CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 9 - (Sprite Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleet said:
I absolutely love the back-sprite done like this, and would be interested on other artist's takes on that position. I think DarkSlay made some good suggestions that I agree with, but overall it's a fantastic sprite Sleet.

Edit: To clarify, I didn't mean that I think the picture should be pixel-overed (and I was aware of Cartoons artwork of the position). To be honest I didn't even consider the possibility; I know next to nothing about spriting. Sorry about the confusion. I still think that this position (as drawn by Cartoons) is fantastic, and would love to see it scratched.

Wyverii said:
Wyverii, your sprite looks great, especially those lethal-looking claws. However (and it may just be me) I think the left half of the body looks strangely positioned. I feel as if the (mon's) right wing and head should face more towards the front. It also seems as if the legs have been shortened a bit from the artwork, they look a little stubby to me.

Sleet, I have a single qualm with your amazing sprite. On the front sprite, on the far right, the feathers seem a bit straight and pointed, and don't curve with the natural progression of the rest of the feathers on the wing.

also, with Wyveriii's drawing...

I think the Tail should be fully shown, not hidden up near the face...

@Mektar - loove the pose, but the head seems a bit shrunken.

mind if I do a splice to show you what I mean? I won't submit it for competition...

(I'll send it via VM)

Bonjour.

This is my new sprite with a green perimeter. Inside the green is a 96x96 canvas, a new back, a new front, and potential female alterations.

ANYWAY. Thanks for the feedback and support, people! Any more on the newest versions?
I love your sprite, but I, too, did have suggestions for adjustments.

1. As most others are saying, the proportions of the feathers are a little out of place. Just saying.

2. I think the male should have a little less hair in the front, so to create a little more distingshion between male and female. Total personal preference, you can ignore this one if you want.

And 3. The feet are a little too long (take out 1 pixel across his entire foot), his feet are a tad, well, flat, and trim the toenails.

suntt123- I personally think the body should be lighter, i didn't have a problem with the wings...<(refer to edit). Now though, the body and wings seems to blend colours too much compared to the actual art. I'm still loving the pose and it's defs my favourite, so yeah, I think the body just needs some lightening and it will be perfect. Oh, and it's supposed to be on a clear background. I don't know if that applies yet though. :D

EDIT: I just revisited the original artwork and your pre-lightened sprite. I think your initial wing colours are more accurate. Too many of these spriters are making the wings look more orange, and your original was brown-winged, so i suggest you bring that shading back and just lighten the body this time. It would be more accurate with Cartoons! colours.

Mektar: My problem with it is that the outline doesn't have much shading, and that it is brown even when on the white fur. The other sprites have gone for shades of grey, maybe try that

Bonjour.

This is my new sprite with a green perimeter. Inside the green is a 96x96 canvas, a new back, a new front, and potential female alterations.
On the right side, its left claw looks flat and almost crushed. Its left leg looks flat and tube-like. Also work on the shading of the shoulder feathers in the right. Maybe even do new lineart.

EDIT: I also noticed that the 'bird beak' looks smaller on the back sprite than the front sprite. Work on that as well.

yeah i too am really digging sleet's back sprite. making it look like a cloak is really quite effective.

i also seem to be liking the sprites that are standing rather than flying for some reason.

Sleet's back sprite is just pure win! I'd use Tomohawk just to see that on the screen. People seem to demand that front and back sprites correspond precisely. I'd suggest keeping the back sprite as it, and just modify the front sprite.

An observation: The angle between the head feathers of the front sprite seems not the same as that in the back sprite.

First attempt at back. I think the white fluff back there could stand to be shifted around a bit to put it in line, tail's missing since I'll be messing with that on the front.

Now I've got to mention something. We have an unprecedented amount of pixel overs in this thread, altered or not. Sleet's front and back, Darthvader's and Mektar's all trace over the concept art. This is not a practice I want to see spreading around in a sprite competition. It's not against the rules and people are free to vote for them if they want to but honestly I feel that people who do this should not get credit for it. They are more cartoon's sprites than anyone elses. In addition it's not exactly in the spirit of the competition. Let actually put some proper effort into it guys! I want to see a wide choice of new and exciting poses!

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Bynine's sprite would have to be my favorite so far, even if it isn't finished. Wyverii's looks pretty good as well, although I'm not digging the palette used for it's face and claws/body.

