Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The the colors on the boxes and start screens of a video game cause racial uproar I will seriously dedicate the rest of my life to leaving this planet.

Seriously guys? When have the names of the games EVER indicated anything apart from the color of a starter/main legendary? Could we tell from Pokemon Diamond that it would be about a Pokemon which controls time? No. Same goes for every other Legendary/Cartridge combination we've had.

I really hope they don't change the names, they are awesome as they are. I didn't even think of any racial connotations until I came to these boards. Honestly can a person not say the words black and white in ANY context without being accused of having racist tendencies?

I think that on Pokemon Black they should change Jynx back to her original colours.
Also I thought Fighting was more of the "light" type as it's the enemy of Dark (True fighting prowess beats sneaky tricks etc).

Originally Red and Green were released in Japan, with Blue as the third game, updated. They used the Blue game for the American release, with Red and Blue.

I really don't like the games names, but thats just me.

I also doubt that they will introduce any more types, and FYI the Psychic type is actually the Light type in Japan if i'm not mistaken.

Gamefreak couldn't not be aware of the competitive metagame, even in a loose sense.
You are indeed mistaken. The psychic type is referred to as the esper type in Japanese, which has nothing to do with light.

HeartGold and SoulSilver were much better names than FireRed and LeafGreen...

I'm mainly just amused by the name choices, but--let's be honest, people--they could name the next games Puke and Booger and we'd still buy them.

I'm just wondering whether they'll have new features for use with the 3DS.

WTF. Just this morning I thought of Black and White as possible names for the next gen. Yea no one cares, still feels weird.

Based on just the names, I can't say which version I'm going to go for. I guess that will depend on the version exclusives then.

You guys think of Black and White with a bit wrong meanings. They means evil and good in OUR culture (as something to similar to Dark and Light a bit), in Japan it is a bit... opposite. Black in Japan means Nobility, Age and Experience (yeah, Black Belts from karate also shows this) and White means Youth, Naivety and Inexperience (again, karate is good example). So if you think of legends based on this, I think something like old aged looking pokemon (with beard ?) and chibi (too cute) pokemon to resemble this. But still, earlier generations shows its not the case in many situations.

And BTW I like those names. Simple, yet has some cool factor. And those racist associations... it seriously shows that american censorship is a bit ridiculous (you can also easily see some strange examples in american conversions of anime). I never thought of this before seeing this thread... Just think of it as colours and it is fine.

you guys are those vehemently politically correct people. like the annoying 12 year old kids who yell RACIST whenever you refer to something as black. black and white are fine names

What I indeed would like to know is how they will change the battle style. They announced that it will be altered in some way, but we are not sure how.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
I dislike how I went to bed like 5 minutes before the names came out...

Anyway, these are very simple names, and I like it! Now do we call this BW or WB?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well in English, it's more natural to say "Black and White" than "White and Black".

Black and White photos, Black and White TV, etc. etc.

Because of the relationship between "d" sounds and "b" sounds, "and Black" requires harder annunciation too, so "Black and White" roles off the tongue better.

RBY gen too, that's usually the order those colors are listed when people talk about primary colors. Most likely, that'll be what decides our terminology. You'll notice even the title of this thread is such-- the person who edited it probably didn't think about it. It's just natural, because our language has tendencies for set orders (do you ever here anyone say "My dad and mom"?).

Black and White has my bet (and vote).

On an interesting note, in Japanese it's more natural to say 白と黒 "White and Black" and お父さんとお母さん "Dad and Mom", so likely they will use the opposite order from us in their common terminology.

I'm actually excited about the titles because I'm hoping the Black/White is an allusion to some stylized graphics (ie Madworld). I'm not about to imply the game will be in black and white only with splashes of color (attacks), although that would be awesome.

I'm just hoping for a style change, maybe something similar to Wind Waker.

Storywise, I hope it will be more like the original RBY games. Please no more 'epic' nonsense like a Pokemon God and Pokemon that can warp time and space etc.

I like the title Black and White.

Storywise, I hope it will be more like the original RBY games. Please no more 'epic' nonsense like a Pokemon God and Pokemon that can warp time and space etc.

I like the title Black and White.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THISSSSSS
back to the basics ;)
as for the names -_-...i'm fine with them...in fact i actually like them the most by far than all others

Sorry if this has been brought up--do people think it possible that the "gameplay change" refers to moving to some kind of Active Time Battle system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)