Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer (Mark 1)

i'm doing a little cup team in platinum. not shoddy. Can anyone recomend an ev spread for a rain dance team?

Edit:
Staryu. lead for setting up rain
Buizel. Phys sweeper
Eevee. Phys sweeper
Munchlax. Spec. wall
Bagon. Spec. sweeper (hydro pump)
??? not sure for pos. 6 yet. Any ideas?

I recommend you read the little cup guides, analyses, and even some RMTs before making a team. Like, Bagon is a horrible special sweeper and your team does not really have any synergy.

I recommend you read the little cup guides, analyses, and even some RMTs before making a team. Like, Bagon is a horrible special sweeper and your team does not really have any synergy.
i know his stat isnt that great. but i was sort of relying on specs and rain. ill read the guides and come up with something.

Bagon is too slow to effectively utilize Specs. With Bagon, you generally want to run Dragon Dance or Scarf sets, otherwise other Dragons are better.

Yes, you do that.

Why do I never ever see Buneary?
It's movepool is so amazing, and it hits the magic 19 speed, whilst possessing a pretty decent 16 Attack. So really, why isn't it used?

My guess is that when people need a Normal-type to fill out their team, they just turn to Munchlax or, to a lesser extent, Porygon. :0 Taillow sometimes also. My guess is that those are the main reasons...

You can be / make that difference, though. For instance, I think Aggron is a great Pokemon, so I started using him in OU to decent success. I personally don't really want to convince people of how great he is, because the fact that people in OU don't know how to respond to a (literally) underused threat like him gives me a bit of an edge.

But if you think Buneary is great, keep using it and lead by example. Maybe you can contribute some sets to its analysis.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Buneary is kinda frail and hates priority. Especially Croagunk. It makes a good lead though

But it does have its own priority. And Healing Wish, which alone makes it awesome (in my opinion)

Because it isn't as broken as Wobbuffet is in OU. Little Cup is a fast and hard-htting metagame. Wynaut doesn't have the bulk, thanks to the lvl 5 rule, to life a super-effective move. Something that is required to Counter/Mirror Coat it back for the kill.

That wasn't a comparison to Wobbuffet. Wynaut is banned from OU play (unless I'm reading the Uber tier incorrectly, or misinterpreting it), but not in LC. That really doesn't make sense to me, which is why I'm asking.

Again, I'm not venting about his position in LC, nor am I trying to make an argument against it.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't think you understood. In OU, Wobb can wall and kill everything, and set up sweepers too. Wynaut, while not being able to wall as well, also has the ability to set up sweepers with Encore in OU. That is why it is banned. However, in LC there are many strong attackers that will easily 2HKO Wynaut, which would ruin its purpose. Therefore, it is not banned in LC.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wynaut is not banned in LC because it has never proven itself broken, it is possible that at some stage it will but since it has not done so yet we have not banned it. OU bans do not affect LC, LC is not just a different tier; it has a different base ruleset. That said, I did post a topic in PR proposing that Wynaut be unbanned in OU, and hopefully it will be included in the next round of testing.

Wynaut is not banned in LC because it has never proven itself broken, it is possible that at some stage it will but since it has not done so yet we have not banned it. OU bans do not affect LC, LC is not just a different tier; it has a different base ruleset. That said, I did post a topic in PR proposing that Wynaut be unbanned in OU, and hopefully it will be included in the next round of testing.
Yeah, imo Wynaut should be unbanned from OU.

However, my question was completely independent from Wobbuffet and I had not made a reference to him. My question wasn't really about Wynaut's position in LC, or his position from OU, but a combination of both. Imo it just doesn't make sense that he's allowed in a weaker tier but not in the standard metagame.

Yeah, imo Wynaut should be unbanned from OU.

However, my question was completely independent from Wobbuffet and I had not made a reference to him. My question wasn't really about Wynaut's position in LC, or his position from OU, but a combination of both. Imo it just doesn't make sense that he's allowed in a weaker tier but not in the standard metagame.
That's because little cup isn't a tier. It is a metagame. Standard and Little Cup are two different metagames. In little cup, there is Little Cup OU, Little Cup Ubers, and eventually Little Cup UU etc.

Your question is basically saying "Why is body checking allowed in Hockey and not allowed in basketball???"

Maybe, but what makes Wynaut broken in OU but not LC? Of course it's different, but if things like Bagon are capable of killing Wynaut, why are Salamence, Tyranitar, Scizor etc. incapable of doing the same?

Maybe, but what makes Wynaut broken in OU but not LC? Of course it's different, but if things like Bagon are capable of killing Wynaut, why are Salamence, Tyranitar, Scizor etc. incapable of doing the same?
Because of the way damage is calculated, attacks generally do more damage at level 5 than level 100.

"Why can Wayne Gretzky beat Michael Jordan at Hockey and not basket ball??"

They are different metagames. I think we are done here. Wynaut, for whatever complicated mathematical reason, is easily beaten by Pokemon at lvl 5 and not 100. You can't keep comparing Standard OU to LC.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There is a significant stat bias towards bottom stage 'mons having higher offensive stats, and lower defenses. This has lead to a very different metagame. There are very few true walls for Wynaut to use Encore safely on (bronzor and... lileep?), and fewer non offensive moves in general to switch in on.

But really, it all comes down to this: Wynaut has not been shown to be broken in LC, so it is not banned here. Wynaut has also not been shown to be broken in OU, so, in my opinion, should be tested, but is currently banned and will not be unbanned without testing.

So basically instead of being the god of support like it (possibly) would be in OU, in LC it's limited to removing Scarfed Pokemon or a particular Pokemon for to open up a hole for something else (like a Diglett with a different style)?

Speaking of Diglett, how much more effective is Arena Trap in LC? Does anything ever run Shed Shell, or is that a waste of an item?

Diglett cannot trap Flyers or levitators, so unless they are Steel (namely Bronzor), Shed Shell is a waste on them. Shed Shell on Bronzor is only to escape from Magnet Pull (or the aforementioned Wynaut).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)