The shading IS done. It's a pixel-over of his original art, and that leg in the art has almost no shading.
And? You shouldn't copy the shading from the art you are pixel-overing as the light sources are often different. And that leg needs some massive shading.

Hey guys, hopefully it's cool for a total newbie to submit something. :> I just wanted to ask, has the actual size of this 'mon been decided? I know that very few pokémon really use the entirety of the 96x96 space, but even so, some of these sprites seem downright tiny. From the original description, "A backshot of the hulking figure," I had assumed this guy was at least around the size of Staraptor, Swanna or Unfezant (around 4' tall), so I'm trying to put something together that at least feels as big as those guys. Or am I wrong?

Hey guys, hopefully it's cool for a total newbie to submit something. :> I just wanted to ask, has the actual size of this 'mon been decided? I know that very few pokémon really use the entirety of the 96x96 space, but even so, some of these sprites seem downright tiny. From the original description, "A backshot of the hulking figure," I had assumed this guy was at least around the size of Staraptor, Swanna or Unfezant (around 4' tall), so I'm trying to put something together that at least feels as big as those guys. Or am I wrong?
Fairly sure it is up to personal preference, but you can always PM Cartoons! for more info on the intended size of it.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Thank you Wyverii for voicing out what I was thinking for awhile. I'm not diggin' all these pixel-overs either.

That said, I'm sketching out some poses too for this ~

Hello.

I made a sprite but now I probably won’t finish it.

This is as far as I got, I attempted to take some comments into consideration (feet, wings, etc)

My intention was simply to sprite the CAP monster. I wanted a final submission that could be put to the polls; it didn’t matter where it came, as long as I was as happy as I could be with it. Unfortunately, I’ve done it in a way that’s looked down upon, and maybe even seen as wrong. I suppose it’s slightly disappointing because I know I’ve put effort into it, but apparently it’s not enough. It might not be against the rules, but it sure feels like it might as well be.

I think that a good pose is a good pose. When I saw the Pokémon, I wanted this kind of ‘attitude’ in the sprite. I did not enter my sprite because there was a pre-made back picture with an adaptable front (or vice versa). I entered my sprite because I thought these pictures captured the manner of what I envisioned this Pokémon to be like – despite it being a primary flying type Pokémon, I don’t see it circling the airs above, I saw it more land based and shaman-like. I opted to use these pictures because they captured what I saw in it, I didn’t want to mess with it too much because I thought it was perfect and I thought I might be able to do a good job of making it look respectable. This is not an excuse, but the Sugimori artworks are usually put into sprite form at some point or another (take the majority of Black/White, for example) – this is simply how I saw it, an opportunity to sprite what I wanted.

Because this isn’t in the spirit of the competition, because it isn’t a technique that is encouraged within the CAP community, I will probably not be finishing it. I don’t want to tarnish the reputation of proper entries and the excellent artists here.At this point in time, I don’t think I could finish my entry and be properly happy with it; therefore, my original intention would not be fulfilled, and so I’d be wasting my time. I cannot scratch very well, and I can barely pixel over, so I am not going to start again differently, I’d rather skulk away into the shadows and pretend I never bothered.

Yeah, yeah, sore loser, etc. Maybe I’m looking too much into it and reacting too much, but it’s an opinion that’s shared by a few people so I don’t think I have a choice but to leave the spriting to the spriters. I don't think I could handle people having such a severe distaste to something I worked quite a lot on.

I’m sorry for wasting people’s time, but thank you for the support and comments on my sprites everybody. Good luck to all participants and I hope the best wins.

And that’s that.

Hello.

This is as far as I got, I attempted to take some comments into consideration (feet, wings, etc)

My intention was simply to sprite the CAP monster. I wanted a final submission that could be put to the polls; it didn’t matter where it came, as long as I was as happy as I could be with it. Unfortunately, I’ve done it in a way that’s looked down upon, and maybe even seen as wrong. I suppose it’s slightly disappointing because I know I’ve put effort into it, but apparently it’s not enough. It might not be against the rules, but it sure feels like it might as well be.

