Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - July 2009

So, as a whole, a Rotom Form is 9th most used pokemon in the game. I would have thought it would be higher, it's a great counter to a CB Scizor locked on Bullet Punch, and Scarfed Rotom-H is about the only counter to a SD Lucario, besides Gengar.

Speaking of Scizor, it's fallen a little in useage. From 29.14% to 28.76%. Salamance has gained about 0.5% useage, roughly what Scizor lost...

In fact, the only top 10 pokemon from last month who have gained useage (And only a small amount) are Salamance, Lucario (Who jumped 3 spots, due to others falling) and Gengar (Up from 10th to 9th). The is a sign that OU is becoming more balanced.

Latias is out of the Top 10. And it was once Uber...

The group of pokemon above 10% stays at 15 this month as well, if you don't count Rotom-A.

What interests me is this:

45th: Heracross (OU)
46th: Porygon Z (OU)
47th: Umbreon (Recently Promoted to OU)
48th: Porygon2 (UU)
49th: Rhypieror (OU)
50th: Alakazam (OU)
51st: Roserade (UU)
52nd: Rotom-C (OU)
53rd: Dugtrio (UU recently)
60th: Rotom-W (2nd Lowest OU)
108th: Rotom-F (Lowest OU)

I'm not counting Rotom-W, who is 100% not OU

What does this show? The highest UU there is Porygon2, above 3 OU pokemon, and just below Umbreon, who is also OU. This means several things:

1: The 'border' of OU and UU is somewhere around here, as there is a mix of OU and UU.
2: Either Porygon2 is now OU, unoffically, or, Alakazam, Rhyperior, and Rotom-C and UU. (Not until the adjustments in October though)
3: If Porygon2 is OU, is Roserade UU? If that is the case, Rotom-C is UU.
4: Rotom-F is not OU. It's almost NU.
5: If we somehow count Rotom-W as OU, OU will have to include everything above it. And don't get me started on Rotom-F, who, if OU, would abolish the need for teirs.

We go by useage statistics. I included Heracross and Dugtrio to show several things:

1: Dugtrio has just became UU, and Donphan is just below it. If Roserade and P2 are considered OU, then maybe they should be re-considered.
2. Heracross is teetering on the brink of UU, nomatter that way you look at it.
3. Porygon2 is almost more popular than PorygonZ! 0_0

Azelf has taken the lead of the lead situation... again. I can see why Metagross is so popular as a lead, hit it, then BP the pixie! (Unfortunetly, there are few others with a priority move that would deal considerable damage, and not be at risk of Azelf's Flamethrowers)

It's worth pointing out that Garchomp is above 60% in suspect still. Lati twins are not stopping it's useage. And, if you look at Ubers, 'Chomp is 12th, far higher than all the other suspects. And people say Garchomp shouldn't be in Ubers. It seems to have fitted in comfortably. That evidence supports Garchomp = Uber. That said, the Lati's are below Blissey, Scizor, Forry, ect, ect, ect. So, by my own logic, if Chomp is Uber, and Latios is Uber as well, then everything inbetween is 'Uber'. You can't go by useage alone in Ubers, due to the catagories that Uber is defined by.

Oh, and, Salamance is Scizor's most common partner. Makes sence, Mance resists Fire, Scizor can BP Ices.

Alakazam drop to 50th!! I wonder if that means he will be uu someday?
Thats a scary prospect for the uu tier.

Finally magnezone shot up in useage. scizor must die! If only scizor did not have a fighting type move or magnezone would be a perfect counter. Still you would find no beter revenge killer of scizor.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice to see Dragonite usage slowly rising.

| Dragonite | Nature | Jolly | 19.3 |
| Dragonite | Nature | Adamant | 38.8 |
Good to see that people are realizing that Jolly is just a worse Salamence.

I cannot believe this:

| 45 | Heracross | 33497 | 4.09 |
And happy birthday Smogon University Server!

Thanks for the stats Doug! Even on other forums I visit, your stats are used, so I'd like to thank you on behalf of those that don't visit this site. :)

I'm finding it amusing how Porygon2 is OU and NU at the same time. :D It'll be interesting to see where it ends up in October.

And, I think the UU players will be interested to see where Alakazam ranks in the next few months!

I've worked out the OUs of OU and UU, and Alakazam was the least used Pokemon in the 'OUs of OU', and Magmortar was the least used Pokemon in the 'OUs of UU'. So, based solely on the month of July, Porygon 2 was OU, along with all the other existing OUs.

With regards to the UU/NU boundary, Drifblim was well into the 'OUs on UU' this month, as were Ursaring, Kangaskhan and Lopunny. So those 4 NUs might move up in October, if their usages don't decrease again. I know a lot of the NU players have noticed that there is an immense amount of Normal-types to choose from, so losing 3 of them would make life easier. All the Pokemon that actually dropped to NU last month, still didn't make the 'OUs of UU'.

The UU Pokemon that missed out on the 'OUs of UU' this month are Charizard and Omastar (by a LOT), so NU players should watch their UU usages over the next couple of months.

Of course, this could all change when the tiers are actually redone in October.

So, as a whole, a Rotom Form is 9th most used pokemon in the game.

The group of pokemon above 10% stays at 15 this month as well, if you don't count Rotom-A.

