are some things hidden that aren't "fair" to the player, like burning the 7th bush to the left of this screen:

that largely aren't possible to figure out without experimenting/word of mouth (read: Internet). But as others have said, it was a new (again, after the Atari crash) medium, so the designers did what they could. The point is, these games aren't comparable, imo and in others' o. Pokémon was never confusing as to what to do, as LoZ could be at times. The difference is the amount of games released and the subsequent advancement of design theory between them.

I can't really comment on FF, as I've never played any of them (save for FF Tactics GBA, great, great game), but I can say that the difficulty of NES games was amped up a ton. One theory, for which I am a proponent of, is that NES games would have been incredibly short had they not been super difficult. The level curve in FF1 could be due to this.

Last edited:

DeBlois

Banned deucer.
A) What your first Pokemon game was? Red.

B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?) Yes, still is and will always be.

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series? It's not really when i first got it, but I trained a Kadabra to level 100 trying to get him to evolve. We didn't really have the internet back then and my friend told me it evolved at level 100.. I was a very gullible 5 year old :)

Red (Believe it or not)
No it isn't, Pokemon Emerald is my favourite game. Reason being is because I felt connected to the Hoenn region more so than to Kanto.
Lacked a solid strategy, really. Just added powerful moves to a Pokemon and BAM.

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pokémon Yellow / Gold. Yellow was the first Pokemon game I played, however, my first own game was Gold.

Both first, second and third generation was awesome. But I guess G/S/C and Colosseum are my favorite.

Since I was like 3 years old when I started playing Pokemon for the first time, I don't remember too much of it. I remember I gave all my Pokemon Hyper Beam though, because cool animation and that 150 Base Power n_n

A) what your first pokemon game was?
Red version.

B) is your first game also your favorite game?
Yes, but it's very close. Soul Silver, Platinum, & Colosseum all have either stronger stories or more post game material but nothing is as exciting as the games you begin with. I loved FiredRed too, and hope they make another re-release down the line.

C) anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
Take your pick. The Missingno glitch several times until it corrupted my data & I had to start over, giving all my pokemon moves they used from the anime (I really thought seismic toss was awesome), believing dumb mew rumors at school, and making some up. The weirdest thing is that I lied and told classmates that charizard evolves into a dragon and turns black, years later that lie turned into truth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)