I think that a good pose is a good pose. When I saw the Pokémon, I wanted this kind of ‘attitude’ in the sprite. I did not enter my sprite because there was a pre-made back picture with an adaptable front (or vice versa). I entered my sprite because I thought these pictures captured the manner of what I envisioned this Pokémon to be like – despite it being a primary flying type Pokémon, I don’t see it circling the airs above, I saw it more land based and shaman-like. I opted to use these pictures because they captured what I saw in it, I didn’t want to mess with it too much because I thought it was perfect and I thought I might be able to do a good job of making it look respectable. This is not an excuse, but the Sugimori artworks are usually put into sprite form at some point or another (take the majority of Black/White, for example) – this is simply how I saw it, an opportunity to sprite what I wanted.

Because this isn’t in the spirit of the competition, because it isn’t a technique that is encouraged within the CAP community, I will probably not be finishing it. I don’t want to tarnish the reputation of proper entries and the excellent artists here.At this point in time, I don’t think I could finish my entry and be properly happy with it; therefore, my original intention would not be fulfilled, and so I’d be wasting my time. I cannot scratch very well, and I can barely pixel over, so I am not going to start again differently, I’d rather skulk away into the shadows and pretend I never bothered.

Yeah, yeah, sore loser, etc. Maybe I’m looking too much into it and reacting too much, but it’s an opinion that’s shared by a few people so I don’t think I have a choice but to leave the spriting to the spriters. I don't think I could handle people having such a severe distaste to something I worked quite a lot on.

I’m sorry for wasting people’s time, but thank you for the support and comments on my sprites everybody. Good luck to all participants and I hope the best wins.

And that’s that.
I'm sure many people will agree with you, don't worry. I really like this sprite, more than the other entries.

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
@ Wyverii
Really liking your sprites, but I think there's some weirdness going on with your back sprite's foot. Maybe it's too high up? Also, rounding some of the curves on the head could make it look more of the pokemon-ish style.

In all honesty I may just ditch this sprite because it's way too big for my liking, but heres a WIP.

I actually really like it so far! I like how it looks bulky, which is something very few of the sprites have shown so far. Also, the way he's holding his paw up somehow really sells the fact that he's a special attacker IMO.

While I'll never be a talented spriter, I came up with a few ideas for shinnies:
-The Feathers Wings, and Hood are colored to look like Ho-oh.

-The Feathers Wings, and Hood are colored to look like Xatu.

-The Feathers, Wings, and Hood are colored to look like Archeops.

-The Feathers, Wings, and Hood are colored to look like Staraptor.

Just some ideas I had just in case the spriters were having trouble coming up with colors for their shinnies.

Hello.

And that’s that.
Did I miss something? It seems as if all of this negativity came from absolutely nowhere.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wyverii, your sprites there are incredible, and I love that the pose is dynamic without being overly active. This may be a minor criticism, but it's sort of hard to tell if the pose is taking off or coming in for a kill, so to speak, since the tail feathers on both sprites sort of just hang there and don't seem to be responding to any sort of forward/downward or backward/upward velocity. Now, I know various birds of prey can keep their tail feathers aimed downward on approach to aid in slowing themselves down (so they don't crash-land), but in those cases the feathers look more rigid and straight. Might be worth considering. Overall, amazing work, and the backsprite is just as exciting as the front, which is rare, imo.

Oh, and the tail looks fine in the front sprite but may not translate as well into the back pose. Maybe experiment with the curling up above the head?

Now I've got to mention something. We have an unprecedented amount of pixel overs in this thread, altered or not. Sleet's front and back, Darthvader's and Mektar's all trace over the concept art. This is not a practice I want to see spreading around in a sprite competition. It's not against the rules and people are free to vote for them if they want to but honestly I feel that people who do this should not get credit for it. They are more cartoon's sprites than anyone elses. In addition it's not exactly in the spirit of the competition. Let actually put some proper effort into it guys! I want to see a wide choice of new and exciting poses!
Just because it's in the same pose as the main design does not mean it's a pixel over. I didn't trace a damn thing, I did mine entirely from scratch using only Paint and a mouse. I used Cartoons!'s image as reference, like I would any photograph, but the proportions and positionings are different. The BW-style neutral pose lead me to believe a stance similar to the main design worked best. To say doing that doesn't deserve any credit and indicates a lack of effort is insulting. I put as much effort into my sprite as I have for every other scratch I've done in the past few months and every entry I submitted to previous CAP projects.

"New and exciting" pose:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)