What interests me is this:

45th: Heracross (OU)
46th: Porygon Z (OU)
47th: Umbreon (Recently Promoted to OU)
48th: Porygon2 (UU)
49th: Rhypieror (OU)
50th: Alakazam (OU)
51st: Roserade (UU)
52nd: Rotom-C (OU)
53rd: Dugtrio (UU recently)
60th: Rotom-W (2nd Lowest OU)
108th: Rotom-F (Lowest OU)

I'm not counting Rotom-W, who is 100% not OU

3: If Porygon2 is OU, is Roserade UU? If that is the case, Rotom-C is UU.
4: Rotom-F is not OU. It's almost NU.
5: If we somehow count Rotom-W as OU, OU will have to include everything above it. And don't get me started on Rotom-F, who, if OU, would abolish the need for teirs.
FYI, all Rotom-a(s) are tiered as a group, since the only difference is one move. So what ever the total useage of Rotom-a is as a group is which tier they all end up in.

Oh, and since this is my first post in this thread, Thanks for the dedication and all the stats you have given us, even though it started out as a personal project :p

Blissey fell considerably from June to July, going from being on 14.62% of teams to being on 13.65% of teams. This could have been a result of the rise in Tyranitar usage, from 15.96% to 16.77%. Lucario went down, however.

As a Pokemon whose usage gives a good approximation of the usage of Sandstorm stall teams, Hippowdon went up from 4.82% to 5.16%. Ludicolo, whose usage is a measurement of how common Rain teams are, went from 2.51% to 2.42%, only a small drop. Hail teams fell sharply though, with Abomasnow going from being on 3.04% of teams in June to 2.40% of teams in July.

Last month, with the usage of Sandstorm stall, Hail stall, and Blissey coming down, the metagame shifted even more away from stall teams.

My boredom brings you the changes to the top 65 of UU:

1. Roserade +0
2. Registeel +2
3. Mismagius -1
4. Milotic +1
5. Uxie +7
6. Yanmega +4
7. Blaziken +0
8. Hitmontop -5
9. Ambipom +0
10. Azumarill -4
11. Rotom +8
12. Drapion +9
13. Clefable +2
14. Spiritomb -1
15. Steelix -7
16. Arcanine -2
17. Absol -6
18. Torterra +8
19. Slowbro -2
20. Toxicroak +4
21. Claydol -3
22. Swellow +0
23. Chansey +2
24. Altaria -1
25. Moltres -9
26. Espeon +2
27. Sceptile +8
28. Venusaur +5
29. Hitmonlee -2
30. Houndoom +13
31. Feraligatr +3
32. Weezing +8
33. Ludicolo -3
34. Dugtrio (NEW)
35. Regirock -15
36. Hariyama -7
37. Lanturn +8
38. Kabutops -7
39. Blastoise -7
40. Tangrowth +11
41. Scyther -3
42. Mesprit +7
43. Miltank +4
44. Donphan (NEW)
45. Nidoking -4
46. Typhlosion -4
47. Electrode -10
48. Drifblim +15
49. Ursaring +10
50. Nidoqueen -4
51. Kangaskhan +1
52. Porygon2 -4
53. Lopunny +40
54. Magmortar -1
55. Charizard -5
56. Medicham +20
57. Gardevoir -2
58. Jumpluff -4
59. Muk +5
60. LickiLicky +12
61. Poliwrath -1
62. Ninetales -4
63. Primeape -7
64. Sandslash -2
65. Linoone +24

Biggest gains-

Lopunny +40
Linoone +24
Medicham +20
Drifblim +15
Houndoom +13
LickiLicky +12
Tangrowth +11
Ursaring +10
Drapion +9
Rotom +8
Weezing +8
Lanturn +8

Biggest losses-

Steelix -7
Primeape -7
Hariyama -7
Kabutops -7
Blastoise -7
Moltres -9
Electrode -10
Regirock -15

If current metagame trends hold, I expect the following change to the OU tier will happen in September

OU--Porygon2, Roserade
UU--Alakazam (maybe)

Roserade usage has been climbing since May, and we all know Porygon2 will make OU this time. Alakazam, meanwhile, took a huge dive from June, though it held its ground in the May-June transition. If it loses usage again, it may find itself in UU.

Other than that, it doesn't look like any unfamiliar OUs will find their way into UU next tiering.

Roserade's almost OU useage is not from it's actual use in the teir! It's from people trying to play UU matches and clicking on standard by accident.

Save Roserade!

Alakazam's sitting at 50... possibly UU usage. Crazy 0_o.
Scary...

Actually, I noticed that. It's also 38 in the lead position, but that is understandable, as it is outclassed by Azelf. Yeah, my team will now need someone to handle Alakazam in UU. (not that hard, I use defensive trick room, and Zammy can't touch Regice).

Always appreciated Doug ^_^. Have to be honest, ever since I found out about Shoddy about a year ago I've never played Wi-Fi on the DS. Shoddy has been so addicting to me, it's now a daily habit.

OU players just want to wreck our UU teams. At least mine and I am sure more teams. Stop using Roserade in OU unless your team really needs it!

OU players just want to wreck our UU teams. At least mine and I am sure more teams. Stop using Roserade in OU unless your team really needs it!
I highly doubt any of the OU players are useing Roserade just to wreck your UU teams. Roserade can provide useful sleep and Toxic Spikes support in OU, and also spikes (usually without the sleep support, though). Roserade is getting usage in OU because it's good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)