Smogon Grand Slam - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've talked with all the hosts and the TDs and we've decided to go with BW2 for the entirety of the Grand Slam. BW2 is available in all tiers on both PS! and PO, so players have a means of practicing and building teams. I know it's a little rushed for the UU Open, but by the time the other four tournaments start and the UU Open gets going, we'll be definitely very well entrenched in BW2.

If tier shifts occur during a round, they will be taken into account in the subsequent round.

damnit! i wouldve really preferred BW but oh well. just made two really good BW NU and LC teams so ill need to make some new teams

Lovely. It'll also be a neat test to see how we can adapt to tier shifts because they're really going to be unstable for quite a bit, it seems.

Lovely. It'll also be a neat test to see how we can adapt to tier shifts because they're really going to be unstable for quite a bit, it seems.
i suppose but arent tournaments made to test our skill, not how amny times we can make a good team because we have to counter a broken pokemon or tier shifts mean we cant use a certain pokemon our team was built around anymore?

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i suppose but arent tournaments made to test our skill, not how amny times we can make a good team because we have to counter a broken pokemon or tier shifts mean we cant use a certain pokemon our team was built around anymore?
If you have lots of skill, repeatedly making good teams should be easy.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Also, isn't the very premise of this tournament to make multiple good teams in several different metagames to prove your skill? I'd rather have this tour in a metagame that currently exists and that you can practice in rather than in a metagame that will be long dead by the middle of the tour.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Also, isn't the very premise of this tournament to make multiple good teams in several different metagames to prove your skill? I'd rather have this tour in a metagame that currently exists and that you can practice in rather than in a metagame that will be long dead by the middle of the tour.
This is the main point. By the time the LC Open starts the BW2 metagame will be months old already. I wouldn't want to practice and play for a tour in a metagame that hasn't technically existed for weeks.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
BW2 is a much better option imo. The UU Open may be a little too soon for a new metagame in an officail tournament, but the rest should be fine.

I didn't know the proper forum for this question but I suppose I'll ask it here since it applies to this tournament as well.

How come certain official Smogon Tournaments aren't Double Elimination? I figure it has something to do with simply moving the tournament along, as well as the amount of given activity wins and simply managing that many more matches, but it's a real question. I think the Official Smogon Tournament and the Opens here at Smogon Grand Slam would benefit nicely from a double-elim system. One major benefit is that it could theoretically decrease the complaints about people losing their entire tournament to "one haxy set," as now they have to lose TWO haxy sets to lose the tournament! Which would still happen, but yeah.

If this question should be moved elsewhere I'll move it, but I'm just curious is all ^_^

Anyway, beyond pumped for this tournament. Been definitely rushing to learn some new metagames and implement some strange BW2 tech. Excited to see how this goes :3

Very excited for this tournament, especially as it gives lesser played tiers a bit of the spotlight.

I am eager to watch how this all gets managed, because it appears like we'll be running five full-sized tournaments just to qualify for the finals. This might be a weakness in the way that the tournament is set up, but as an official tournament, it seems unlikely the numbers in signups will be kept to a minimum. I think this first one will be a bit of a learning process and the format will be edited for Grand Slam 2

Best of 1 in the opens would make this much more feasible, even if it means some of the "best players" in each metagame might get cut down early, if they intended to qualify for the finals they would have another 4 opens to get their points in. Best of 3 (in the Opens) seems to be putting too much importance on the individual opens and stretches this massive tournament out even longer.

Why? Sets of 3 games are often played at the same time as the single match... I really don't see how Bo3 changes anything from Bo1 other than possibly preventing people from going down to sheer luck/nonsense/Pokemon in a single match.

Maybe best of 1 isn't the answer, but remember these opens are going to be essentially official tournament size by themselves, and there are 5 of them. Anything to move this tournament along faster would be appreciated. Double elimination is not a possibility with the increased number of focus tournaments we have now (tour,spl,wcop,frontier,grand slam,official smogon tournament). I am a player who would ideally like to compete in as many as I can, and for that to be a possibility I think getting through tournaments efficiently will become even more important

Just asking but all you be able to post the times for the sign ups for each open as they come because I'm GMT+1 and it is really awkward for me so it would be good to know when I need to be on.

can't we just delay the UU Open and put it at the end of the list (so RU will be the first and UU will be the last, you get what i mean), that'd give everyone more time to prepare and get settled in bw2.

Also, Aurarayquaza, i think signups will be open at least 24 hours, as long as you'll check the Tournaments forum on the 16th, you should be able to get in

can't we just delay the UU Open and put it at the end of the list (so RU will be the first and UU will be the last, you get what i mean), that'd give everyone more time to prepare and get settled in bw2.
Yeah that would be great because im having trouble right now with 3 UU teams.

Also, Aurarayquaza, i think signups will be open at least 24 hours, as long as you'll check the Tournaments forum on the 16th, you should be able to get in
and thanks for the help. I wouldnt want to miss this.

In the UU tournament are we allowed to use mons LC, NU, RU, and UU? Also, will the tournament be played on PO/PS? Are there any requirements for entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)